ADVERTISEMENT

SCOTUS rules in favor of bakery in gay wedding cake case

Intolerance would've been hanging up or throwing them out the door for them being gay. That is not what happened here. Labeling him a bigot is overkill given the totality of his actions.

Based on what? Your personal interpretation of intolerance? What would you call them? Very nice people but don't like you for trying to get married? What word would you use? I think backwards ignorant bigots fits the cake, pun intended.

Intolerance would've been hanging up or throwing them out the door for them being gay. That is not what happened here. Labeling him a bigot is overkill given the totality of his actions.

The irony is you're most likely arguing with people who hate religious people for being religious. Aka bigots.

The irony is you're most likely arguing with people who hate religious people for being religious. Aka bigots.

Aaaaaand of course you spout 100% bullshit yet again.

Because I don't hate religious people, never said I do, literal lies from you.

Based on what? Your personal interpretation of intolerance? What would you call them? Very nice people but don't like you for trying to get married? What word would you use? I think backwards ignorant bigots fits the cake, pun intended.
Based on my opinion that "bigot" is a pretty strong category to put someone in and in civil discourse should be reserved for reprehensible people. You have a tendency to throw the worst characterization at people without care, though, and it makes it hard to have good discussion when you throw everyone into the deplorable category.

Based on my opinion that "bigot" is a pretty strong category to put someone in and in civil discourse should be reserved for reprehensible people. You have a tendency to throw the worst characterization at people without care, though, and it makes it hard to have good discussion when you throw everyone into the deplorable category.

You still didn't answer my question, what would you call these people? Bigot seems to fit the bill for me, considering its in the definition. But don't let me hurt your feelings based on my word choice. Wouldn't want to offend anyone in this day and age.

You still didn't answer my question, what would you call these people? Bigot seems to fit the bill for me, considering its in the definition. But don't let me hurt your feelings based on my word choice. Wouldn't want to offend anyone in this day and age.
Hey, your side made this rule. Don't blame me for it.

I don't have a label for him. From the media accounts, he's a guy who didn't have a problem with these people but their desire for a certain specific service out of all that he provides conflicted with his religious belief. Rather than treat them like dogs or condemn them as humans or any other things I would expect bigots to do, it seems like he treated them with courtesy and stated that he would attempt to find a provider for the service that he couldn't provide. If all of that is true, then it seemed like the guy was trying to do the "right thing" all around and I can't really label him with anything negative.

I don't have a label for him. From the media accounts, he's a guy who didn't have a problem with these people but their desire for a certain specific service out of all that he provides conflicted with his religious belief. Rather than treat them like dogs or condemn them as humans or any other things I would expect bigots to do, it seems like he treated them with courtesy and stated that he would attempt to find a provider for the service that he couldn't provide. If all of that is true, then it seemed like the guy was trying to do the "right thing" all around and I can't really label him with anything negative.

So bigot it is. Also definitely not my side.

Please don't tell me you are going to pull the "you are a bigot because you don't respect the views of bigots". Please tell me you are smarter than that.

Oh no. Im just wondering if there is anyone who would want your services that you would decline.

Reactions: UCFWayne
you are arguing with the biggest bigot on this forum

I dont think thats true. Ninja is just staunch in his beliefs. I really dont know that i would call anyone here a bigot. Everyone shows signs of humanity. The issue is how some people present their positions and make bigger issues into personal fights and don't have any interest in finding common ground. I'm pretty sure that theres only 1 person here that i wouldn't be able to have a beer with and find that they are as human as anyone else

Reactions: NinjaKnight
I dont think thats true. Ninja is just staunch in his beliefs. I really dont know that i would call anyone here a bigot. Everyone shows signs of humanity. The issue is how some people present their positions and make bigger issues into personal fights and don't have any interest in finding common ground. I'm pretty sure that theres only 1 person here that i wouldn't be able to have a beer with and find that they are as human as anyone else
ok chemmie is the worst. ninja gives him a run for the money every now and then and fc is right behind him.

you are arguing with the biggest bigot on this forum

Lmao Jesus you are pathetic. I am probably a bigot against stupid people, hence why Wayne has his panties in a bunch over me. I've called him out on so much bullshit.

Out of curiosity, am I the only one here who has picketed the Westboro church and White supremacists? Westboro came to my town in 2004 when a local kid died in Iraq to walk with their God Hates Fags signs and several of us went to the town square to block their view from the funeral procession. We also had the worlds foremost Neo-Nazi (Gary Lauch) living here for a while (town of 8,000) and he put together a neo-nazi march downtown. He actually called me to do electrical work on his house one time and as soon as I saw Nazi propaganda in his bedroom I walked out and told him to call someone else.

There is no label because none is required. I'd call it idiomatic... "having the courage of one's convictions" - to act in accordance with one's beliefs, especially in spite of criticism. There is no bigotry.

Out of curiosity, am I the only one here who has picketed the Westboro church and White supremacists? Westboro came to my town in 2004 when a local kid died in Iraq to walk with their God Hates Fags signs and several of us went to the town square to block their view from the funeral procession. We also had the worlds foremost Neo-Nazi (Gary Lauch) living here for a while (town of 8,000) and he put together a neo-nazi march downtown. He actually called me to do electrical work on his house one time and as soon as I saw Nazi propaganda in his bedroom I walked out and told him to call someone else.
Bigot.

There is no label because none is required. I'd call it idiomatic... "having the courage of one's convictions" - to act in accordance with one's beliefs, especially in spite of criticism. There is no bigotry.

See fab, this is why you are a moron. Suicide bombers have courage in their conviction. Neo nazi's having courage in their conviction and act in accordance with their belief's, especially in spite of criticism. You have no problem calling them bigots. But you agree with the bigotry behind these baker's, so you don't call them a bigot. You really are not an intelligent person.

See fab, this is why you are a moron. Suicide bombers have courage in their conviction. Neo nazi's having courage in their conviction and act in accordance with their belief's, especially in spite of criticism. You have no problem calling them bigots. But you agree with the bigotry behind these baker's, so you don't call them a bigot. You really are not an intelligent person.

You aren't seriously comparing this baker to a suicide bomber or a neo-nazi, both of whom advocate for genocide.

You aren't seriously comparing this baker to a suicide bomber or a neo-nazi, both of whom advocate for genocide.

I really thought you were smarter than that.

Nowhere did I compare, re-read my post and try again.

So was that a strawman argument then?

Guess I need to break out the crayons for you. Fab's entire argument bullshit because he claims that it's a good thing for these bakers to "follow their convictions". I'm pointing out that lots of terrible things were done simply because people "follow their convictions". The bakers is one of them, albeit on a much less terrible scale.

Guess I need to break out the crayons for you. Fab's entire argument bullshit because he claims that it's a good thing for these bakers to "follow their convictions". I'm pointing out that lots of terrible things were done simply because people "follow their convictions". The bakers is one of them, albeit on a much less terrible scale.
Lots of good things happen because people follow their convictions too. Abraham Lincoln comes to mind.

Lots of good things happen because people follow their convictions too. Abraham Lincoln comes to mind.
Yup. The difference between someone following their convictions and a bigot is that a bigot is intolerant of others who have different beliefs.

Yup. The difference between someone following their convictions and a bigot is that a bigot is intolerant of others who have different beliefs.
Devils advocate here, but Lincoln was intolerant of slavery.

Cool...so it's almost as if (follow closely here) the "follow your convictions" part doesn't matter, and all the matters is whether or not you are an asshole. Which brings us back to the baker's, performing an asshole act and fab claiming it's ok because they were "following their convictions".

So you are literally arguing that people need to be tolerant of these bakers being intolerant of other people.

This is literally the dumbest argument on the face of the planet, because it never ends. I can now argue that you need to be tolerant of me being intolerant of these people being intolerant. Why are you this stupid fab? Have you been eating paintchips recently?

Cool...so it's almost as if (follow closely here) the "follow your convictions" part doesn't matter, and all the matters is whether or not you are an asshole. Which brings us back to the baker's, performing an asshole act and fab claiming it's ok because they were "following their convictions".

"You are an asshole"

Ok. So a gay man calls me to do work for him but he's a prick. I decline, because he's a prick, the kind of guy who sues me. Can I decline service to him, or because i reap the benefits of being in business I have to do work for him?

"You are an asshole"

Ok. So a gay man calls me to do work for him but he's a prick. I decline, because he's a prick, the kind of guy who sues me. Can I decline service to him, or because i reap the benefits of being in business I have to do work for him?

Have you been purposefully not reading every single time I saw it was the baker's right to not serve someone? So yes, you can refuse service to this prick. Anyone can sue anyone for any reason in civil court of course, but as long as your lawyer doesn't suck donkey nuts you should win.

Have you been purposefully not reading every single time I saw it was the baker's right to not serve someone? So yes, you can refuse service to this prick. Anyone can sue anyone for any reason in civil court of course, but as long as your lawyer doesn't suck donkey nuts you should win.

Ok, well theres some common ground. Previously, i have read that due to the fact that Im in business i lose the right to choose who I do business with. Maybe that wasnt you, but it was posted as an argument agaisnt this baker.

Thats what I dont understand quite honestly. Why doesnt the baker just say that the guy was a jerk and he didnt want to do business with him? Keeps the whole thing out of court because we are allowed to discriminate based on personality. Seems like a fool-proof way of avoiding the whole thing.

And FTR, its obvious that in this case the customer WAS an asshole. Making a political case out of something that was so easily resolved that the baker himself went out of his way to alleviate. It isnt about gay rights any more than the black panthers were just about black equality. It was militant in nature and a platform to make a political statement about the supremecy of one sects beliefs over another.

Ok, well theres some common ground. Previously, i have read that due to the fact that Im in business i lose the right to choose who I do business with. Maybe that wasnt you, but it was posted as an argument agaisnt this baker.

Thats what I dont understand quite honestly. Why doesnt the baker just say that the guy was a jerk and he didnt want to do business with him? Keeps the whole thing out of court because we are allowed to discriminate based on personality. Seems like a fool-proof way of avoiding the whole thing.

And FTR, its obvious that in this case the customer WAS an asshole. Making a political case out of something that was so easily resolved that the baker himself went out of his way to alleviate. It isnt about gay rights any more than the black panthers were just about black equality. It was militant in nature and a platform to make a political statement about the supremecy of one sects beliefs over another.

Maybe they were an asshole about it. I know I would be if someone said they wouldn't serve me because they don't agree with my lifestyle. My same lifestyle that has absolutely zero impact on them. MYOB and don't be a c*nt.

Maybe it was trying to make a political statement, and thats fine too because their belief system is 100% supreme over the bakers, because they aren't judgmental assholes refusing to serve someone simple because of how that person lives their life.

Maybe they were an asshole about it. I know I would be if someone said they wouldn't serve me because they don't agree with my lifestyle. My same lifestyle that has absolutely zero impact on them. MYOB and don't be a c*nt.

Maybe it was trying to make a political statement, and thats fine too because their belief system is 100% supreme over the bakers, because they aren't judgmental assholes refusing to serve someone simple because of how that person lives their life.

Gary Laucks lifestyle didnt affect me at all. I still refused service.

The one who put forth the argument in your first paragraph was chemmie.

Previously, i have read that due to the fact that Im in business i lose the right to choose who I do business with.

Safety regulations, roads, emergency services, communications, health regulations, utilities... all are cases where the government tells businesses how they can run their business in our society. Discrimination against protected classes is no different. It is illegal.

(yes, I have already stated homosexuals are not currently a protected class...and you replied by saying protected classes were just "pet causes.")

Safety regulations, roads, emergency services, communications, health regulations, utilities... all are cases where the government tells businesses how they can run their business in our society. Discrimination against protected classes is no different. It is illegal.

(yes, I have already stated homosexuals are not currently a protected class...and you replied by saying protected classes were just "pet causes.")

Well thats just stupid. Why just protected classes? If I'm reaping the benefits of being in business i should have to serve everyone regardless of class. Like homosexuals and Nazis alike.

Well thats just stupid. Why just protected classes? If I'm reaping the benefits of being in business i should have to serve everyone regardless of class. Like homosexuals and Nazis alike.
everyone is equal. some are more equal than others though

ADVERTISEMENT