ADVERTISEMENT

Serious G5 vs P5 question

If you can't beat Pitt, you wouldn't survive a whole season in P5. Come back around when you have something to offer -- a TV market that brings in added revenue, a team that can consistently beat P5 opponents, etc.
but we can and have beat Pitt, very handily I might add, spanked em like a child.

Why are you still here again?

If you can't beat Pitt, you wouldn't survive a whole season in P5. Come back around when you have something to offer -- a TV market that brings in added revenue, a team that can consistently beat P5 opponents, etc.
Remove Clemson and the dead weight in the AAC, there isn't a difference in leagues except for money.

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
Really! that is what your going with for your argument? UCF was up on PITT 31 to 21 and PITT won the game on a last minute trick play. Do you realize how lucky PITT was to get that win. This game could have gone multiple ways for both teams? Also you seems to be forgetting if UCF is in a P5 conference they would be able to recruit P5 lineman to play a P5 schedule. You opened the door for this. "What has PITT done in the last 10 years?" Come back when PITT is relevant again.:sunglasses:

Why are you relevant? Because you beat Auburn once? Big deal.

And what merit are you talking about? You have an overwhelmingly losing record against P5 teams. The sum total of your "merit" are wins against Baylor, Pitt, Maryland and a disinterested Auburn team. A handful of wins against mid-level P5 teams isn't merit. It's whining. You need to man up and adopt Boise State's "anywhere, anytime" attitude. Or keep playing YuckConn. Up to you. But it's not a cartel. You want admission to a major conference but don't bring a winning record against P5 teams nor the added revenues of delivering a full, new TV market. That's two huge strikes.

And what merit are you talking about? You have an overwhelmingly losing record against P5 teams. The sum total of your "merit" are wins against Baylor, Pitt, Maryland and a disinterested Auburn team. A handful of wins against mid-level P5 teams isn't merit. It's whining. You need to man up and adopt Boise State's "anywhere, anytime" attitude. Or keep playing YuckConn. Up to you. But it's not a cartel. You want admission to a major conference but don't bring a winning record against P5 teams nor the added revenues of delivering a full, new TV market. That's two huge strikes.
Bla bla bla. Were relevant because we play in a conference every bit as tough as yours, and have won more games, and bigger games than your team has the past 3 years, but possibly even decade. Were also relevant because were not a bunch of trashy losers who know they aren't going anywhere and have nothing better to do but troll those who are better than us. We also complemented and won graciously against that same team a year ago. Your irrelevant and need to do your team a favor and crawl back to whatever hole you came from.

Bla bla bla. Were relevant because we play in a conference every bit as tough as yours, and have won more games, and bigger games than your team has the past 3 years, but possibly even decade. Were also relevant because were not a bunch of trashy losers who know they aren't going anywhere and have nothing better to do but troll those who are better than us. We also complemented and won graciously against that same team a year ago. Your irrelevant and need to do your team a favor and crawl back to whatever hole you came from.

To Pitt’s credit they beat Clemson one year and Clemson went on to win the NC recently. We were their super bowl this year and this guys acting like Delaware is a better team. Most of pitt’s fans that I’ve seen are a better breed than this clown.

This dude is trolling and winning because you’re responding. If everyone ignored him he’d go away. His momma only gives him so much internet time a day, and he chooses to spend it here because no one else listens to him. Please stop responding, and maybe after day 9, he’ll move on to smaller and worse things.

I don't know if you've checked your own record, but Pitt has a LOSING record of 29-34 against P5 teams since 2013.

Clearly a troll. Boise's motto isn't anywhere anytime. In fact UCF has more P5 games in the last decade than they do, but nice try. The anywhere anytime was Miami. We own over 50% of all conference hardware. When has Pitt won it's conference? You can talk about how the AAC is inferior but aside from Clemson, the AAC has plenty of teams that would compete with most of the ACC. Yet, it's done on a fraction of the revenue and notoriety.

Mississippi State chanting "SEC SEC" at us after beating us in the Liberty Bowl 10-3 still sticks in my craw.
The three things that irk me about that game the most...
1) the damn cowbells
2) not getting 24K the rushing record
3) THE DAMN COWBELLS

Reactions: ahabmw
To Pitt’s credit they beat Clemson one year and Clemson went on to win the NC recently. We were their super bowl this year and this guys acting like Delaware is a better team. Most of pitt’s fans that I’ve seen are a better breed than this clown.

This dude is trolling and winning because you’re responding. If everyone ignored him he’d go away. His momma only gives him so much internet time a day, and he chooses to spend it here because no one else listens to him. Please stop responding, and maybe after day 9, he’ll move on to smaller and worse things.
While I disagree about Pitt’s fans being “better breed” than this guy or gal (the fans sitting around us @ the game were total trash), I wouldn’t be surprised if he/she is actually a usf troll rather than actual Pitt fan.

Bla bla bla. Were relevant because we play in a conference every bit as tough as yours

The AAC has only won 7 of its last 24 games against the ACC...and none of those games even included Clemson. The ACC is a significantly better conference.

Most P5 schools are relevant because of 12-15 historic programs. The rest are upper G5 level.

Would agree with this is there was legitimacy to the P5/G5 classifications other than being told that's where your team falls based on the conference. But, yes, agree and some not even "upper level" if all was an equal playing field in all aspects (recruiting, money, etc.)

Pitts Bowl games the last 11 years. I’ll just leave it here. No need to expand on it.

I'll just leave this here. No need to expand on THIS: Outscored 101-86 in the series. 1-2 against Pitt in the series. Six sacks and 12 TFL. And -- worst of all -- UCF chickened out of a road game and never showed up after the 52-7 beatdown at your place. You can't talk smack if you hide behind your AD's skirt and don't show up after you get slaughtered.

I'll just leave this here. No need to expand on THIS: Outscored 101-86 in the series. 1-2 against Pitt in the series. Six sacks and 12 TFL. And -- worst of all -- UCF chickened out of a road game and never showed up after the 52-7 beatdown at your place. You can't talk smack if you hide behind your AD's skirt and don't show up after you get slaughtered.
Why are we relevant? Because your bitch azz is over here constantly trolling. Your school made a T-shirt to commemorate beating us by 1 point. We have been ranked for the past 33 weeks and on the lips of national media and on the espn top 25 ticker. Now run along and play. Shouldn’t you be celebrating the big win over Delaware and trolling their forum now?

Objectively, would you say the ucf program that faced Pitt in the early 2000s (I think that’s when you played at the Citrus Bowl) is the same UCF program of today?

Can’t argue the cumulative record isn’t in our favor but I see us as much closer now than we were then.

Reactions: GoKnights2003
To the OP, I don't know exactly where this idea of being in a P5 conference brings an elitism thing comes from. Probably just a few internet warriors that like to troll, but the vast majority of fans don't claim superiority based on their conference affiliation. In the end, the average fan only brags about wins and losses. Go 3-8, nothing to brag about. Go 12-0, yeah you've got something to talk about.

That being said, it's not exactly a shocker that the P5 conferences in general are probably better than mid-majors and few would be able to argue against it. There are always exceptions to the rule, but the rule probably does have validity. Nebraska sucks balls this year and would probably lose to Memphis, Cincinnati, ucf, bsu pretty handily but the likelihood of having a winning record in the AAC or MWC is probably a lot higher than having one in the Sec or Big10. That's not a slam on any team and I sure as heck wouldn't tout a victory over Illinois more than a victory over UCF, but there is a reason that p5 conferences generally get more respect than g5s.

There's a reason why you guys tout a victory over Auburn moreso than a victory over USF even if they have the same record.
The part where I disagree is the fact the Nebraska (using your example) would have a winning record with an AAC schedule. Recruiting in the Big 10 and playing an AAC schedule you are probably right, but if they played and AAC schedule that would mean they are in the AAC. How well do you think they would recruit in that conference? Who would want to go to Lincoln to play against the Tulsa and UConns of the world every year? That is why the "we could go undefeated with your schedule too" and on the flipside the "you couldn't play our schedule week in and week out" arguments are hilarious. If we hada P5 schedule, we would be in a P5 conference and therefore be rewarded with all the benefits that come with it (up to and including recruiting). All things being equal and I mean ALL things (i.e. Conference and all perks of it) and you are highly rated 4* or 5* athlete, would you rather go to school in Orlando, FL or Starksville, MS (for instance)? You know the answer. On the flipside if your school was in a Pondunk town and played in a G5 conference how well would you recruit? Imagine if Alabama or Auburn were in CUSA instead of the SEC. What would they look like? The answer is UAB. This is why P5 check cashers are afraid of us. We are in the center of the a recruiting hotbed but continually lose highly rated recruits (with our hat on the table) to teams that are P5, even shitty ones like UK. Imagine if we were P5 and imagine if they weren't.

The part where I disagree is the fact the Nebraska (using your example) would have a winning record with an AAC schedule. Recruiting in the Big 10 and playing an AAC schedule you are probably right, but if they played and AAC schedule that would mean they are in the AAC. How well do you think they would recruit in that conference? Who would want to go to Lincoln to play against the Tulsa and UConns of the world every year? That is why the "we could go undefeated with your schedule too" and on the flipside the "you couldn't play our schedule week in and week out" arguments are hilarious. If we hada P5 schedule, we would be in a P5 conference and therefore be rewarded with all the benefits that come with it (up to and including recruiting). All things being equal and I mean ALL things (i.e. Conference and all perks of it) and you are highly rated 4* or 5* athlete, would you rather go to school in Orlando, FL or Starksville, MS (for instance)? You know the answer. On the flipside if your school was in a Pondunk town and played in a G5 conference how well would you recruit? Imagine if Alabama or Auburn were in CUSA instead of the SEC. What would they look like? The answer is UAB. This is why P5 check cashers are afraid of us. We are in the center of the a recruiting hotbed but continually lose highly rated recruits (with our hat on the table) to teams that are P5, even shitty ones like UK. Imagine if we were P5 and imagine if they weren't.
Yep

They’d only get Nebraska kids and leftovers from other states.

Reactions: ahabmw
I can't find the button to "Like" this enough times as it should be!

Just something I’ve observed over the past few seasons with all of this G5 vs P5, especially with all the trash talk Pitt gave us last week. I’m not trying to trash talk or poke fun, but I have a serious question regarding the elitist mentality of the P5 teams. As a fan of your team, wouldn’t you rather be in the G5 and dominate rather than consistently have a losing or even record year in and year out in the P5? Fans of teams in the P5 act like they’re superior just because they claim P5 status. What’s the fun of being in the P5 if you can’t compete? There are teams like Vandy, Rutgers among others who can’t consistently compete in the P5. Would I like to be in their shoes? No. I can honestly say I’d rather be stuck in the G5 for the rest of eternity than be a losing P5 program. At the end of the day, winning is fun. Losing isn’t. No matter what conference your team is in.
One word: Money

Reactions: GoKnights2003
Day 10

I'll just leave this here. No need to expand on THIS: Outscored 101-86 in the series. 1-2 against Pitt in the series. Six sacks and 12 TFL. And -- worst of all -- UCF chickened out of a road game and never showed up after the 52-7 beatdown at your place. You can't talk smack if you hide behind your AD's skirt and don't show up after you get slaughtered.[/QUOTE
It was sad on day 3... this is a whole new level.
Do you think he's coming back? I think we pissed him off.

Objectively, would you say the ucf program that faced Pitt in the early 2000s (I think that’s when you played at the Citrus Bowl) is the same UCF program of today?

Can’t argue the cumulative record isn’t in our favor but I see us as much closer now than we were then.
We didn't even have a football program until 2004. Prior to that we just had a football team that showed up and played games. We did not provide the support and facilities for success. There is a big difference in the way we handle our program from then until now.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
We didn't even have a football program until 2004. Prior to that we just had a football team that showed up and played. There is a big difference.
Culpepper? No we had a team, and they did more than just show up and play. Albeit we weren't we we are now, but you start somewhere.

We didn't even have a football program until 2004. Prior to that we just had a football team that showed up and played games. We did not provide the support and facilities for success. There is a big difference in the way we handle our program from then until now.
Oh I 100% agree - as would anyone familiar with our program.

Was just curious what the Pitt guy thought since that’s a relevant consideration for the points he’s trying to make.

I get your point, but it's kind of a false equivalency. Put Nebraska in the MWC and yeah, we probably are competing with Wyoming and Colorado st for recruits, put UCF in the SEC and you're competing with Alabama for recruits. Obviously that makes Nebraska worse and UCF better, which is kind of the point of the thread. In general, the P5 conferences are better than the G5 conferences overall. That's not a slam, and I think UCF is already capable of competing with the P5 schools every week but that's the exception, not the rule.

Why are we relevant? Because your bitch azz is over here constantly trolling. Your school made a T-shirt to commemorate beating us by 1 point. We have been ranked for the past 33 weeks and on the lips of national media and on the espn top 25 ticker. Now run along and play. Shouldn’t you be celebrating the big win over Delaware and trolling their forum now?

Your proprietary National Championship indicator -- the Colley Matrix -- has you at #40.

Your proprietary National Championship indicator -- the Colley Matrix -- has you at #40.
As it should. It is a results based metric rather than a predictive metric. Similar to RPI, it is fairly useless until deep in the season. Welcome back though. Good to see we are still on your mind.

I get your point, but it's kind of a false equivalency. Put Nebraska in the MWC and yeah, we probably are competing with Wyoming and Colorado st for recruits, put UCF in the SEC and you're competing with Alabama for recruits. Obviously that makes Nebraska worse and UCF better, which is kind of the point of the thread. In general, the P5 conferences are better than the G5 conferences overall. That's not a slam, and I think UCF is already capable of competing with the P5 schools every week but that's the exception, not the rule.
That is the point. Yes as a whole P5 conferences are better than G5 conferences, which is why I would be more than happy with an autobid for the best G5 champ in the playoff vs. all conference champions (but that is a different argument). Also yes if we were in the SEC we would be competing against Alabama for recruits, but they can't get them all. I am also sure we would win a battle or 2 with them because if you were an 18 yr old kid and (with everything else being even) had the choice to live in Orlando or Tuscaloosa where would you want to live? We win enough of those little battles against Alabama, Auburn, uf, Georgia, etc, all of sudden we are an elite team. Remember we are doing what we are doing with G5 stuff (i.e. no money and no path to the playoffs) which is why we have such high highs and such low lows. Imagine what we would do if the playing field was level? Also, again imagine what teams like Alabama would do with G5 stuff. There would be no Nick Saban, no SEC schedule or a chance at the "playoff", what would they have left to offer?

Did you get yours yet?

EFLgQ7oVAAAoojK.jpg

As it should. It is a results based metric rather than a predictive metric. Similar to RPI, it is fairly useless until deep in the season. Welcome back though. Good to see we are still on your mind.
It’s hilarious how these national trolls think that it’s still 2017.

Nobody from UCF was claiming a national championship in 2018 and nobody was claiming that we were heeded that way this year

Yes, this year at this point we are 40th

Awesome

Pretty good considering we slum out the 2nd half every game. Why does any of this pertain to you. You eeked out a win with a crappy trick play when we played our worst game in 3 years every quarter. Get over it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT