ADVERTISEMENT

Sharp money coming in on Memphis

Drofleinad

Three-Star Recruit
Oct 4, 2004
Seems those who make money in Vegas (line movers) are heavily on Memphis -3.5 so much so that they've moved the line 4 points in 24 hours. Smart people think Memphis will win as the straight-up win bet for Memphis is 88% of the action so far. So why does this board not only disagree, but with a very unproven QB and a sometimes questionable defense, think that UCF will win by 2+ TDs? Memphis has nothing to lose.

Fandom can be blinding. Not taking away from the 24 wins, which is incredible, but it's got to end sometime. I think that time is 100 hours away.

Reactions: UCFBS
I want UCF to win but I know how vulnerable the streak is when we are starting a QB that does not have 1 TD pass on the season.

The next 2 games will answer a lot about Mack, he either is a safe option as a starter next season if needed or the depth chart is empty behind MM.

Put your money on Memphis if you want to.

Lucky for me I don't gamble on sports and I'm just a regular fan. I love my team and school regardless of whether or not I can make money off of them.

Our team is better over all but Memphis has a great DL and run game. We need to look out for the DL but we can stop the run.

I'm excited to see them bring out their jumbo package and try to cram it down our throats.

Like you said it has to end some time and maybe this is it. I like the threat and will enjoy the challenge win or lose.

"smart" money doesn't move the line, the general public does. There's 1000x more money played by the average joe

Reactions: Crazyhole
Put your money on Memphis if you want to.

Lucky for me I don't gamble on sports and I'm just a regular fan. I love my team and school regardless of whether or not I can make money off of them.

Our team is better over all but Memphis has a great DL and run game. We need to look out for the DL but we can stop the run.

I'm excited to see them bring out their jumbo package and try to cram it down our throats.

Like you said it has to end some time and maybe this is it. I like the threat and will enjoy the challenge win or lose.

I respect your anti-gambling stance, but it seems you haven't watched Memphis play before. They cram it down your throat out of the spread. They've never run a jumbo package even at the goal line. I'm sure the rest of your conclusions are on point though.

Yeah bro, you jelly?

Nah, Hulk Brogan. You can keep those 250+ freshman classes. Seriously with that much tuition being collected why not build a real stadium as opposed to the condemned high school bleachers you guys currently play in front of?

I respect your anti-gambling stance, but it seems you haven't watched Memphis play before. They cram it down your throat out of the spread. They've never run a jumbo package even at the goal line. I'm sure the rest of your conclusions are on point though.
Maybe my verbiage is incorrect. What do you call the package used in the 4th quarter against Houston?

I can guarantee you the people on these boards watch way more UCF and Memphis football than the "smart people" in Vegas. This is the same lazy argument that the idiots on Gameday make (the fat ass they call Bear) that are constantly proven wrong.

Sports betting is parimutuel gambling. They're not trying to be correct, they're trying to convince the unwashed masses (that are mostly ignorant) that the line is even so they get even money, then they take their vig.

Reactions: clmssun
Nah, Hulk Brogan. You can keep those 250+ freshman classes. Seriously with that much tuition being collected why not build a real stadium as opposed to the condemned high school bleachers you guys currently play in front of?

You can use tuition to build football stadiums now? Why didn’t you say so earlier! Screw libraries and professors.

Sooner or later the no respect idea gets fatiguing, as does harkening back to big past wins.

UCF is really good. Memphis is also good although has not been as good as UCF. The last two games came down to a single play. UCF was better and made that play.

It is not unreasonable to expect a closer than a TD game.

UCF is playing at home and if they get a few early breaks could run away with it.

Thin line between being proud of a terrific winning streak and chafing. The college football world managed before UCF had some nice seasons and will manage when this streak is gone.

What’s the point of coming to someone else’s board
You can use tuition to build football stadiums now? Why didn’t you say so earlier! Screw libraries and professors.

I know you're excited to be sarcastic, but I think in your excitement you forgot to make sense.

I'm assuming you think it's not allowed for universities to use tuition money to build stadiums. If that's the case, you're wrong. If, on the other hand, you're saying that those funds should be used to pay professors and build libraries, then that's a fine opinion.

I know you're excited to be sarcastic, but I think in your excitement you forgot to make sense.

I'm assuming you think it's not allowed for universities to use tuition money to build stadiums. If that's the case, you're wrong. If, on the other hand, you're saying that those funds should be used to pay professors and build libraries, then that's a fine opinion.
What about home field advantage? Seemed to help Memphis. This is 10 x worse

How about Memphis is horrible on the road this year including giving up over 300 yards rushing at Tulane.
Or, the UCF defense has given up 2 offensive TDs in the past two games...
#McRaeallday

I can guarantee you the people on these boards watch way more UCF and Memphis football than the "smart people" in Vegas. This is the same lazy argument that the idiots on Gameday make (the fat ass they call Bear) that are constantly proven wrong.

Sports betting is parimutuel gambling. They're not trying to be correct, they're trying to convince the unwashed masses (that are mostly ignorant) that the line is even so they get even money, then they take their vig.

Agree with most of this, except that there is very little known about Mack and everyone is literally guessing at how he will do. If he's terrible, UCF lose. If he's awesome, they probably win. He'll need to be better/allowed to do more if actually capable to beat Memphis. I can't emphasize enough the importance of Memphis having nothing to lose and UCF having everything to lose. That's a big factor. Maybe UCF will play better because of it, maybe not. Lots of questions.

Reactions: Mikesi
I’m saying you’re jealous of UCF. Otherwise you wouldn’t be here

I just wondered what UCF fans thoughts on the game were and after two very narrow games against each other and UCF losing their QB, I expected a more rational outlook (one thread was predicting a 3-TD win).

Reactions: SECpolitician
Sooner or later the no respect idea gets fatiguing, as does harkening back to big past wins.

UCF is really good. Memphis is also good although has not been as good as UCF. The last two games came down to a single play. UCF was better and made that play.

It is not unreasonable to expect a closer than a TD game.

UCF is playing at home and if they get a few early breaks could run away with it.

Thin line between being proud of a terrific winning streak and chafing. The college football world managed before UCF had some nice seasons and will manage when this streak is gone.
I don't blame the skeptics with the MM injury. Even when pass protection hasn't been the greatest MM would mask that with how quick he was to evade pressure, the Pittsburgh game comes to mind.

We gotta hope Mack finds a passing rhythm and that the defense plays well

Key
Tell Huep to game plan for “Memphis has nothing to lose”. Seems to be the key to the game.

I think you misspelled your coach's nickname. Side note: Heup* looks like Ted Cruz.

Also, key to the game will be stopping the best rushing tandem in the country and scoring enough points with a 1-start QB to outscore #5 offense in the country.

Last edited:
Agree with most of this, except that there is very little known about Mack and everyone is literally guessing at how he will do. If he's terrible, UCF lose. If he's awesome, they probably win. He'll need to be better/allowed to do more if actually capable to beat Memphis. I can't emphasize enough the importance of Memphis having nothing to lose and UCF having everything to lose. That's a big factor. Maybe UCF will play better because of it, maybe not. Lots of questions.
You should get a job broadcasting with your compelling insights:
1. If he's terrible, UCF loses.
2. If he's awesome, they probably win.

How many years of playing and watching sports to come up with this? Next, you'll be telling us the Patriots might not be as good without Brady as their QB? That would be a real stretch.

I just wondered what UCF fans thoughts on the game were and after two very narrow games against each other and UCF losing their QB, I expected a more rational outlook (one thread was predicting a 3-TD win).

If you came in here actually talking about football you would get more football talk. Just like Corso said, we don’t give a **** about the committee and we definitely don’t about Vegas

The nice thing is Mack got some good experience last week and the staff and put a game plan together that fits Mack's strengths.

Sucks having Vedral transfer now

Key

I think you misspelled your coaches nickname. Side note: Heup* looks like Ted Cruz.

Also, key to the game will be stopping the best rushing tandem in the country and scoring enough points with a 1-start QB to outscore #5 offense in the country.
Yawn, guy who corrects spelling mistakes. Ignored

Tulane blew this Memphis team out. ECU's freshman QB (who UCF destroyed the week prior) dropped 41 points. Houston put up 31 with their backup QB in the Liberty Bowl. Our defense is hitting its stride and Memphis plays poorly on the road and can't stop anyone from scoring. If you came here expecting UCF fans to be waving the white flag because 2018 Memphis is coming to town and 10 is in the hospital you came to the wrong place.

You should get a job broadcasting with your compelling insights:
1. If he's terrible, UCF loses.
2. If he's awesome, they probably win.

How many years of playing and watching sports to come up with this? Next, you'll be telling us the Patriots might not be as good without Brady as their QB? That would be a real stretch.

My point is that there is not much evidence to go on in regards to Mack. I'm not sure how I could have been clearer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT