ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford

I actually disagree with your take about Stanford "grinding it out" against UCF, that Stanford narrative is a little outdated. The Fox broadcast mentioned multiple times about how Coach Shaw has completely changed Stanford's approach since around Week 4/Week 5 of last season. Stanford was 60/40 pass last year, which led to a lot of late season success for them.

Stanford doesn't have the personnel on the OL and at the RB position to run the ball 40+ times a game (like they have in the past).

I think they will put the ball in their best player's hands (Costello, assuming he plays) as much as possible, and depend on him in a tough road environment to make plays. Stanford did lose a ton at the WR/TE positions, but they have a lot of young/speed guys that they like.

Should be a great game. My thing is - UCF's offensive line needs to play a lot better than they did Thursday. The need to dominate the line of scrimmage and create more push.
Stanford may not grind it out anymore, but THAT better be the game plan against UCF

If you have been following Stanford then you would know that they lost a lot of their playmakers and their RB is a senior

If they get into a shootout with us, they will be blown off the field

Stanford may not grind it out anymore, but THAT better be the game plan against UCF
If you have been following Stanford then you would know that they lost a lot of their playmakers and their RB is a senior
If they get into a shootout with us, they will be blown off the field
The goal will be to get up 14-0 quickly. They will have to start throwing a lot

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Costello is a really solid QB but man they have absolutely no speed at the skilled positions. Northwestern simply doesn’t have any speed either so that wasn’t an issue.

Wasn’t even that impressed with their o line, which the announcers said was completely rebuilt from last year because it sucked. I agree with other posters in that this game will be similar to Pitt last year.

And I’ll add, watching Stanford brought back the frustration with O’Leary. You have to have 3 well executed plays just to pick up 10 yards... and then if there’s just one penalty the whole drive is killed.

Our safeties are going to be critical. They are going to have to tackle in the open field.

Our run defense looked excellent vs FAMU.

I'm expecting a fun game.
I saw a huge jump in Collier's game. Says a lot that you fended off Hayes to start.

Reactions: KnightLife1
Someone mentioned Stanford's big O-line could be tough for our D.

Our D-line faces a much bigger O-line everyday in practice. Check their roster.

Plus, Stanford hasn't seen team speed like ours.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
What’s our chance for game day this week? There’s Iowa vs Iowa state (was hoping Iowa state lost last weekend for this reason) and Clemson vs syracuse ( my guess is this one since it’s already scheduled for abc at 7:30pm. Would be insane though if for some reason they couldn’t do it there and choose ucf again

What’s our chance for game day this week? There’s Iowa vs Iowa state (was hoping Iowa state lost last weekend for this reason) and Clemson vs syracuse ( my guess is this one since it’s already scheduled for abc at 7:30pm. Would be insane though if for some reason they couldn’t do it there and choose ucf again
I don’t know if they give us a chance this early. Still some moving parts.

Syracuse was just about the only team to give Clemson a scare last season. Syracuse shut out Liberty this weekend and faces Maryland next. Last I checked Maryland is still Maryland so Syracuse should be 2-0. Expect all of the ABC-ESPN affiliated voters to prop up the Cuse to get them ranked and give ABC a #1 vs. "ranked" team matchup on prime time.

The only possible way we might get College Gameday on Stanford weekend is if Dino closes his eyes and let's Maryland score 50 plus this weekend en route to a mud holing.

(e.t.a. I see ahab just posted about the same thing)

Syracuse was just about the only team to give Clemson a scare last season. Syracuse shut out Liberty this weekend and faces Maryland next. Last I checked Maryland is still Maryland so Syracuse should be 2-0. Expect all of the ABC-ESPN affiliated voters to prop up the Cuse to get them ranked and give ABC a #1 vs. "ranked" team matchup on prime time.

The only possible way we might get College Gameday on Stanford weekend is if Dino closes his eyes and let's Maryland score 50 plus this weekend en route to a mud holing.

Maryland scored a lot this weekend.

I am just hoping for at least a 1 pt win.
I think we can beat them by 20 if the DEs can continue to bring pressure off the edge. I think they can as we have now have a stable of DEs with power and/or speed off the edge now. Looks like Stanford will rely on the pass to move the ball this year.

Last edited:
They are big all over the field, and well coached. Assuming Costello is alright, he is a solid, veteran QB. They look pretty good to me.

We really don't know what our QBs are going to be like under real pressure, either. Our outcome comes down to QB play.
I think it comes down to line play. With time in the pocket our QBs can perform well. Without it almost no QB can do well. Also, on defense, the DL needs to bring pressure against the pass. If so, our DBs will hold the back end down well.

I think it comes down to line play. With time in the pocket our QBs can perform well. Without it almost no QB can do well. Also, on defense, the DL needs to bring pressure against the pass. If so, our DBs will hold the back end down well.

Stanford's D is legit so it will be a major battle along the lines where a scrambling QB will come into play.

It often comes down to the line play. It’s an important part of every game that needs to get more recognition

How’s the D-line in your opinion?

It often comes down to the line play. It’s an important part of every game that needs to get more recognition

I believe Stanford only returned 5-7 players on each side of the hall and only a couple of defensive linemen, so it’s pretty difficult to know much about their squad at this point. Northwestern struggled against them but they seem to play to their opponent more than any team in the country.

Last edited:

I think that our d-tackles might end up being reasonably effective against the run this year. They are a little bit light but seem to be pretty athletic. Our defensive ends seem to be pretty fast in getting around the edge so that could be a big plus this year. it looks like we might be able to create a lot more pressure in the pass game than last year.

Man if Stanford is efficient and slowing the game down, we will have to score like we did tonight...moreso.

It will be Iowa-Iowa State. 100%

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT