ADVERTISEMENT

Straws Illegal in Santa Barbara

It means we care about the environment more than people.
I understand when a small subset of people feel that way.
But this is state-level.

You could’ve criticized the stupid 6 month max jail sentence for this but that is where you guys went?

You could’ve criticized the stupid 6 month max jail sentence for this but that is where you guys went?
Sorry, but I'm going to disagree. And here's why ...

WARNING: Anecdote
My colleague Seth Vidal,** and avid cyclist, was hit by a drunk driver, who hit'n ran. Had he pulled over, and called 9-1-1, Seth might be alive today. But he didn't. Why?

Hit'n run has a far greatly reduced sentence than drunk driving in the state of North Carolina, like most states. Why? Special interest and media popularity. They've skyrocketed the minimums for killing someone when you're drunk.

So he hit Seth, left him in the ditch to be discovered the next day, and then turned himself in a few hours later, after Seth had been discovered. He was sober, and passed the test. The man had DUI arrests prior.

We really need to look -- hard -- at ourselves and why we have the minimums we do, and the fall-out from them.

Even just in Florida, from the "tough on gun crime" 10-20-LIFE we got Stand Your Ground as the counter, because of people being under virtual house arrest for years without ever being charged. We have so many laws that make the world worse, not better.

The knowingly infecting someone with HIV law was repealed, but then we pass a straw law. It's sad we even need such laws, because we should care about our fellow men and women. Just like it's sad the Germans, and then the whole EU, had to pass laws making it a crime to deny the holocaust.

But if we're going to pass laws, let's at least protect our fellow citizens from being hurt -- at least physically -- by others, who do things intentionally, for their own, selfish reasons. But apparently that's not warranted ... only the environment, and a very 'long stretch' of one.

As someone pointed out, the studies of most of the plastic in the ocean is coming from Asia, not North America.

SYG wasn’t a counter to 10-20-LIFE. Those statutes have nothing to do with each other, in law or origination.

SYG wasn’t a counter to 10-20-LIFE. Those statutes have nothing to do with each other, in law or origination.
Read up on the watershed cases that led to argument for SYG in Florida. They were all because of the powers expanded in 10-20-LIFE. ;)

Question: how in the hell do you come up with your analogies?
knowingly giving someone in california hiv used to carry a jail sentence. i know its not treatable now but its still a very bad disease for anyone to have and its extremely expensive to treat. i believe they removed it a year ago.

giving someone a plastic straw has more consequence now than knowingly giving someone a terrible disease. you dont see a problem with that? i realize they can be bad for the environment but come on.

What about crazy straws? Do they make those out of paper? If there is any straw that carries an STD it would be a crazy straw. They don't care about anything, just constantly taking as long as they want to get the liquid to your mouth. I actually don't understand this thread.

knowingly giving someone in california hiv used to carry a jail sentence. i know its not treatable now but its still a very bad disease for anyone to have and its extremely expensive to treat. i believe they removed it a year ago.

giving someone a plastic straw has more consequence now than knowingly giving someone a terrible disease. you dont see a problem with that? i realize they can be bad for the environment but come on.

Then contextualize what you are saying, FFS. You sound like a drunk hobo in your initial post. I have no idea what California laws are regarding giving someone HIV, nor do I really care. I rank it right up there with this stupid straw story.

Read up on the watershed cases that led to argument for SYG in Florida. They were all because of the powers expanded in 10-20-LIFE. ;)
I’ll agree with your premise that part of the reason the bill was put forth was because of long waits while prosecutors determined if they were going to press charges or not. The state senator who sponsored the bill cited this as a reason with the Workman case. I just don’t remember there being 10-20-life connection and don’t see why there would be given that the latter is a sentencing mandate.

Reactions: UCFBS
Then contextualize what you are saying, FFS. You sound like a drunk hobo in your initial post. I have no idea what California laws are regarding giving someone HIV, nor do I really care. I rank it right up there with this stupid straw story.
i think i or someone else had shared the story about california decriminalizing knowingly infecting someone with hiv in wc. maybe it was a facebook post idk. next time ill make sure to contextualize just for you joe ;)

i think i or someone else had shared the story about california decriminalizing knowingly infecting someone with hiv in wc. maybe it was a facebook post idk. next time ill make sure to contextualize just for you joe ;)

Sounds like a plan. I couldn’t tell if your Tourette’s was acting up again.

Last-Straw-600-LI.jpg

Reactions: UCFBS and UCFWayne
Wasn't California the 1st State to put calorie count on fast food menus and Drudge treated it like the sign of the decline of America? And now it's fairly common nationwide.

The paranoia news cycle on striped freedoms continues

Wasn't California the 1st State to put calorie count on fast food menus and Drudge treated it like the sign of the decline of America? And now it's fairly common nationwide.

No they weren’t. It was NYC and the Federal Law was then passed before California’s went into effect.

Your last comment is funny tho given the hilarious insanity in the news recently related to the many ways Kavanaugh will kill millions of people once on SCOTUS

that's right Bloomberg did it in NYC first but I thought California was the 1st State to have it go statewide on their own(didn't google) but point stills stands with the California fixation

Wait?!
You're comparing "required disclosure/warning" with "criminal law/prosecution"?!?!?!

I'm all for the government requiring corporations to disclose things to consumers. That's actual 'regulation.' In fact, every time someone argues, "There outta be a law!" I counter with, "Can we start with a disclosure/warning instead?"

It's the difference between 'regulation' ... and 'statism' or even 'authoritatism.'

I just bought a few reusable straws yesterday and plan to use those exclusively.
Thanks, Trump! MAGA!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT