ADVERTISEMENT

Suspended Will Grier Transferring from Florida

So where does he go folks. Unless he's coming to UCF I do not know what we are talking about. Lol.

I saw him play during the ole miss game. All the gossip aside. He's the real deal

I'm not sure if it's worth the energy to explain the transfer rules to you.

Per the NCAA itself.

You may be able to compete immediately after transferring if you meet ALL the following conditions:

• This is the first time you are transferring from a four-year college.
  • You play a sport other than Division I baseball, basketball, football or men’s ice hockey.
  • You are in good academic standing and making progress toward your degree.
  • The school you are transferring from has given you a written release agreement allowing you to compete immediately at your new school
You may be able to compete immediately if you meet ANY of the following conditions:

• Your sport is no longer sponsored at the school you are transferring from.
  • You return to your first school without participating at the second school.
  • You have never been recruited.
  • You have not practiced or competed in your sport for two years before your transfer.
  • You are transferring to a Division III college.
If you are a football student-athlete, you may be able to compete immediately if you meet ANY of the following conditions:

• You are transferring from a Football Bowl Subdivision college to a Football Championship Subdivision college and have at least two seasons of eligibility remaining.
  • You are transferring from a Football Championship Subdivision college which offers athletics scholarships to a Football Championship Subdivision college which does not offer athletics scholarships.
Progress toward degree: Each NCAA school decides how many credits a student must earn in a given timeframe to make appropriate progress toward a degree. To be able to compete, you must meet NCAA, conference and school rules by making progress toward earning your degree.

According to these rules, he would have to wait a year after transferring to UCF. As I understand the suspension rules, this transfer period does not apply towards the suspension period of those who have suspensions from failed substance tests. If you have anything of note showing otherwise, I'd love to see it, but at this point you simply look like the token idiot messageboard poster who consistently states another person is wrong without providing a shred of evidence showing that to be the case.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Per the NCAA itself.

You may be able to compete immediately after transferring if you meet ALL the following conditions:

• This is the first time you are transferring from a four-year college.
  • You play a sport other than Division I baseball, basketball, football or men’s ice hockey.
  • You are in good academic standing and making progress toward your degree.
  • The school you are transferring from has given you a written release agreement allowing you to compete immediately at your new school
You may be able to compete immediately if you meet ANY of the following conditions:

• Your sport is no longer sponsored at the school you are transferring from.
  • You return to your first school without participating at the second school.
  • You have never been recruited.
  • You have not practiced or competed in your sport for two years before your transfer.
  • You are transferring to a Division III college.
If you are a football student-athlete, you may be able to compete immediately if you meet ANY of the following conditions:

• You are transferring from a Football Bowl Subdivision college to a Football Championship Subdivision college and have at least two seasons of eligibility remaining.
  • You are transferring from a Football Championship Subdivision college which offers athletics scholarships to a Football Championship Subdivision college which does not offer athletics scholarships.
Progress toward degree: Each NCAA school decides how many credits a student must earn in a given timeframe to make appropriate progress toward a degree. To be able to compete, you must meet NCAA, conference and school rules by making progress toward earning your degree.

According to these rules, he would have to wait a year after transferring to UCF. As I understand the suspension rules, this transfer period does not apply towards the suspension period of those who have suspensions from failed substance tests. If you have anything of note showing otherwise, I'd love to see it, but at this point you simply look like the token idiot messageboard poster who consistently states another person is wrong without providing a shred of evidence showing that to be the case.

Alright since you want to continue playing the role of @sshat, I'll let you. What you wrote.

"Doesn't he have to sit out an entire year due to transfer rules, then the additional time for his suspension? Meaning, he'd be able to play for us starting the 7th game of the year after next?"

He would be available a year from now for us.

http://www.news4jax.com/sports/ncaa...nded-qb-will-grier-will-transfer-from-florida

http://collegespun.com/sec/florida-sec/reports-florida-quarterback-will-grier-likely-to-transfer

"If he transfers to another FBS program, he will sit the entire 2016 season, and return as a junior in 2017."

Merry Christmas.

"If he transfers to another FBS program, he will sit the entire 2016 season, and return as a junior in 2017."

Merry Christmas.

Correct...which would include sitting out the first 6 games of his then Junior season.

If Grier lands at another Football Bowl Subdivision school, he will have to sit out a season under the NCAA’s transfer rules and would return in 2017 as a redshirt junior. He then would have to serve the remainder of his suspension, or the first six games of the season.

Reactions: UCF08
Had them in the top 10. Might of been a playoff team with him. In high school he would put up 700 yard games.

Not because of him because of that defense. He looked like crap in the Tennessee game until he turned it on in the 4th. Then he had the ole miss game but that's it.

All I was saying is he would get his turn again at UF. Again saying he stayed on course and focused on conditioning etc...

How would he get his turn? Florida is Not going to bench their prized QB freshman commit for Grier if he is doing well. He can either hope that freshman fails hard or go somewhere else and win the job easily

Not because of him because of that defense. He looked like crap in the Tennessee game until he turned it on in the 4th. Then he had the ole miss game but that's it.

"Before Grier’s suspension, the quarterback led the Gators to a 6-0 record, including a fourth quarter comeback against Tennessee and a 38-10 beat down of Ole Miss. Grier had the Florida offense clicking in ways that had not been seen in Gainesville since Urban Meyers tenure, but since his suspension the offense has lacked any form of identity and stumbled to a 4-3 record. ..."

He had Florida in the top 10 and without him they bearly beat Vandy. Look at his stats. Not bad for 1st year of starting at QB.

I don't even know why we are debating whether he is a good player or not. If he's available for us, he's cleaned up his act and we don't have a viable other option down the road, he should be at least worth a consideration.

For those who think he's not that great, let him go to any of the 20-50 other schools or so that will be calling.

"Before Grier’s suspension, the quarterback led the Gators to a 6-0 record, including a fourth quarter comeback against Tennessee and a 38-10 beat down of Ole Miss. Grier had the Florida offense clicking in ways that had not been seen in Gainesville since Urban Meyers tenure, but since his suspension the offense has lacked any form of identity and stumbled to a 4-3 record. ..."

Go watch the Kentucky, Missouri and first 3 quarters of the Tennessee game then get back to me mr i didn't watch a second of Florida football reporter and guy who posted his quote.

He had Florida in the top 10 and without him they bearly beat Vandy. Look at his stats. Not bad for 1st year of starting at QB.

There are about 100 qb's could have led Florida to the same record with that elite defense. Watch the games or claim Holman is awesome based on his stats

My undergrad was from Florida so that makes me a Gator fan (secret revealed) so that means I watched every game and you didn't.

I know how Florida looked like you casual fan.

Number of people who think Grier is average, mediocre, or sucks = YOU and a few others.

Number of people who think he was very good = most on this board, Gator coaches, opposing coaches, most fans,
College football experts, opposing players, most of the universe.

Don't need a poll for this one.

I'll go with the higher numbers over your
"Every Gator game watching expertise."

Last edited:
Alright since you want to continue playing the role of @sshat, I'll let you. What you wrote.

"Doesn't he have to sit out an entire year due to transfer rules, then the additional time for his suspension? Meaning, he'd be able to play for us starting the 7th game of the year after next?"

He would be available a year from now for us.

http://www.news4jax.com/sports/ncaa...nded-qb-will-grier-will-transfer-from-florida

http://collegespun.com/sec/florida-sec/reports-florida-quarterback-will-grier-likely-to-transfer

Merry Christmas.

It's weird you post sources which don't actually state anything concerning his suspension, and then act as if they do. But then again, you've been wrong this entire thread so why would I expect anything different at this point? From CBSSports.com.

Since Grier's appeal was denied, he can't compete under NCAA rules until Oct. 12, 2016. Now he will have to enter the process of determining transfer eligibility, which can be equally frustrating for players looking to get back on the field. It is expected that he will have to serve the remainder of his suspension following his NCAA-mandated transfer year, meaning he may not be able to take the field until mid-October 2017.

Per the Orlando Sentinel

If Grier lands at another Football Bowl Subdivision school, he will have to sit out a season under the NCAA’s transfer rules and would return in 2017 as a redshirt junior. He then would have to serve the remainder of his suspension, or the first six games of the season.

Per the Miami Herald

Now, Grier faces a murky future. He could immediately transfer to a junior college school and play right away, but should he go to another Division 1 program, Grier must sit out the full 2016 season and the first six games of 2017. Regardless of whatever initial decision Grier makes, the NCAA’s six-game suspension is waiting for him if he ever plays D-1 football again. 

Happy Holidays, dumb@ss.

Go watch the Kentucky, Missouri and first 3 quarters of the Tennessee game then get back to me mr i didn't watch a second of Florida football reporter and guy who posted his quote.

It's a glass half full/half empty argument you turd. He started off rocky but he came around and he was playing well when he got suspended. Get off your high horse.

It's weird you post sources which don't actually state anything concerning his suspension, and then act as if they do. But then again, you've been wrong this entire thread so why would I expect anything different at this point? From CBSSports.com.

Since Grier's appeal was denied, he can't compete under NCAA rules until Oct. 12, 2016. Now he will have to enter the process of determining transfer eligibility, which can be equally frustrating for players looking to get back on the field. It is expected that he will have to serve the remainder of his suspension following his NCAA-mandated transfer year, meaning he may not be able to take the field until mid-October 2017.

Per the Orlando Sentinel

Per the Miami Herald

Now, Grier faces a murky future. He could immediately transfer to a junior college and play right away, but should he go to another Division 1 program, Grier must sit out the full 2016 season and the first six games of 2017. Regardless of whatever initial decision Grier makes, the NCAA’s six-game suspension is waiting for him if he ever plays D-1 football again. 

Happy Holidays, dumb@ss.

You just don't know how to stop being a douche. Now you have now created a completely different scenario from what was previously discussed. Your newspaper articles are sourced from some guys Twitter account. https://twitter.com/NickdelaTorreGC?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
You quoted the NCAA.org but you missed this part.

"If the student-athlete immediately transfers to a non-NCAA institution while ineligible and competes in collegiate competition within the 365-day period at a non-NCAA institution, the student-athlete will be ineligible for all NCAA regular season and postseason competition until the student-athlete does not compete in collegiate competition for a 365-day period. Additionally, the student-athlete must retest negative (in accordance with the testing methods authorized by the NCAA Executive Committee) and request that eligibility be reinstated by the Committee on Student-athlete Reinstatement."

And

NCAA Bylaw 14.5.1.2 student-athletes who transfer to any NCAA school from a collegiate institution while disqualified or suspended from the previous institution for disciplinary reasons must complete one calendar year in residence at the new institution before being able to compete.

You just don't know how to stop being a douche. Now you have now created a completely different scenario from what was previously discussed. Your newspaper articles are sourced from some guys Twitter account. https://twitter.com/NickdelaTorreGC?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
You quoted the NCAA.org but you missed this part.

"If the student-athlete immediately transfers to a non-NCAA institution while ineligible and competes in collegiate competition within the 365-day period at a non-NCAA institution, the student-athlete will be ineligible for all NCAA regular season and postseason competition until the student-athlete does not compete in collegiate competition for a 365-day period. Additionally, the student-athlete must retest negative (in accordance with the testing methods authorized by the NCAA Executive Committee) and request that eligibility be reinstated by the Committee on Student-athlete Reinstatement."

And

NCAA Bylaw 14.5.1.2 student-athletes who transfer to any NCAA school from a collegiate institution while disqualified or suspended from the previous institution for disciplinary reasons must complete one calendar year in residence at the new institution before being able to compete.

Yet again, you post absolutely nothing which actually proves my position wrong while somehow acting as if it vindicates you. Read what you wrote, it only applies to non-NCAA institutions, and the rules concerning transferring are not a point of contention with anyone. Furthermore, simply saying that those three actual news agencies got their source from a random twitter is nice and all, but not really compelling evidence in any way, shape, or form.

It very well might be possible that you're right, but you need to realize that you've provided no evidence of that here. And, you know, that's sort of the point.

He has to serve a 365 day ban from playing anywhere. Junior colleges are not a part of the NCAA. If he plays for one next year, he'll still have to serve out the remainder of his ban. NCAA transfer rules would require him to sit out a year (and I believe be enrolled for one full year because he's been disciplined). If he enrolled at UCF in January 2016, he would be eligible January 2017 for UCF. The NCAA rules don't have a rule for this situation, they have two. If you follow both, he's eligible after being enrolled for one full year and serving his substance abuse ban. Technically, he could enroll Fall 2016 and be eligible Fall 2017. I'm pretty sure that his family and lawyers know this and that is why he is transferring.

He has to serve a 365 day ban from playing anywhere. Junior colleges are not a part of the NCAA. If he plays for one next year, he'll still have to serve out the remainder of his ban. NCAA transfer rules would require him to sit out a year (and I believe be enrolled for one full year because he's been disciplined). If he enrolled at UCF in January 2016, he would be eligible January 2017 for UCF. The NCAA rules don't have a rule for this situation, they have two. If you follow both, he's eligible after being enrolled for one full year and serving his substance abuse ban. Technically, he could enroll Fall 2016 and be eligible Fall 2017. I'm pretty sure that his family and lawyers know this and that is why he is transferring.

The problem here is, you're not providing me a source. I've provided plenty stating explicitly that he would have to serve the rest of the suspension after the transfer period at any NCAA school, and while I understand that those news outlets could be wrong, you're giving me nothing to go on here. The transfer period could very well not apply to the suspension period, and therefore while allowing him to be eligible to join the team in the Fall of 2017, still result in him not being able to play until his 7th game that season.

The problem here is, you're not providing me a source. I've provided plenty stating explicitly that he would have to serve the rest of the suspension after the transfer period at any NCAA school, and while I understand that those news outlets could be wrong, you're giving me nothing to go on here. The transfer period could very well not apply to the suspension period, and therefore while allowing him to be eligible to join the team in the Fall of 2017, still result in him not being able to play until his 7th game that season.
Your sources are news articles, I've sourced the NCAA.

I've already explained how nothing you've posted in that NCAA source means for certain what you seem to think it does. Stop. Making. A. Fool. Of. Yourself.
Remain ignorant if you want or you can believe your own eyes. Do you really think that he would transfer only to have 1.5 seasons of eligibility vs staying at UF and having 2.5 seasons of eligibility?

"If Grier goes to another FBS team, he would have to sit out one year under NCAA transfer rules and would be a fourth-year junior when he is eligible to play." This is from ESPN

"If Grier goes to another FBS team, he would have to sit out one year under NCAA transfer rules and would be a fourth-year junior when he is eligible to play." This is from ESPN
Everybody agrees with that. The question at hand is does he get to play the entire junior year or miss the first 6 games of that junior year. Are the 1 year drug suspension and 1 year transfer rule served concurrently or consecutively. No where in the NCAA bylaws does it state that one has anything to do with the other except that he has to be enrolled in school for one calendar year before playing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT