ADVERTISEMENT

T-Will Defense

ucffan642

Four-Star Recruit
Oct 23, 2015
It’s obvious to anyone who pays attention: Our pass rush is completely non-effective when opposing offenses throw short quick slants or 5 and 10 yard quick out- routes. Our corners and db’s don’t Press at the line of scrimmage. Also, our db’s and corners never turn around to look for the ball so they either get a PI call, or a completed catch. They could have so many interceptions if they would just turn around and look for the ball. I really don’t think Coach T-Will is a good Defensive coordinator. If they don’t learn how to play pass defense, we will never beat a decent team! If I was an opposing team, I would never run the ball. I would pass every down until they prove they could stop it, which they can’t.

When is the last time we had an interception or forced fumble recovery?

Whoa slow down. Every coach faces adversity. As long as we get better from this, it’s all good.

I agree our entire coaching staff got out schemed, including t-will. Gus said as much in the post game

ECU picked apart every single mismatch and exploited every weakness. Now we get that fixed for UC

Yes. Make no mistake, ECU and Ahlers played the game of their lives. They were ready and they executed. As it's always said, it all starts up front, and we sucked on both sides of the line, more so the OL. We needed some better schemes and play to give the DL more time. They could get some pressure but it was always too late as Ahlers was throwing quick and accurate basically all night. It was puzzling to watch the defense suffer the same defeats over and over with seemingly little adjustment. Wish a bye came after this one because there's a ton of film to review!

Reactions: Yaes
It’s obvious to anyone who pays attention: Our pass rush is completely non-effective when opposing offenses throw short quick slants or 5 and 10 yard quick out- routes. Our corners and db’s don’t Press at the line of scrimmage. Also, our db’s and corners never turn around to look for the ball so they either get a PI call, or a completed catch. They could have so many interceptions if they would just turn around and look for the ball. I really don’t think Coach T-Will is a good Defensive coordinator. If they don’t learn how to play pass defense, we will never beat a decent team! If I was an opposing team, I would never run the ball. I would pass every down until they prove they could stop it, which they can’t.

Agree 1000 %. Good team, we lose.

It was pretty clear they were trying to work the clock even in the first quarter. Keeps JRP from getting any rhythm and takes advantage of our inability to cover the short yardage passing game. Didn't make any adjustment to that and got beat out wide every time.

Against SMU we had both an interception and fumble recovery.

Reactions: beelit47
Whoa slow down. Every coach faces adversity. As long as we get better from this, it’s all good.

I agree our entire coaching staff got out schemed, including t-will. Gus said as much in the post game

ECU picked apart every single mismatch and exploited every weakness. Now we get that fixed for UC
coaching staff had 9 days to look for weaknesses on their team and exploit those. Unfortunately as in the Louisville game, we didn’t and couldn’t do it. I’m curious if our coaches look at game film seriously because they are always surprised with what other teams throw at them.

Turnover margin is a major contributor to success/failure over the course of an entire season.

As of today we have a total of 7 forced turnovers (only 20 teams have forced fewer turnovers), and a turnover margin of 0 (which lands us at ~70 in the rankings).

Its that what every coaching staff is paid to do every game? This isn't "Remember the Titans" where you run the same 4 plays all season.

Is it coaching or these guys tired? Hurricane Ian effectively wiped out the bye week. These guys have been playing every 8 to 9 days.

The hurricane gave 2 long weeks instead of one bye week. It's the same number of days. We had a long week (9 days) to get ready for this one.

We got beat. ECU brought it. They wanted it more, and they beat us convincingly. There's no ifs or buts about it. It was a thumping, the kind we're not used to getting.
Agreed that we flat out lost versus were fatigued, but disagree that two slightly longer breaks is the same as one big one.

for nagging things, not seeing the field for two weeks can be the difference between healing or staying a nagging injury.

Agreed that we flat out lost versus were fatigued, but disagree that two slightly longer breaks is the same as one big one.

for nagging things, not seeing the field for two weeks can be the difference between healing or staying a nagging injury.
We bought into the press clippings and laid an egg on every facet of the game minus kicking

Have you seen the rest of the schedule BK? We're about to either get with it, or lose the rest of our games.
  • Oct 29 (Sat) 3:30 p.m.
    AAC
    vs

Cincinnati

Homecoming
    Orlando, Fla. FBC Mortgage Stadium
    TV: ESPN Radio: FM 96.9 The Game
  • University of Memphis Logo

Nov 5 (Sat) TBA
    AAC
    at
    Memphis
    Memphis, Tenn. / Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium
    Radio: FM 96.9 The Game
  • Tulane University Logo

Nov 12 (Sat) TBA
    AAC
    at
    Tulane
    New Orleans, La. / Yulman Stadium
  • United States Naval Academy Logo

Nov 19 (Sat) TBA
    AAC
    vs
    Navy
    Orlando, Fla. FBC Mortgage Stadium
  • University of South Florida Logo

Nov 26 (Sat) TBA
    AAC
    at
    South Florida

The only point I'd make is, the only coach we've had threads about was the DC, and losing him because he's so great. We actually haven't really played a good team yet, but hey, our DC was great against teams he's supposed to be good against, and even then, he was only good at 2nd half adjustments, except for 1 game where he shut them down in the 2nd. Now I hope we don't lose T-Will, his excitement etc, will eventually prove to be a huge benefit, once he learns how to run a defense the entire game. It's just not there now. I'm just probably really angry about the "We've got dogs" crap quotes from the team pre-season. It now looks like poodles, at least for this crap game. The 'best OL ever!" which looks ......... Got to stay away from pre-season hype because it's all crap. Regardless of the 15 years that their QB has been in school, ECU is not that great.

The good points about T-Will is, for the bad teams we've played, by the end of the game, he's kept their offense to the lowest yards. It would just be great if we could do it against good teams. It will happen eventually. (But, heck, I thought he'd shut down ECU in the 2nd half.)

Two troubling observations from the game that need to be addressed for our team to come out of this season with a better season than last year:

1) As some have stated, defensive back press coverage on WRs needs to be re-implemented at a minimum for third and 5-6 yard situations. Too many easy conversions being given up by D.

2) JRP seems to be unable to complete middle distance passes? Either that or the routes that the WRs are running aren't working? If the opposing defense drops their zone coverage back to prevent long passes and prevents us from getting around the edge on quick sweeps or passes to the perimeter our offense stalls. We are having little success with the middle range passes. For example: where are the slants patterns or short out patterns and where's the passes to the TE that transferred from UF? Why isn't he being used for 5 yard passes?

Extra observation / question: Where was Okeefe this last game?

The only point I'd make is, the only coach we've had threads about was the DC, and losing him because he's so great. We actually haven't really played a good team yet, but hey, our DC was great against teams he's supposed to be good against, and even then, he was only good at 2nd half adjustments, except for 1 game where he shut them down in the 2nd. Now I hope we don't lose T-Will, his excitement etc, will eventually prove to be a huge benefit, once he learns how to run a defense the entire game. It's just not there now. I'm just probably really angry about the "We've got dogs" crap quotes from the team pre-season. It now looks like poodles, at least for this crap game. The 'best OL ever!" which looks ......... Got to stay away from pre-season hype because it's all crap. Regardless of the 15 years that their QB has been in school, ECU is not that great.

The good points about T-Will is, for the bad teams we've played, by the end of the game, he's kept their offense to the lowest yards. It would just be great if we could do it against good teams. It will happen eventually. (But, heck, I thought he'd shut down ECU in the 2nd half.)
True! And I was one saying he's like the savior. But you're correct. Anyone we we played who was any good at all burned us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT