ADVERTISEMENT

Televangelist seeks donations for $54M private jet

If someone wants to hand over $54 million to someone to spread the good word, more power to him. It's not like he's using the government to force people to hand over their earnings under threat of imprisonment.

Reactions: UCFBS and UCFWayne
If someone wants to hand over $54 million to someone to spread the good word, more power to him. It's not like he's using the government to force people to hand over their earnings under threat of imprisonment.

There are many things wrong with this. Namely, some jackass telling poor people that God wants them to fund his fuking private jet.

holy shit please be trolling

There are many things wrong with this. Namely, some jackass telling poor people that God wants them to fund his fuking private jet.

That's what evangelicals are though. They spend their money to try and convert everyone to believe their Christianity. People will give him the money, that's their choice though.

holy shit please be trolling
I don’t agree with needing it by any means and wouldn’t give him, or any televangelist or evangelist either, money. But I don’t see a reason that he can’t ask for it.

LOL at this line from the story:

"Both televangelists defended their use of private jets during a joint appearance on Copeland’s program, saying that commercial airlines are filled with “a bunch of demons” that get in the way of their busy schedules."

Shouldn't they be focused on vanquishing those demons?

"Both televangelists defended their use of private jets during a joint appearance on Copeland’s program, saying that commercial airlines are filled with “a bunch of demons” that get in the way of their busy schedules."

Not that I believe in angels and demons, but you could give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he is just talking about normal travel inconveniences.

I don’t agree with needing it by any means and wouldn’t give him, or any televangelist or evangelist either, money. But I don’t see a reason that he can’t ask for it.

Maybe because it is a massive, vibrating hypocrisy to do anything remotely like this in the name of Christianity.

There are undoubtedly poor people out there listening to them and making these donations. It's absolutely scummy.
I agree. But it’s a free country. What if he only took money for the jet from wealthy donors?

What makes you think his entire outreach is to poor people?

Probably because you'd have to be an absolute and utter moron to believe the things he is saying, let alone donate money to him. And I don't know about you, but I don't know a whole lot of rich morons.

Probably because you'd have to be an absolute and utter moron to believe the things he is saying, let alone donate money to him. And I don't know about you, but I don't know a whole lot of rich morons.
trump-family-4.jpg

I keed I keed. Sort of.

I'm guessing you don't have a lot of experience with church congregations and their socioeconomic makeup.

Indeed. As long as he's not evading taxes by using it in ways that should and would be taxed, more power to him if he can dupe people into the money.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Indeed. As long as he's not evading taxes by using it in ways that should and would be taxed, more power to him if he can dupe people into the money.
Tax-free status for churches is an interesting debate. I wonder if we could have that discussion here and remain civil.

Tax-free status for churches is an interesting debate. I wonder if we could have that discussion here and remain civil.
Tax-free has limits. That's the problem, people don't realize there are limits, and that's why some have gone to jail for tax evasion. The clergy exception for individuals pretty much runs out after $50K too, including various expenses.

I have this discussion all-the-time with my colleagues who quote the 'Freedom From Religion' folk. I don't care for organized religion, but I understand the civics behind the government having no say. E.g., people don't understand it applies to some in the LGBTQ community who provide wedding services, as they are ordained ministers as well.

Not everything is the religious [political] right, far from it. And there are many who are involved with the Universal and other institutions. And then you have to factor in the sheer number of minorities, especially Southern Baptists Convention.

Last edited:
Indeed.

Some of the 'Freedom from Religion' folk are pretty radical with their lawsuits over Clergy exemptions and other things. Although I did love it when the Federal Appeals Court re-clarified that the 'Freedom from Religion' folk had just as much right to create their 'own ordained ministers' by going through the same process as anyone else. I heard that burned them up when the judge made the ruling.

I don't know how or when the 'separation of Church'n State' got morphed into 'no exceptions for Church by the State.' Apparently the 'Freedom from Religion' @$$hats flunked civics to the point they don't understand the base realities of why the US protects churches from interference from the state.

Indeed.

Some of the 'Freedom from Religion' folk are pretty radical with their lawsuits over Clergy exemptions and other things. Although I did love it when the Federal Appeals Court re-clarified that the 'Freedom from Religion' folk had just as much right to create their 'own ordained ministers' by going through the same process as anyone else. I heard that burned them up when the judge made the ruling.

I don't know how or when the 'separation of Church'n State' got morphed into 'no exceptions for Church by the State.' Apparently the 'Freedom from Religion' @$$hats flunked civics to the point they don't understand the base realities of why the US protects churches from interference from the state.
I love it when you ask where in the Consitition or Bill of Rights the words separation of church and state appear.

This is actually my fault. I work for an airline and every time I see them on a plane, I dress up like the devil and ask them if they want to play travel Yahtzee.

I love it when you ask where in the Consitition or Bill of Rights the words separation of church and state appear.
As well as the fact that the 1st Amendment spells out the Freedom of Religion, along with Speech and Press. Without an individual right of freedom of speech, there is no assembly into a free Press, there is no assembly into a free Religion. One of these days people will realize that the term 'Religion' doesn't just mean one group of people.

Still, there are limits to 'benefits' and the IRS will jump on everyone that clearly gets a 'benefit' from owning a private jet.

I don't know how anyone can sit there and say otherwise. It's straight up preying on people.
It is what turns people against religion . I watch my moms small church struggle to pay the normal bills while running a huge food bank weekly and just flat out helping folks that can’t help themselves wether it be good , clothing , shelter , transportation or whatever . That’s what I believe in

It is what turns people against religion . I watch my moms small church struggle to pay the normal bills while running a huge food bank weekly and just flat out helping folks that can’t help themselves wether it be good , clothing , shelter , transportation or whatever . That’s what I believe in

Yep, and then on the other hand you have a mega churches three stories tall the size of a city block with multimillion-dollar sound and projection system and full on coffee shops, and people going there think they are donating to charity by tithing. All they are doing is buying entertainment.

What you described is what a church should be, Jesus would literally shit a brick if he saw these southern baptist monstrosities with pastors owning Bentleys and helicopters and private jets.

Real Christians focus on charitable work and don't worry about membership or growing. I love the small, little churches that are so focused on such.

It does, but those are just people looking for confirmation bias. There are different sects and groups in every religion. Most people know that and those that choose to ignore it will never change their minds anyways. Every group has their bad eggs.

It does, but those are just people looking for confirmation bias. There are different sects and groups in every religion. Most people know that and those that choose to ignore it will never change their minds anyways. Every group has their bad eggs.
So many people stereotype all Christians as the few they know, usually the ones spewing the religious right wing non-sense that's also on TV. It's unreal to the point people refuse to believe that faith-based charities, heavily Christian, are the ones that are resettle Middle East refugees. They honestly believe the government does it, or pays for all the costs when they subsidize it.

I defend good, true Christians and their charities when they are wholly demonized by the anti-religious left. It's amazing how much they refuse to believe. They are also the same people who think we need to tax people more to do more good, and haven't spent a dollar or a second of their own money and time helping any charity either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT