ADVERTISEMENT

The Fire Gus Talk needs Perspective

TheKingStampede

Two-Star Recruit
Nov 26, 2015
The Fire Gus talk reminds me of Tennessee firing Fulmer with a 75% winning percentage back in 2008. UT has been pretty irrelevant ever since, but seem to be making progress with Heup. Auburn has had three coaches in three years.

UCF is still building its program and we need patience. We aren't in American anymore. We are in a new and tougher conference.

Remind me again how the other newcomers are doing?

The Fire Gus talk reminds me of Tennessee firing Fulmer with a 75% winning percentage back in 2008. UT has been pretty irrelevant ever since, but seem to be making progress with Heup. Auburn has had three coaches in three years.

UCF is still building its program and we need patience. We aren't in American anymore. We are in a new and tougher conference.

It’s called “program building” when you run off all the superior QB talent in the program so he can play an injury prone turnover machine of a WR at the most important position in the field?

I’ll have to remember that!

I wasn’t a Mikey Keene guy, mainly because I thought he was limited. But I’d take Mikey over Plumlee a thousand times over if it meant never seeing Plumlee take another snap at UCF.

Actually if our WR’s catch two EASY TD passes at Boise we don’t get our starting QB hurt running for first downs on the game winning drive and tearing up his knee. IF Plumlee was 100% we would be ranked right now and beating our chests at the top of the Big12.

Let’s give Gus some time to recruit B12 O line and D line guys and maybe even some LB’s???!!!???

We will beat Cincy next week and have a small chance of bowl game this year…not too many teams win with backup and/or hurt starting qbs.

For all of you fire Gus guys out there why don’t you all get off your wallets and start a buy out fund??? Put your money where your posts are. Charge On!!! Still never lost a tailgate!!

If…if…. If JRP was disciplined he wouldn’t have gotten hurt. If he had a QB IQ he wouldn’t have struggled as badly the last 2 years. That easily addresses the JRP “if” scenarios.

I’m also tired of the “Big12 competition factor” excuse as why we’re losing. Of course we need better players but Gus is still a HUGE factor in our losses. He needs to be held accountable and he has to have a true OC that he isn’t going to but in with his horrendous calls. Just recruit and be the face of the program like Saban and how Bowden used to run FSU.

Actually if our WR’s catch two EASY TD passes at Boise we don’t get our starting QB hurt running for first downs on the game winning drive and tearing up his knee. IF Plumlee was 100% we would be ranked right now and beating our chests at the top of the Big12.

Let’s give Gus some time to recruit B12 O line and D line guys and maybe even some LB’s???!!!???

We will beat Cincy next week and have a small chance of bowl game this year…not too many teams win with backup and/or hurt starting qbs.

For all of you fire Gus guys out there why don’t you all get off your wallets and start a buy out fund??? Put your money where your posts are. Charge On!!! Still never lost a tailgate!!
Exactly. The WRs have dropped so many balls this season, including in the endzone, yet Plumlee gets all the hate. I don't get it.

Reactions: U C to the F
Plumlee gets all the hate. I don't get it.
I am no big JRP fan. He does give UCF the best chance to win.

Patrick Mahomes could QB this team and would draw a lot of criticism. The quality of the roster affects QB play. If you make JRP the starter on uat's or THuga's roster, he is a Heisman candidate.

Do you really think Jalen Milroe is better than JRP?

The JRP love in here is the exact reason he's our QB. Goodness f**k. Everybody can see that he's not the answer, even former players, except for some of yall and Gus. I don't get it at all. Healthy or injured, dude's not a real QB and gets exposed by solid competition. He only piles up stats against the Villanova's, Kent State's, and Temple's of the world.

I am no big JRP fan. He does give UCF the best chance to win.

Patrick Mahomes could QB this team and would draw a lot of criticism. The quality of the roster affects QB play. If you make JRP the starter on uat's or THuga's roster, he is a Heisman candidate.

Do you really think Jalen Milroe is better than JRP?
Mahomes would tell Gussy to shut the **** up and stay out of the offense and then would score 50 points a game.

Reactions: Guinness_Knight

Gus and his staff attempts at recruiting LBs, Terrence Lewis, Branden Jennings, Antonio Grier.

Heupel Terrible staff, recruits Tatum Bethune and Jean Baptiste. One who is a defensive leader on the 4th ranked team in the nation, the other plays significantly on an SEC defense. Somehow Huepel/Shannon was able to recruit P5 players in their short tenure for a team that was no where near the B12.

No idea. I don’t follow their programs.
I am just trying to follow the logic. Is it because we are losing a lot of games vs legacy Big 12 teams? Of course, the coaching staff needs to figure things out and improve, but the fire Gus train is a bit hyperbolic, imo.

Last edited:
The only perspective is that he is signed through 2027, and we’re not making any moves at head coach until at least during/after 2025. Like it or not we’re stuck with the good and bad until then, so do as you will with your own expectations.

Here’s mine: We finish 5-7 this season. We have 4-5 wins in 2024 (2 cupcake games and 5 home conference games). At the end of this season we’re going to lose like 75% (or more) of our offensive starters.

We need to find a QB. We need to have classes at least as good as the current 2024 class. I think we should turn the corner in 2025.

Patrick Mahomes never had a winning season in college IIRC.
They went 7-6 in 2015. They went 4-8 in 2014but he only played in 7 of those games. In 2016 they went 5-7.

Man, their defense had to be way worse than ours. Mahomes was out there throwing for like 5000 yards with 41 TDs against 10 Ints, and they could barely get to .500….once.

It has been about an entire year now since the team played what you'd consider a good game against a good opponent in a winning effort. That can't be allowed to ever happen again. Terrible losing football in the last 12 months. Deserves a lot of criticism and pressure to perform closing out this stinker of a year and heading into 2024.

We are officially in ‘talk down to fans’ season

You know what is worse? Apathy. maybe that is Tik Tok’s goal

Gus owes boomer bigly for that kick at Boise. Can you imagine if we had a 12 game span where our best win was 1-11 usf with no coach on a last minute miracle catch?

Reactions: lawknight
The JRP love in here is the exact reason he's our QB. Goodness f**k. Everybody can see that he's not the answer, even former players, except for some of yall and Gus. I don't get it at all. Healthy or injured, dude's not a real QB and gets exposed by solid competition. He only piles up stats against the Villanova's, Kent State's, and Temple's of the world.
Agreed 100%. The reason is the bar is set so low for JRP that when he pulls off one good pass or a long run, the nuthuggers like to hang their hat on 1 dynamic play...

Timmy's mistakes are fixable, JRP lack of touch is NOT...

Timmy's mistakes are fixable,

When I watch the film with my own eyes, I agree with what you are saying about TN

When I listen to press conferences of opposing head coaches, however, they always praise JRP and say little positive about TM.

I can't explain that

Agreed 100%. The reason is the bar is set so low for JRP that when he pulls off one good pass or a long run, the nuthuggers like to hang their hat on 1 dynamic play...

Timmy's mistakes are fixable, JRP lack of touch is NOT...
That is what so many fans ignore when trying not to blame him for most of the turnovers. He doesn’t throw a catchable ball on short passes, never changes speeds. That will lead to more tips off the hands

Why Timmy should start the rest of the season. There is no point with our record to continue making our Football Program JRP’s 2 Sport childhood dream.

That is what so many fans ignore when trying not to blame him for most of the turnovers. He doesn’t throw a catchable ball on short passes, never changes speeds. That will lead to more tips off the hands

Why Timmy should start the rest of the season. There is no point with our record to continue making our Football Program JRP’s 2 Sport childhood dream.
I agree but I just don't think Gus will do it. I think Gus cares more for JRP than he does the future of the team.

I just got around to listening Gus in presser after the loss to WVU. Again, no real answers to anything. His whole demeaner is one of a coach who is completely baffeled and in disbelief. He doesn't understand what the problems are or how to fix them. He sounds like a coach that has given up on his team. "We've got to get better, or we got to get that fixed, or we got to learn to finish or I don't know I'll have to look at the tape" and all the other little "Gusisms" aren't answers to anything they are just statements of the obvious.

I just got around to listening Gus in presser after the loss to WVU. Again, no real answers to anything. His whole demeaner is one of a coach who is completely baffeled and in disbelief. He doesn't understand what the problems are or how to fix them. He sounds like a coach that has given up on his team. "We've got to get better, or we got to get that fixed, or we got to learn to finish or I don't know I'll have to look at the tape" and all the other little "Gusisms" aren't answers to anything they are just statements of the obvious.
I also found his presser to be ridiculously inept. He had no rationale for anything beyond very basic explanations and no clear articulation of what changes are needed to get us on track.

What did Gus do in AAC? What did he do against AAC in bowl games? Next

Agree. You can't blow it up year one especially when you have the #2 class in the BIG12. They need depth. He's not the greatest but you have to build recruiting before you axe coaches.

Agree. You can't blow it up year one especially when you have the #2 class in the BIG12. They need depth. He's not the greatest but you have to build recruiting before you axe coaches.
If he doesn't improve and gets fired all those recruits are jumping in the portal anyway.

If he doesn't improve and gets fired all those recruits are jumping in the portal anyway.
True 100%. Also he just got a raise and a 17mill buyout so if the AD is happy than why does it matter. He's locked in at the moment unfortunately. We can blame that on Terry.

True 100%. Also he just got a raise and a 17mill buyout so if the AD is happy than why does it matter. He's locked in at the moment unfortunately. We can blame that on Terry.
Which Malzahn mentioned why he came to UCF. He doesn't have to face the pressure, not seeing it from AD, not seeing it from press. He knows he can deliver 6-8 win seasons until he decides he doesn't want to collect paychecks. Add in his Auburn buyout, and this money is just play money for him.

He obviously puts effort in recruiting, but in terms of gameday prep, gameday coaching, and talking to press it looks like a guy that is auto-pilot.

The “losing” recruits argument to keep a bad coach is always a head scratcher. You will always lose a % of recruits/players when you change regimes. That should not be a factor because it’s baked into it.

Gus needs to be accountable. I get the feeling from him he gets to do whatever he wants bc UCF brass & the media aren’t holding him accountable. He clearly isn’t showing the signs of be a highly motivated and driven leader based on his pressers where he rehashes coach speak.

If all our good players weren’t high tailing it out the door already, I guess the “don’t want to lose players” argument would hold more weight.

If we started losing this year, I'd chalk it up to a new league. This slide started last year in the middle of AAC play. Since then we have had some of the most disappointing losses in UCF history.

That being said we can't even fire him with the extension he got. We have to buckle up and get on the Gus Bus and support his vision because we have no other choice.

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
did not read the thread beyond the o.p. but as an outsider, k-state fan, i have much respect for gus. remember, gary patterson was manhandled early in his b12 tenure, then turned tcu into a player after a few years recruiting b12 depth.

i see ucf doing the same under gus. he clearly understands coaching and has succeeded at the highest levels. what he needs now is some patience and support to build his player base. byu and cincy are in similar positions.

houston on the other hand should find someone new. dana is a fine offensive mind but doesn't seem to have a clue how to head coach. his team was ill prepared and thus shelled in manhattan. that didn't happen to ucf.

If we started losing this year, I'd chalk it up to a new league. This slide started last year in the middle of AAC play. Since then we have had some of the most disappointing losses in UCF history.

That being said we can't even fire him with the extension he got. We have to buckle up and get on the Gus Bus and support his vision because we have no other choice.
And that kinda sucks.

And it kinda sucks doesn't it.

did not read the thread beyond the o.p. but as an outsider, k-state fan, i have much respect for gus. remember, gary patterson was manhandled early in his b12 tenure, then turned tcu into a player after a few years recruiting b12 depth.

i see ucf doing the same under gus. he clearly understands coaching and has succeeded at the highest levels. what he needs now is some patience and support to build his player base. byu and cincy are in similar positions.

houston on the other hand should find someone new. dana is a fine offensive mind but doesn't seem to have a clue how to head coach. his team was ill prepared and thus shelled in manhattan. that didn't happen to ucf.

You are correct on all points. UCF does need to make significant changes on defense, though. That unit is historically bad.

Reactions: AVeritas
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT