ADVERTISEMENT

The Heupel Effect (Turd Effect)

"But don't be a douchebag" was what you said with my post quoted in your post.......
It said “Be disappointed, be critical, be glad we have a new coach. But don't be a douchebag” which refers to all comments in general, not yours specifically. Not sure why asking for little civility seems to be unpopular with some.

Reactions: Knight_Light
I think you have to look at Heupel's 3-year run at UCF a success, with that being said, anyone who was paying attention should've been able to see the writing on the wall that a Heupel 5-year stint at UCF would not have been viewed as a success. The program was trending in the wrong direction, but luckily for both us and him we were able to separate before most of the outside world noticed.

I think you have to look at Heupel's 3-year run at UCF a success, with that being said, anyone who was paying attention should've been able to see the writing on the wall that a Heupel 5-year stint at UCF would not have been viewed as a success. The program was trending in the wrong direction, but luckily for both us and him we were able to separate before most of the outside world noticed.
I think this is the majority take. Heupel was the best we could get at the time, a mild to moderate success, and we dodged a bullet that he left when he did.

The outliers seem to be the people that think he was great and the people that think he was so terrible, they need to keep talking about him.

Whether you supported him or bashed him while he was here, fact of the matter is it doesn’t matter much now. He gone. Either Malzahn will have us winning the conference and in the NY6 again or he won’t. It won’t have anything to do with Missouri’s defensive stats while Heupel OCed there.

I think this is the majority take. Heupel was the best we could get at the time, a mild to moderate success, and we dodged a bullet that he left when he did.

The outliers seem to be the people that think he was great and the people that think he was so terrible, they need to keep talking about him.
Clear and rational perspective in your post.

It’s just crazy to think that Heupel went 28-8. Best in UCF coaching history. Definitely was trending downward. I would not have been overly confident in a successful 2021 season with him as the coach.
Definitely would have been a make-or-break season. That said, the situation was resolved and we ended up with a much better staff, and additional money to boot. Win-Win for the Knights. Let's hope it translates to the field.

Definitely would have been a make-or-break season. That said, the situation was resolved and we ended up with a much better staff, and additional money to boot. Win-Win for the Knights. Let's hope it translates to the field.
If Heupel came to us after O’Leary and after 3 seasons was 28-8, no matter if it was 2 and 3 losses per year, we’d be upset he left. We got spoiled after 3 great seasons in a row.

If Heupel came to us after O’Leary and after 3 seasons was 28-8, no matter if it was 2 and 3 losses per year, we’d be upset he left. We got spoiled after 3 great seasons in a row.
I'm not spoiled. I've been a season ticket holder since 1999. When I see "it" I cherish "it". It's rare and "it" is different from good, very good, etc... 2013 and 2017 were amazing ("it"). Plenty of other great seasons in there as well, including 2007, where I got to witness the best individual performance by an athlete I will likely ever personally witness...2,567 yds by 24k. Was also there to watch us struggle and on several occasions look pretty futile. I stay at all games until the "Oikos triple zero end of the game", and trust me, in 2015 that was brutal, but it makes you better appreciate the good years. Never got to go to a game from 1991-1996 (while I was in school) as I lived at my parents house in Tville and had to work every Saturday....not everybody gets that great "college experience", but I did graduate with an engineering degree and zero debt, and that worked out pretty well for life afterwards.

I'm not spoiled. I've been a season ticket holder since 1999. When I see "it" I cherish "it". It's rare and "it" is different from good, very good, etc... 2013 and 2017 were amazing ("it"). Plenty of other great seasons in there as well, including 2007, where I got to witness the best individual performance by an athlete I will likely ever personally witness...2,567 yds by 24k. Was also there to watch us struggle and on several occasions look pretty futile. I stay at all games until the "Oikos triple zero end of the game", and trust me, in 2015 that was brutal, but it makes you better appreciate the good years. Never got to go to a game from 1991-1996 (while I was in school) as I lived at my parents house in Tville and had to work every Saturday....not everybody gets that great "college experience", but I did graduate with an engineering degree and zero debt, and that worked out pretty well for life afterwards.
I was able to go to most games when I was in school ( 95-98) , had to work here and there. Only was a season ticket holder twice but make it to a game a year now. I went to the Houston game our winless season. Stayed until end. So losing 3 games isn’t great but better than that year.

His teams went 28-8. He won a conference title (using a backup QB). He played in a NY6 game (using a backup QB).

His losses:
1. 2018 - Lost 40-32 to 10-3 LSU at neutral site Fiesta Bowl.
***New true freshman QB playing, which is usually a disaster unless you are Bama, Clemson or Ohio State.
2. 2019 - Lost 35-34 @ 8-5 Pitt
3. 2019 - Lost 27-24 @ 11-3 Cincy
4. 2019 - Lost 34-31 @ 4-8 Tulsa (Bad loss but for some reason they own us playing on their field; Tulsa is 5-0 against us on their field).
5. 2020 - Lost 34-26 at home to 6-3 Tulsa
6. 2020 - Lost 50-49 @ 8-3 Memphis
7. 2020 - Lost 36-33 at home to 9-1 Cincy
8. 2020 - Lost 49-23 to 11-1 BYU at neutral site Boca Raton Bowl

I only see one blowout.

The total record of the teams we lost to is 67-27. I'd say his results have to do more with the situation, than simply blaming offense or defense. I can't fault him for losing to LSU in the Fiesta Bowl. I was shocked we won the AAC title game, and weren't blown off the field by LSU, using a backup QB. Good thing that AAC title game was at home. If it was on the road we probably do not make the miraculous comeback we did make.

2019 we were playing a true freshman (who played more like a QB in his second season) and went 3-3 on the road. I wasn't expecting our record to be (10-3), nevermind knowing that just a play or two in each of those games goes our way, we may win those games. It's harder to win on the road than at home (home teams have like a 20% advantage), especially with a true freshman QB. They get rattled. In 2019 only 40 teams managed a better road record than us. Only 9 teams in 2019 managed a better than .500 record against ranked opponents, and this only takes into account the record of teams at the time the game was played. That means 121 teams couldn't manage to do better than .500 against ranked opponents, nevermind playing ranked opponents on the road.

2020 we just weren't as good. COVID wreaked havoc on how teams practiced, prepared, traveled, etc.. Depth was a big factor due to opt-outs, and especially late in the season as players were kicked off the team or just decided not to play any longer.

I would 100% agree it is clear that when your offense is that efficient, your defense needs to be that much better (or have a very good turnover margin). Not making up excuses for him. Just saying my opinion is the situations seemed to outweigh X's and O's, and give credit where credit is due. We lost to some good teams.

I thank Josh for his contribution. He filled in nicely and did fine for a first time head coach. Almost any new hire is a gamble, even if they have previous, successful experience. I'm not sorry to see him go, either. I think we greatly upgraded our coaching staff, whether that pans out on the field is another story that will unfold. Looking forward to seeing what we look like in the fall.
We had no business playing BYU. BYU was a NY6 caliber team playing a roster depleted/mentally defeated UCF team. That was a terrible bowl matchup

Garbage coach and setback for us. Had all the chips in play and still blew it. That's why his numbers look so good, playing off the success and foundation Frost built. The guy was a failure here, stop sugar coating it.
And Frost succeeded on the the foundation GOL built. Frost was here for less than two years. Bugged out just before signing day. Do you honestly think Frost Could have kept up the NY6 every year? Again perspective.

And Frost succeeded on the the foundation GOL built. Frost was here for less than two years. Bugged out just before signing day. Do you honestly think Frost Could have kept up the NY6 every year? Again perspective.
Dude you're comparing Frost inheriting a 0-12 team (2015) to Heupel inheriting Frosts 2017 12-0 NY6 Champ team (and arguably the best UCF team in history). Stick your perspective where the sun don't shine.

Dude you're comparing Frost inheriting a 0-12 team (2015) to Heupel inheriting Frosts 2017 12-0 NY6 Champ team (and arguably the best UCF team in history). Stick your perspective where the sun don't shine.
Yes I am. If you had perspective you would know that 2015 was a fluke. Wedged between conference championships and to 25 finishes and a coach that wanted to retire in 2014. The majority of Frost's players were GOL players. He added some key components including the most important, KZ. But Scott Frost was not magic. He had an amazing foundation to use and an open canvas upon which to paint. He took that foundation and tucked and ran after ONE good season using it to get a big-time job, where he has tanked miserably. Perspective means you look at the big picture. Frost would not have maintained perfection under the exact same circumstance either. Your problem is that you can't appreciate how amazing UCF's run from 2017-2018 was. You normalize it and anything less is garbage. I think people believe I am saying Heupel was a great coach. He was not great, but he was not bad either. Perspective that you don't demonize a coach who lead you to two ranked seasons out of the two real seasons he had.

Yes I am. If you had perspective you would know that 2015 was a fluke. Wedged between conference championships and to 25 finishes and a coach that wanted to retire in 2014. The majority of Frost's players were GOL players. He added some key components including the most important, KZ. But Scott Frost was not magic. He had an amazing foundation to use and an open canvas upon which to paint. He took that foundation and tucked and ran after ONE good season using it to get a big-time job, where he has tanked miserably. Perspective means you look at the big picture. Frost would not have maintained perfection under the exact same circumstance either. Your problem is that you can't appreciate how amazing UCF's run from 2017-2018 was. You normalize it and anything less is garbage. I think people believe I am saying Heupel was a great coach. He was not great, but he was not bad either. Perspective that you don't demonize a coach who lead you to two ranked seasons out of the two real seasons he had.

You seem to demonize Frost because he left for Nebraska. Heupel ran soon as he had the opportunity and it wasn't even any special job, had he gotten the offer after his first season pretty much anywhere he would have bolted. Despite the shorter tenure and cloak and Dagger situation, Frost seems to still have a much better relationship with former players than Heupel did.

...but, Scott Frost's play calling, recruiting, and coach-player relationships made a HUGE different (IMHO). Yes they were mostly GOL's players. :cool:

You seem to demonize Frost because he left for Nebraska. Heupel ran soon as he had the opportunity and it wasn't even any special job, had he gotten the offer after his first season pretty much anywhere he would have bolted. Despite the shorter tenure and cloak and Dagger situation, Frost seems to still have a much better relationship with former players than Heupel did.
I’ve seen our former players at Tennessee lately.

Show me where I demonized Frost? I have never demonized any coach (yes I was and still an a hugger). Frost was the perfect man for the time. But he was not magic or some sort of genius. UCF made him just as much as he made UCF. I am not blaming either coach for jumping ship. This is America and if you can move to improve then do it. I don't have to be happy about it., but I will always give Frost his due. But this idea that Heupel was garbage is just shortsighted and petty. Coaches are going to have different personalities. Some will be loved by players and some will not.

...but, Scott Frost's play calling, recruiting, and coach-player relationships made a HUGE different (IMHO). Yes they were mostly GOL's players. :cool:
I think he was a good play caller, but I also think he had some questionable calls at times, especially in 2016. I also think he had the breaks go his way a few times as well. It was a great time to be a fan and coach at UCF. How do you follow perfection? With perfection. Which Heup did. No way you can keep that going forever.

Show me where I demonized Frost? I have never demonized any coach (yes I was and still an a hugger). Frost was the perfect man for the time. But he was not magic or some sort of genius. UCF made him just as much as he made UCF. I am not blaming either coach for jumping ship. This is America and if you can move to improve then do it. I don't have to be happy about it., but I will always give Frost his due. But this idea that Heupel was garbage is just shortsighted and petty. Coaches are going to have different personalities. Some will be loved by players and some will not.
Exactly, this is America where I'm free to express Heupel was garbage, the kids saw through his weakness and never gained respect for him, he was soft and instead of trying to fix what he broke, he left the first chance he got (which many consider a blessing). Garbage coach and personality and the kids saw it. He didn't even tell the team he was leaving, and several UCF players called him out on it. Scummy guy. The players recognized a turd when they saw it, guess other don't and want to stand up for that kind of guy. Free country, go ahead and defend Heup.

Exactly, this is America where I'm free to express Heupel was garbage, the kids saw through his weakness and never gained respect for him, he was soft and instead of trying to fix what he broke, he left the first chance he got (which many consider a blessing). Garbage coach and personality and the kids saw it. He didn't even tell the team he was leaving, and several UCF players called him out on it. Scummy guy. The players recognized a turd when they saw it, guess other don't and want to stand up for that kind of guy. Free country, go ahead and defend Heup.
Yawn. Having opinions is no excuse for bad manners.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT