ADVERTISEMENT

The NFL vs. Patriotic Americans: The OfficialThread

Jedi.Knight

Bronze Knight
Apr 21, 2008
With all of the protests going on, tit-for-tat Twitter wars, and players taking a knee on foreign soil, why not make this an official thing here on the cooler. One thing is certain . . . the NFL needs to get a hold of this situation because at the rate they're going they'll become the first major sports league to commit voluntary suicide.

Yes, there is racial strife and disparity around the U.S. Some cops (5%) are crooked asswipes, but every sector of society has its good vs. the bad.The fact is, players taking a knee is tantamount to turning your back on the country that has gifted you the opportunity to make ungodly sums of money for playing a fcuking game.

I think we can all agree; some incidents should have been investigated more: The cop that had Eric Garner in a choke hold should have eased up on his windpipe the moment he told him "I can't breathe." (Instead, the cop said "fcuk your breath).

But on the other hand, Michael Brown was shown on video roughing up a convenience store clerk only minutes before he encountered officer Darren Wilson . . . and black witnesses testified before a grand jury that they saw him reaching for the cops gun before officer Wilson was forced to use deadly force.

At the end of the day, football players are EMPLOYEES!!! Most companies won't allow their employees to wear buttons that support one political candidate over the other, so why should these millionaires use the team owners stadium and a national audience as a platform for personal politics??? Do that shit on your own time, but they're too dumb to realize they're hurting their own bottom line.

It's already starting to hit them in the bank account, and ratings will only continue to plummet as long as they continue to piss off 50% of the American population.

Maybe if they updated the National anthem to something so hot you can't help but dance, then nobody will take a knee. Hell, just make it Uptown Funk and replace "Uptown Funk" in the hook with "USA." There's nary a man who can twerk and protest at the same time.

Reactions: UCFWayne
The NFL will be forced to do something in a months time. Ratings have already been down the past couple years. This will likely make it worse. The advertisers will put pressure on the TV stations because the games wont be getting the same ratings that they were promised when they purchased. The TV stations will then put pressure on the NFL. The NFL is in a tough position right now.

With all of the protests going on, tit-for-tat Twitter wars, and players taking a knee on foreign soil, why not make this an official thing here on the cooler. One thing is certain . . . the NFL needs to get a hold of this situation because at the rate they're going they'll become the first major sports league to commit voluntary suicide.

Yes, there is racial strife and disparity around the U.S. Some cops (5%) are crooked asswipes, but every sector of society has its good vs. the bad.The fact is, players taking a knee is tantamount to turning your back on the country that has gifted you the opportunity to make ungodly sums of money for playing a fcuking game.

I think we can all agree; some incidents should have been investigated more: The cop that had Eric Garner in a choke hold should have eased up on his windpipe the moment he told him "I can't breathe." (Instead, the cop said "fcuk your breath).

But on the other hand, Michael Brown was shown on video roughing up a convenience store clerk only minutes before he encountered officer Darren Wilson . . . and black witnesses testified before a grand jury that they saw him reaching for the cops gun before officer Wilson was forced to use deadly force.

At the end of the day, football players are EMPLOYEES!!! Most companies won't allow their employees to wear buttons that support one political candidate over the other, so why should these millionaires use the team owners stadium and a national audience as a platform for personal politics??? Do that shit on your own time, but they're too dumb to realize they're hurting their own bottom line.

It's already starting to hit them in the bank account, and ratings will only continue to plummet as long as they continue to piss off 50% of the American population.
:flush:

Reactions: UCFecon10
We all better hope the NFL never goes away. Without the NFL, there's no college football, as we know it. Kids aren't going to bust their ass and risk anything without the "dream". Sure making it to the NFL is tough. But the dream is there. Especially for those at Bama, Ohio St, etc. where there's major exposure. That'll trickle down to HS too. Without the NFL, football will end up being pointless to a lot of kids.

As always, I'm just the messenger. And in this case, I have something for my conservative colleagues.

Remember the intent.
Pick your battles.

I understand why various people take issue with various forms of protest in various avenues. And that's not what I'm here to comment on. I'm more here to remind my conservative friends to not let progressives 'mislabel' things.

Take Michael Bennett for example.

Very likely an actual and true victim of profiling and smearing by police just recently, Bennett is no longer limiting his 'protests' to just the anthem, but also during game time. He's now issuing his fist after a play, which may actually be something different ... depending on that very 'intent.'

I.e., it's one thing to do it to a symbol, an event, or in some other, neutral gesture, as a 'protest.' But it's a completely other thing to do it after a play, when there was a human target involved.

E.g., if Bennett does it generically, he can claim the 'protest' tag. But if he only does it after tackling a white person, there would be a good argument saying that it's no longer just that. It would be a good argument that is use of a symbol at the expense of another in a way that suggests a claim of something entirely different ...

'Superiority' ... especially using a symbol of protest in far different way, one that plays right into something very wrong.

Because the last time people not only did that, but it was 'politically correct' and 'accepted' in the media to do so, it wasn't a high fist ... but an high, straight-out hand. And that's something that people should never want to see happen again. If the intent is 'superiority,' and not at a politician or symbol, but peers ... it's a very, very concerning move.

I mean, I can understand Michael's beef. But his friends should remind him it's only with select people, not all of a group he wishes to categorize. Especially those fellow players who support him. Which is why I'm really concerned about this new trend, and how it's now 'politically correct' to allow.

As always ... we'll see.
Don't shoot the messenger ... especially my progressive associates, as you've now been warned what you may be sowing.

As a Libertarian, I support the players protesting ... with the understanding they can damage the brand, and eventually lose their jobs over it at the same time.

No, what bothers me is this attitude ...

"yet PK’s stance against the NFL protesters certainly was an uncomfortable one for me and my fellow young Predators’ fans."

This is what even Tomlin was trying to get across. He has players who want to stand for the anthem, who will never kneel, but the US media, US journalists and US "political correctness" say they are "against" the NFL protesters.

^ This is classic, inflamatory, progressive BS at its finest.

ucfbs, im guessing you didnt watch the full video of the bennett incident. at first i was on his side, but then i saw the video. dude is an idiot.

did anyone watch the game last night?

Not even for a second.

I watched 2 episodes of the new Narcos season and it's amazing. I thought it'd slide after Escobar was no longer part of the story but it's maybe even better.

I didnt watch either. I watched 2 episodes of Orphan Black. Great show if you havent seen it. i might check out narcos, i always like the drug cartel stories.

Most of the game after the weather break. Was fun to watch. The NFL will win this battle in the end and faux patriotism will be beaten down.

lol. I just read that every player was standing and more teams are saying they'll stand now. Guess those "faux patriots" are already winning. Win!

lol. I just read that every player was standing and more teams are saying they'll stand now. Guess those "faux patriots" are already winning. Win!
Memo to you and other faux patriots, those guys were ALREADY STANDING before your idiot President told you to be upset with them. And you followed like the lemmings you are.

Memo to you and other faux patriots, those guys were ALREADY STANDING before your idiot President told you to be upset with them. And you followed like the lemmings you are.

You're wrong about so many things these days. Task: go read the latest release from the Denver Bronocos. Then see picture below:

250 players and i think it was 3 full teams that refused to even be on the field for the anthem.

trump says stupid things, but that doesnt mean the nfl is beaing the faux raging patriots. if less than the 250 players kneel for the anthem this weekend, that means the people demanding that they stand won.

we will also find out early next week how the ratings are for this weekends games. i suspect they will be down.

Not even for a second.

I watched 2 episodes of the new Narcos season and it's amazing. I thought it'd slide after Escobar was no longer part of the story but it's maybe even better.
I haven't watched Narcos (I lived it) but I heard they continued with the Cali cartel, good move. Big drug cartels were in operation until about mid-2000. It is true that when you cut 1 head, 2 take its place:after the Medellin cartel, the Cali cartel and the North Cost cartel took over; after that them, it was the right-wing paramilitary and the guerrillas

I haven't watched Narcos (I lived it) but I heard they continued with the Cali cartel, good move. Big drug cartels were in operation until about mid-2000. It is true that when you cut 1 head, 2 take its place:after the Medellin cartel, the Cali cartel and the North Cost cartel took over; after that them, it was the right-wing paramilitary and the guerrillas

You're Colombian? Or you were a spook or DEA?.....

Yes, the show is entirely focused on the Cali Cartel now, but intertwined is the CIA operation against the FARC, the DEA's larger role in the War on Drugs, and the emerging influence of the Mexican cartels that eventually pick up where Colombia left off. It's interesting since the Cali Cartel was put into a position of power since the DEA unleashed "Los Pepes" to take out Escobar's network with their cooperation.

They have some really authentic, great actors and it's all in Spanish (subtitled). It's very authentic.

The guy who played Escobar in the first 2 seasons was jobbed IMO. He got little recognition yet played him flawlessly.

That's just it. It's not about winning or losing. The President made his point and the NFL made theirs. However, they're are going to stand because the unity the flag represents is bigger and more important than the NFL, the president, politics and all of us. Nobody that watches or attends NFL games are less American or patriotic for it. They shouldn't be attacked. Those that are angry at the NFL shouldn't either. There's a lot of Trump supporters that actually hope they keep kneeling, so they can feel justified. The NFL will stand because they should. Trump and his backers should then back off because they should.

We all better hope the NFL never goes away. Without the NFL, there's no college football, as we know it. Kids aren't going to bust their ass and risk anything without the "dream". Sure making it to the NFL is tough. But the dream is there. Especially for those at Bama, Ohio St, etc. where there's major exposure. That'll trickle down to HS too. Without the NFL, football will end up being pointless to a lot of kids.

Pop Warner, high school and college will die off before the NFL.

And while featuring two of the most popular teams in the country.

The NFL will change its tune real soon

In 100% honesty - why should the NFL change it's tune? Do you honestly believe you should be REQUIRED to stand for the national anthem?

This whole thing is mind-boggling to me. I watch a football game because I want to watch football, regardless of whether the players stand or not. That's their choice. People continue to watch football after players abuse dogs, women, etc. But this is the straw that breaks the camel's back?

THIS is being a snowflake.

In 100% honesty - why should the NFL change it's tune? Do you honestly believe you should be REQUIRED to stand for the national anthem?

This whole thing is mind-boggling to me. I watch a football game because I want to watch football, regardless of whether the players stand or not. That's their choice. People continue to watch football after players abuse dogs, women, etc. But this is the straw that breaks the camel's back?

Yes, I personally do think they SHOULD stand, not necessarily REQUIRE them (as if its some police mandate). Why am I not allowed to believe that? No one is suggesting the military be ordered in to arrest them if they don't, as you seem to want us to believe; they can kneel all the way. And people can have opinions on the matter, and choose to advocate for their firing or simply turn the sport off.

The NFL can refuse to change its policies and stances. Fine, have at it. Ratings will continue to plunge but that's their choice.

Yes, I personally do think they SHOULD stand, not necessarily REQUIRE them (as if its some police mandate). Why am I not allowed to believe that? No one is suggesting the military be ordered in to arrest them if they don't, as you seem to want us to believe; they can kneel all the way. And people can have opinions on the matter, and choose to advocate for their firing or simply turn the sport off.

The NFL can refuse to change its policies and stances. Fine, have at it. Ratings will continue to plunge but that's their choice.

..and that's fine. You're more than welcome to think they should stand. If you're that upset that you no longer want to watch the NFL...how is that any different than some liberal doing something and you calling them a snowflake? If UCF allowed their players to and they did, would you stop watching?

I watch my sports to watch the sports. I don't honestly care what they do (as long as it's legal). There's plenty of athletes who say anti-gay things, etc...hasn't stopped me from watching...because I am not a snowflake.

Also - I don't think this will affect things as much as you think. It's news now - until something else happens and then it will fade away and all these anti-NFL people will miss their football. The NFL will be fine.

You're Colombian? Or you were a spook or DEA?.....

Yes, the show is entirely focused on the Cali Cartel now, but intertwined is the CIA operation against the FARC, the DEA's larger role in the War on Drugs, and the emerging influence of the Mexican cartels that eventually pick up where Colombia left off. It's interesting since the Cali Cartel was put into a position of power since the DEA unleashed "Los Pepes" to take out Escobar's network with their cooperation.

They have some really authentic, great actors and it's all in Spanish (subtitled). It's very authentic.

The guy who played Escobar in the first 2 seasons was jobbed IMO. He got little recognition yet played him flawlessly.
Colombian.
The Cali cartel didn't realize that after killing Escobar, the search block (grupo elite) and the DEA needed a new target to stay busy.

BTW, the guy that played Escobar in "Escobar El Patron del Mal" was better
images

..and that's fine. You're more than welcome to think they should stand. If you're that upset that you no longer want to watch the NFL...how is that any different than some liberal doing something and you calling them a snowflake? If UCF allowed their players to and they did, would you stop watching?

I watch my sports to watch the sports. I don't honestly care what they do (as long as it's legal). There's plenty of athletes who say anti-gay things, etc...hasn't stopped me from watching...because I am not a snowflake.

Also - I don't think this will affect things as much as you think. It's news now - until something else happens and then it will fade away and all these anti-NFL people will miss their football. The NFL will be fine.

lol ok then. I was already tuning out of the NFL for the most part and yes, I would turn UCF off as well if every single Saturday was some protest spectacle. Personally I struggle with watching football at all since I read about CTE a lot and I feel terrible watching a sport where players are having their brains reduced to shit. I could easily see me turning off the sport for good in the near future unless something is done about CTE.

I don't give a shit if people have differing opinions than me. For Christ's sakes, I watch movies and TV shows that feature flaming left wing actors. I listen to bands who go against everything I believe. Please spare me the idea I "flee" from differing views. For me, personally, publicly shaming something as fundamental as the anthem and the flag is a different ballgame.

Lastly, the NFL won't be fine. To my first point, I believe it will eventually either be sued out of existence for the CTE issue or it will be dumbed down to the point that it's no longer exciting. That's not just me, it's the opinion of a lot of legal scholars who follow the issue.

I would like to see the percentage of people that stand in front of the TV when the national anthem is playing. I also bet people going to their seats at the stadium or waiting in line to buy beer, hot dogs, etc., pause and wait for the anthem to end.

Colombian.
The Cali cartel didn't realize that after killing Escobar, the search block (grupo elite) and the DEA needed a new target to stay busy.

BTW, the guy that played Escobar in "Escobar El Patron del Mal" was better
images

Another plus for Narcos: every Colombian woman is drop dead good looking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT