ADVERTISEMENT

The Woke Church of Science thread...

UCFBS

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Oct 21, 2001
USA
This is the thread for Woke Church of Science where engineers and technologists can be stupified by 'common sense' and 'everyone knows' facts that seem to contradict science, but are preached at the Woke Church of Science.

The latest from the New York Times Bible?

To discourage Americans from embracing hybrids like Europeans, let alone ICE autos, the NYT Bible says 5% of all ICE/hybrids combust annually. After scrutiny, now they say it must be only 2-3%.

The latest from the New York Times Bible?

To discourage Americans from embracing hybrids like Europeans, let alone ICE autos, the NYT Bible says 5% of all ICE/hybrids combust annually. After scrutiny, now they say it must be only 2-3%.

This is hilarious... There are 8 people in my immediate family... Each owning 6-7 cars over our lifetimes... After conducting independent research on 56 cars in our family's ownership, I've concluded 0% have caught on fire. A few have smoked from overheating... Perhaps the "where there is smoke, there is fire" logic applies to the statistical evidence being referenced in the article.

Reactions: UCFBS
This is hilarious... There are 8 people in my immediate family... Each owning 6-7 cars over our lifetimes... After conducting independent research on 56 cars in our family's ownership, I've concluded 0% have caught on fire. A few have smoked from overheating... Perhaps the "where there is smoke, there is fire" logic applies to the statistical evidence being referenced in the article.
I think they confused all cars with all insurance claims. But even 5% is pretty high. 2-3% sounds more likely. And usually it's older vehicles, which explains maybe why there are far more hybrids that are aged than eVs, whih are fairly new.

In any case ... between NPR and the NY Times as of late ...

Even allegedly top rated journalism is hitting new lows on physics and statistics. Usually they were far, far better at fact checking science and statistics themselves, as they don't want to lose credibility ... even if partisan at times, their credibility was far better than most other outlets.

I can only imagine they've cut budgets and shed most of their scientific and statisitical SME. I'm almost always disappointed in most journalism for this reason, but usually NPR and, even more so, the NY Times didn't make such easily disproven articles ... scientifically or statistics.

I mean, just 4 years ago, we were still seeing NPR go against the mainstream and call out statistical non-sense.

And even last year, they were still reporting how FDA Expert panels and politically appointed FDA leadership were at odds with one another ... and the CDC slams were still common too.

Last edited:
I think they confused all cars with all insurance claims. But even 5% is pretty high. 2-3% sounds more likely. And usually it's older vehicles, which explains maybe why there are far more hybrids that are aged than eVs, whih are fairly new.

In any case ... between NPR and the NY Times as of late ...

Even allegedly top rated journalism is hitting new lows on physics and statistics. Usually they were far, far better at fact checking science and statistics themselves, as they don't want to lose credibility ... even if partisan at times, their credibility was far better than most other outlets.

I can only imagine they've cut budgets and shed most of their scientific and statisitical SME. I'm almost always disappointed in most journalism for this reason, but usually NPR and, even more so, the NY Times didn't make such easily disproven articles ... scientifically or statistics.

I mean, just 4 years ago, we were still seeing NPR go against the mainstream and call out statistical non-sense.

And even last year, they were still reporting how FDA Expert panels and politically appointed FDA leadership were at odds with one another ... and the CDC slams were still common too.

Like most in the younger "electronic" generation, kids are lazy and not willing to put in the proofing/finishing work, too much reliance pm spell check... I've seen way more typos on website articles then I recall ever seeing on print 15-20yrs ago. Maybe I'm reading more, or am more aware these days, but Gimmini Christmas, once every day or so I come by a glaring issue that sound have been easily caught.

Like most in the younger "electronic" generation, kids are lazy and not willing to put in the proofing/finishing work, too much reliance pm spell check... I've seen way more typos on website articles then I recall ever seeing on print 15-20yrs ago. Maybe I'm reading more, or am more aware these days, but Gimmini Christmas, once every day or so I come by a glaring issue that sound have been easily caught.
Well, in their defense (not disagreeing, just playing my general 'devil's advocate'), when formally writing, I crank out ...
  • 5-10 pages (1,500-3,000 words) per hour (25-50 words/minute effective) "raw"
  • 1 page (300 words effective) per hour (5 words/minute effective) "proofread"
  • 0.2-0.4 pages (50-100 words) per hour (1-2 words/minute effective) "edited / publication quality / facted checked"
So most website articles are going to be hastily written, even by fast, 'from memory,' typists like myself, as I'm not slowing down to an effective rate less than 100 words per hour, for most, when over 500-1,000 words/hour with minimal or no editing is desired.

It's not so much the kids, but the expectations of output now. Granted, it's because of Millennial managers and leaders, but ... it's still the problem. I also used to crank out 25-50 pages/week as a consultant in my engagement journals too, beyond my 'on-site/hands-on.'

I even had one customer call me back in for another 40 hour engagement and ask how I could have so many simple typing errors in my engagement journal, and I blantantly stated, "Do you want the grammar to be correct, or the commands and technical information? You only paid for a 40 hour (1 week) engagement. You're lucky you received 40 pages, but I wanted to make sure you had everything I did, and needed to know about when I'm gone."

And I was considered the 'gold standard' on 'Engagement Journals' too. Others were lucky to receive even 5 pages from other consultants.

It was always the first complement I always received from both account managers and sales at both HPE and Red Hat. Heck, a lot of HPE and Red Hat software product documentation was re-written from my engagement journals, sometimes verbatim, as a lot of sections were just blatantly wrong, so I wrote completely replacement sections, to verbatim replace them ... other than to fix grammar and other typos (because the technical meat was spot-on).

My HPE OpenStack engagement documentation was so good, and contradicted the official documentation -- 150 pages written in 2 weeks for a household name customer (I worked on it all over 2 weekend during and right after) -- that HP IT contracted me internally when they deployed their next HP Cloud infrastructure a few weeks later. Damn that was a waste of time and money when HP shut all that entire Cloud down less than 2 years later.

I won't go into the laundry, but the wrong people got demoted and promoted. It's why I went back to Red Hat less than 2 months later. I also laid it all out in my exit interview at HPE (never threw anyone 'under-the-bus,' but how the effort was all going wrong), and even told them to sell it to SuSE now ... while it was worth something, instead of later. But they waited 2 years to sell to SuSE, for billions less, as Red Hat wasn't interested (and Canonical couldn't afford it).

Last edited:
So , my dad bought a 1979 Caprice Classic Station wagon in 1979 in nautic metallic blue. He was proud of the truckster . In 1981 a buddy of mine Sean and my sister went canoeing at Wekiva. I was raising different parrots and I wanted to poach some cool ferns from the swamp to plant around the aviaries. My brother Rick was attending nuke power school at the NTC and was home visiting that fateful Saturday. We had a canary yellow 18 foot Mohawk canoe and it was the pride of the Wekiva.

We get done poaching our ferns for the afternoon and call my brother to pick us up at the Wekiva Marina off of Miami Springs road. It's now Wekiva Island home of the river thongs. Anyway, Rick shows up with the Caprice Classic and we drop the tailgate after rolling the rear window down and slide the canoe hastily into the wagon as an afternoon thunderstorm rolls in. The main window gets foggy and my brother turns on the defroster . We notice a puff of smoke or something. Rick being a Georgia Tech Mechanical engineer and newly minted Navy Ensign blows it off.

We drive up Miami Springs road and the smoke is getting heavier . He stops the car and tells me to run back to the marina to call my dad. I do. I see a Seminole County Sheriff and tell him our station wagon might be on fire . he rolls out with lights on. I tell my dad the problem and said you might want to bring some tools. I hang up and head back up the road .

I turn the corner and what do my wondering eyes see? My dad's Caprice Classic fully engulfed with 50 foot flames reaching for the heavens and my brother , my buddy and sister next to the canoe with our cooler of poached Flora staring in disbelief.

My dad rolls in 15-20 minutes later after the Seminole County Fire Department finishes extinguishing the inferno of 15 minutes earlier. My dad's face was priceless to be honest and I was a bit of smart ass then. I said to him, welp I don't think your tools can fix this problem.

So, I saw what an electrical short in a rear window switch can do to a station wagon. Impressive is a great word. All things aluminum on that car melted from that fire. My sister was truly traumatized as she was 9 . I was 13. No pun intended those images are seared into my memory. What about the ferns you ask? What happened to the cinnamon and royal ferns? I happily planted them in the backyard near my aviaries of parakeets and cockatiels. USAA bought my dad a brand new wagon .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT