ADVERTISEMENT

Time to Move on From JRP

Bringing in transfers all the time hurts your recruiting. I think it's long-term hurt for some short-term gain.

Young qbs who are developing don't want the rug pulled out from under them, or else they'll transfer too, and then you're plugging holes every year.

They all say that, right up until they start saying "whoever gives us the best chance to win."
I don't think bring in Transfers matters at all with recruiting. Players are rarely going to stay anymore. The great ones will play as long as they have to, to enter the draft. Rest are now free agents.

Please no. JRP clearly isn't healthy and isn't the answer. Timmy has to be given the rest of the season to see if he can become the guy. If coaches decide he isn't the guy for next year, they need to recruit another QB for 2024 and bring in an experienced transfer.

Reactions: Knight59

Amazing how bad the QB situation is given that a non-100% mobile Plumlee is the starter.

Good news is I hear they are allowing Plumlee to wear a red practice jersey so he doesn't get hit in the game.

• Haha
Reactions: Poolside Knight
How many yards a game does Tommy run for vs Timmy? That is critical for a Gus offense. To me Tommy is a much better runner but Timmy has a better deep ball.
Tommy seems like the ideal Gus QB. He's a mini-Cam in my eyes. I am honestly surprised that Gus let him leave. TC was his first QB recruit for us, I really expected him to be favored as the starter. Timmy can put the ball downfield but his touch is wildly inconsistent.

I think Timmy can run if they let him.
Timmy is more shifty than an outright runner. That said he is more than capable of getting first downs if we scheme it correctly. A bit like KZ in that he can be hard to bring down and has just enough quickness to escape. JRP really is one of the fastest players on any field he plays on.

We need a QB that’s bigger than 5’11 and 190.
Is 6'4" 215 more like it?

https://rivals.com/content/prospect_cards/281417

https://www.hudl.com/profile/14781697/Riley-Trujillo

JRP is fine as a Big 12 starter, but you better have a very capable backup, because he will get hurt. Timmy McClain ain't that. Keene leaving was inevitable, but letting Castellanos walk after 1 year was inexcusable. Not saying he is or will be anything great, but he'd be an above average backup who could continue the style of play that we have when JRP is in the game so you don't have to change the playbook much, plus he would have the chance to win the job in 2024 after most likely playing a lot in 2023. Gus' handling of the QB room has been atrocious, and that was his MO at Auburn as well. Very troubling.

JRP is fine as a Big 12 starter, but you better have a very capable backup, because he will get hurt. Timmy McClain ain't that. Keene leaving was inevitable, but letting Castellanos walk after 1 year was inexcusable. Not saying he is or will be anything great, but he'd be an above average backup who could continue the style of play that we have when JRP is in the game so you don't have to change the playbook much, plus he would have the chance to win the job in 2024 after most likely playing a lot in 2023. Gus' handling of the QB room has been atrocious, and that was his MO at Auburn as well. Very troubling.
I don’t like Gus’s preferred style of QB but if that is what he wants then at least have the QB be 6’3 and about 30 more pounds heavier than JRP

he is letting undersized QBs take this punishment

Reactions: Yaes and Knight59
I don’t like Gus’s preferred style of QB but if that is what he wants then at least have the QB be 6’3 and about 30 more pounds heavier than JRP

he is letting undersized QBs take this punishment
Luckily Rizk is already bigger at Freshman and could still add some weight. Trujillo is likely to be 220+ and at 6'4" I am pretty sure he'll be the biggest we've had at QB since Blake, if he stays committed that is.

Putting players in motion isn’t really a big deal. NFL QBs use it to see if defense is playing man or zone. If JRP isn’t picking up on a switch or same guy covering then the motion is wasteful. I don’t know if Gus does it for shits and giggles or if he’s giving QB clues on coverage.

Tommy seems like the ideal Gus QB. He's a mini-Cam in my eyes. I am honestly surprised that Gus let him leave. TC was his first QB recruit for us, I really expected him to be favored as the starter. Timmy can put the ball downfield but his touch is wildly inconsistent.

Timmy is more shifty than an outright runner. That said he is more than capable of getting first downs if we scheme it correctly. A bit like KZ in that he can be hard to bring down and has just enough quickness to escape. JRP really is one of the fastest players on any field he plays on.

Is 6'4" 215 more like it?

https://rivals.com/content/prospect_cards/281417

https://www.hudl.com/profile/14781697/Riley-Trujillo

Hell yes!

Luckily Rizk is already bigger at Freshman and could still add some weight. Trujillo is likely to be 220+ and at 6'4" I am pretty sure he'll be the biggest we've had at QB since Blake, if he stays committed that is.
Neither one of those QBs is very good. Neither guy had legit P5 offers.

for halloween to cheer up a team that's winless in conference play, he will ask ...

pizk3.jpg

The important part is he is living his dream of playing football and baseball.

And he said he is still not 100% as of today …
JRP is not 100%, we're being "jived". He hasn't played in a while. Not that I want this to happen but I bet he doesn't make the full game. Honestly, he's not even Div-I qb. Gus, in my opinion, is making mistake after mistake just running things willie nillie and not advancing this program. JRP is not the future, he's done. Might as well teach the other QBs and see what they can do. Let 3rd and 4th string try it unless they are like division II level. And if they are div II level, then Gus should be fired.

We all know this isn't happening. If he's healthy, he's going to be the starter. When he touches the field Saturday that is 4 games of eligibility this season. He needs to hit 5 and then the QB position next season is for sure wide open. I would hit the transfer portal hard, as every team should, for the QB position. Competition and depth at that position is the most important on the team.

We all know this isn't happening. If he's healthy, he's going to be the starter. When he touches the field Saturday that is 4 games of eligibility this season. He needs to hit 5 and then the QB position next season is for sure wide open. I would hit the transfer portal hard, as every team should, for the QB position. Competition and depth at that position is the most important on the team.
With you on this. Right now I feel like the future is Rizk and hopefully, we can hang on to Colson. Obviously not sure who will be there in the portal. I hope either JRP or Timmy can prove me wrong.

Reactions: Yaes
The best QBs this season are all transfers. Caleb Williams, Dillon Gabriel, Michael Penix, Bo Nix... Why bother developing a QB anymore? Just take someone else's. What good did it do our program to develop Gabriel, Keene, Castellanos, Navarro? Unfortunately the transfer Gus invested heavily in while all those guys left is mediocre and injured all the time.

The best QBs this season are all transfers. Caleb Williams, Dillon Gabriel, Michael Penix, Bo Nix... Why bother developing a QB anymore? Just take someone else's. What good did it do our program to develop Gabriel, Keene, Castellanos, Navarro? Unfortunately the transfer Gus invested heavily in while all those guys left is mediocre and injured all the time.
Those QBs either followed coaches that recruited them out of high school and developed them (Williams, Gabriel), or left bad situations (Penix, Nix).

You also have to factor in that the OC has been a rotating door under Malzahn. Those are the guys that are actually recruiting and establishing relationships with these QBs, and then 1 year later they leave. The only relationship Malzahn has is with Plumlee.

• Sad
Lol, no guy of that caliber is ever going to come here. Not a realistic solution.

This sounds a lot more likely with DG than "Gus almost ended his career" that someone on here keeps saying without any evidence.
Don't think Gabriel and Malzahn liked each other from the beginning. Gabriel started the relationship bad from the beginning, however, based on how Malzahn has had relationships with every other QB not named Plumlee I can see that he likely didn't try hard to win him over either. Malzahn starts Plumlee over Gabriel.

Reactions: Yaes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT