ADVERTISEMENT

Time to Move on From JRP

Neither one of those QBs is very good. Neither guy had legit P5 offers.
Just because they didn't have a ton of P5 offers doesn't mean crap. Tons of 4 and 5 star players out of high school are busts at the college level. Many 4 to 5 stars guys out of high school don't work very hard in college because they think their talent alone will carry them and get beat out by 3 star blue collar hard working attention to detail types. Cam Ward started out at a 1AA and now the starter at Washington St as a starter is just one example. Dylan Gabriel was a 3 star recruit. Take a look at Jerry Rice work ethic. He went to Mississippi Valley St. He out worked every WR on his team. Many tried to work out with him and said his work outs were nuts and could not keep up

Last edited:
We all know this isn't happening. If he's healthy, he's going to be the starter. When he touches the field Saturday that is 4 games of eligibility this season. He needs to hit 5 and then the QB position next season is for sure wide open. I would hit the transfer portal hard, as every team should, for the QB position. Competition and depth at that position is the most important on the team.
If Gus says (or even insinuates) he’s going to try to maintain JRP’s eligibility for 2024, there will be a mass exodus from the QB room to the portal, as well there should be. If I were one of those guys and I heard Gus was wanting JRP for another year I’d say FU and hit the portal immediately.

Reactions: UCFsbarro and Yaes
Shadeur Sanders is also a top QB and transfer. He and Williams don’t count to me bacause they were following their coaches. Gus has shown he can’t get legit QBs to commit to his offense.

Reactions: LoboCane
If Gus says (or even insinuates) he’s going to try to maintain JRP’s eligibility for 2024, there will be a mass exodus from the QB room to the portal, as well there should be. If I were one of those guys and I heard Gus was wanting JRP for another year I’d say FU and hit the portal immediately.
I wouldn't necessarily blame them either. They are all seeing Tommy, Mikey, and Dillon walk away, all starting, and all producing great results. Each of those fanbases is pumped to have them. Tommy leaving is the glaring loss because he fits Gus' Offense so well. The others are more understandable.

Now that being said, time is going to eventually catch up to JRP and Gus, and that's the biggest reason we can keep guys like Rizk and Colson around. That's something Tommy didn't have. Tommy saw an entire year toasted in '22 behind JRP and Mikey, with another right around the corner in '23 and perhaps even a third year in '24 behind Plumlee. No freaking way he was staying and for his sake, I'm happy he left, he's balling. Here, he'd be waiting for JRP to get injured just to get a shot, and then come back off the field when JRP heals.

Time will eventually get to a point where Gus cannot simply look to some kid he recruited 5 years ago at Auburn.

Those QBs either followed coaches that recruited them out of high school and developed them (Williams, Gabriel), or left bad situations (Penix, Nix).

You also have to factor in that the OC has been a rotating door under Malzahn. Those are the guys that are actually recruiting and establishing relationships with these QBs, and then 1 year later they leave. The only relationship Malzahn has is with Plumlee.
Should we ask why the OC has been a rotating door under Malzahn?

Reactions: Knight59
I wouldn't necessarily blame them either. They are all seeing Tommy, Mikey, and Dillon walk away, all starting, and all producing great results. Each of those fanbases is pumped to have them. Tommy leaving is the glaring loss because he fits Gus' Offense so well. The others are more understandable.

Now that being said, time is going to eventually catch up to JRP and Gus, and that's the biggest reason we can keep guys like Rizk and Colson around. That's something Tommy didn't have. Tommy saw an entire year toasted in '22 behind JRP and Mikey, with another right around the corner in '23 and perhaps even a third year in '24 behind Plumlee. No freaking way he was staying and for his sake, I'm happy he left, he's balling. Here, he'd be waiting for JRP to get injured just to get a shot, and then come back off the field when JRP heals.

Time will eventually get to a point where Gus cannot simply look to some kid he recruited 5 years ago at Auburn.
We can only hope.

Shadeur Sanders is also a top QB and transfer. He and Williams don’t count to me bacause they were following their coaches. Gus has shown he can’t get legit QBs to commit to his offense.
Gus isn’t looking for a QB. His run first offense just needs a “game manager” under center to hand the ball off, complete short WR and bubble screens and be able to run out of the pocket under pressure. Under Gus, we won’t have QB’s with high passing yards or WR’s with high receiving yards consistently. It’s a High School offensive scheme

Gabriel left on his own for NIL money and to follow Coach Lebby. Gabriel was so pissed off after Lebby interviewed and did not get the UCF head coaching job that he erased everything UCF on social media. Back in the day most QB's didn't start until they were at least a soph or redshirt soph. This is a me now generation and if they don't start as a freshman or sophomore they hit the portal. This is not all on Gus. Players leave for NIL $$$, to follow former coaches etc.

Reactions: PositYourself
Lebby when he saw JRP in the QB room at Ole Miss

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT