ADVERTISEMENT

Tx. Lt.gov: I'm all in on risking my health to lift social distancing guidelines for economic boost

It doesn't even make sense. Go back to work and do what?

No one who's smart is going to go out to eat once shit gets insane. No one is going to be able to do any international business as the rest of the world is shut down. California and New York are half of our GDP and they won't be working. I'm just curious what we are killing hundreds of thousands of people for?

The Dow isn't going to recover, because you can send people to work but you can't make it so there is work to do. Most of the sane world and governments will remain closed and the healthcare system will be shattered.

This is the end of the Republican party. Almost everyone will lose someone close to them and these decisions will happen on the record.

I'm already seeing it on Facebook and on here. Look at Wayne. Jesus. Truly a cult.
Come on, Ninja. Give our Red Hats a break.

This is a crisis that requires a belief in science and an understanding that we all need to work together and do our part in order to saving lives. Face it, it's just not in their DNA. ;)

What even is the political play here? The results will be obvious. States that open for business will have their hospitals fail within a month. This isn't a long term plan that makes any sense.

Reactions: hemightbejeremy
What even is the political play here? The results will be obvious. States that open for business will have their hospitals fail within a month. This isn't a long term plan that makes any sense.

I dont get it either. It is a disaster waiting to happen, and the blame will solely be on the people pushing for this. I know the TDS crew will try and blame everyone but Trump, but if Trump pushes us to "reopen" then he doesnt get to separate himself from the disaster that follows. From a political strategy standpoint, economy standpoint, and health standpoint it just seems like a really empty headed solution that hasnt been thought out at all.

His play? Re-election. It's a tremendous gamble on his behalf: make it look like you are trying to save the economy and people still die versus do nothing for the economy and people still die. He has instincts--the best instincts, believe me.

A 1-3% death rate for a disease that spreads this easily would be 100s of thousands of deaths, you realize that right? And also, this isnt just killing old people. There are new stories everyday about someone in their 30s that is on lifesupport or has passed away from this.

How many die with starvation? Time to get back to work. My guess is mortality rate is around 1%. I'm seeing people lose their jobs right and left. Keep older folks and at risk folks quarantined.

How many die with starvation? Time to get back to work. My guess is mortality rate is around 1%. I'm seeing people lose their jobs right and left. Keep older folks and at risk folks quarantined.
0 people die of starvation in America. Starvation is not a threat right now. This is just greed over human life.

If 1% of the USA suddenly died it would have an economic impact of many trillions of dollars.

0 people die of starvation in America. Starvation is not a threat right now. This is just greed over human life.

The government can't pay 80% of people to sit at home for 6 months. The folks at risk should quarantine. Back to work for the young and healthy.

Reactions: UCFWayne
The government can't pay 80% of people to sit at home for 6 months. The folks at risk should quarantine. Back to work for the young and healthy.

The problem with the numbers in America is the lag time. We're up to about 150 deaths per day. This is doubling every 2-3 days so let's just say every 3 days it doubles.

In most cases it takes 10 days to become hospitalized and another 4 or 5 to die.

That 15 day lag time is creating a situation where we are underestimating the problem. It means 15 days ago enough people were infected for 150 to die today.

The reverse is to look forward at our growth rate and say enough people were infected today that our daily deaths could be 4800 15 days from now.

Those people are already infected they just don't know it. They're already dead. By the time we see those numbers come true and that 5k actually dies in a day, there will be enough people already infected to have 50k deaths per day. 15 days after that.

We have less than 1 month until we are facing the total destruction of healthcare in America. There is no scenario where the economy is functional in these conditions. The only thing we can do is slow the virus and rebuild when it's over.

Do the math on this, it's brutal.

Reactions: hemightbejeremy
Italy is just seeing the curve bend they have been at 700 680 600 720 deaths in the last 4 days. They quarantined 2 weeks ago. You see that it's no longer getting worse. Had they taken no action the daily total would be 1500 instead of 720. They saved 780 lives today. Tomorrow they'll save 900. The next day they'll save 1500. It takes time for this to work but it's the only thing that works. We can't have 10x the deaths of 9/11 each day and have economic growth.

Italy is just seeing the curve bend they have been at 700 680 600 720 deaths in the last 4 days. They quarantined 2 weeks ago. You see that it's no longer getting worse. Had they taken no action the daily total would be 1500 instead of 720. They saved 780 lives today. Tomorrow they'll save 900. The next day they'll save 1500. It takes time for this to work but it's the only thing that works. We can't have 10x the deaths of 9/11 each day and have economic growth.
Is it bending though? Look back and they have had days where it seems to pull back and then increase again. There is a delay between transmissions and the next potentially bigger wave that comes. I would give it a week to see if they really have plateaued.

Is it bending though? Look back and they have had days where it seems to pull back and then increase again. There is a delay between transmissions and the next potentially bigger wave that comes. I would give it a week to see if they really have plateaued.
4 days in a row similar numbers and it normally doubles every 3 days I think them staying at home is starting to work. It's been 2 weeks, that's about the time we would see the reduction in cases. If we get a couple more in the 6-7 hundred range I think it would be safe to say they might be plateaued.

This is one of the things I fear, moving forward.

People have to work. We are at a virtual stand-still in this economy. 60% of this country is paid by the hour. I think the longer this wears on, the more that folks simply will say "I am going to risk getting the virus to put food on the table." And then we really start to see cases shoot up, hospitals put at their capacities, etc.

At what point will Americans simply say "eff it?" Naturally, much of this has to do with what is open, can be opened, and necessitates business.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/politics/coronavirus-texas-social-distancing-guidelines/index.html
I see your point. For small small businesses, no cash flow is detrimental. Sometimes you don't eat. In Southeast Florida, as a few hurricanes hit, many restaurants closed up. No power, food went bad, etc. There was no power for weeks in some areas. If you can't get a loan quick enough or whatever, there's no telling how bad it could get.

Exactly. And we'd all be better off for it.

How can you say such a thing? By "keeping the country running minus the really contagious places," do you really think that's going to make the economy better??!?

All it is going to accomplish is making sure the entire country becomes as overwhelmed with infected people like NY, Seattle, and Atlanta currently are. Pray tell, how will THAT help the economy?
I’ll listen to what the experts are saying and not some WC message board poster. The consensus now is that we aren’t closing down the country.

Same 3 questions

1). Are we prepared to enforce it?

2) Will it work?

3) How long will we need to be on lockdown?

Come on, Ninja. Give our Red Hats a break.

This is a crisis that requires a belief in science and an understanding that we all need to work together and do our part in order to saving lives. Face it, it's just not in their DNA. ;)
Right after declaring the virus was a hoax by Democrats, the orange idiot was forced (over time) by others to start addressing this pandemic. FORCED!!!

Back to fake news. Remind you of dementia man wanting travel flowing strong from Wuhan to the United States.
Doesn't matter how many people came from Wuhan, without a change in behavior here the numbers still rise the same. The response, once it was here, is the problem.

I’ll listen to what the experts are saying and not some WC message board poster. The consensus now is that we aren’t closing down the country.

Same 3 questions

1). Are we prepared to enforce it?

2) Will it work?

3) How long will we need to be on lockdown?
1.) Yes
2.) Yes
3.) 8-12 weeks

There is no consensus.

Its not fair to men to keep this quarantine going. For every 78 cents that a woman loses due to lost work, a man loses a dollar.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Exactly...and 30% unemployment in 3 months. Next idea
Next idea? Who gives a shit it's only 4 months. Deal with the unemployment. Help out those affected. Live to see another day.

Vs

Kill off a million elderly for 4 months of employment numbers.

Next idea? Who gives a shit it's only 4 months. Deal with the unemployment. Help out those affected. Live to see another day.

Vs

Kill off a million elderly for 4 months of employment numbers.

Humm....same person that doesn't want old people to vote. Riiight. We are not going to kill a million elderly folks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT