ADVERTISEMENT

UCF Competing for Athletes Against the Big 3

SkiDog291

Silver Knight
May 29, 2001
O-Town!
Very excited w/this years class. Frost and company have improved their competition and winning battles against the Big 3 more than ever before.

Emmanuel Greene WR
UF, Miami

Bentavious Thompson RB
UF, Miami

Sterling Jones ILB
UF

Cordarrian Richardson RB
FSU

Samuel Jackson OT
Miami

That's why they'll never let us get an invite to the ACC or SEC. I still say there's a chance that the Big Ten goes national by adding us and BYU or Memphis. So very many schools in there conference rely on recruiting the Florida market and so many alums retire to Florida, that its a natural especially since their more recent expansions into the mid-Atlantic east: Maryland, Rutgers, and before that, Penn State. Think of all the traveling fans coming to games and hitting the Theme Parks -- how that alone would boost attendance so we can expand the stadium.

That's why they'll never let us get an invite to the ACC or SEC. I still say there's a chance that the Big Ten goes national by adding us and BYU or Memphis. So very many schools in there conference rely on recruiting the Florida market and so many alums retire to Florida, that its a natural especially since their more recent expansions into the mid-Atlantic east: Maryland, Rutgers, and before that, Penn State. Think of all the traveling fans coming to games and hitting the Theme Parks -- how that alone would boost attendance so we can expand the stadium.
Do you know how much crap Nebraska is getting right now from the B1G for losing its AAU status? If you know anything about the B1G, you will never make that ridiculous statement again. Memphis is a Tier2 school (there are NO tier2 schools in the P5) and if you remember, were dropped in the 1st round in B12 expansion talks (that's really bad by the way). If you look up BYU's problems with "Academic Freedom", you will see why they will never be invited much less all of their other problems. And UCF is so far behind the others in Academic prowess, school endowment (most B1G schools earn more in interest from their endowments than UCF has), history, etc, etc, etc, we wouldn't even be penciled in on a piece of paper to look at. And that is only scratching the surface of what the B1G requires. Please do not ever make your statement again.

Do you know how much crap Nebraska is getting right now from the B1G for losing its AAU status? If you know anything about the B1G, you will never make that ridiculous statement again. Memphis is a Tier2 school (there are NO tier2 schools in the P5) and if you remember, were dropped in the 1st round in B12 expansion talks (that's really bad by the way). If you look up BYU's problems with "Academic Freedom", you will see why they will never be invited much less all of their other problems. And UCF is so far behind the others in Academic prowess, school endowment (most B1G schools earn more in interest from their endowments than UCF has), history, etc, etc, etc, we wouldn't even be penciled in on a piece of paper to look at. And that is only scratching the surface of what the B1G requires. Please do not ever make your statement again.

Just a semi-defense of the statement- I've read it in the press. It was a couple of years ago but it did mention UCF as a wild card in Big Ten expansion- before they became B1G. It was only 1 article, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't written by the prof. and it discussed the things you mentioned but was of the opinion that what UCF brought could be at least even with image problems. Seemed to say time to fight with the big boys, i.e. SEC in sports. Obviously didn't happen.

Sounds like I hit a nerve. Don't let your passion obscure you to all the factual errors you made. Locals once blamed Penn State, too, for joining the Big Ten, but like Nebraska it was the right decision. Same for A&M and Missouri joining the SEC. By the way, not only was our recruiting class ahead of some Big Ten schools, so is our academics (our SATs are above Michigan St., Indiana, Iowa, and Purdue).

Reactions: KnightLife1

Bingo. We couldn't even convince the B12. Forget the B10

Bingo. We couldn't even convince the B12. Forget the B10
What do you mean "even"? UT has the biggest athletic budget in the nation. Also, as I recall, no other school could either. The Big 12 arrogance has made them a slo-mo car wreck. Our only hope is getting into a P5 conference and UCF offers the Big Ten the most. As BC, Rutgers, Syracuse, and Maryland additions to P5 conferences show, expansion is purely about adding markets and not winning. If anything, schools prefer mediocre doormats rather than great teams. Why don't folks understand that it's all about business.

FSU will go to Big 10 and UCF will go ACC......some day. In the meantime win the AAC as much as possible in all sports and us fans give as much $$ and attend as many UCF sporting events as possible. CHARGE ON

FSU will go to Big 10 and UCF will go ACC......some day. In the meantime win the AAC as much as possible in all sports and us fans give as much $$ and attend as many UCF sporting events as possible. CHARGE ON
Miami has a MUCH better chance of going to the B1G than FSU. They bring solid academics, a big media market like Maryland & Rutgers, and "used to be highly relevant in football back in the day" like many current B1G schools.

Way more likely than UCF to Big 10.

Way more likely than UCF to Big 10.
The basis for FSU or Miami changing conference just isn't there. Possible parallels of established powers in one P5 conference moving to another are Nebraska joining the Big Ten, Colorado to the Pac 12, or Mizzou and A&M moving to the SEC. But only A&M and Nebraska had enjoyed prior recent success, and they were both very unhappy and fled from the unstable, UTexas-run conference. Miami and FSU are quite satisfied in the ACC, don't want to go up against powerhouse Ohio St., Michigan, Wisconsin, and Penn State or play in snow and cold each year! UCF already has cold-weather UConn, Temple, Memphis, and Cincy and also can't afford to be choosy. Meanwhile, the Big Ten, having already added Penn State and Nebraska, doesn't need more powerhouses. They need new, growing markets to offset their declining rustbelt population base.

Miami has a MUCH better chance of going to the B1G than FSU. They bring solid academics, a big media market like Maryland & Rutgers, and "used to be highly relevant in football back in the day" like many current B1G schools.

Isn't the buyout like $30 Million if FSU decided to leave the conference?

God, reading posts about UCF going to the Big 10 on here just makes me worried that people read this board and assume all UCF fans are quite that clueless.

You cant blame them. UCF does have quite a legitimate shot more than most schools to become P5. Id say BIG10 is the least likely and makes the least sense, but still.

God, reading posts about UCF going to the Big 10 on here just makes me worried that people read this board and assume all UCF fans are quite that clueless.
Notice that you threw spitballs without dispute it. I'm not saying it will happen or is even likely. Just that's the most likely way the program is viable over the next 10 years while the P5 continues to create increasing quality and revenue separation from the AAC.

You got a better survival tactic than that, I'd love to hear it? The only other possible strategies are merging AAC with Big 12 after it implodes, waiting for Pac 12 to make a national expansion, or trying to get a retooled AAC accepted by sports cables as a new "power" conference). And why do we care what lurkers or pundits say? We never did before!

Notice that you threw spitballs without dispute it. I'm not saying it will happen or is even likely. Just that's the most likely way the program is viable over the next 10 years while the P5 continues to create increasing quality and revenue separation from the AAC.

You got a better survival tactic than that, I'd love to hear it? The only other possible strategies are merging AAC with Big 12 after it implodes, waiting for Pac 12 to make a national expansion, or trying to get a retooled AAC accepted by sports cables as a new "power" conference). And why do we care what lurkers or pundits say? We never did before!

UCF has a better chance of getting into the PAC than the BIG10, and mentioning it as if it's an actual, however unlikely option, is ludicrous. It's impossible for a reasonable person to take you seriously when you even bring up that conference name in this discussion and quite frankly, you make UCF fans look bad with most of your posts here.

UCF and the BIG10, good god, next you'll say we've got an outside shot of joining the NFC West.:joy:

You cant blame them. UCF does have quite a legitimate shot more than most schools to become P5. Id say BIG10 is the least likely and makes the least sense, but still.

Becoming a member of a P5, and joining the BIG10 are two totally different things. The only aspect of membership into the BIG10 that UCF meets is the fact it's a University with sports teams. I'm not saying that flippantly, I mean that in a factual sense. We don't meet the criteria academically (by a wiiiiide margin), we don't meet the criteria geographically, we don't meet the criteria culturally, the list literally goes on.

Which, depending how TV contracts continue to increase, could easily be worthwhile in the near future. Why would they not leave for 1 year of TV revenue if they can make 25% more a year by leaving?

Becoming a member of a P5, and joining the BIG10 are two totally different things. The only aspect of membership into the BIG10 that UCF meets is the fact it's a University with sports teams. I'm not saying that flippantly, I mean that in a factual sense. We don't meet the criteria academically (by a wiiiiide margin), we don't meet the criteria geographically, we don't meet the criteria culturally, the list literally goes on.
Whaaa? Please check the facts.
1. Academics: Just because they have top 50 academically-ranked private universities Stanford, Duke, USC, Notre Dame, BC, and Vandy, the P5 heavily clogged with state universities with 60 and 70% acceptance rates, SATs well below UCF's, and substantially lower freshman admit high school class rankings. There are zero academic issues facing UCF (or Rice, Tulane, obviously) like there would be for low-academic ECU, Marshall, Southern Miss, or Memphis. As far as research prestige, grants, grad schools, UCF has qualified as Carnegie Research I university for quite a while, has one of the largest research parks, now has a research medical school.
2. What is the most obvious difference (and biggest barrier to admittance for a G5 school) between P5 and G5? The P5 contains state flagship universities (____-State or U. of _____) with large resident student populations (typically located in inaccessible small towns) while the G5 have the directional and big urban commuter schools. The result is graduates have the cache, status and their university is favored with more funding, more on campus social life that encourages lifelong alumni bonding.
What makes UCF different: UCF was among the few G5 exceptions by having a sizable statewide enrollment (especially after UF and more recently FSU made admission to difficult), the largest university-administered residence population, and the only state university in Florida with a decently high graduation rate (though still well below FSU and UF). The other factor that might justify more P5 Florida schools is that, like Texas, huge population, growth, and football hotbed for recruits. That sure helped Texas elevate several otherwise "unqualified" universities into the Big 12.
However, extremely low Central Florida wages, low, stagnant attendance, and Big 3 opposition to entry into the ACC and SEC (while UT welcomed other Texas teams in).

Reactions: SublimeKnight
UCF has a better chance of getting into the PAC than the BIG10, and mentioning it as if it's an actual, however unlikely option, is ludicrous. It's impossible for a reasonable person to take you seriously when you even bring up that conference name in this discussion and quite frankly, you make UCF fans look bad with most of your posts here.

UCF and the BIG10, good god, next you'll say we've got an outside shot of joining the NFC West.:joy:
The one thing that can get you into a better conference is money. If UCF found its own version of Phil Knight and our annual budget went to 100 million a year that changes things. Expand our stadium to 70,000 to accommodate the 15 to 20k fans that will travel to Orlando from many Big 10 schools. We are already investing in upgrades to other facilties. We don't have the endowment but we do have location, recruiting and a growing alumni base. I think the Big 10 would at least start taking our calls and taking us seriously if we could pull this off.

It's a tough sale but packing out our stadium every week helps as well. Our biggest issue is that many of our older alumni have never bought into supporting the school with an annual donation to the GKC and buying at least 2 season tickets every year. If they had we wouldn't be going through this radical increase in ticket prices right now just to keep competing with other and bigger programs.

This is the real question. How do you get older graduates to start supporting in big numbers and making sure you keep the young alumni engaged who have graduated within the past 5 to 10 years?

I'll tell you one way. President Hitt, Danny White and every coach at UCF need to start recruiting the alumni with in home visits to every graduate of UCF that is willing to have them. You have to change the hearts and minds of each UCF grad one at a time. You are always investing in people so if the UCF leadership want take the time to invest in the very people who are the reason the doors at UCF are still open why would we expect disconnected alumni to invest in our athletics program.

I know that President Hitt and Danny are busy people but they could start this initiative in the summers when school isn't as busy and when most coaches have more time on their hands. Dr. Hitt needs to open his home to everyday graduates to entertain them and ask for more support. Are they too proud? Form volunteer teams to organize the initiative as I know other UCF employees are busy.

Bottom line, find ways to personally connect with alumni that shows you care more about them as people than just what you may want them to give to the university.

I did get a call from Alumni affairs who ask to take me to lunch which is nice. But that still doesn't go far enough to attract the big supportive numbers we need. UCF doesn't need to convince me to support them but there's a lot of folks that do need convincing.

Isn't this thread about UCF competing against the Big 3 IN FLORIDA now for recruits...NOT about conference realignment??? UCF fans, let's at least show that we can read.
Wow! The first thread ever that looked beneath the question into why it matters. UM, UF, and FSU know that if UCF ever gets into a P5 conference, their strongest recruiting argument -- staying near home -- gets diluted by up to 33%.

Right now, we are no threat to take any Florida 4 stars from them. FSU got 6 of its 12 four and five stars recruits from Florida (and the rest from the South). UM got 6 of its 10 four stars from Florida. UF got 8 of its 11 four stars from in-state. That's 20 of 33 (60%) from Florida.

If we joined a P5 conference, we'd certainly start by getting 1 from each of the Big 3 each year (they'd still get most of them, the other 17) plus at least 2 others. So that's 5 per year instead of 1 or 0. And that total would only grow. What a huge threat to them in their lucrative home territory. No wonder they'd move heaven and earth to keep us out!

Thus, we can only target the Pac 12 (if/when they go national, with an eastern division and a Pacific Coast division), the Big 12 (if/when Oklahoma leaves), or the Big Ten. The Big Ten's eastern division is closer than when we were in the MAC and not any farther than playing in Texas, Oklahoma, UConn, Cincy, and Memphis. Why would they take us (see reasons above). So we need to pursue all 3 expansion possibilities to maximize our chances.

Hence why i said, makes the least sense, maybe second to PAC 12.

Maryland left the ACC for the B1G after the ACC GOR. The buyout was negotiated down. IIRC FSU (along with Maryland) voted against the increased buyout, which I would think buys you a little more leverage in a legal battle.

Wow! The first thread ever that looked beneath the question into why it matters. UM, UF, and FSU know that if UCF ever gets into a P5 conference, their strongest recruiting argument -- staying near home -- gets diluted by up to 33%.

Right now, we are no threat to take any Florida 4 stars from them. FSU got 6 of its 12 four and five stars recruits from Florida (and the rest from the South). UM got 6 of its 10 four stars from Florida. UF got 8 of its 11 four stars from in-state. That's 20 of 33 (60%) from Florida.

If we joined a P5 conference, we'd certainly start by getting 1 from each of the Big 3 each year (they'd still get most of them, the other 17) plus at least 2 others. So that's 5 per year instead of 1 or 0. And that total would only grow. What a huge threat to them in their lucrative home territory. No wonder they'd move heaven and earth to keep us out!

Thus, we can only target the Pac 12 (if/when they go national, with an eastern division and a Pacific Coast division), the Big 12 (if/when Oklahoma leaves), or the Big Ten. The Big Ten's eastern division is closer than when we were in the MAC and not any farther than playing in Texas, Oklahoma, UConn, Cincy, and Memphis. Why would they take us (see reasons above). So we need to pursue all 3 expansion possibilities to maximize our chances.
Dude, shut up about the B1G. The only thing relevant you have spewed is why some Tier 2 schools are beneath us. Duh, good argument there. Carnegie Tier 1 helps, but there are over 100 schools with said title. AAU status (which is pretty much a must for B1G) involves hundreds of factors that UCF just doesn't have other than Carnegie. Quality/ranking of programs, faculty awards, student/teacher ratios, Federal and State and Private/Industrial research funding, and many other factors. UConn has been fighting for AAU membership and still hasn't been accepted. You want to talk academics???

Also important to ANY P5 conference is what networks are willing to pay for them. Until we grow our national following, fill our stadiums and arenas, and grow our athletics budget, we aren't going anywhere. And with the money gap growing between have's and have not's, it will become more and more difficult to compete and grow. Add in one of the lowest endowments of D1 schools and no real history or traditions (other than spirit splash), we have a long way to go. But hey, at least we are not trying to steal traditions like our sister school. LOL

Maryland left the ACC for the B1G after the ACC GOR. The buyout was negotiated down. IIRC FSU (along with Maryland) voted against the increased buyout, which I would think buys you a little more leverage in a legal battle.
The ACC was being raided so heavily, forcing the ACC to raid the old Big East and then blocked all future raids with what amounts to a poison pill protection clause, which halted the P5 expansion era. The Pac12 and Big 12 remain small, but the next and final expansion is likely to be 5 conferences of 16. But if the Big 12 collapses, we'll see a slight contraction to a P4 of 16 schools each (bad new for most AAC school invites).

The Big Ten and SEC are the big revenue conferences (attendance, viewers), so if the SEC grabs Oklahoma first, big prize Texas would have to follow, which leaves the other three conferences left to fight over seconds from a folded Big 12 and the best markets available from the AAC. Fearing this worst case dynamics, the non-SEC P5 conferences will act preemptively to tender invites to the most attractive AAC. Baylor, West Virginia, and Oklahoma St. will also be tempted to accept an early invite rather than risks being the odd man out after the Big 12 collapses. When could this occur. As early as 2020 well before cable contract renewal.

The ACC was being raided so heavily, forcing the ACC to raid the old Big East and then blocked all future raids with what amounts to a poison pill protection clause, which halted the P5 expansion era.
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I believe the ACC GOR was voted on and passed a month before the B1G raided the ACC for Maryland.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I believe the ACC GOR was voted on and passed a month before the B1G raided the ACC for Maryland.
Right, the GOR deal of 2013 and fleshed out further last year replaced the $50 million exit clause.
http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/acc-approves-grant-of-rights-deal/
Maryland's settlement resulted in them paying $31 million to exit and drop their suit against the ACC, so we'll never know if the courts would have trashed it. And perhaps the 2016 redo closed more loopholes. Still, GORs are classic restraint of trade, collusion, and every other violation.

I honestly don't give a crap about P5 status anymore. Why is it really that important? Access to the playoffs?

Playoffs? What the...playoffs?

Win the AAC, go 12-1 or 13-0, go to a NY6 bowl. I'm good with that.

Playoffs.

Are you kidding me?

I honestly don't give a crap about P5 status anymore. Why is it really that important? Access to the playoffs?
Playoffs.
Are you kidding me?
The AAC should be called the AAA, triple-A farm league. We develop coaches for the majors under simulated conditions and supply later-round players for the NFL draft. We fill in the sports cable weekday TV schedule of freebie broadcasts.

Unlike the AAC in basketball, with some of the greatest programs and players of all time, like Memphis, Cincy, Houston, UConn (Oscar Robertson, Elvin Hayes, Derick Rose, Penny Hardaway, Larry Kenon, Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler, Jack Twyman, Ray Allen. These schools won numerous national championships. What about AAC football schools: they're famous for basketball only! The AAC is a basketball conference.

Playoffs.

Are you kidding me?
I am too!!! Just get me out of town to Arizona or somewhere nice for a fun New Years game against a P5!

I'm tired of Cure Bowls, Beef O'Brady Wings Bowls in an oblong baseball stadium and the Bluecocky Bowl

Reactions: OmniKnight
fbz_5fe28ab1d549a9b244bff8e10e9f02e0.jpg

Reactions: OmniKnight
The AAC should be called the AAA, triple-A farm league. We develop coaches for the majors under simulated conditions and supply later-round players for the NFL draft. We fill in the sports cable weekday TV schedule of freebie broadcasts.

Unlike the AAC in basketball, with some of the greatest programs and players of all time, like Memphis, Cincy, Houston, UConn (Oscar Robertson, Elvin Hayes, Derick Rose, Penny Hardaway, Larry Kenon, Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler, Jack Twyman, Ray Allen. These schools won numerous national championships. What about AAC football schools: they're famous for basketball only! The AAC is a basketball conference.
None of those players played in AAC. Only 1 played in Big East. Please mention all time greats from last 8 years from those schools.

Last years NBA draft had 1 player from conference. 2nd round 56th pick from UCONN. NFL had 2 players in first round chosen.

None of those players played in AAC. Only 1 played in Big East. Please mention all time greats from last 8 years from those schools.
Plenty of them, but I didn't include any from this century because they aren't historical (yet). Quite a few though. And it continues. UConn had one of the very top recruiting classes in the nation this year. What's the AAC football recruiting? -- 50 million posts here about AAC being 50th, 70th, 90th in recruits.

The AAC now has several of the biggest names and winningest active coaches (and that's AFTER Larry Brown just left, who had signed the top recruit in the nation a couple years ago -- until he decided to go pro). Meanwhile, we cheer because football offensive coordinators from Ohio St. stop briefly in the AAC to be newbie head coaches before leaving for the real thing.

Or take last weekend's UConn game here, packed with their rowdy alums despite their mediocre record (due to injury). The only time I saw such a thing for UCF football was the Virginia Tech game at the Citrus Bowl when Michael Vick played (or didn't have to play). Traveling fans for AAC basketball are the norm because these are historic fan bases.

Plenty of them, but I didn't include any from this century because they aren't historical (yet). Quite a few though. And it continues. UConn had one of the very top recruiting classes in the nation this year. What's the AAC football recruiting? -- 50 million posts here about AAC being 50th, 70th, 90th in recruits.

The AAC now has several of the biggest names and winningest active coaches (and that's AFTER Larry Brown just left, who had signed the top recruit in the nation a couple years ago -- until he decided to go pro). Meanwhile, we cheer because football offensive coordinators from Ohio St. stop briefly in the AAC to be newbie head coaches before leaving for the real thing.

Or take last weekend's UConn game here, packed with their rowdy alums despite their mediocre record (due to injury). The only time I saw such a thing for UCF football was the Virginia Tech game at the Citrus Bowl when Michael Vick played (or didn't have to play). Traveling fans for AAC basketball are the norm because these are historic fan bases.
Our arena rarely sells out. Football does for big games. BC, UT. Among others.

Our arena rarely sells out. Football does for big games. BC, UT. Among others.
Now who is grabbing at straws? The last time we were filling BHS was in the era when we were also filling the CFE against MARSHALL!? The big lie is that if only we win more or we have big name opponents or it's not in the noon heat or it's not televised or its not on a weekday or the economy recovers more or ... That dog won't hunt. Sure those things matter, but not that much.

Attendance has been way off in football as well as basketball for a few years. Happens everywhere after the blush of a new stadium and arena are off the rose. Also, I'm the only one who mentions that only of the biggest attractions was the Bounce House, which isn't allowed to bounce anymore since they tightened up the screws; that in turn meant we lost much of our home field advantage (ask coaches of visiting teams: they'll tell you how they USED TO dread playing here). Jumping was the student activity that brought students out. Fantasy sports, sports bars, inexpensive big screen systems in the man cave, distractions of smart phones that rule our existence, and traffic congestion destroyed butts in seats (not tickets sold) for most sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT