ADVERTISEMENT

UCF opens -7.5 over Stanford

I really don’t understand this line. Costello is playing this week and Gabriel looked completely overwhelmed and inept at times and this was against FAU! Hate to say it, the smart money is on Stanford.

How good is Costello?
269 413 65.1 3540 8.6 29 11

He’s good IMO. The competition hasn’t been great in the PAC-12, but he’s solid

He’s 6’5 222. He’s a big QB, but he’s not a running threat

The biggest problem is that he lacks weapons in 2019

Why are people saying DG looked inept when we scored more than Ohio State and our STs did absolutely nothing. Fair catch every time. Defense only caused 1 TO. I saw a couple really bad passes. Imagine once he’s totally calm and confident in offense. You get that way by playing. I’d rather start him this year and let chips fall. Then 2 or 3 years of great offensive play.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
"Why are people saying DG looked inept "

Because they didn't watch the game and just looked at the Stats. When Dillon was 0-7 on completions at one point the score was already 21-0. Didn't matter. The game was never in doubt. Plus, conspiracy theorist in me has me thinking coaches were not giving Stanford any more game film to study. I may be giving the coaches too much credit on that one thinking ahead like that. But, once game was in hand, and it was early and apparent that our defense could finish the game out, UCF went vanilla offense. i.e. let foot off the gas. Maybe not though and DG was inept. :p More than likely it was FAU making defensive adjustments coupled with DG hitting a freshman wall. He is going to make mistakes and he did against FAU. Glad he made them then rather than later. Go Knights.

Why are people saying DG looked inept when we scored more than Ohio State and our STs did absolutely nothing. Fair catch every time. Defense only caused 1 TO. I saw a couple really bad passes. Imagine once he’s totally calm and confident in offense. You get that way by playing. I’d rather start him this year and let chips fall. Then 2 or 3 years of great offensive play.

Because if we didn’t have a stable of stud running backs and a really improved defense, that game on Saturday is much closer.

IMO it’s really a choice for what we as a fan base want. Start Gabriel, give him experience with trial by fire. He’ll make mistakes but hopefully improve in the future. If we e do this I say we go 9-3. Good season, but does that ruin our buzz we’ve created over the last two years?

Last edited:
I think we roll with DG but have BW play a few series each game to give defenses a different look. Or this becomes Mack when he returns to run a wild knight formation. Or we just put all 4 qbs on the field in formation and defenses have no clue who is throwing it

If anyone has some free time, I was wondering how many times in the past 5 years Stanford has been at least a 7 point underdog. Can't imagine it's too many times.
Washington 11/3/2018 -9.5 (lost by 4)
USC 9/19/2015 -9.5 (won by 10)
Oregon 11/7/2013 -10 (won by 6)

These are the only games where Stanford has been more than a TD underdog in the past 7 years.

Speed Kills...WRs, RBs, DLs...UCF doubles Stanfords score.

If DG starts, I have a feeling we are going to have a big game because he runs
the fast offense the best. I believe we are going to see UCF getting multiple interceptions as DL pressures QB.

Washington 11/3/2018 -9.5 (lost by 4)
USC 9/19/2015 -9.5 (won by 10)
Oregon 11/7/2013 -10 (won by 6)

These are the only games where Stanford has been more than a TD underdog in the past 7 years.
This is inflating my fan-ego. But the results temper expectations.

We need to establish a rhythm on offense and disrupt their rhythm on defense. If we do that, I like our chances*

I'm still going with double the score, here's more info why...

K.J. Costello is available after missing last week's loss to USC with a head injury. Davis Mills started for the Cardinal in the 45-20 loss to the Trojans, throwing for 237 yards, a touchdown and an interception.

Costello took a brutal hit to the head from Northwestern's Earnest Brown in Week 1. The hit caused Costello's head to slam against the turf as he was sliding to give himself up. He was 16-of-20 passing for 152 yards and one touchdown in the first half prior to the injury. Getting Costello back in time for this key early-season nonconference road game is huge for the Cardinal. Costello was named to the second team of the preseason All Pac-12 team by the media. He threw for 3,540 yards and 29 touchdowns as a sophomore in 2018.

However, the Cardinal will be without one tackle, Walker Little, and likely another, Foster Sarell. Little will have season-ending surgery on an apparent leg injury that he also suffered in the Northwestern game. Little was originally scheduled to miss at least six weeks, per Bruce Feldman of the Athletic. Walker was a preseason first-team All America selection by CBS Sports and other publications. The Athletic's latest 2020 NFL mock draft has Walker as a top-10 selection.

I'm still going with double the score, here's more info why...

K.J. Costello is available after missing last week's loss to USC with a head injury. Davis Mills started for the Cardinal in the 45-20 loss to the Trojans, throwing for 237 yards, a touchdown and an interception.

Costello took a brutal hit to the head from Northwestern's Earnest Brown in Week 1. The hit caused Costello's head to slam against the turf as he was sliding to give himself up. He was 16-of-20 passing for 152 yards and one touchdown in the first half prior to the injury. Getting Costello back in time for this key early-season nonconference road game is huge for the Cardinal. Costello was named to the second team of the preseason All Pac-12 team by the media. He threw for 3,540 yards and 29 touchdowns as a sophomore in 2018.

However, the Cardinal will be without one tackle, Walker Little, and likely another, Foster Sarell. Little will have season-ending surgery on an apparent leg injury that he also suffered in the Northwestern game. Little was originally scheduled to miss at least six weeks, per Bruce Feldman of the Athletic. Walker was a preseason first-team All America selection by CBS Sports and other publications. The Athletic's latest 2020 NFL mock draft has Walker as a top-10 selection.
So true freshman at LT and RG

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Stanford still managed to score 20 in the first half, although I have no idea how good USCs defense is. Regardless, with Costello back I'm sure theyll move the ball.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Stanford still managed to score 20 in the first half, although I have no idea how good USCs defense is. Regardless, with Costello back I'm sure theyll move the ball.
I'm banking on him not being able to get comfortable in the pocket because of our pressure. Their OL will have their hands full with our DL. When our DL gets shut down, I'm very concerned with our lack of KZ QBing this season.

I really don’t understand this line. Costello is playing this week and Gabriel looked completely overwhelmed and inept at times and this was against FAU! Hate to say it, the smart money is on Stanford.

I think that's stretching it. DG never looked overwhelmed nor inept against FAU. He simply didn't have as good a game as game 1. But he didn't throw any picks, nor did he take a lot of sacks and he led us to a huge win.

A QB who wasn't overwhelmed and inept wouldn't have done that.

We need to establish a rhythm on offense and disrupt their rhythm on defense. If we do that, I like our chances*

This is what I think:

We gotta tick and we gotta go, and guys have got to move, If we get rhythm established on offense and disrupt the rhythm on defense, then we should have us a good day.
Ya don’t say...:cool:

I think that's stretching it. DG never looked overwhelmed nor inept against FAU. He simply didn't have as good a game as game 1. But he didn't throw any picks, nor did he take a lot of sacks and he led us to a huge win.

A QB who wasn't overwhelmed and inept wouldn't have done that.
He had 1 bad quarter. 3rd Quarter he had like 150 yards though. I don’t get why people say he didn’t play well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT