ADVERTISEMENT

UCF Portal Thread-signings/rumors

DeQuan Finn looks outstanding in his films and Nate Johnson also looks very good. Think I like Finn better. I don't think we even offered him. I know he went to Baylor for a visit.
I’d rather Nate Johnson. I think he has 2-3 years eligibility and runs like a leopard. But ultimately, I would take a 1 yr bonafide starter to bridge the gap for EJ or Riley. That’s why McCall was the perfect option. I thinks it’s possible we don’t sign Riley though, now that EJ reclassified.

Reactions: Knightmare13
Riley actually looks REALLY good. I’d be so good with him as the future,
Jon Stewart What GIF

• Dislike
Reactions: U C to the F
Auburn Legacy 1 is also posting in the free section of the UCF 247 site. He is bashing Riley Trujillo and calling him “a wasted scholarship”. This dude needs some serious help.

https://247sports.com/college/centr...s-your-take-on-malik-murphy-223123833/?page=1
I was trying to be sensitive and only post on 247 since the kid's family reads this forum. But if you are a big enough azz to post things behind pay walls as your own, I shouldn't be surprised that you would post stuff on other forums on this site. You should at least have the respect to quote me directly.

I will post this here only (247).

Riley Trujillo is a wasted scholarship. UCF should break off communication. Of the four previous Bartram Trail quarterbacks (Joey Gatewood, Riley Smith, Chad Dodson, and Santino Marucci), only Dodson still plays quarterback.

Dodson quarterbacks D2 Pittsburg State, which has one of the lowest tuition rates in America. (I am not certain he didn't walk on originally.)

Smith (Boise State) and journeyman Gatewood (Louisville), as you know, were converted into tight ends. Marucci, son of former Miami Hurricanes RB Jason Marucci, signed as a quarterback with Wake Forest. He landed in the portal last month where he is listed as a "running back."

Trujillo is "average as pond water." He is a Darwin Hinshaw recruit Gus should have vetoed.

Finding a good Bartram Trail QB is like finding a good Miami Hurricanes football coach. Your chances are better of finding aliens or Bigfoot.

I’d rather Nate Johnson. I think he has 2-3 years eligibility and runs like a leopard. But ultimately, I would take a 1 yr bonafide starter to bridge the gap for EJ or Riley. That’s why McCall was the perfect option. I thinks it’s possible we don’t sign Riley though, now that EJ reclassified.
Wishful thinking. It's over.

Last edited:
I was trying to be sensitive and only post on 247 since the kid's family reads this forum. But if you are a big enough azz to post things behind pay walls as your own, I shouldn't be surprised that you would post stuff on other forums on this site. You should at least have the respect to quote me directly.

I will post this here only (247).

Riley Trujillo is a wasted scholarship. UCF should break off communication. Of the four previous Bartram Trail quarterbacks (Joey Gatewood, Riley Smith, Chad Dodson, and Santino Marucci), only Dodson still plays quarterback.

Dodson quarterbacks D2 Pittsburg State, which has one of the lowest tuition rates in America. (I am not certain he didn't walk on originally.)

Smith (Boise State) and journeyman Gatewood (Louisville), as you know, were converted into tight ends. Marucci, son of former Miami Hurricanes RB Jason Marucci, signed as a quarterback with Wake Forest. He landed in the portal last month where he is listed as a "running back."

Trujillo is "average as pond water." He is a Darwin Hinshaw recruit Gus should have vetoed.

Finding a good Bartram Trail QB is like finding a good Miami Hurricanes football coach. Your chances are better of finding aliens or Bigfoot.

Wishful thinking. It's over.
Please kindly **** off already. If either of you have watched Riley’s tape, you wouldn’t be so ignorant. Lobocane looking at ratings/stars/offers, you comparing other past Bartram Trail QBs as if that relates to Riley…you both are idiots

I’d rather Nate Johnson. I think he has 2-3 years eligibility and runs like a leopard.
3 years....and would be a great pickup.

Scouting report
"Speed, speed and more speed. With an arm to boot. Johnson is one of the fastest football players in the state, not just quarterbacks, players, period, running a 10.56 100m this spring. But lest you think he's just a running quarterback, he's more a quarterback that can run- Johnson still wants to make plays with his arm. He's got a unique skill set, with arm strength and a quicker, consistent release and a smooth motion. He is boiling with upside and has all the natural physical tools to be a great quarterback."

One of the fastest players in freakin Cali....not a podunk state.

Guy is built for our program....and is 6' 2"

Has the same transfer grade as McCall

Last edited:
Riley Trujillo is a wasted scholarship. UCF should break off communication.

geez, talk about "no credibility"

For you and the other moron, 247 has Trujillo at 0.87+ composite.....and a 0.89 is a 4 star

So anyone saying he is a mid-level 3 star just can't comprehend recruit rankings

For you and the other moron, 247 has Trujillo at 0.87+ composite.....and a 0.89 is a 4 star

So anyone saying he is a mid-level 3 star just can't comprehend recruit rankings
.89 is not a four star. It would help if you understood recruiting rankings UCF fan.

Has the same transfer grade as McCall
Lots of players have high transfer grades. It doesn't mean squat. He was recruited to be a wide receiver, but told he would get a shot at quarterback. He refused to change positions. He hit the portal.

Joey Gatewood (Bartram Trail QB) was recruited to be a tight end, but Gus promised him a shot at QB (at two different programs). It didn't work out. Now he is a tight end and is at least in the NFL draft/free agency conversation. Hopefully he and former teammate Riley Smith will get some looks. (I think Smith's future is in broadcasting though.)

Back to Johnson, do I think he could develop into a quarterback the caliber of JRP in three years? If in the right system, yes I do. Do I think UCF needs an experienced backup? If course I do. But it ain't happening. Gus has a girth of QBs (SEVEN on roster), who aren't going anywhere. Three are transfers, who must sit out unless they enroll at lower level program.

I think ultimately the kid will get a starting job at an quality FCS or lower level G5 program. North Alabama would be a perfect landing spot. Gus protege' Brent Dearmon could work wonders with him. There is a chance Johnson will sign with an FBS program if the head coach can trick him into enrolling prior to changing his position to wide receiver.

This is me talking to you. Not some yahoo.

He is a "system" quarterback in the derogatory sense of the word. I can't 'connote' that enough.

Unfortunately, Trujillo isn't big enough to move to TE or fast enough to play RB. Maybe a D2 will offer him a shot.

Lots of players have high transfer grades. It doesn't mean squat. He was recruited to be a wide receiver, but told he would get a shot at quarterback. He refused to change positions. He hit the portal.

Joey Gatewood (Bartram Trail QB) was recruited to be a tight end, but Gus promised him a shot at QB (at two different programs). It didn't work out. Now he is a tight end and is at least in the NFL draft/free agency conversation. Hopefully he and former teammate Riley Smith will get some looks. (I think Smith's future is in broadcasting though.)

Back to Johnson, do I think he could develop into a quarterback the caliber of JRP in three years? If in the right system, yes I do. Do I think UCF needs an experienced backup? If course I do. But it ain't happening. Gus has a girth of QBs (SEVEN on roster), who aren't going anywhere. Three are transfers, who must sit out unless they enroll at lower level program.

I think ultimately the kid will get a starting job at an quality FCS or lower level G5 program. North Alabama would be a perfect landing spot. Gus protege' Brent Dearmon could work wonders with him. There is a chance Johnson will sign with an FBS program if the head coach can trick him into enrolling prior to changing his position to wide receiver.
No, lots of players DON'T have high transfer grades.....and no he was not recruited as a WR, 4 star QBs wouldn't let himself get a position change that quickly.

The kid will get a P4 team.....hope it is ours, we need to reduce the number of QBs and bring in someone tailor made for the system to compete.

BTW, we just cleared another spot with Dallaz Corbitt now in the portal.

Last edited:
No, lots of players DON'T have high transfer grades.....and no he was not recruited as a WR, 4 star QBs wouldn't let himself get a position change that quickly.

The kid will get a P4 team.....hope it is ours, we need to reduce the number of QBs and bring in someone tailor made for the system to compete.

Typical post by a UCF fan. UCF will have five scholarship QB and that’s a lot. Malzahn can’t take another QB. He can’t. There are only 85 spots. Do you understand? Well? Do you?

Typical post by a UCF fan. UCF will have five scholarship QB and that’s a lot. Malzahn can’t take another QB. He can’t. There are only 85 spots. Do you understand? Well? Do you?
We all understand you are a stupid piece of crap who has NEVER set foot on a college campus

One of those 5 can be processed out, and someone else brought in....do YOU understand that moron?

Why don't you try to mix in some higher education instead of hanging out on a board where NO ONE wants you

We all understand you are a stupid piece of crap who has NEVER set foot on a college campus

One of those 5 can be processed out, and someone else brought in....do YOU understand that moron?

Why don't you try to mix in some higher education instead of hanging out on a board where NO ONE wants you
They are scholarship players and not high school recruits little man. You don’t understand college football. Move it along now.

• Dislike
Reactions: Robert0122
They are scholarship players and not high school recruits little man. You don’t understand college football. Move it along now.
Damn you are a metal midget....scholarships are year to year, guys can be processed at any time. Even further, as of now, there are unlimited transfers.

When does your McD shift start, get off our board

How about we change the system since there seem to be so few high quality QBs interested in playing in that system? Just a thought. Or how about adapting the system to the available talent on hand? Just another thought.

Last edited:
Damn you are a metal midget....scholarships are year to year, guys can be processed at any time. Even further, as of now, there are unlimited transfers.

When does your McD shift start, get off our board
You have the IQ of a slug. Keep parroting on taking another QB with five scholarships already slotted to that position. Also, do you have your list for Santa ready?

How about we change the system since there seem to be so few high QBs interested in playing in that system? Just a thought. Or how about adapting the system to the available talent on hand? Just another thought.
Well we saw with Mikey Keene that Gus is pretty inflexible, he always had a scowl on his face when Keene was in, and always smiling with JRP.

On the other side of this, having a unique system gives us access to guys the P4 teams would generally avoid.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Well we saw with Mikey Keene that Gus is pretty inflexible, he always had a scowl on his face when Keene was in, and always smiling with JRP.

On the other side of this, having a unique system gives us access to guys the P4 teams would generally avoid.
this is spot on ..not just with Keene but with McClain too . Even during a few JRP disaster class performances he would have way more patience

I think we are still in the market....replace Williams with Nate Johnson and plan to redshirt Colson unless he wins the job outright. Still want Trujillo, but wonder if he is looking elsewhere.
Colson's arrival in 24 doesn't change the landscape for Trujillo, who was projected by most to redshirt in '24 anyway. In other words he was originally projected to compete against Colson in 2025. Now it's just moved up a year and he will initially compete against Colson in 2024 instead of'25. If Trujillo was unwilling to compete against Colson he would have decommitted long ago.

Colson's arrival in 24 doesn't change the landscape for Trujillo, who was projected by most to redshirt in '24 anyway. In other words he was originally projected to compete against Colson in 2025. Now it's just moved up a year and he will initially compete against Colson in 2024 instead of'25. If Trujillo was unwilling to compete against Colson he would have decommitted long ago.
I would agree with you EXCEPT strange things happen in the heads of 17 year olds.

They are in even ground now. He would have had a year experience over Colson. Doesn’t have that advantage now.

So why did he recruit and offer McCall?

Is it so hard to understand that a viable veteran QB with options is not going to want to play for Gus Malzahn. The Man had a bad reputation at Auburn and it only got worse at UCF.

His rigid and archaic offensive schemes do not lead to NFL development. He is also known to favorite certain guys and play them no matter what.

• Dislike
Reactions: Robert0122
Keep an eye on Farmer and Fox…they are looking to flip. It’s easy to negative recruit against good ole Gus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT