ADVERTISEMENT

UCF Portal Thread-signings/rumors

Yeah, I hate to give up on McClain as well. Nothing wrong with bringing in a veteran/depth QB from the portal, but completely moving on from McClain may not be the way to go.

We all know JRP is an elite athlete with incredible straight-line speed, but I actually think Timmy has better feet (and is more shifty/elusive). I think he’s got plus-arm strength, and we know he throws a nice deep ball.

For me, I still think McClain has a ways to go with game management and situational awareness (down and distance, reads, field balance). The game looks like it’s still moving a little fast for him, but he just hasn’t played all that much. I think he will naturally get better in those areas with more in-game reps.

He has physical tools you can’t coach up, and I could see him blowing up at a third school (if he were to leave, which obviously isn’t the case yet).
He actually ran out of bounds for over a 10 yard loss twice. I was shocked the first time he did it against Kansas State when we were driving with momentum.

• Wow
Reactions: FoxKnight
Guys recruited by chicken eater Gus Malzahn.

College Football Coaches Tell Us Which Chicken Sandwich Is Their Favorite

Gus Malzahn

"... sometimes at Waffle House I’ll take my chicken and stick it between two waffles and make my own chicken-and-waffle sandwich!"

(My personal favorite response for obvious reasons)...

Jim Harbaugh

Chicken?? Absolutely not! I’ve told you people before — chicken is a nervous bird. Destroying that monstrosity of an animal is one of my most passionate endeavors in this sport. I was furious when my team was put in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl last year. How am I supposed to fire my team up to play football when we’re distracted by that fidgety fowl plastered everywhere?

But Coach, your 41-7 win in the 2016 Citrus Bowl was sponsored by Buffalo Wild Wings...

Yeah and? That food comes from buffaloes, not chickens.

By the way, Gus didn't recruit Quadric Bullard.

• Haha
Reactions: Central Floridave
College Football Coaches Tell Us Which Chicken Sandwich Is Their Favorite

Gus Malzahn

"... sometimes at Waffle House I’ll take my chicken and stick it between two waffles and make my own chicken-and-waffle sandwich!"

(My personal favorite response for obvious reasons)...

Jim Harbaugh

Chicken?? Absolutely not! I’ve told you people before — chicken is a nervous bird. Destroying that monstrosity of an animal is on of my most passionate endeavors in this sport. I was furious when my team was put in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl last year. How am I supposed to fire my team up to play football when we’re distracted by that fidgety fowl plastered everywhere?

But Coach, your 41-7 win in the 2016 Citrus Bowl was sponsored by Buffalo Wild Wings...

Yeah and? That food comes from buffaloes, not chickens.

By the way, Gus didn't recruit Quadric Bullard.

Where’s McCall?

He actually ran out of bounds for over a 10 yard loss twice. I was shocked the first time he did it against Kansas State when we were driving with momentum.
So what? Does that mean he should be benched forever? He made a couple mistakes. He'll get better playing with the 1's. Should we spend a million dollars on a portal qb because a guy made a couple of bad in-game decisions?

Reactions: Robert0122
The two schools going after McCall are UCF and NCS. He will probably make a decision late Sunday or Monday.

So what? Does that mean he should be benched forever? He made a couple mistakes. He'll get better playing with the 1's. Should we spend a million dollars on a portal qb because a guy made a couple of bad in-game decisions?
Unfortunately yes. We have to spend a ton! In the new big 12 we have to gain one of the top spots early. We want to be top dog

Reactions: Yaes
Yeah, I hate to give up on McClain as well. Nothing wrong with bringing in a veteran/depth QB from the portal, but completely moving on from McClain may not be the way to go.
I think any decently rated veteran transfer QB (grade over say a 0.87) sends McClain to the portal. Now if we got a young guy with a high ceiling but still inexperienced, I bet he stays to compete.

Reactions: FoxKnight
You nerd-board fan-boys should all show up at the hanger naked, with your dongs out.
It’s strange that you decided to randomly quote me and say this, considering earlier in this thread I specifically mentioned how desperate UCF fans have been overreacting to McCall.

I simply stated he was in town because people were confused if he was or not. But you are kind of a weirdo for that comment nonetheless.

Last edited:
If it gets the right QB.....
Funny, but I don't see anyway that is going to help us get the right QB but it certainly will scare away almost all of them. Wow what a horrible sight!

Last edited:
I understand a lot of the portal targets, but I am scratching my head about Myles Montgomery. I understand he is fast. I understand he was redshirted and has three years remaining. I understand he has a good YPC mark.

Is he being recruited specifically to replace Jordan McDonald in the Wildcat role? Did he pop on film when UCF was scouting Cincinnati? What's the deal?

I don’t know why he’d make a lateral move. Doesn’t make sense for him. We have guys lined up to get Carrie’s already.

I understand a lot of the portal targets, but I am scratching my head about Myles Montgomery. I understand he is fast. I understand he was redshirted and has three years remaining. I understand he has a good YPC mark.

Is he being recruited specifically to replace Jordan McDonald in the Wildcat role? Did he pop on film when UCF was scouting Cincinnati? What's the deal?

Probably just insurance in case Harvey (likely) and/or J. Richardson leaves. We haven’t heard anything, but if you lose those two guys…you’re left with two incoming true freshmen and D. Bowman. Not a lot of experience there.

Reactions: Yaes
Probably just insurance in case Harvey (likely) and/or J. Richardson leaves. We haven’t heard anything, but if you lose those two guys…you’re left with two incoming true freshmen and D. Bowman. Not a lot of experience there.
Assuming Harvey leaves, Richardson is NOT a 2 down back. Not much in the way of vision or footwork, which leads to poor rushing in between the tackles. Adrian Killins was a much better small back in between the tackles (and faster too). Richardson is a solid 3rd down back when you can get him outside and past the line of scrimmage.

So that, coupled with all the unknowns (Bowman, MAR (does he have eligibility left?), Gage, Arthur) means we may have a significant amount of carries available.

Reactions: Knight59 and Yaes
Assuming Harvey leaves, Richardson is NOT a 2 down back. Not much in the way of vision or footwork, which leads to poor rushing in between the tackles. Adrian Killins was a much better small back in between the tackles (and faster too). Richardson is a solid 3rd down back when you can get him outside and past the line of scrimmage.

So that, coupled with all the unknowns (Bowman, MAR (does he have eligibility left?), Gage, Arthur) means we may have a significant amount of carries available.
Agree, and Richardson also goes down quite easily. Not a leg driving back.

Reactions: Shark19
He is from Jacksonville, so it would be easier for his family to watch him. I understand all the potential question marks about the RB position. What I don't understand is...

Why this particular guy?

Gus didn't recruit him out of high school. He didn't make a splash when he played UCF (like Jireh Wilson). The portal is full of quality running backs.

So why would you chase the second-leading rusher among running backs at Cincinnati over other guys, like Armoni Goodwin, Cody Brown, Jamie Felix, Evan Pryor, (guys Gus actually recruited) etc.? Doesn't make sense.

Kid looks more like a KO returner than a RB. He doesn't have great acceleration. It takes him 12-15 yards to hit top speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight59
He is from Jacksonville, so it would be easier for his family to watch him. I understand all the potential question marks about the RB position. What I don't understand is...

Why this particular guy?

Gus didn't recruit him out of high school. He didn't make a splash when he played UCF (like Jireh Wilson). The portal is full of quality running backs.

So why would you chase the second-leading rusher among running backs at Cincinnati over other guys, like Armoni Goodwin, Cody Brown, Jamie Felix, (guy Gus actually recruited) etc.? Doesn't make sense.

Kid looks more like a KO returner than a RB. He doesn't have great acceleration. It takes him 12-15 yards to hit top speed.
Pretty obvious from the first couple of weeks that high end transfers still consider us a G5 school.....so that, along with our NIL situation doesn't give us any leverage for the top transfer guys. But maybe, just like with Bowser, the staff may think he is a diamond in the rough.

Pretty obvious from the first couple of weeks that high end transfers still consider us a G5 school.....so that, along with our NIL situation doesn't give us any leverage for the top transfer guys. But maybe, just like with Bowser, the staff may think he is a diamond in the rough.
Montgomery's NIL value is higher than Ohio State's Evan Pryor's and only slightly below LSU's Armoni Goodwin's. The others don't have values. Money isn't the issue.

UCF wants this guy for some reason.

Montgomery's NIL value is higher than Ohio State's Evan Pryor's and only slightly below LSU's Armoni Goodwin's. The others don't have values. Money isn't the issue.

No one knows the NIL asks other than the athlete and the program/collective. Everything else is BS.

Reactions: Robert0122

Decent stats this year for a team with a horrible OL, 6.5 yards per carry......yeah it's a mystery but it takes an agreement on both sides to finalize anything. You never know, maybe we are using him for leverage on someone else. Maybe he would be a walk-on.

Maybe they know MAR will move on.....he had 48 carries and 5 TDs in 2021.......the last 2 years combined 9 carries and 1 TD.

He was a big time recruit for UF a couple yrs ago. Not sure if he's done much on the field since, but on paper he seems like a good prospect.
He started his freshman year and this year he played 3 games and decided to take a redshirt. Presumably the coaching staff or school, it wasn’t playing time issues.

Decent stats this year for a team with a horrible OL, 6.5 yards per carry......yeah it's a mystery but it takes an agreement on both sides to finalize anything. You never know, maybe we are using him for leverage on someone else. Maybe he would be a walk-on.

Maybe they know MAR will move on.....he had 48 carries and 5 TDs in 2021.......the last 2 years combined 9 carries and 1 TD.
He was hurt. I don’t think he moves on. He looked good when I saw him get a few Carries. But odds are even if he starts he won’t be healthy all year.

The two schools going after McCall are UCF and NCS. He will probably make a decision late Sunday or Monday.
I hope McCall does commit today or tomorrow. A lot of transfer quarterbacks are already announcing. I also LOVE the fact that UCF gets the final official visit after GUS sneakily got McCall's first in-home. UCF is positioned to land its greatest transfer in program history.

I hope McCall does commit today or tomorrow. A lot of transfer quarterbacks are already announcing. I also LOVE the fact that UCF gets the final official visit after GUS sneakily got McCall's first in-home. UCF is positioned to land its greatest transfer in program history.

idk I think a full Saturday visit is better than a mostly Sunday . It wasn’t the traditional visit weekend bc he is short on time

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT