ADVERTISEMENT

UCF vs BYU Game Thread.

His recruits haven’t beaten a winning team this year. Those same recruits are getting humiliated on national tv and pushed around by a backup oline. But sure “he recruits better.” Frost’s recruits meanwhile are in the nfl or are getting ready for nfl.

They are playing ~4 freshman on defense tonight, at least 2 on the OL, etc. We have walk ons playing on the DL due to opt outs, injuries, and removed players. BYU has one of the best lines in the country.

Frost has put a couple of his recruits in the NFL at best. Take off the blinders.

It's official, all of the talent from 2017 and 2018 teams are gone. Something has to be done with the defense and the running game? New recruit at QB may be starter sooner than people expect.

Reactions: KnightLife1
The good thing about tonight is we were missing several of our defensive starters and hopefully the young guys got some valuable experience for next year
The problem is, none of them flashed with much of any playmaking or athletic ability. What I look for in true freshmen playing is not high level consistency, but flashes that can be zeroed in on with playing time and coaching. I didn’t see much of that kind of potential. Part of that is BYU is just really strong at positions that countered our weaknesses. But still, you’d expect some flashes from any of the young guys on D

Is it becoming a trend that teams are figuring out how to disrupt this offense?

BYU is not some defensive juggernaut.

It was embarrassing, but not sure why you guys expected different. Defensively we were down nearly every starter and additional guys from the 2 deep. I saw a guy named Powell getting toasted by one of the best QBs in football. Doubt that dude has ever played for UCF before in legitimate game action. BYU basically has a Cincy level defense with much better O. We aren’t LSU where we just roll 4 stars off the bench. We were down to walk ons.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I'm thankful for COVID...
Otherwise I would have spent my hard-earned money to go watch this embarrassment in person.
I've got a great sense of humor but I don't see it in this. I'd rather you spend your hard earned money on football than have covid killing people and f'n up the world.

It was embarrassing, but not sure why you guys expected different. Defensively we were down nearly every starter and additional guys from the 2 deep. I saw a guy named Powell getting toasted by one of the best QBs in football. Doubt that dude has ever played for UCF before in legitimate game action. BYU basically has a Cincy level defense with much better O. We aren’t LSU where we just roll 4 stars off the bench. We were down to walk ons.
He went to University High. Mostly STs guy so far.

One shocking admission by Heupel was that he “didn’t understand what they were doing structurally” on defense at the beginning of the game and it took them awhile to adjust. He always seems to be tricked by good D coordinators. To me it looked pretty similar to what we’ve seen... 3 down lineman but with a really well coached back end that didn’t allow any of our receivers to get open consistently. I thought the only advantage we had on BYU was speed but they certainly nullified that.

Reactions: Yaes and TinCanz
BYU scored a TD on 6 of their first 7 possessions. That's without their defense forcing a single turnover or ever having an extremely short field. Not just scoring, but scoring TDs on basically every possession. No offense in the country is going to keep up with that. It was the worst defensive performance I've ever seen and the worst I'd seen since the Memphis game this year. It looked a lot like the 2015 team performances (the team that quit on coaching - so take from that what you will).

One shocking admission by Heupel was that he “didn’t understand what they were doing structurally” on defense at the beginning of the game and it took them awhile to adjust. He always seems to be tricked by good D coordinators. To me it looked pretty similar to what we’ve seen... 3 down lineman but with a really well coached back end that didn’t allow any of our receivers to get open consistently. I thought the only advantage we had on BYU was speed but they certainly nullified that.

Maybe he's too genius to recognize it.....
Also very frustrating how DG seems to always look for the home run pass vs short check downs and the soft zones the defense gives. I'm not sure if that was play calling that puts primary focus on x/y routes or if DG is just being "young" and wanting to make something. The RB check down was consistently open with a 4-5 yard gain at the catch...

That post game interview was infuriating. Sloth is a pompous dick. He truly doesn’t know how to beat a 3-3-5. Pathetic. There was 0 accountability from sloth. He clearly doesn’t get why we lost.

Dummy White wants to cry poor this season because of COVID. What’s his excuse going to be next year when 80-100% of fans are let in, but no one shows up to games?

So because he’s a first time head coach he should get a blank check to destroy this program? Because recruiting sucks, on field sucks, off field sucks. Explain one good thing he’s done as a coach besides beat up horrific teams.
Regardless the sport, great players "rarely" make good head coaches and coordinators do not necessarily translate into head coaches either.

Well, Mr. Powell has been mostly a special teams player, but he will graduate with a degree in Electrical Engineering and congratulations to him. He's a great young man. I know his parents are proud of him.
Pretty sure you quoted wrong person. I was telling the other guy his background.

One shocking admission by Heupel was that he “didn’t understand what they were doing structurally on defense at the beginning of the game and it took them awhile to adjust." Did he actually say this? If he did, it's worse than I thought. I guess he's learning from RS

I saw #37 out there a few times. There is no #37 on the UCF official roster page.

I saw #37 out there a few times. There is no #37 on the UCF official roster page.
Was it Powell or someone else? My only guess is someone wanted a different number or 2 guys who normally have same number were on field at same time and had to switch numbers to be able to do that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT