ADVERTISEMENT

UCF vs cincy Game Thread ⚔️⚔️

Defense is a bigger problem than offense. Not saying our offense has ever seemed like it's humming under Gus but most offenses just need a capable QB to be at least good, and with tweaks and route/scheme adjustments for your current personnel (and a great QB) it can be great:

Total offense under Gus (includes 2024):
#38, #31, #42, #53

Points per game:
#51, #37, #39, #70

Total Defense (Yards/Game):
#54, #82, #89, #61

Turnover Margin:
#39, #82, #86, #101

3rd Down Defense:
#46, #82, #93, #128

Takeaways:
You would expect most "team" stats to drop some after moving from the AAC to the Big 12 (at least at first..we're in year 2 so that is not surprising). Almost every stat trending in the wrong direction. We can't stop anybody on defense and we are not good at causing turnovers. Result....what you see on the field and the record we have. I don't know how you can't self-assess and try to make moves/adjustments with all the resources you have. This is why you have "analysts" looking for strengths and weaknesses. It's a brutal business, and brutal decisions need to be made all the time. You're going to step on toes and you're going to hurt people's feelings. I give credit to O'Leary who almost always made changes after a season where we struggled in an area (not saying he always made great decisions when picking said personnel but he almost always made changes).

Last edited:
Reactions: Yaes
3 ugly wins and 3 ugly losses this season. ugh.

I'm getting ready to watch the game on DVR. Interesting perspective on the bad officiating comments. While I was watching the game in the stadium there were some head scratchers. Especially the pass interference call. I was in the south end zone for that and right in front of me. Real time I saw the Cinci guy push off the UCF defender...then the very late flag. I'm like of course they going to call it against Cinci but it was the opposite. Off to watch on DVR. Not gonna be fun I'm sure to relive that game but interested on the officiating play calling and seeing the play reviews. They don't show the play reviews on the stadium big screen very well. It's frustrating sitting there not knowing what is going on then a mysterous referee call that we can't hear because for some reason the stadium DJ feels the need to play music too loud. Just ranting here, ignore if want to.

I took 6 friends to the games. We had a good fun time and sat thru until the end. I saw an improved defense, except for 3rd downs. That #11 on Cinci team kept getting open in the middle of the field. Their Qb was impressive, quick release and accurate.
AND HOW REFRESHING to see new Quarterbacks for UCF. I probably would have left at half time if KJ was playing. That is a very frustrating situation. I feel sorry for him, and when he came out as a captain for the coin flip I was thinking the rumors of a new Qb were false.

I've decided to stay positive the rest of the season. It is just entertainment for us, not life and death, I still gotta a lot of hurricane debris clean up to do, so football was a nice distraction yesterday.

We got off to a shaky start thanks to TWO gift-wrapped fumbles--the second one was really tough. But the defense stepped up and held them to a FG.

I thought we'd have it once we tied the game up in the second half. This was a tough one to lose. But, in the end, we beat ourselves.

I just finished the first half on dvr. Yup, beat ourselves. The defense played great though. Refs weren’t all that bad. A few missed calls but it doesn’t appear nefarious.
Refs were iffy but it evened out. They made calls against them too that weren’t penalties. Not even close to why we lost. Just aren’t good on offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT