ADVERTISEMENT

UCF vs the Heifers thread

We need to start MM next year. Even though he does well against losing teams, DG doesn't make good decisions against good teams or under pressure even against bad teams.

i'll just point out that it's not just heupel why we are poor in close games. gabriel is a front runner.

DG totally lacks the killer instinct. The losses after big leads all season are the big clue to his major deficiency. He would benefit immensely by watching KZ for one year.

How the fcuk is this Gabriel's fault?? He only has 5 total TD's. Enough with Milton man, geez...
Our fans have no sense of context

give DG SF 2017 playcalling and Tre Smith, Gabe Davis, and Snelson as WRs 1-3 and the outside down the field blocking . KZ would not go undefeated with this roster and the Heup stink Year 3

Reactions: mattropolis
We need to start MM next year. Even though he does well against losing teams, DG doesn't make good decisions against good teams or under pressure even against bad teams.
you do know theres life after MM right and you will eventually have to figure things out without him, five years from now when we have a whole new team you're going to be here saying "he's struggling, start MM"

Our fans have no sense of context

give DG SF 2017 playcalling and Tre Smith, Gabe Davis, and Snelson as WRs 1-3 and the outside down the field blocking . KZ would not go undefeated with this roster
KZ would have mounted the same 2 touchdown leads in the games we lost in the last two seasons. The difference is that KZ knows how to close the deal.
We should put Milton in.
Milton is not ready this year. But it seems he certainly will be ready to play at a high level next year.

KZ would have mounted the same 2 touchdown leads in the games we lost in the last two seasons. The difference is that KZ does not allow the

Milton is not ready this year. But it seems he certainly will be ready to play at a high level next year.
You’re rewarded. Milton said he’s not ready. He may never play again.

Much like 2019 Tulsa game, this may be the catalyst USF needed to put together a team. I suppose the postive is that Heupel likes to raise up the conference.

KZ would have mounted the same 2 touchdown leads in the games we lost in the last two seasons. The difference is that KZ knows how to close the deal.

Keep chasing ghosts man. You don’t bench a Top 5 QB who has stayed healthy his entire development

Reactions: ReturnOf
Keep chasing ghosts man. You don’t bench a Top 5 QB who has stayed healthy his entire development
Really? Now Dame benched
Top five purely based upon his performance against bottom feeders. In two years he has not between either Cincy, Memphis or Tulsa. He has shown time after time that he cracks under pressure by talking unnecessary sacks, throwing into double coverage, under throwing wide open down field receivers and throwing away opportunities in the red zone and inability to properly determine when to step up in the pocket or leave the pocket. Yes he will continue to have great statistics based upon performance against bottom feeders. If we want to beat QUALITY TEAMS in 2021 we will play MM if he is healthy and let DG LEARN how to beat QUALITY TEAMS. The problem is that DG did not red shirt like he should in his first year and has learned bad habits, even though they only cost him against quality opponents. Keep starting him and we will lose against good opponents next year again. Mark my words.

Reactions: hendu1976fl
Really? Now Dame benched

Top five purely based upon his performance against bottom feeders. In two years he has not between either Cincy, Memphis or Tulsa. He has shown time after time that he cracks under pressure by talking unnecessary sacks, throwing into double coverage, under throwing wide open down field receivers and throwing away opportunities in the red zone and inability to properly determine when to step up in the pocket or leave the pocket. Yes he will continue to have great statistics based upon performance against bottom feeders. If we want to beat QUALITY TEAMS in 2021 we will play MM if he is healthy and let DG LEARN how to beat QUALITY TEAMS. The problem is that DG did not red shirt like he should in his first year and has learned bad habits, even though they only cost him against quality opponents. Keep starting him and we will lose against good opponents next year again. Mark my words.
DG starting at a Power 5 Top 20 Program next year is more likely than this scenario

Really? Now Dame benched

What are you drinking. And where did you get it? Gotta try that stuff.

Reactions: Endeavor.
I don't think team wants to be paired up with Liberty.
I think that is the best football team we could play, but it will be more “impressive” to beat a subpar P5 club, at least for the victory helmet page.

I think that is the best football team we could play, but it will be more “impressive” to beat a subpar P5 club, at least for the victory helmet page.

They won't beat Liberty with the performance they just had. Liberty will be battle tested and ready unless Hugh Freeze likely departure throws them off. They have a solid running QB, big physical running backs. They will put up points, lots of them.

Really? Now Dame benched

I like DG, but I think you hit several nails on the head.
First, DG underthrows a lot of guys who are wide open on the deep ball. We still pick up 40 yards, but it could have been a 65 yd TD if not underthrown. It seems like his deep balls are either underthrown giving the DB time to catch up and make a tackle or just a bit overthrown. Maybe in year 3 we will get more consistency. And I'm not trying to pile on DG, kid plays hard. I don't think he has the pocket presence or the ability to escape like MM had. I don't know if MM will get back to the level he had gotten to. He might be a half step slower since the injury (which would be completely understandable).

On an unrelated topic, crossing routes or underneath routes. Under Frost (not saying we need to bring him back) we challenged the D on every level of the field. It just doesn't seem like we ever hit receivers coming underneath. It's throw it deep or a WR screen on the perimeter. IMHO, it just doesn't seem like we make the D cover the entire field. I think we have one of the best WR corps in the nation (they drop a few balls, but they can all make plays). I guess what I'm trying to say is the play call determines the success of the play, not the player. Let Marlon or O'Keefe catch a pass underneath and then be the athlete they are. With our WR's, this offense should be more productive than it already is (Most yards per game in the country).

As far as the D, you can't hang Tulsa on the D. Offense didn't do much in that game, even when handed great opportunities. Memphis I do put on the defense. Cincy, I thought the D hung in there when the O didn't give them much support for large portions of the game. I reference Cincy because at that point we were playing with 4 more starters/major contributors kicked off the team. As a head coach you need to understand your team, not just the offense. You know you are shorthanded on D. Running 3 plays and then punting as fast as you can doesn't help the team. Maybe its what you want to do on offense, but you need to look at the entire game as a head coach. You are responsible for both sides of the ball. Maybe there is a time to go fast and a time to slow it down. Again, I'm not saying bring Frost back, but he (and I disagreed with a lot of his game time decisions, and even a couple of times I was right, joking) he understood there was a time to go fast and a time to slow it down because the D needed an extra minute or two to catch their breath.

But for except a possible bowl, the season is over. Now is a time to evaluate what we have coming back (coaches included). Hopefully the coaching staff can self evaluate and see where they can improve. Honestly, I feel the talent is capable of being in a NY6. But I believe the coaching and play calling needs to develop

I like DG, but I think you hit several nails on the head.
First, DG underthrows a lot of guys who are wide open on the deep ball. We still pick up 40 yards, but it could have been a 65 yd TD if not underthrown. It seems like his deep balls are either underthrown giving the DB time to catch up and make a tackle or just a bit overthrown. Maybe in year 3 we will get more consistency. And I'm not trying to pile on DG, kid plays hard. I don't think he has the pocket presence or the ability to escape like MM had. I don't know if MM will get back to the level he had gotten to. He might be a half step slower since the injury (which would be completely understandable).

On an unrelated topic, crossing routes or underneath routes. Under Frost (not saying we need to bring him back) we challenged the D on every level of the field. It just doesn't seem like we ever hit receivers coming underneath. It's throw it deep or a WR screen on the perimeter. IMHO, it just doesn't seem like we make the D cover the entire field. I think we have one of the best WR corps in the nation (they drop a few balls, but they can all make plays). I guess what I'm trying to say is the play call determines the success of the play, not the player. Let Marlon or O'Keefe catch a pass underneath and then be the athlete they are. With our WR's, this offense should be more productive than it already is (Most yards per game in the country).

As far as the D, you can't hang Tulsa on the D. Offense didn't do much in that game, even when handed great opportunities. Memphis I do put on the defense. Cincy, I thought the D hung in there when the O didn't give them much support for large portions of the game. I reference Cincy because at that point we were playing with 4 more starters/major contributors kicked off the team. As a head coach you need to understand your team, not just the offense. You know you are shorthanded on D. Running 3 plays and then punting as fast as you can doesn't help the team. Maybe its what you want to do on offense, but you need to look at the entire game as a head coach. You are responsible for both sides of the ball. Maybe there is a time to go fast and a time to slow it down. Again, I'm not saying bring Frost back, but he (and I disagreed with a lot of his game time decisions, and even a couple of times I was right, joking) he underst[sick][sick]:chairshot:ood there was a time to go fast and a time to slow it down because the D needed an extra minute or two to catch their breath.

But for except a possible bowl, the season is over. Now is a time to evaluate what we have coming back (coaches included). Hopefully the coaching staff can self evaluate and see where they can improve. Honestly, I feel the talent is capable of being in a NY6. But I believe the coaching and play calling needs to develop
Both you and Knightlife 1 should take a long walk on a short pier..:chairshot:[sick]

Reactions: RunawayKnight
On a lighter note we evened the series and put up the most points usf has ever allowed in their history. Small consolation I know. Shannon’s gotta go. Defensively we have taken a major step back.

Reactions: RunawayKnight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT