ADVERTISEMENT

UCF vs the Heifers thread

What I said before this game absolutely Heup could have lost this game and really tried... USF will be beating us in a year or 2, If we keep Heup. Usf has already almost caught up in recruiting and their up-and-coming coach is the type of coach players want to play for. PLayers don't want to play for Heup.

Go ahead name one big recruit we've hit on this year..Wait we have to wait 5 years to decide, by that time heup will have run this program to the ground.

I like DG, but I think you hit several nails on the head.
First, DG underthrows a lot of guys who are wide open on the deep ball. We still pick up 40 yards, but it could have been a 65 yd TD if not underthrown. It seems like his deep balls are either underthrown giving the DB time to catch up and make a tackle or just a bit overthrown. Maybe in year 3 we will get more consistency. And I'm not trying to pile on DG, kid plays hard. I don't think he has the pocket presence or the ability to escape like MM had. I don't know if MM will get back to the level he had gotten to. He might be a half step slower since the injury (which would be completely understandable).

On an unrelated topic, crossing routes or underneath routes. Under Frost (not saying we need to bring him back) we challenged the D on every level of the field. It just doesn't seem like we ever hit receivers coming underneath. It's throw it deep or a WR screen on the perimeter. IMHO, it just doesn't seem like we make the D cover the entire field. I think we have one of the best WR corps in the nation (they drop a few balls, but they can all make plays). I guess what I'm trying to say is the play call determines the success of the play, not the player. Let Marlon or O'Keefe catch a pass underneath and then be the athlete they are. With our WR's, this offense should be more productive than it already is (Most yards per game in the country).

As far as the D, you can't hang Tulsa on the D. Offense didn't do much in that game, even when handed great opportunities. Memphis I do put on the defense. Cincy, I thought the D hung in there when the O didn't give them much support for large portions of the game. I reference Cincy because at that point we were playing with 4 more starters/major contributors kicked off the team. As a head coach you need to understand your team, not just the offense. You know you are shorthanded on D. Running 3 plays and then punting as fast as you can doesn't help the team. Maybe its what you want to do on offense, but you need to look at the entire game as a head coach. You are responsible for both sides of the ball. Maybe there is a time to go fast and a time to slow it down. Again, I'm not saying bring Frost back, but he (and I disagreed with a lot of his game time decisions, and even a couple of times I was right, joking) he understood there was a time to go fast and a time to slow it down because the D needed an extra minute or two to catch their breath.

But for except a possible bowl, the season is over. Now is a time to evaluate what we have coming back (coaches included). Hopefully the coaching staff can self evaluate and see where they can improve. Honestly, I feel the talent is capable of being in a NY6. But I believe the coaching and play calling needs to develop
Frost left. We had to find a new coach. Heup's done a great job. We could have done a lot worse. Only Bama, Ohio State and Clemson get to plug holes constantly with 4/5 star talent. Everybody else has ups and downs. Ask Michigan, Penn State, Oregon, Georgia, Oklahoma, Texas, Iowa, or Auburn if they are having up or down seasons.

I like DG a lot, kid's been great. I blame the D for those our losses not him. That said, agreed with some of the stuff about killer instincts. However I love KZ. Kid was the read deal, best Knight in my book. I REALLY hope Heup is sincere with him in the off season and tells him whether he has a chance at starting or ever playing. I don't see it happening and would it even be fair to DG? If that's the case, KZ needs to transfer and play somewhere else. I hope he can play in Nebraska but if not there, anywhere else. Kid deserves a real last chance, not run a practice squad or be a graduate coach.

Mine was reality.
bro you better hope MM doesn't have to play because its going to ruin the fantasy land you've created in your imagination. MM will come back and be the superhero who runs and jumps over linemen into the endzone "flying Hawaiian style", crush all the opponents and lead the Knights into a NY6 beatdown of the Georgia Bulldogs. It will break you're heart to see a rusty KZ, because he WILL be rusty after not playing meaningful snap for 2 years after major life altering injury. He will not be taking off and dancing all over defenders and might even be hesitant to make some of the incredible and risky plays he used to make. He will make mistakes, he will fall short of this omnipotent team fixing steroid man that you are trying to sell. The fact that MM is still rehabbing is the only thing protecting your illusion because if he steps out there and looks actually human, you will look really bogus for trying to tear down DG with unrealistic expectations. Even KZ couldn't live up to the KZ you currently have in your mind.

Last edited:
What I said before this game absolutely Heup could have lost this game and really tried... USF will be beating us in a year or 2, If we keep Heup. Usf has already almost caught up in recruiting and their up-and-coming coach is the type of coach players want to play for. PLayers don't want to play for Heup.

Go ahead name one big recruit we've hit on this year..Wait we have to wait 5 years to decide, by that time heup will have run this program to the ground.
Shannon seems to be a lame duck and not really recruiting.

What is the official end date of his contract? How much longer must we endure? He truly is dead weight now, and early signing day is 18 days away...
Should be in January. Was a 3 year deal and I don’t think he signed an extension.

Should be in January. Was a 3 year deal and I don’t think he signed an extension.
That is really unfortunate. "Hopefully", NCAA extended dead period (Covid) will mean more recruits wait till Feb to sign, and maybe a new DC can pick up another/better player or two.

bro you better hope MM doesn't have to play because its going to ruin the fantasy land you've created in your imagination. MM will come back and be the superhero who runs and jumps over linemen into the endzone "flying Hawaiian style", crush all the opponents and lead the Knights into a NY6 beatdown of the Georgia Bulldogs. It will break you're heart to see a rusty KZ, because he WILL be rusty after not playing meaningful snap for 2 years after major life altering injury. He will not be taking off and dancing all over defenders and might even be hesitant to make some of the incredible and risky plays he used to make. He will make mistakes, he will fall short of this omnipotent team fixing steroid man that you are trying to sell. The fact that MM is still rehabbing is the only thing protecting your illusion because if he steps out there and looks actually human, you will look really bogus for trying to tear down DG with unrealistic expectations. Even KZ couldn't live up to the KZ you currently have in your mind.
And many forget he never played a full 12 game season without any injury issues. Before the big injury he was constantly battling ankle and shoulder injuries & Hurricane cancellations saved him from missing even more games

That is really unfortunate. "Hopefully", NCAA extended dead period (Covid) will mean more recruits wait till Feb to sign, and maybe a new DC can pick up another/better player or two.
He needs to go right after Bowl Game. Hopefully Heupel already has made some calls.

What is the official end date of his contract? How much longer must we endure? He truly is dead weight now, and early signing day is 18 days away...
Who do you want to get? Last bright idea you had was the current coach at Georgia Tech. Who Heupel obliterated this year.

Who do you want to get? Last bright idea you had was the current coach at Georgia Tech. Who Heupel obliterated this year.
Collins improved Temple over two years from which they have recently regressed without him. He has previously been DC at multiple SEC schools. His defenses at UCF yielded to about half the YPG of UCF this year (and most of AAC 2020 was C-USA in 2008-09).

I thought Collins could succeed as head coach at UCF, indeed I did. I didn't bring up 3-5 year old fan-posts; I do bring up 2-3 year old team performance when others assert that we are not slipping.

Collins improved Temple over two years from which they have recently regressed without him. He has previously been DC at multiple SEC schools. His defenses at UCF yielded to about half the YPG of UCF this year (and most of AAC 2020 was C-USA in 2008-09).

I thought Collins could succeed as head coach at UCF, indeed I did. I didn't bring up 3-5 year old fan-posts; I do bring up 2-3 year old team performance when others assert that we are not slipping.
Who do you want to get?

This is one of the most ignorant posts ever posted. So now the bar for Huepel is whether any recruit from the current recruiting class is already a star....on paper but not on the field. For reference, I looked at Bama's 2020 recruiting class and right now two of their 2020 class are starters. Does that mean the rest are a bust and they should just move on from them?

I mean, I don't know how you assess hitting on recruits until you see how they actually pan out.

A couple of days ago I was looking at FSU's recruiting the last 3-4 years and noticing how many of these "hits on paper" are not listed in the current 2-deep, or even on the team anymore. In 2019 FSU got a 5-star DB named Akeem Dent. According to you that was a grand slam on paper. He played in 8 games in 2019 and had 33 tackles. Is that a hit or a miss for you? In 2020 he's only played in 4 games and had 7 tackles. He currently is now a backup, behind a redshirt freshman. Is that a hot or miss for you? According to you, though, that is a home run signee even though he has probably been average at best on the field and has now regressed and is a backup. My point is, again, he's got 2-3 more years left and who knows how he ends up.

Here's a list for 2020 on instant success. You may view these as failures. I see kids that won starting positions and have a lot of upside. Do we know how much or how little....no, we do not know. BTW, recruiting now includes the transfer portal:
Celiscar...playing very well for a true freshman.
Thorton...has played all season I think. Seems like that's a successful recruit in my book.
There's a QB (Parker Navarro) that we won't know about until Gabriel leaves or gets hurt.
Lot's of other kids look promising in limited time but who knows until they work themselves on to the field.

Whether these guys get better or worse is due to 100 factors and none of us have a crystal ball to know how it will work out.

2019 "hits":
Dillon Gabriel
Matt Lee (Most likely our center for the next 3 seasons). According to you, though, he's a bust because he redshirted.
Jaylon Robinson

Reactions: ReturnOf

Collins is a bust as a head coach so far:
2017 - Temple - 7-6; 4-4 in conference (He inherited a 10-4 (7-1) team)
2018 - Temple - 8-4; He did make them better in conference at 7-1 but ultimately he is a failure, just as the same measuring stick is used for Heupel, because he failed to win or play for a conference title. He won the moral victory...yahhh!
2019 - GaTech - 3-9 (2-6) (he inherited an average 7-6 (5-3) squad). He's the one that decided to change the way they play football....not any of us.
2020 - GaTech - 2-5 (2-4). Heupel ate his lunch head-to-head. Not seeing any improvement.
I guess we'll just wait for next season to see if it improves...

We totally switched our system in 2 years and even in year one we went 6-7 before really taking off.

Also don’t let facts get in the way. Temple won 10 games in Matt Ruhle’s final season and in the season before that. Then Collins went 7-6 and 8-5. Last year they also went 8-5. He took over an average GT team that has been terrible since he arrived. He’s a bust.

Collins?? Really, this is who you came up with? “Come on man”

Reactions: hemightbejeremy
This is one of the most ignorant posts ever posted. So now the bar for Huepel is whether any recruit from the current recruiting class is already a star....on paper but not on the field. For reference, I looked at Bama's 2020 recruiting class and right now two of their 2020 class are starters. Does that mean the rest are a bust and they should just move on from them?

I mean, I don't know how you assess hitting on recruits until you see how they actually pan out.

A couple of days ago I was looking at FSU's recruiting the last 3-4 years and noticing how many of these "hits on paper" are not listed in the current 2-deep, or even on the team anymore. In 2019 FSU got a 5-star DB named Akeem Dent. According to you that was a grand slam on paper. He played in 8 games in 2019 and had 33 tackles. Is that a hit or a miss for you? In 2020 he's only played in 4 games and had 7 tackles. He currently is now a backup, behind a redshirt freshman. Is that a hot or miss for you? According to you, though, that is a home run signee even though he has probably been average at best on the field and has now regressed and is a backup. My point is, again, he's got 2-3 more years left and who knows how he ends up.

Here's a list for 2020 on instant success. You may view these as failures. I see kids that won starting positions and have a lot of upside. Do we know how much or how little....no, we do not know. BTW, recruiting now includes the transfer portal:
Celiscar...playing very well for a true freshman.
Thorton...has played all season I think. Seems like that's a successful recruit in my book.
There's a QB (Parker Navarro) that we won't know about until Gabriel leaves or gets hurt.
Lot's of other kids look promising in limited time but who knows until they work themselves on to the field.

Whether these guys get better or worse is due to 100 factors and none of us have a crystal ball to know how it will work out.

2019 "hits":
Dillon Gabriel
Matt Lee (Most likely our center for the next 3 seasons). According to you, though, he's a bust because he redshirted.
Jaylon Robinson
Some of our best players were not high rated. Bortles, Smith and Miller did not have impressive offer lists. All time greats at positions for us. If Bortles plays 1 more year he pads the stats more. But 1st round pick is the better option.

I like DG a lot, kid's been great. I blame the D for those our losses not him. That said, agreed with some of the stuff about killer instincts. However I love KZ. Kid was the read deal, best Knight in my book. I REALLY hope Heup is sincere with him in the off season and tells him whether he has a chance at starting or ever playing. I don't see it happening and would it even be fair to DG? If that's the case, KZ needs to transfer and play somewhere else. I hope he can play in Nebraska but if not there, anywhere else. Kid deserves a real last chance, not run a practice squad or be a graduate coach.
You realize that you are trying to elevate a guy who loses three games a year above a QB who went two regular seasons undefeated right? You think DG is the better option to BEAT QUALITY TEAMS? Maybe you are the one in fantasy land.
You realize that you are trying to elevate a guy who loses three games a year above a QB who went two regular seasons undefeated right? You think DG is the better option to BEAT QUALITY TEAMS? Maybe you are the one in fantasy land.

You forgetting his Freshman year when he lost 6 or 7 games and the following 2 years he didn’t play in every game. Other QBs started those 2 years and won. Defense was a tad better.

You forgetting his Freshman year when he lost 6 or 7 games and the following 2 years he didn’t play in every game. Other QBs started those 2 years and won. Defense was a tad better.
I did not forget his freshman year period. For both quarterbacks, I am referencing the highest level of what they have shown on the field. MM started ALL games of both regular seasons in which we went undefeated. He was injured in the last game of the undefeated REGULAR season. We were winning when he left the game and certainly he would not have relinquished that lead against the cows.

The difference in our defense is not the variable. MM led an offensive production that did get careless and fail to get first downs after getting up by two touchdowns or more. He played like he realized that, even with a two touchdown lead, going three and out would put a tired D right back on the field in bad field position and ultimately put the opponent back in the game.

With DG, after we go up by over two touchdowns, we are seeing way too many three and outs. That is not caused by our defense. However, It is negatively affecting our defense in that they are being required to go back on the field tired and in bad field position.

FWIW in 2017, not including end of half or drives that ended in turnover, we went 3 and out (3 plays and punt/fg or 4 plays and turnover on downs) 29 of 146 drives (19.9%). In 2020 we went 3 and out 20 of 110 drives (18.2%).

Reactions: mattropolis
I did not forget his freshman year period. For both quarterbacks, I am referencing the highest level of what they have shown on the field. MM started ALL games of both regular seasons in which we went undefeated. He was injured in the last game of the undefeated REGULAR season. We were winning when he left the game and certainly he would not have relinquished that lead against the cows.

The difference in our defense is not the variable. MM led an offensive production that did get careless and fail to get first downs after getting up by two touchdowns or more. He played like he realized that, even with a two touchdown lead, going three and out would put a tired D right back on the field in bad field position and ultimately put the opponent back in the game.

With DG, after we go up by over two touchdowns, we are seeing way too many three and outs. That is not caused by our defense. However, It is negatively affecting our defense in that they are being required to go back on the field tired and in bad field position.
Pretty sure Mack started against ECU in regular season.

tenor.gif

If I’m in fantasy land then your blind for ignoring the numbers he puts up and not going after the horrendous defense he’s been with for the last few years. Hell Milton even had the Shaq bros. I guess you also blame DG for putting up 49 points against Memphis and missing a wide open field goal to win the game? And when did I ever elevate DG over KZ?! I said KZ’s the best Knight we’ve ever had and that I hope Heup would just be honest with him about starting next year or not! Go to the doctor man, you’re blind.

If I’m in fantasy land then your blind for ignoring the numbers he puts up and not going after the horrendous defense he’s been with for the last few years. Hell Milton even had the Shaq bros. I guess you also blame DG for putting up 49 points against Memphis and missing a wide open field goal to win the game? And when did I ever elevate DG over KZ?! I said KZ’s the best Knight we’ve ever had and that I hope Heup would just be honest with him about starting next year or not! Go to the doctor man, you’re blind.
We have both stated our positions. We can agree to disagree. MM has announced his departure, so obviously the decision seems to be decided by the program and MM anyway. You will get your wish.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT