ADVERTISEMENT

Unlikely Edge

KnightVision82

Diamond Knight
Jan 26, 2004
According to OS both Moore and Milton are on campus working daily with the trainers and getting into top shape. If the team doesn't open up camp until late July, then these two players will have an definite edge as they step into camp over ALL other players. I wonder if they are doing film study as well. Never say never for both of these players who suffered knee dislocation injuries. Sooner or later you have to test the strength of your injury area after an injury. Moore will be ready and so might KZ. If they are both sharp in camp early, they both will get a really good look at by the coaches.

Note: We saw the picture of KZ's knee over 1 week ago and it looked like a knee model's knee :)

I saw KZ and Bam are in the weight room together. Mama Milton says KZ is is running and doing squats without pain. I also wonder what else they're doing. No doubt being productive. Probably also getting good rest.

Reactions: Endeavor.
If he is cutting by end of July (3 months out), look out. His ability to read the defenses quickly and his ability to complete passes all across the field is his edge.

DG was NOT as good at getting the ball to all the different passing zones as KZ. DG threw a nice arc pass down the sidelines or long ball down the middle of the field. He misses some of those middle areas that KZ was better at finding open receivers. DG threw a nice pass to the sidelines.

DG was phenomenal to do all he did as a freshmen but a healthy KZ has the edge even if KZ runs less past the line of scrimmage. Running for the sidelines and 5 yards and a slide keeps the chains moving. DG would learn more from watching KZ from the sidelines and coming in for cleanup duty this year. This downtime might give KZ an unlikely edge.

Last edited:
How big would a KZ comeback story be? Want to talk about publicity. With DG and DM as backups. DW would be drooling

I'm not being a debbie downer but one good hit on KZ's knee and he could lose it. I wish/hope I am wrong. Thoughts? :)
My guess is that he is well aware of the risks. The strength of the knee is in the leg muscles. I am by no means an ortho I can only go by my own blown out knee and what I learned. If the leg is strong the knee is strong. I have played soccer for more than 25 years since blowing out my knee. No brace. It will depend on the nature of the hit. I think the chances of getting hit the same way are pretty slim but who knows. All I know is that you don't rehab like that only to decide not to play.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I could easily see a scenario where UCF uses 3 QBs next season.

1. KZ in a limited role at worst (up to 4 games eligibility);
2. DG in a meaningful role whether he's the starter or not;
3. Mack as red-zone run/pass threat if our OL is playing well we should take
advantage of his body strength and ability to get it into the endzone to mix it up.

That would be using the QB room well. There would be two others not used at
game time but let them be scout QBs.

-Football season starts in the spring.
-DG can't play for some undetermined reason.
-KZ takes over as starter
-DG returns to campus in Fall 2021.

-Football season starts in the spring.
-DG can't play for some undetermined reason.
-KZ takes over as starter
-DG returns to campus in Fall 2021.
I kind of feel for DG in that situation but I've never given up hoping to see KZ start for us again. Going to side with that guy over everyone right now. DG is still the future-future for sure.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
I kind of feel for DG in that situation but I've never given up hoping to see KZ start for us again. Going to side with that guy over everyone right now. DG is still the future-future for sure.
DG gets pregnant in Hawaii and sits out one season?
If any two QBs can get along and work things out it's DG and KZ if KZ starts this season.
Otherwise KZ transfers to Nebraska for last season in 2021...just kidding.

DG gets pregnant in Hawaii and sits out one season?
If any two QBs can get along and work things out it's DG and KZ if KZ starts this season.
Otherwise KZ transfers to Nebraska for last season in 2021...just kidding.
Not sure about pregnancy but I fully agree they can get along.

I don’t know if this is just blind optimism on my part, but I feel like Kz playing is the one situation where DG or Mack would not be mad if they weren’t starting. Their connections are super tight and they’d both be happy to see him play again.

(I know this is putting the cart way before the horse as far as KZ’s health goes)

I don’t know if this is just blind optimism on my part, but I feel like Kz playing is the one situation where DG or Mack would not be mad if they weren’t starting. Their connections are super tight and they’d both be happy to see him play again.

(I know this is putting the cart way before the horse as far as KZ’s health goes)
Those 3 are super tight and would be a three headed QB monster this season if they were all available. Personally, if I was in KZs shoes I'd be itching to play this season and move forward with my life after sitting out last season.

Reactions: Wings0fred
If he is cutting by end of July (3 months out), look out. His ability to read the defenses quickly and his ability to complete passes all across the field is his edge.

DG was NOT as good at getting the ball to all the different passing zones as KZ. DG threw a nice arc pass down the sidelines or long ball down the middle of the field. He misses some of those middle areas that KZ was better at finding open receivers. DG threw a nice pass to the sidelines.

DG was phenomenal to do all he did as a freshmen but a healthy KZ has the edge even if KZ runs less past the line of scrimmage. Running for the sidelines and 5 yards and a slide keeps the chains moving. DG would learn more from watching KZ from the sidelines and coming in for cleanup duty this year. This downtime might give KZ an unlikely edge.
I wish this argument would end already.

As much as I love what KZ has done for this program, this is Dillon Gabriel's team moving forward PERIOD.

Your comparison is flawed. If your comparing freshman years, KZ did not have these "read defense traits quickly" in his freshman year (10 TD's and 7 INT's with 55% Comp %), it took him until his sophomore year. Plus, he's not going to be match fit and passing for 400 yards and 5 touchdowns on his first game back...

Coming in for mop up duty after throwing for almost 30 TD's during your freshman year?? That should do wonders for Gabriel's confidence...
Gabriel's last game against Marshall (without Gabe Davis throwing deep to) should be a great indicator. Remember that 4th and 7 play where Marshall brought all out LB blitz? DG calmly found Ottis on that screen pass for a TD!!

Guys, start thinking of the long term strategy for the program. It's not worth 1 year of "what if" vs 3 more years of continuing ascension towards greatness!!

Reactions: hemightbejeremy

As much as I love what KZ has done for this program, this is Dillon Gabriel's team moving forward PERIOD.

Your comparison is flawed. If your comparing freshman years, KZ did not have these "read defense traits quickly" in his freshman year (10 TD's and 7 INT's with 55% Comp %), it took him until his sophomore year. Plus, he's not going to be match fit and passing for 400 yards and 5 touchdowns on his first game back...

Coming in for mop up duty after throwing for almost 30 TD's during your freshman year?? That should do wonders for Gabriel's confidence...
Gabriel's last game against Marshall (without Gabe Davis throwing deep to) should be a great indicator. Remember that 4th and 7 play where Marshall brought all out LB blitz? DG calmly found Ottis on that screen pass for a TD!!

Guys, start thinking of the long term strategy for the program. It's not worth 1 year of "what if" vs 3 more years of continuing ascension towards greatness!!
KZ brudder!

Everyone wants the feel good story. Somehow Milton and Gabriel push eachother like Creed and Rocky, and Mack clapping and cheering for them. Mack will be ok again barely playing and Gabriel will be willing to stop his progression as the team leader. It just all sounds like a fantasy.

Milton doesn't have enough time to be ready for UNC given teams won't actually all practice till August at best, and who ever starts that game and if they play well should remain the starter for the season.

Last edited:

You are probably right in terms of having our QB of the future, but it will also depend on how much he matures in the offseason. If he learns like KZ did not sure anyone will touch him. If he ends up like Godfry then you never know. Plus we have an unknown in Navvaro. All said though, if KZ gets on the field it will be a story to elevate UCF into the headlines once again.

Reactions: shacket
Everyone wants the feel good story. Somehow Milton and Gabriel push eachother like Creed and Rocky, and Mack clapping and cheering for them. Mack will be ok again barely playing and Gabriel will be willing to stop his progression as the team leader. It just all sounds like a fantasy.

Milton doesn't have enough time to be ready for UNC given teams won't actually all practice till August at best, and who ever starts that game and if they play well should remain the starter for the season.
Who says he has to be ready the first game of the season? We have a couple of non-conference games in September that could go either way. If we lose it could be time for a switch at end of September. Nice to possibly have that option too. I haven't seen DG win the big games yet so I'm not as sold out as you on his abilities yet.

I agree with everyone that DG is the QB of the future right now but those stories do fall apart sometimes. I'm glad KZ is progressing and we bring back Mack and Quad, plus Navarro.

Reactions: shacket
Who says he has to be ready the first game of the season? We have a couple of non-conference games in September that could go either way. If we lose it could be time for a switch at end of September. Nice to possibly have that option too. I haven't seen DG win the big games yet so I'm not as sold out as you on his abilities yet.
Seems to me Stanford was a pretty big game. And he completely dominated that day

Reactions: shacket and ahabmw
Seems to me Stanford was a pretty big game. And he completely dominated that day
He didn't dominate during away games though. Also, he had a lot of straight line long balls to Davis. Many of his TD passes were these long ones to Davis. We are definitely going to need more from the QB position this year to go further no matter who starts. Getting to 11 or 12 wins is going to require better QBing.

He didn't dominate during away games though. Also, he had a lot of straight line long balls to Davis. Many of his TD passes were these long ones to Davis. We are definitely going to need more from the QB position this year to go further no matter who starts. Getting to 11 or 12 wins is going to require better QBing.
Maybe. Although we were really only 1 dropped pass, 1 defensive turnover, I coverage that wasn't busted, etc. away from winning in the 3 games we lost.

It can't all be the QB's fault. Our defensive turnovers went considerably down last year and that hurt us. You could argue that DG played well enough last year to go 12-1 or 13-0. I do agree I want to see him progress though and he had some not great games.

I agree with both sides of this issue. Anybody on the team could have made the one game changing play in those three games to change the outcome. One better pass, route, or tackle. Actually, being able to handle a 3-3 front would have taken us all the way to the CCG. How about the penalties? Jfc. After the Tulsa game I think I read we were top 10 in penalties. Lots of talent and skill but discipline was on the low end. No doubt there's been plenty of time to bring this up in practice and meetings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT