ADVERTISEMENT

USF AD Mark Harlan leaving to take Utah AD job

How can we argue with Nebraska fans and tell them we were successful before Frost and then change argument to Danny White making us successful? Talking out both sides of mouth.
I’m not saying we were successful at 0-12 and all that incredible before. Additionally it took GOL years what Danny White who hired Frost did in 2. He hired him. The whole system changed so quickly. Nobraska got a good overall coach. Never said he wasn’t

I think you’re missing the point and not looking at the big picture.

Danny White thinks big and all his predecessors think in smaller terms

Reactions: JAFFX2
You don’t think Facebook, Google and Apple employees get paid more now than say 10 years ago?
I'm sure they do get paid more following their success and that's why we'll end up paying DW more in the future.

Do you think Google and Apple became what they are today by haggling over salary with their executive hires?

If we want the best we have to pay like we're the best. The P5/G5 divide is a kind of bogus setup where we have to fairly compete against schools that have a huge financial advantage over us. UCF will not get the recruits, facilities, or coaches "P5" programs have but we can afford to compete against P5 schools at the AD position.

The alternative is to pay him less which guarantees he will leave at around the same time Heup leaves. Then who do we hire for both positions? With DW here I'm confident we'll get the best coach possible after Heup leaves.

How can we argue with Nebraska fans and tell them we were successful before Frost and then change argument to Danny White making us successful? Talking out both sides of mouth.
Maybe I am deluding myself, but I think DW has helped position UCF for broader (beyond football) and more consistent/sustained athletic success than UCF has previously experienced. As we all know, UCF's AD is presently constrained by not being P5. Yes, UCF is growing in prominence academically and reputationally across the spectrum (Thank you, John Hitt), but I think football (and other sports) are moving in right direction under DW. It sucked losing Frost, but it was expected (just not this soon, but that quickness was a result of fast success). I also think it will suck if/when we lose DW.

I’m not saying we were successful at 0-12 and all that incredible before. Additionally it took GOL years what Danny White who hired Frost did in 2. He hired him. The whole system changed so quickly. Nobraska got a good overall coach. Never said he wasn’t

I think you’re missing the point and not looking at the big picture.

Danny White thinks big and all his predecessors think in smaller terms
My only point is we have to be getting into Big Boy Table which is the Big Picture.

Look... if we don’t pay the guy and show him the appreciation he deserves for his accomplishments, then he’s certainly gone sooner than later

If we pay him 16th in the country, then that likelihood significantly drops

Anyone willing to take those odds, please step forward

Sometimes these arguments get more in-depth than they need to be.

Will we be getting into the P5?? Who knows, but I rather have DW be in charge right now over ANYONE ELSE

Maybe I am deluding myself, but I think DW has helped position UCF for broader (beyond football) and more consistent/sustained athletic success than UCF has previously experienced. As we all know, UCF's AD is presently constrained by not being P5. Yes, UCF is growing in prominence academically and reputationally across the spectrum (Thank you, John Hitt), but I think football (and other sports) are moving in right direction under DW. It sucked losing Frost, but it was expected (just not this soon, but that quickness was a result of fast success). I also think it will suck if/when we lose DW.
Lose DW and JH or we lose DW and JH disappoints and we go back to the Stone Age. Forget the Filet Mignon. We’re eating ground beef.

The UCF administration isn’t about to roll those dice

Reactions: Knight Strength
My only point is we have to be getting into Big Boy Table which is the Big Picture.
I agree with this. Also would pay DW to keep us #1 at the kiddy table because last year was so fun... but if we keep doing what we did, we'll definitely be first to the Big Boy Table.

Lose DW and JH or we lose DW and JH disappoints and we go back to the Stone Age. Forget the Filet Mignon. We’re eating ground beef.

The UCF administration isn’t about to roll those dice

That's a key component. If Heupel ends up being mediocre, DW star starts to fade. He was smart in striking the iron while it's hot and raising money for the school and himself. Dawkins has shown he could use Donnie's recruits, but he hasn't proven himself as someone to move the needle on the program long term. I would say you have to wait two more years for basketball and football program results to determine if he is worth it. If both programs decline, donations will decline as well.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Not sure why we are arguing. It’s easy to see we are much better in literally every money sport since White was hired. Danny White inherited a winless football team that is now a national championship team. He inherited a team that has no basketball accomplishments to speak of and in Dawkins’s first year had the most conference victories UCF had had since the Atlantic Sun days. This 2 year stretch in conference play of 20 wins is the most successful stretch for UCF since the A Sun and in an infinitely more difficult conference that is considered a major conference in basketball. It’s even more impressive considering the injury situation. Women’s basketball didn’t register more that 10 wins in the 3 years on the American before white arrived. Now UCF has eclipsed 20 wins each of the past 2 years and is one of the better teams in the American. Again for a program with no accomplishments this is the best we have ever been. In baseball UCF hadn’t made a regional since joining the American before White arrived. They won the conference regular season and 40 games and made a regional last year and were a bubble snub this year after an ace pitcher was injured. The only sport that could be argued that UCF has taken a step back is softball which is ironically the one sport where White has not replaced the head coach.

We were successful before DW, but success like everything else is relative. The key is to continue to improve and go from successful to dominant and beyond. He clearly has a vision to make UCF a top 25 program and he is undeniably off to an amazing start in a short time. You are only looking at one aspect of success. Not just success on the field and court, but financially, in the classroom, in the community, and tons of national recognition!

Reactions: Mikesi
The whole point of my comment was he has to be angling to get us a step up in tiers to get the money he did. You guys changed it to me saying he doesn’t deserve a raise. I didn’t say that exactly. Or even at all.
Thera no way of knowing if he got a raise for any impending P5 invite. Doubt it

This is what was posted not too long ago......

UCF is making Danny White one of the highest-paid athletic directors in the country.

According to a source, university leaders have signed White to a new five-year rolling contract which will see his annual compensation increase from $630,000 to $1,030,000.

It's a $400,000 raise from a contract signed last November, but a lot has changed in the past six months with White's National Championship initiative generating priceless exposure for the university.

Outgoing school president John Hitt, incoming president Dale Whittaker and key donors convened in recent months to work on a package to pay White like a National Championship athletic director to ensure he'll remain in Orlando for years to come.

The new contract means White likely will enter top 20 territory in terms of AD compensation. Based on the latest available numbers for the 2016-17 academic year, an annual salary of $1,030,000 would have placed 16th overall.
I knew Hitt would come through again before he left. He must have got my memo on the AD Excellence Fund

Reactions: JAFFX2 and Mikesi
The whole point of my comment was he has to be angling to get us a step up in tiers to get the money he did. You guys changed it to me saying he doesn’t deserve a raise. I didn’t say that exactly. Or even at all.
My bad. Didn't mean to misinterpret.

this is what I intended as well & that the AD would not be as important if we got into the Power 5. A lot of the grinding White is doing would take less effort bc Orlando would have Power 5 Football & Basketball.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
this is what I intended as well & that the AD would not be as important if we got into the Power 5. A lot of the grinding White is doing would take less effort bc Orlando would have Power 5 Football & Basketball.
Pretty much. Also the AD should get that money even though the job is easier on paper.

Any notion that being a P5 AD is easier and significantly less important than G5 is fundamentally flawed. It is a middle of the pack, also ran, apathetic attitude. There are currently 65 P5 teams, which means that in any given year, at a minimum at least 60% or more of them are outside the top 25 teams in the nation looking in. Those are the also ran slugs with crappy ADs. P5 affiliation does not guarantee any team a damn thing without a good AD leading the charge. UCF has a top 10 AD and should be treated accordingly! #ChargeOn

Last edited:
Any notion that being a P5 AD is easier and significantly less important than G5 is fundamentally flawed. It is a middle of the pack, also ran, apathetic attitude. There are currently 65 P5 teams, which means that in any given year, at a minimum at least 60% or more of them are outside the top 25 teams in the nation looking in. Those are the also ran slugs with crappy ADs. P5 affiliation does not guarantee any team a damn thing without a good AD leading the charge. UCF has a top 10 AD and should be treated accordingly! #ChargeOn
You think he would make Iowa State, Minnesota and teams like that dominant? Or does being in Florida help him? Why wasn’t Buffalo this great University that went undefeated? Our Geography and Conference Affiliation helped him just as much as he helped us. His job hiring talent and scheduling opponents and getting donations becomes easier when a P5 Brand is stuck to it.

Or the real question should be... who cares who they hire? This is a UCF Board and does it really matter who they hire? Will they fire the Football Coach before he leaves? No.

Not going to look personally but are they even talking about this on their board? Do they care? Does it matter?

Mildly concerned because we're rivals and they could make a great hire but we have a great AD who is hard to beat. Will be interested to see how it turns out.

Reactions: Mikesi
Imagine what would happen to our rivalry if the Bulls signed DW

Not even in an alternate universe could that ever possibly happen!

hyRQqP.png

Thera no way of knowing if he got a raise for any impending P5 invite. Doubt it

DW was given a raise for not what UCF did on the field or on the court. DW got a well deserved raise for all the record $$$$ DW has raised....as he is easily the #1 Booster Fundraiser this program has ever seen.

Bottom line, DW is in sales...just like his background when he use to work for the Ole Miss Booster Club and then set fundraising records at Buffalo.

DW rewrote the AD role at UCF...where at most schools, AD is a desk job for an Administrator.

DW is in sales...and that's what UCF needs...and if his hires hit homeruns like Frost, it's an added bonus.

Last edited:
DW was given a raise for not what UCF did on the field or on the court. DW got a well deserved raise forfall the record $$$$ DW has raised....as he is easily the #1 Booster Fundraiser this program has ever seen.

Bottom line, DW is in sales...just like his background when he use to work for the Ole Miss Booster Club and then set fundraising records at Buffalo.

DW rewrote the AD role at UCF...where St most schools, AD is a desk job for an Administrator.

DW is in sales...and that's what UCF needs...and if his hires hit homeruns like Frost, it's an added bonus.
It’s easier to sell when you hire a coach who wins games

Exactly, he made the most of the current situation. If football declines, money will decline. Heupel continuing what Frost did is vital, otherwise DW couldn't keep a coach despite raising money and didn't hire a good enough successor.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?

He brought in some of the biggest donations ever to UCF, well before UCF Football was even ranked. Heck, Frost was below .500 his first of 2 season as the team and he got totally embarrassed at a HOME bowl game to a Sunbelt team.

That still didn't stop DW from bringing in new revenue streams and donations.

He brought in some of the biggest donations ever to UCF, well before UCF Football was even ranked. Heck, Frost was below .500 his first of 2 season as the team and he got totally embarrassed at a HOME bowl game to a Sunbelt team.

That still didn't stop DW from bringing in new revenue streams and donations.
The bigger donations came in during The EF which was designed to give raises to coaches AFTER they started winning games. The larger donations that came in before that were from people who had already given large donations in past. I don’t care how much money he brings in if the teams suck.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
The bigger donations came in during The EF which was designed to give raises to coaches AFTER they started winning games. The larger donations that came in before that were from people who had already given large donations in past. I don’t care how much money he brings in if the teams suck.

DW transformed BHNS with the largest ever increase in club seating coming off a LOSING year...which brought in a ton more revenue...and then sold out the field cabanas too.

DW had a salesmen background...and that's why Dr Hitt hired him.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
Mo me, money is the whole point of our subdivision. Money doesn't guarantee success but it is necessary to succeed in the FBS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT