ADVERTISEMENT

We have to ditch this losing mentality.

Mikesi

Diamond Knight
Oct 17, 2013
Lots of fans on this board have voiced their opinions that we have very little chance to win tomorrow.
I must say that I'm little disappointed in that. We have a history of losing these games, but thought that we got over the hump in 2013/2014 with P5 wins at Penn State and vs Baylor. Even Louisville from our conference.

We definitely need a win tomorrow to get some of that Mojo back. It's been forever since we beat a decent team. We were 6-7 last year, but we really need to learn how to win REAL games again. This game could have easily been a W last year. They lost an experienced QB and we have one with a year under his belt, so what's the problem here?

The time is now Frost!

Last edited:
Lots of fans on this board have voiced their opinions that we have very little chance to win tomorrow.
I must say that I'm little disappointed in that. We have a history of losing these games, but thought that we got over the hump in 2013/2014 with P5 wins at Penn State and vs Baylor. Even Louisville from our conference.

We definitely need a win tomorrow to get some of that Mojo back. It's been forever since we beat a decent team. We were 6-7 last year, but we really need to learn how to win REAL games again.

The time is now Frost!
It was a close game last year with Milton throwing for 250 in his first start . He looks to make better decisions on where he goes with ball. TH is back on online. Their QB is 17 YEARS OLD...let that sink in. He has ability but a good DC should be able to rattle him. I think it's a pickem game. It's only at 4 points and usually home field is worth 3. So basically a 1 point game. Should be exciting.

It was a close game last year with Milton throwing for 250 in his first start . He looks to make better decisions on where he goes with ball. TH is back on online. Their QB is 17 YEARS OLD...let that sink in. He has ability but a good DC should be able to rattle him. I think it's a pickem game. It's only at 4 points and usually home field is worth 3. So basically a 1 point game. Should be exciting.
Yes. I did read that he was 17. That's crazy. What irritates me and should irritate our defense is that a lot of "experts" are saying that a good defense can rattle him, but that he can succeed vs UCF

That would really piss me off. I expect some BIG defensive plays tomorrow

Reactions: UCFProf
The doubters are just protecting themselves in this selfy, Yelp review age of not committing to anything because that would imply you cared (i.e., not numb inside). We commit regardless of the outcome. Even if we lose by 20, we should give our support that much more.

The doubters are just protecting themselves in this selfy, Yelp review age of not committing to anything because that would imply you cared (i.e., not numb inside). We commit regardless of the outcome. Even if we lose by 20, we should give our support that much more.
I'll put it all out there and on the line. Someone has to. I don't care. I didn't say that we were going to beat Michigan last year, but these teams are evenly matched and we are just ready to play some football. The line is close because others believe the same. I don't need no stinkin defense mechanisms. I do believe that this game is very winnable. Wish it was at home, but we have to beat quality P5 opponents on the road for ANYONE to take us seriously.

I'm not even worried. UCF will win this. Probably overconfident. But UCF is in an upward trajectory. Naysayers and haters watch and learn...

Reactions: Mikesi
As someone mentioned in the dungeon, we have not beat a P5 team in 1,361 days (3 seasons?) I hope we win this game, but with those stats, I can see where the Debbie downer attitude is coming from. New team new year, Go Knights!

As someone mentioned in the dungeon, we have not beat a P5 team in 1,361 days (3 seasons?) I hope we win this game, but with those stats, I can see where the Debbie downer attitude is coming from. New team new year, Go Knights!
Wow. That's too damn long

Such a bogus way to measure success in a rigged system.
P5 schools deliberately avoid scheduling any G5 school they can't slaughter.
Even when they do, it's nearly always with a home field advantage.
Two of the P5 conferences are now down to only 3 OOC games, and one can be an FCS school.
Half the AAC schools get only one shot at a P5 this season (largely against Big 12 schools).
Already, the P5 have an incentive to avoid G5 schools altogether (play P5's) to not lower their rankings.
Even in basketball, we were able to play 4 schools for the first time ever last year from the P5 football conferences last season (and 2 at home!) only because THREE of those games were in the NIT! -- and we won 3 of 4.

Two of the P5 conferences are now down to only 3 OOC games, and one can be an FCS school.
Half the AAC schools get only one shot at a P5 this season (largely against Big 12 schools).
Already, the P5 have an incentive to avoid G5 schools altogether (play P5's) to not lower their rankings.
Even in basketball, we were able to play 4 schools for the first time ever last year from the P5 football conferences last season (and 2 at home!) only because THREE of those games were in the NIT! -- and we won 3 of 4.
But still. Why don't we just win one?
This isn't one of those games that Maryland thinks is an easy W. They did agreed to a home and away series

It better not be for their sake

Last edited:

We haven't beat a team with a winning record since 2014?

Reactions: mgtaylorfl
As was said, we haven't won a P5 game in 1,300 days (great stat posted btw). Maryland looks GOOD. They look fast and get to the ball quickly. What worries me is A. our ability to run the ball and B. our chances of containing their QBs.

UCF coaches know we have to able to create a legitimate run game. Considering we put up only 150+ yrds vs lowly FIU, I'm concerned. That's A. B, we've got a young secondary and I have a feeling they get exposed against this legit P5 force.

Mike I'd like to shed our loser mentality but this is a far more powerful P5 team we've faced in awhile and think we'll need to search for that elusive P5 elsewhere.

The 1,300 game streak continues.

Really hope I'm wrong.

With that said, IT'S GAMETIIIIIIME MFer's!!°

As was said, we haven't won a P5 game in 1,300 days (great stat posted btw). Maryland looks GOOD. They look fast and get to the ball quickly. What worries me is A. our ability to run the ball and B. our chances of containing their QBs.

UCF coaches know we have to able to create a legitimate run game. Considering we put up only 150+ yrds vs lowly FIU, I'm concerned. That's A. B, we've got a young secondary and I have a feeling they get exposed against this legit P5 force.

Mike I'd like to shed our loser mentality but this is a far more powerful P5 team we've faced in awhile and think we'll need to search for that elusive P5 elsewhere.

The 1,300 game streak continues.

Really hope I'm wrong.

With that said, IT'S GAMETIIIIIIME MFer's!!°
That's right! It's game time Beatches!!!

3 things required for our program to take the next step:
1) QB Play;
2) Pass Protection;
3) Open holes for runners.
(Note: DB Haynes brought stability to defensive backfield chemistry)

I saw 1 & 2 in last game. Show me 3 and we can run the table.

But still. Why don't we just win one?
We haven't beat a team with a winning record since 2014?
See, falling into the trap. It's like saying, "Been 20,000 days since we've escaped a wildfire.
A better measure is what is our record against ranked teams in the past 5 years? We're like 2-5, despite our win less year and last year's rebuilding year. A lot of P5 schools haven't done that well.

3 things required for our program to take the next step:
1) QB Play;
2) Pass Protection;
3) Open holes for runners.
(Note: DB Haynes brought stability to defensive backfield chemistry)

I saw 1 & 2 in last game. Show me 3 and we can run the table.
Any "what needs to happen" that doesn't include defense is worthless.

Just saw a graphic. Houston has 7 straight P5 wins. Wow. A lot of them were actually against very quality opponents. All of them really. Even the weaker opponents were Bowl game wins.

Just saw a graphic. Houston has 7 straight P5 wins. Wow. A lot of them were actually against very quality opponents. All of them really. Even the weaker opponents were Bowl game wins.
Just couldn't win conference games where they were the favorites. That quickly gives them the label of "inconsistent" (or worse). Heck, we nearly beat them.

Reactions: Knight In TN
a0604298886_10.jpg

Just couldn't win conference games where they were the favorites. That quickly gives them the label of "inconsistent" (or worse). Heck, we nearly beat them.
We all need to win our OOC games because it embarrasses the P5/G5 balance and ridiculous things like that.

Walking through their campus to the Metro. Every Maryland fan is moving to the side with their heads down. Not this guy

Much love to you Mike! Glad I was wrong.

Great day to be a Knight!
Thanks! What a fun day and great win. Proud to be a Knight. We simply had more talent than they did. I never doubted that. Yeah... they lost their QB, but it was because of us and his inexperience. We had the inexperienced QB last year, so it's nice to return the favor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT