ADVERTISEMENT

What an 8 team playoff should have looked like this year

Crazyhole

Todd's Tiki Bar
Jun 4, 2004
As long as the G5 conferences have an equal opportunity to reach the playoff, I don't really care how many teams are involved but 8 seems to solve it. If G5s arent afforded that benefit then just scrap the playoff altogether. We can go on forever about who is deserving in a 4, 8, or 16 team playoff but when a bias exists that immediately disregards half of D1 then we will never make things "right". At the same time, clearly there is a gap between the 3 or 4 best teams in P5 conferences relative to G5s so it will always be unbalanced when the selections are made and most years there is a gap between the top 2 conferences and the rest. Maybe the simple solution is to emphasize head to head matchups during selection, and once the higher seeds are taken (based on record) eliminate anyone from contention who that team beat. There's still a level of subjectivity involved, but that will always be the case. This year, if you had 8 teams then Georgia and Michigan would be eliminated, so you would have Bama, Clemson, ND, Oklahoma, Ohio St., UCF, Washington, and Fresno St. (Over Florida based on conference title). That would satisfy the conference champion issue and the best record issue without having a situation where a rematch could occur.

Anybody see a problem with this setup?

As long as the G5 conferences have an equal opportunity to reach the playoff, I don't really care how many teams are involved but 8 seems to solve it. If G5s arent afforded that benefit then just scrap the playoff altogether. We can go on forever about who is deserving in a 4, 8, or 16 team playoff but when a bias exists that immediately disregards half of D1 then we will never make things "right". At the same time, clearly there is a gap between the 3 or 4 best teams in P5 conferences relative to G5s so it will always be unbalanced when the selections are made and most years there is a gap between the top 2 conferences and the rest. Maybe the simple solution is to emphasize head to head matchups during selection, and once the higher seeds are taken (based on record) eliminate anyone from contention who that team beat. There's still a level of subjectivity involved, but that will always be the case. This year, if you had 8 teams then Georgia and Michigan would be eliminated, so you would have Bama, Clemson, ND, Oklahoma, Ohio St., UCF, Washington, and Fresno St. (Over Florida based on conference title). That would satisfy the conference champion issue and the best record issue without having a situation where a rematch could occur.

P5 teams that lost head to head matchups would never like this. They would still think they belong over teams with better records. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Reactions: Knight Strength

Sounds reasonable.....but what about this: 5 P5 winners, UCF as best/highest ranked G5 school, and then a pick'em for the next 2 spots:

In automatically:
Alabama
Clemson
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Washington
UCF

Pick best 2:
Notre Dame
Michigan
Georgia
Fresno State
Boise State

You could actually mirror the basketball tournament, and have a play-in game for the 7th and 8th spot; thus, you would be expanding the field to 10 schools.

I've mentioned this in another thread but, ideally, 12 teams should be included: top 4 teams get a first round bye, and the surviving four (from matches in the first round) would then face the top four.

In this scenario, you could have 5 P5 conference winners, 2-3 conference winners from G5, remaining 4-5 schools chosen by best record.

This 4 team nonsense gets boring after a while when only, realistically, only 5-6 teams will have a chance make it. In fact, I didn't even bother to watch any of the play off games last year.....and, won't watch them this year either.

Last edited:
Sounds reasonable.....but what about this: 5 P5 winners, UCF as best/highest ranked G5 school, and then a pick'em for the next 2 spots:

In automatically:
Alabama
Clemson
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Washington
UCF

Pick best 2:
Notre Dame
Michigan
Georgia
Fresno State
Boise State

You could actually mirror the basketball tournament, and have a play-in game for the 7th and 8th spot; thus, you would be expanding the field to 10 schools.

I've mentioned this in another thread but, ideally, 12 teams should be included: top 4 teams get a first round bye, and the surviving four (from matches in the first round) would then face the top four.

In this scenario, you could have 5 P5 conference winners, 2-3 conference winners from G5, remaining 4-5 schools chosen by best record.

This 4 team nonsense gets boring after a while when only, realistically, only 5-6 teams will have a chance make it. In fact, I didn't even bother to watch any of the play off games last year.....and, won't watch them this year either.
Notre Dame gets in, obviously. After that, it would be a stretch IMO to say that Michigan and Georgia deserve a spot when they already lost to a team thats in. Fresno and BSU split, but Fresno won the conference so that seems like a rational tiebreaker. Obviously this year is much more cut and dried in relation to other years which is convenient, but then again it seems like a no-brainer this year that there are 4 teams who are undefeated so they should be the only ones in as well.

In automatically:
Alabama
Clemson
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Washington
UCF

Pick best 2:
Notre Dame
Michigan
Georgia
Fresno State
Boise State

This. I rather conference champs that have strict rules to go off of make it in rather than rely on a bogus number next to your name that can EASILY be manipulated.

Get a computer formula and just take the top 8. No committee, no eye test, etc.
I’d rather just use conference champs and a couple at large. Then have an NIT type tourney. I’d actually like to only do conference games and maybe 1 OOC. Then start tourneys. I’d go 16 in CFP, 16 in NIT and then 16 in CIT. Top 40 or so teams are involved as well as a couple G5 Champs not in top 40.

At least give them a shot? It's pathetic that they want to argue against opportunity.

How an 8 team playoff would have looked this year:

1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Oklahoma
5. Georgia
6. Michigan
7. Ohio State
8. Florida

9. UCF - CFP committee cites low "opening coin-toss win percentage" as smoking gun evidence that UCF could not compete with the big boys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT