ADVERTISEMENT

It just doesn't feel like Gus is the "big time coach" that we thought we got, does it?

Oldest Man

Silver Knight
Oct 19, 2001
This team has too many brain farts to beat middle of the road B12 teams. It's just a fact. And it has resulted in a 2-6 Conference Record. That follows a 1-3 finish to last season. So, we're 3-9 in our last 12 games against Conference or Bowl opponents. And we've learned something about Gus coached teams. When you consistently come to work unprepared to play an entire game and then shoot yourself in the foot it's unacceptable. There's just too many unforced errors/issues. And not fixing it is on the HC. Donors and Fans have to view these results as unacceptable. Those who insisted that Gus's extension was a good move, please put that thought away, deep in your back pocket. If Arkansas hires him, we'd be lucky because we're going to be rebuilding next year anyway (all skill players on the O are graduating/leaving and our lack of talent on the D speaks for itself). Right now, it's best to get some new blood into the program at the top.

Fire Mohajir and then exert pressure on Malzahn to walk away with less buyout $$$ from UCF

Malzahn gets a new gig somewhere else longterm and still collects checks from Auburn and UCF

That follows a 1-3 finish to last season.
So you are upset that Gus finished 1-3 last season, and you are upset that Gus is poised to finish the regular season 3-1.

Fail Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

This team has too many brain farts to beat middle of the road B12 teams. It's just a fact. And it has resulted in a 2-6 Conference Record. That follows a 1-3 finish to last season. So, we're 3-9 in our last 12 games against Conference or Bowl opponents. And we've learned something about Gus coached teams. When you consistently come to work unprepared to play an entire game and then shoot yourself in the foot it's unacceptable. There's just too many unforced errors/issues. And not fixing it is on the HC. Donors and Fans have to view these results as unacceptable. Those who insisted that Gus's extension was a good move, please put that thought away, deep in your back pocket. If Arkansas hires him, we'd be lucky because we're going to be rebuilding next year anyway (all skill players on the O are graduating/leaving and our lack of talent on the D speaks for itself). Right now, it's best to get some new blood into the program at the top.
What UCF needs to do is pour money into the football program.-- Upgrade the stadium and facilities. Hire more support staff and expand the recruiting budget. Spend money building up the program.

Not waste money paying head coaches not to coach. Worse case scenario is the program will be in better shape for the next guy.

This is on Gus. You guys do know that he has a long history of each year beating a team he was not supposed to beat and then later losing to a team he was supposed to beat?

Lol…I ain’t making it up. It’s part of Gus Malzahn’s record.

• Haha
Reactions: Boston.Knight
So you are upset that Gus finished 1-3 last season, and you are upset that Gus is poised to finish the regular season 3-1.

You really are a piece of work...read my initial post in this thread and, for the last time, I'm tired that he's 3-9 in the last 12 games that really matter. You can continue to try to cover up his shortcomings, but the facts speak for themselves. He's got to go (or move into a different role) and the extension the AD gave him will probably cost him his job. Now move along.

You really are a piece of work...read my initial post in this thread and, for the last time, I'm tired that he's 3-9 in the last 12 games that really matter. You can continue to try to cover up his shortcomings, but the facts speak for themselves. He's got to go (or move into a different role) and the extension the AD gave him will probably cost him his job. Now move along.
It is a ONE year extension, it’s not like it’s extensive at all

FACTS are that when a program starts losing donations and contributions dry up. That’s just the way it is for EVERYONE.
I take most of what you post with a grain of salt, but when you write about a program declining, I have to read. The u has been on decline for two decades. No one knows more about program decline than a hurricane fan.

At what point will UCF only be able to fill its stadium to 40% capacity, while offering 2 for 1 tickets?

I take most of what you post with a grain of salt, but when you write about a program declining, I have to read. The u has been on decline for two decades. No one knows more about program decline than a hurricane fan.

At what point will UCF only be able to fill its stadium to 40% capacity, while offering 2 for 1 tickets?
40%!? lol You obviously didn’t watch the game. Dolphins’ Stadium was at best 20% capacity. lol

At the beginning of the season I thought 5-7 to 7-5 would be ok for the first year of B12 play. That is where we are. I don't know if GUS can get us to that next step of 7 to 9 wins per year in B12, Bit I do think he deserves a shot at it.

Reactions: Collinsco
Other than QB development, I’m ok with the job Gus has done. We need to remember what a bad recruiter Heupel was, AND last year was the first time we could really recruit as a P5 team. So we are still building our foundation as a P5 team.

Remember after game 2 this year how Colorado “proved” you could build a conference championship contender just using one year of the portal with the most charismatic coach in the country? That team is 4-7…..dead last in their conference. Building a foundation takes time people….some of you are saying the same crap we hear on the usif board.

And for those trying to cherry pick games to prove some non-existent point, every game counts to the extent of what should be our first goal every year, making a bowl game. This isn’t just us, Alabama plays body bag games too.

Relax Oldest Man we need more Jimmies and Joe's that can stop the run on defense. 200lb LB's don't cut it at the P5 level. They have safties that are bigger then that. We need to recruit more size and speed on defense.

Holy crap dude, these guys clearly weren't around when we were getting hammered by the competition were playing ball with now. Or perhaps they're just NARFs

Gus keeps turning on the charm with mama and getting blue chippers we be aight

Gus was all in on JRP last year. JRP was still learning the QB position. He is much improved this year. We really could had used another LB in the portal last year and we know how we got played from the USF dude. I thought that was the reason Gus decided to focus his time more on NIL.

Now that the black and gold tint on my sunglasses has faded off I did expect us to do a little better. If we can pull in better recruits on a sustained basis, utilize the portal and pull in more resources ($$$) we should be on a good trajectory.

I just didn't expect to get ball punched so hard in the first season. If this happens in year 3 then we know Gus and company have failed us as fans.

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
Gus was all in on JRP last year. JRP was still learning the QB position. He is much improved this year. We really could had used another LB in the portal last year and we know how we got played from the USF dude. I thought that was the reason Gus decided to focus his time more on NIL.
Losing Jeremiah Jean Baptist hurt more than anyone could have imagined. He is currently the fifth leading tackler at Ole Miss. I have no idea what happened between him and the coaching staff last season.

Losing Anthony Montalvo to graduation took another veteran presence/body out of the front seven.

Antonio Grier has not had the impact at Arkansas that most expected, but he is playing through injuries.

On JRP, we aren't at practice every fay. We do not see what goes on behind closed doors. Gus felt like JRP gave UCF the best chance to win.

A lot of people chastised Gus for picking Bo Nix over Malik Willis as QB. Where are those people today?

We were very close to competing for a high level. We blew leads in the 4th quarter 4x. The Baylor game was an indescribable disaster.

We are on the doorstep with some breaks and better decisions. If we win this week I like where we are at. We r definitely ahead of the other newcomers. Some of those losses will always hurt though.

Like our logo says, “ Keep reaching for the stars”

BEAT HOUSTON!!!!!

Last edited:
FACTS are that when a program starts losing donations and contributions dry up. That’s just the way it is for EVERYONE.
rare accurate post

a few fans on social media talking down to fans asking for more blank checks when it is clear Gus’s coaching lost games . Texas A&M proves money isn’t the only factor. They should be happy that attendance has held up as well as it has and people keep renewing when the product keeps getting worse

Reactions: UCFsbarro and Yaes
Losing Jeremiah Jean Baptist hurt more than anyone could have imagined. He is currently the fifth leading tackler at Ole Miss. I have no idea what happened between him and the coaching staff last season.

Losing Anthony Montalvo to graduation took another veteran presence/body out of the front seven.

Antonio Grier has not had the impact at Arkansas that most expected, but he is playing through injuries.

On JRP, we aren't at practice every fay. We do not see what goes on behind closed doors. Gus felt like JRP gave UCF the best chance to win.

A lot of people chastised Gus for picking Bo Nix over Malik Willis as QB. Where are those people today?
malik willis is in his 2nd year in the nfl while bo nix is a soon to be 24 year old man beating up on children. and he's achieving this success at oregon, not auburn where malzahn didn't even get the best out of him. so he chose him and then failed him.

There should be concerns that this team was loaded with senior experienced players. While many will point out its G5 experienced players, often that's better than inexperienced high recruits.

Next year could be worse depending on if there is additional departures, and who ends up being QB. Regardless there is going to be another year of growing pains breaking in a QB, even if it's McClain who has started 4 games in the past two years.

malik willis is in his 2nd year in the nfl while bo nix is a soon to be 24 year old man beating up on children. and he's achieving this success at oregon, not auburn where malzahn didn't even get the best out of him. so he chose him and then failed him.
Not a hill you want to die on.

Bo Nix will be a first round draft pick. Very well could wind up No. 1 overall. He is the most NFL ready quarterback I have seen this season.

Gus went through two springs and two falls with Nix. Malzahn had the vision to start Nix on opening day as a true freshman over Malik Willis.

Nix became the first legit P5 true freshman quarterback to start every single game since Georgia Tech's Reggie Ball, who did not improve from his initial season. (Trevor Lawrence wasn't even a wire-to-wire starter at Clemson.)

Nix did have a sophomore slump, but that can be attributed to Chad Morris. I can't really blame Nix for what happened under that idiot Harsin.

Bottom line is Gus recognized the skill and history will prove Gus made the right call.

Nix is currently No. 2 in PFF behind Jaiden Daniels.

Gus is the worst in-game coach I've ever witnessed at UCF. And I'm not even talking about the play-calling, which every fan-base complains about, regardless the coach. It's the game management which is inexcusably bad. Letting the clock expire at the end of the first half at Texas Tech when we should have at least gotten a FG. Starting Plumlee -- and putting him back into the game -- at Kansas when he wasn't ready. Repeatedly snapping the ball with 15+ seconds left on the play clock in the second half against Baylor, a game where every second mattered and they never should have had enough time to come back from that deficit. (That "strategy" was so stupid the announcers questioned what the hell we were doing). Being completely bumfuddled by how to deal with Navy each time he played them. Running trick plays on every 2-point conversion, failing on every single one. I think it's fair to say that if you plugged in a different coach on game day with the same talent and same basic game plan, we win Baylor and Texas Tech.

Having said that, I don't think we should fire him at the end of the season and pay the buyout. We allegedly have the best recruiting class ever coming in next year, although I don't have a ton of confidence in what this coaching staff will do with them. I'm just mostly stunned that a coach with this much experience, with SEC experience, handles game day like a rookie.

There should be concerns that this team was loaded with senior experienced players. While many will point out its G5 experienced players, often that's better than inexperienced high recruits.
Not when it was Heupel recruiting these now seniors…..

Reactions: Boston.Knight
Not when it was Heupel recruiting these now seniors…..
RJ Harvey and Morris-Brash seemed to be one of best players for their respective positions in several years dating past Heupel years. Tatum Bethune, Jean-Baptiste, Cam Goode have significant roles on top 15 teams.

I would say Heupel/Shannon recruited some positions better than what Malzahn has. Maybe not in rankings/stars, but in actual production on the field.

RJ Harvey and Morris-Brash seemed to be one of best players for their respective positions in several years dating past Heupel years. Tatum Bethune, Jean-Baptiste, Cam Goode have significant roles on top 15 teams.

I would say Heupel/Shannon recruited some positions better than what Malzahn has. Maybe not in rankings/stars, but in actual production on the field.
You are comparing Heupel/Shannon's fifth-year, multi-year starting seniors to Gus's true freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and sophomores.

After Heupel left, someone did a thorough deep dive into his recruiting here and it was shockingly bad. Socko and the WRs really carried us in those years. Cupboard was left empty.

You are comparing Heupel/Shannon's fifth-year, multi-year starting seniors to Gus's true freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and sophomores.
The good news is then there is a couple RBs that will have at least 6-7 yards per carry as their career average. Since both RJ Harvey and Johnny Richardson will finish their careers with that.

If Malzan's HS recruits are all studs, he should probably layoff the transfers since a lot of those are Junior and Seniors and not beating Heupel recruits.

Does anyone really believe that though? If they did, our National Championship (which is real, and listed in the book, being 13-0) wouldn't be controversial.
I don’t get offended when people don’t respect it but it depends on the team

Eye test I really believed 2017 UCF could play with and beat anyone . 2018 not as much even before the KZ injury

Reactions: connerito
I don’t get offended when people don’t respect it but it depends on the team

Eye test I really believed 2017 UCF could play with and beat anyone . 2018 not as much even before the KZ injury

Well let's put two other theories to the test...

Who was the rightful 2004 National Champion? USC or Auburn?

Who was the rightful 2010 National Champion? Auburn or TCU?

Who passes the eye test and why?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT