ADVERTISEMENT

Why doesn't UCF do this?

Because it makes too much sense and is too easy of a revenue generator*

But seriously, the black helmets sold because they were unique, worn during the dream 2013 season, and helmets are cool. Would UCF really get the same response if it were selling old jerseys and cleats? I doubt it. OSU has a massive, rabid fanbase with tons of money to throw around on this crap.

That said, it's worth UCF rolling out an alternate helmet for 1 game each year. I'm sure they made money on the sale in 2013 vs. what they paid for it.

2 main reasons

1) UCF's contract with Nike absolutely blows balls. It may have been enhanced with 2013, but the original contract was just above what a D2 school gets. Nike had the leverage and they used it and didn't even give the complimentary reach around.

2) UCF's fans are whiny as all hell. We had the Adidas jerseys for a while. Actual responses that were given.
- Do you have any in a smaller size?
- Why don't you have # whatever? I only want # whatever. Why didn't you get more of # whatever?
- Oh these are the Adidas ones. I wanted the Nike ones. (keeping in mind this was weeks after the Nike deal had even taken place.

For an athletics department, it is a lot of headache for a minimal amount of money

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT