ADVERTISEMENT

Active Shooter at Boulder, CO Grocery Store

It is semantics on this board because none of us would actually be writing the bill so we dont have to cover and debate every tiny little detail, which is all that ends up happening on this subject when people start trying to get into the weeds. I also told him where he could what was considered an AR in the 94 bill.
What do you think the 94 bill actually banned? Go ahead and bring it back in the exact same form as far as I'm concerned.

I didnt wipe it away, I said that it happens, but I am saying you are over stating it, because you are. Guns are used far more often in committing crimes, than in preventing crimes, this is simply a fact. IN fact, having a gun in your home is far more dangerous than not having one in your home. These are facts that statistics bare out. If that makes my argument on the kindergarten level then so be it, nobody cares about your personal insults.

But this is also getting off the topic a bit. Hardly anyone is saying you cant have any guns at all, so you are basically arguing something that no one else is saying. At least that is how my kindergarten level brain construes it, but I am sure a superior intellectual being such as yourself will tell me how stupid I am and win the argument.
I'm saying that you need to get out of the gun control echo chamber and look at things from a broader perspective. Your linked opinion pieces are perfect examples of selection bias on this topic. From the term gun violence, to talking about homicides in general, to looking only at incidences of a gun firing and not the effect of guns on everything else. Again, saying that having a gun in the home increases the chance of homicide is obvious; but homicide includes criminal murder/manslaughter, accidental shooting, and justifiable homicides. Not drawing the distinction so that you can pile on the numbers is disingenuous. I would hope that everyone would say that killing someone to save your life or your family's lives is a good thing. But these numbers just treat it all as bad. At least the second article talks to gun crime, but they only look at gun crime to make their decision. And it makes the same error in lumping all gun deaths that aren't suicide into homicides.

We don't handle guns the way that we handle other things that cause cultural, societal, and economic chaos. With guns, we just want to take them away. Now, that is impossible because any prohibition in America has failed. But we do it anyway. No education. Very little PR campaigns on gun security and safe practices. Certainly no acts of Congress to provide credits or force insurance companies to cover gun locks and gun safes.

Imagine, if you will, if we handled out-of-wedlock voluntary sex and reproduction the same way. In 2018, an all--time high of 2.5 million cases of just syphilis, gonorrhea, and chlamydia were reported to the CDC. 94 infants died from syphilis in 2018. That's not even to mention the more fatal STDs nor are we hitting pregnancy-related medical deaths and suicides. We're not even touching the number of lives (both of fetuses and of mothers) ended by abortion. So, in our hypothetical, rather than teaching safe sex practices in school, rather than getting people comfortable with all the different orientations, rather than providing all kinds of resources for birth control and legislation forcing insurance companies to provide birth control, rather than spending all kinds of money wiping away the consequences of sexual reproductive acts, we just say don't do it and criminalize those that have sex when someone in society says that they shouldn't? How would that work out?

I'm saying that you need to get out of the gun control echo chamber and look at things from a broader perspective. Your linked opinion pieces are perfect examples of selection bias on this topic. From the term gun violence, to talking about homicides in general, to looking only at incidences of a gun firing and not the effect of guns on everything else. Again, saying that having a gun in the home increases the chance of homicide is obvious; but homicide includes criminal murder/manslaughter, accidental shooting, and justifiable homicides. Not drawing the distinction so that you can pile on the numbers is disingenuous. I would hope that everyone would say that killing someone to save your life or your family's lives is a good thing. But these numbers just treat it all as bad. At least the second article talks to gun crime, but they only look at gun crime to make their decision. And it makes the same error in lumping all gun deaths that aren't suicide into homicides.

We don't handle guns the way that we handle other things that cause cultural, societal, and economic chaos. With guns, we just want to take them away. Now, that is impossible because any prohibition in America has failed. But we do it anyway. No education. Very little PR campaigns on gun security and safe practices. Certainly no acts of Congress to provide credits or force insurance companies to cover gun locks and gun safes.

Imagine, if you will, if we handled out-of-wedlock voluntary sex and reproduction the same way. In 2018, an all--time high of 2.5 million cases of just syphilis, gonorrhea, and chlamydia were reported to the CDC. 94 infants died from syphilis in 2018. That's not even to mention the more fatal STDs nor are we hitting pregnancy-related medical deaths and suicides. We're not even touching the number of lives (both of fetuses and of mothers) ended by abortion. So, in our hypothetical, rather than teaching safe sex practices in school, rather than getting people comfortable with all the different orientations, rather than providing all kinds of resources for birth control and legislation forcing insurance companies to provide birth control, rather than spending all kinds of money wiping away the consequences of sexual reproductive acts, we just say don't do it and criminalize those that have sex when someone in society says that they shouldn't? How would that work out?

I dont know what syphilis has to do with guns so I am going to bypass that part, but the bolded part isnt remotely true. At best people want a ban on certain types of guns, but most people are just calling for more regulations, they are not trying to ban all guns. As I said before, you are arguing against something no one else is really proposing.

I dont know what syphilis has to do with guns so I am going to bypass that part, but the bolded part isnt remotely true. At best people want a ban on certain types of guns, but most people are just calling for more regulations, they are not trying to ban all guns. As I said before, you are arguing against something no one else is really proposing.
When the proposed regulations wouldn’t do anything to prevent the tragedies that prompt the discussions, you have to wonder what the motivations are.

When the proposed regulations wouldn’t do anything to prevent the tragedies that prompt the discussions, you have to wonder what the motivations are.
Exactly. Why propose a regulation that wouldn't affect the problem at hand?

Exactly. Why propose a regulation that wouldn't affect the problem at hand?
Republicans are more than welcome to come up with better solutions. Or just say they are fine with mass shootings, which seems to be the case.

The bolded part is absolutely true. The way that the repeatedly proposed legislation it written, it encompasses most of the weapons in America. Beyond that, there have been more than a few activists for groups like everytown that have admitted that assault weapons is just a start. Just like every other progressive cause. Just like I said before, you claim that something you don’t like isn’t true and then just ignore anything about it. So it tried to give you a hypothetical analogy to show you the hypocrisy in the way the left treats things based on what they deem acceptable. Unfortunately, you decided not to even try to debate the point. Hence, kindergarten.

Reactions: Knight In TN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT