ADVERTISEMENT

Ahem...

Happy Hands

Golden Knight
Sep 18, 2009
1dlrfs.jpg

Frost said tonight that Shaquil will be playing on Sundays next season.

All he needed to fix was turning around and looking towards the QB and the ball. If he can eliminate the pass interferences vs good competition , he will be in the NFL. He has very good to elite speed as shown today.

Reactions: KnightLife1
Gotta give the old guy credit for the PLAYERS. I believe only Hill wasn't his recruit.

He really needed a good game...as he has gotten beat way too often over the past month or so.

Glad he stepped up his game big time yesterday.

Reactions: UCFhonors
He really needed a good game...as he has gotten beat way too often over the past month or so. Glad he stepped up his game big time yesterday.
And Travis -- our DB coach, a GOL holdover, alum, and long-time NFLer -- implied he was overruled by GOL in trying to get Shaquem more playing time until this season. It evidently wasn't so much his physical challenge but rather O'Leary's policy of benching players who make mistakes. Shaquem got discouraged and lost valuable game experience, too.

Frost is the opposite, getting backups in early, which keeps starters fresh and going full speed. Depending on the player, fear of being benched for making mistakes can make a player too tentative. Frost does bench players, though, for attitude issues.

And Travis -- our DB coach, a GOL holdover, alum, and long-time NFLer -- implied he was overruled by GOL in trying to get Shaquem more playing time until this season. It evidently wasn't so much his physical challenge but rather O'Leary's policy of benching players who make mistakes. Shaquem got discouraged and lost valuable game experience, too.

Frost is the opposite, getting backups in early, which keeps starters fresh and going full speed. Depending on the player, fear of being benched for making mistakes can make a player too tentative. Frost does bench players, though, for attitude issues.

Incorrect...as that was the case when Shaquem was still at DB this Spring under Frost (i.e. 3rd team DB...put there by Coach Fish...as he was not a good DB).

Only after the struggles with the 3-4 in the Spring...did Fish bring up the chance to Frost to move Shaquem to outside LB in the 3-4 (smaller LB could play that vs in the 4-3), and Frost basically said "Go ahead...I doubt he will ever see the field as DB...got nothing to lose"...and the rest you can say is history.

Glad its worked out so well for Shaquem but for the team as well.

Last edited:
In correct...as that was the case when Shaquem was still at DB this Spring under Frost (i.e. 3rd team DB...put there by Coach Fish...as he was not a good DB).

Only after the struggles with the 3-4 in the Spring...did Fish bring up the chance to Frost to move Shaquem to outside LB in the 3-4 (smaller LB could play that vs in the 4-3), and Frost basically said "Go ahead...I doubt he will ever see the field as DB...got nothing to lose"...and the rest you can say is history.

Glad its worked out so well for Shaquem but for the team as well.

So glad he retained Travis -- for so many reasons.

In life you are going to make mistakes. Make as many mistakes as you want, just don't make the same mistake twice.

O'leary hired Chinander?
I don't know how much credit you can give Chinander for this defense. They were recruited and coached by a guy that us known for creating stout disciplined defenses. I'm not sure if Chinander is a good defensive coach or not.Time will tell. I do know he was very fortunate inheriting this level of talent.

I don't know how much credit you can give Chinander for this defense. They were recruited and coached by a guy that us known for creating stout disciplined defenses. I'm not sure if Chinander is a good defensive coach or not.Time will tell. I do know he was very fortunate inheriting this level of talent.
And GOL had player moral in the dumps.

The Griffin Twins were rumored to be quitting the Program till Frost/Chinander showed up and made them enjoy the Sport again.

not just 0-12 but getting blown out & embarrassed by teams like Tulane and UCONN. I don't know how anyone has any affection left for the Grinch after the Program looked like some IAA disaster just coming off a Death Penalty.
Yes.., Tulane and UConn destroyed us. Make no mistake about that. They haven't changed, but we have.

All he needed to fix was turning around and looking towards the QB and the ball. If he can eliminate the pass interferences vs good competition , he will be in the NFL. He has very good to elite speed as shown today.

Yes, looking at the receiver is pass breakup oriented. Looking at the QB is interception oriented. AS a DB, you can rarely, if ever, intercept looking downfield facing the receiver.

He really needed a good game...as he has gotten beat way too often over the past month or so.

Glad he stepped up his game big time yesterday.
Yes, and mostly he was beaten not because he was out of place, but because he failed to turn around and find the ball. This can be corrected with effective coaching.

Yes, looking at the receiver is pass breakup oriented. Looking at the QB is interception oriented. AS a DB, you can rarely, if ever, intercept looking downfield facing the receiver.
Yes, but it literally took 4 years. Better late than never. Also, the refs aren't gong to be lenient on pass interference calls if you are out of position and/or face guarding.

Yes, and mostly he was beaten not because he was out of place, but because he failed to turn around and find the ball. This can be corrected with effective coaching.
This 100%. He's a fast athlete, so he was often on the receiver. Ran 10.9 100 meter as a high school junior I believe.

not just 0-12 but getting blown out & embarrassed by teams like Tulane and UCONN. I don't know how anyone has any affection left for the Grinch after the Program looked like some IAA disaster just coming off a Death Penalty.

Exactly. Chinander deserves tons of credit.

Reactions: UCFProf
UCF was the very last team in FBS without an interception! And being in the bottom 5 in the nation in most major defensive categories was still an UNDERestimate, because the consistent blowouts were in the second part of the season. Also, nobody's mentioned how we graduated most of our defensive line, an excellent linebacker, and a good DB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT