ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Kennedy retirement

Crazyhole

Todd's Tiki Bar
Jun 4, 2004
Its June so the yearly rumor mill is in full force on whether Kennedy will retire. Between this and the ever present possibility of Ginsburgs health forcing her to step away there is a very real possibility of Trump placing 3 justices on the court. That would dramatically change the court for a generation.

How crazy would that be?

Its June so the yearly rumor mill is in full force on whether Kennedy will retire. Between this and the ever present possibility of Ginsburgs health forcing her to step away there is a very real possibility of Trump placing 3 justices on the court. That would dramatically change the court for a generation.

How crazy would that be?
Ginsburg only needs to make it 18 more months

Reactions: NinjaKnight
Hell, only 8 months if you follow the republicans lead on adding new SCJ's during the end of a presidents term.

I dont get that math.

It was a pretty ballsy but shortsighted move by McConnell blocking Garland. It shows how little faith he had in his own party to stay united.

I dont get that math.

It was a pretty ballsy but shortsighted move by McConnell blocking Garland. It shows how little faith he had in his own party to stay united.

You're right, it was more than ten months.

The vacancy caused by Scalia's death remained unfilled for 422 days, making it just the second Supreme Court vacancy since the end of the Civil War to remain unfilled for more than one year.

You're right, it was more than ten months.

The vacancy caused by Scalia's death remained unfilled for 422 days, making it just the second Supreme Court vacancy since the end of the Civil War to remain unfilled for more than one year.

That would put the same time line closer to 20 months.

That would put the same time line closer to 20 months.

Yeah, I wasn't crazy about the idea of an Obama appointed justice but it still struck me as wrong that he wasn't allowed to appoint a replacement. I don't know how someone can justify waiting that long.

Garland was nominated in March of 2016 so if that timeline is the standard then Ginsburg needs to make it another 21 months. That would make her 87 years old, and with the health problems she has already had Im not sure I would put much money on her getting there.

Honestly I would LOVE to see a dem Senate reciprocate in 2019 and then introduce a bill to kill that scumbag practice.

Honestly I would LOVE to see a dem Senate reciprocate in 2019 and then introduce a bill to kill that scumbag practice.

And then we get to listen to fox news and our local message board idiots whine about how unfair Trump is being treated.

Kennedy and Crypt Keeper Ginsburg...your days are numbered... tick tock tick tock...Please Just Get In The Ground Already !
It's just a matter of time...

Trump's appointments to the Supreme Court will prove to be the longest lasting, most influential part of his legacy. Thank you President Trump for your wisdom ! I look forward to more winning !
And Happy Birthday America !!
It's time to party and feel good about ourselves !

trump is going to win a second term. i doubt ginsburg's health lasts that long.

You don't really believe he will win a second term, do you?

I'm seriously not even trying to start a pissing match with this. He got his ass handed to him by Hillary. 3 million votes. A lot of people didn't like Hillary. Democrats could run almost anyone and have a better showing than Hillary did.

As of right now, according to pretty much any source, he is not as favorable now as he was then.

All he has to do is lose Florida...and we have a huge influx of pissed off Puerto Ricans living here now who can vote.

Even with the Democrats history of awful candidates, this is setting up for him to be completely slaughtered in the next election as long as they don't nominate Hitler... which I wouldn't put past them.

I'm seriously not even trying to start a pissing match with this. He got his ass handed to him by Hillary. 3 million votes. A lot of people didn't like Hillary. Democrats could run almost anyone and have a better showing than Hillary did.

As of right now, according to pretty much any source, he is not as favorable now as he was then.

All he has to do is lose Florida...and we have a huge influx of pissed off Puerto Ricans living here now who can vote.

Even with the Democrats history of awful candidates, this is setting up for him to be completely slaughtered in the next election as long as they don't nominate Hitler... which I wouldn't put past them.

I could literally take this post and date it July 2016. It's exactly how you sounded then too. And to be fair, so did I.

You guys also seem intent in ignoring how we elect Presidents in this country. The fact that California and NY went especially huge for Hillary in terms of total votes is totally meaningless; Trump absolutely kicked her ass in the electoral college. (I know, I know- why do those backwards, hick, white Midwesterners even get a say in this?)

It's so funny- right before the 2016 election, the media pundits (the people you love) were already talking about "a decade in the wilderness for the GOP". You may want to just admit that what the Democrats are selling these days is basically worthless and no one outside of CA or NY coastal cities are buying it.

Yeah no one thought he'd win 2016. He is probably even better with his base. And the worst fears about his presidency, i.e., WW3 haven't happened. The economy is doing okay. You add in the tendency of presidents to win second terms because so many people like continuity. He's a two term president.

Reactions: UCFWayne

historically, very few sitting presidents have lost their reelection bids. i think its only 3 or 4 total. so that is in trumps favor.

the economy is doing really well. unless there is a massive recession just before the election, that is in trumps favor.

trumps approval rating seems to depend on where you look. some say its low, some say its high. i think this is a wash.

right or wrong, i know what trumps message is. i dont see a clear message from the democrats. the only message i see is 'fuk trump.' i dont think you can run a successful presidential campaign on that alone. surely you can win at the local and state levels but not potus. this favors trump.

most people see a problem with the immigration rules. no one wants to see kids in cages. i think trump has shown that he is willing to make a deal on immigration. this is going to take some compromise. i dont see the democrats willing to compromise while i see trump open to it. i think this leans in favor of trump.

hes making peace with north korea. that favors trump.

assuming a recession doesnt hit hard in 2019, i think trump has a big victory. i might even consider voting for him.

historically, very few sitting presidents have lost their reelection bids. i think its only 3 or 4 total. so that is in trumps favor.

the economy is doing really well. unless there is a massive recession just before the election, that is in trumps favor.

trumps approval rating seems to depend on where you look. some say its low, some say its high. i think this is a wash.

right or wrong, i know what trumps message is. i dont see a clear message from the democrats. the only message i see is 'fuk trump.' i dont think you can run a successful presidential campaign on that alone. surely you can win at the local and state levels but not potus. this favors trump.

most people see a problem with the immigration rules. no one wants to see kids in cages. i think trump has shown that he is willing to make a deal on immigration. this is going to take some compromise. i dont see the democrats willing to compromise while i see trump open to it. i think this leans in favor of trump.

assuming a recession doesnt hit hard in 2019, i think trump has a big victory. i might even consider voting for him.

Trump's Gallup approval is 46% which is exactly where Obama's was during his 1st term.

Trump's Gallup approval is 46% which is exactly where Obama's was during his 1st term.
because of the current economy i believe the gallup poll is probably close, but there are several other polls that say he is way down. that is why i called it a wash.

Still a long ways to go but I agree with this totally. IMO, the only way the dems win is if the economy contracts AND the dems find a cult of personality type moderate candidate. They've run the moderates out of the party so it looks pretty favorable for Trump right now.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Still a long ways to go but I agree with this totally. IMO, the only way the dems win is if the economy contracts AND the dems find a cult of personality type moderate candidate. They've run the moderates out of the party so it looks pretty favorable for Trump right now.

Didn’t you hear? Alec Baldwin is going to run and win

The Rock is going to run and kick his candy ass right back to average citizenry.
the rock and oprah have tag teamed against trump and pence. trump gets in an argument with pence and tells him to get the hell out. suddenly stone cold comes crashing down the aisle. he then stuns the rock. cnn and fox come in and start fighting. this distracts the ref. trump sneaks around and slams a chair to the back of oprahs head. trump gets back in the ring and pins the rock. then trump and steve chug a beer.

the rock and oprah have tag teamed against trump and pence. trump gets in an argument with pence and tells him to get the hell out. suddenly stone cold comes crashing down the aisle. he then stuns the rock. cnn and fox come in and start fighting. this distracts the ref. trump sneaks around and slams a chair to the back of oprahs head. trump gets back in the ring and pins the rock. then trump and steve chug a beer.

giphy.gif

Depends if the US media can keep up their mass fraud or not. And if it doesn't backfire.

I'm seeing a serious, mounting backfire from the misappropriated immigration imagery that has dominated since late May. I mean, we have the AP re-using photos from 3 weeks earlier that were debunked, and even Time has had to walk back their defense of their cover, because the woman actually represented exactly who Trump is trying to prevent getting into the US.**

**She was not escaping violence, she was not seeking asylum, and she was never separated from her child, despite paying a coyote $6,000 to cross the border illegally -- basically supporting organized crime. She just wanted leave her husband (he was not abusive), did it without his involvement, all to get US welfare, and maybe a job and definitely her child in US schools. Basically the entire opposite of the "bleeding heart" narrative that says, "Oh, we need to help these people escaping violence."

The more the US media lies, the more people will look at Trump as the solution. I don't like that. I was actually against Trump's April 9th policy change (don't get me started). But the more the US lies, and the more it changes the narrative to an utterly false one in a supermajority of images and articles, the more people will backlash against it.

Just like in 2016.

No retirement announcements today, just another false alarm. Now back to the usual health-watch on Ginsburg.

He was an incumbent who lost re-election. Doesn't matter how he got into office.

True enough, but every one of the other incumbents who were not reelected in the last hundred years had other common denominators so he is an outlier.

Bush 1: economic problems, 3rd party candidate

Carter: economic problems

Hoover: economic problems

Taft: 3rd party candidate

Ford had neither of those working against him so has to be taken with a different level of scrutiny.

True enough, but every one of the other incumbents who were not reelected in the last hundred years had other common denominators so he is an outlier.

Bush 1: economic problems, 3rd party candidate

Carter: economic problems

Hoover: economic problems

Taft: 3rd party candidate

Ford had neither of those working against him so has to be taken with a different level of scrutiny.
Huh? Ford's economy sucked ass. It was certainly worse than GHWB's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT