ADVERTISEMENT

At what point is the hyperbole too much for you?

CommuterBob

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Aug 3, 2011
Stuck in traffic
At his ceremony for signing his latest EO regarding business regulations, Trump had this to say:
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/...egulation-two-must-be-revoked-234365?cmpid=sf
“As you people know better than anybody, it’s almost impossible now to start a small business. And it’s virtually impossible to expand your existing business because of regulations,” Trump said.

I get that it isn't easy, but "virtually impossible?" That's too much of an exaggeration. New small businesses are started every day.

As for the "for every new regulation, two must be removed" idea. I actually like it, but if its anything like dealing with the railroads, who have a similar policy regarding at-grade road crossings, all it will do is stifle new regs.

Oh, and the opposition's hyperbole is just as bad. Claiming that this EO will cancel clean water and environmental regs. Jeez.

We all need to get a grip.

Reactions: UCFhonors
Regulating some industries makes sense. For example - the banks. I'm 100% with Bernie on that one. Those guys are outright white-collar crooks that continue to get away with crimes they should be locked up for.

Regulating some industries makes sense. For example - the banks. I'm 100% with Bernie on that one. Those guys are outright white-collar crooks that continue to get away with crimes they should be locked up for.
Banks are difficult because it seems they really don't care about paying fines and it's difficult to pin the wrongdoing on an individual for criminal charges. The US has taken a hard stand on foreign banks that affect US interests, such as the Dollar-Clearing ban on the French bank BNP. Hopefully regulators use similar harsh penalties on domestic banks but I'm not holding my breath.

A ban on 7 countries out of 47 Muslim majority is a Muslim ban
It is not a "muslim ban", it is just a ban that is stupid. Trump is acting just like the NCAA: violation by a P5 team (Saudi Arabia), punishment to a G5 school (Yemen et al). I would like to see how many terrorists that have attacked the US (or had planned to) were from the 7 countries vs Saudi Arabia. I also wonder if you having a reservation at a Trump hotel gives you free pass.
Reminds me of Bush, who declared war on Iraq when he should have attacked Afghanistan

It is not a "muslim ban", it is just a ban that is stupid. Trump is acting just like the NCAA: violation by a P5 team (Saudi Arabia), punishment to a G5 school (Yemen et al). I would like to see how many terrorists that have attacked the US (or had planned to) were from the 7 countries vs Saudi Arabia. I also wonder if you having a reservation at a Trump hotel gives you free pass.
Reminds me of Bush, who declared war on Iraq when he should have attacked Afghanistan
When did UCF try to blow up the US?

SMDH

And to think, 25 years ago people were making fun of a Vice President calling him stupid because he used an alternate spelling of potato(e). Now we have a President who makes up quotes about the Civil War attributed to a President who died nearly 2 decades before it happened.

SMDH

And to think, 25 years ago people were making fun of a Vice President calling him stupid because he used an alternate spelling of potato(e). Now we have a President who makes up quotes about the Civil War attributed to a President who died nearly 2 decades before it happened.

I guess we'all just have to continue to shake our heads. He's not the brightest crayon in the box and the dumbass is going to say more stuff like this over the next four years until Mark Zuckerberg beats his ass in 2020 for the presidential championship of the world.

Reactions: MACHater02
I guess we'all just have to continue to shake our heads. He's not the brightest crayon in the box and the dumbass is going to say more stuff like this over the next four years until Mark Zuckerberg beats his ass in 2020 for the presidential championship of the world.
I thought Opra was going to run.

Trump responded:

Somebody needs to tell him that he really doesn't need to respond to every single criticism. But he's a narcissist, so...

Trump responded:

Somebody needs to tell him that he really doesn't need to respond to every single criticism. But he's a narcissist, so...

Not sure what he even means. Jackson had to deal with a lot of north/south pissing over slavery, and his attempt to annex Texas (a slave state) was a huge issue with northern abolitionists, but there was no notion of a full blown Civil War at time of his death in 1845. States didn't even leave the Union until 1861.

Not sure what he even means. Jackson had to deal with a lot of north/south pissing over slavery, and his attempt to annex Texas (a slave state) was a huge issue with northern abolitionists, but there was no notion of a full blown Civil War at time of his death in 1845. States didn't even leave the Union until 1861.
No idea. Supposedly Jackson averted Civil War during his presidency, but that is really overblown as South Carolina refused to enforce Federal tariffs and Jackson sent the army to force them to. It certainly wasn't about slavery, which was the cause of the Civil War.

I really have to wonder what Trump meant by Jackson having "a big heart" considering he owned over 150 slaves and killed thousands of Indians.

Reactions: UCFWayne
He's not wrong, Andrew Jackson was a Nationalist and strong opponent to secession. But he didn't need to go there in the first place. Get out of the weeds!
True, Jackson was a strong Unionist, but he was also a huge proponent of slavery. That was they key issue in the secession of 1861, which precipitated the Civil War. I don't think anyone would know how Jackson would have fallen on the issue.

Reactions: Great2BAKnight2

Banks are one of the most regulated industries. In the central of the industry is the largest government created monopolies. So, if you think banks are crooked then you should be blaming the regulations - not supporting regulation.

True, Jackson was a strong Unionist, but he was also a huge proponent of slavery. That was they key issue in the secession of 1861, which precipitated the Civil War. I don't think anyone would know how Jackson would have fallen on the issue.
Good point. Impossible to say whether his social stance or political position would win out in that situation. Jackson did foresee the Slavery clash though. I had to dig on the web but I found the letter he sent in 1833 after the Tariff crisis.

Letter of Andrew Jackson to Reverend A J Crawford
"WASHINGTON, May 1, 1833.
MY DEAR SIR:
I have had a laborious task here, but nullification is dead; and its actors and courtiers will only be remembered by the people to be execrated for their wicked designs to sever and destroy the only good Government on the globe, and that prosperity and happiness we enjoy over every other portion of the world. Haman's gallows ought to be the fate of all such ambitious men who would involve their country in civil war, and all the evils in its train, that they might reign and ride on its whirlwinds and direct the storm. The free people of these United States have spoken, and consigned these wicked demagogues to their proper doom. Take care of your nullifiers; you have them among you; let them meet with the indignant frowns of every man who loves his country. The tariff, it is now known, was a mere pretext—its burden was on your coarse woolens. By the law of July, 1832, coarse woolen was reduced to five per cent, for the benefit of the South. Mr. Clay's bill takes it up and classes it with woolens at fifty per cent., reduces it gradually down to twenty per cent., and there it is to remain, and Mr. Calhoun and all the nullifiers agree to the principle. The cash duties and home valuation will be equal to fifteen per cent, more, and after the year 1842, you pay on coarse. woolens thirty-five per cent. If this is not protection, I cannot understand; therefore the tariff was only the pretext, and disunion and a southern confederacy the real object. The next pretext will be the negro or slavery question.

My health is not good, but is improving a little. Present me kindly to your lady and family and believe me to be your friend. I will always be happy to hear from you.
Andrew Jackson"

Good point. Impossible to say whether his social stance or political position would win out in that situation. Jackson did foresee the Slavery clash though. I had to dig on the web but I found the letter he sent in 1833 after the Tariff crisis.
John Adams and Thomas Jefferson foresaw the slavery clash, too, as did James Madison. It was the 800 lb gorilla in the room since the beginning.

John Adams and Thomas Jefferson foresaw the slavery clash, too, as did James Madison. It was the 800 lb gorilla in the room since the beginning.
Agreed. Legal importation of slaves ended in 1808 and abolition efforts began before that, it was a contentious issue from the beginning. Jackson is the first I've seen to predict those states would use it as a reason to secede, similar to the attempt in 1833.

At his ceremony for signing his latest EO regarding business regulations, Trump had this to say:
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/...egulation-two-must-be-revoked-234365?cmpid=sf

I get that it isn't easy, but "virtually impossible?" That's too much of an exaggeration. New small businesses are started every day.

As for the "for every new regulation, two must be removed" idea. I actually like it, but if its anything like dealing with the railroads, who have a similar policy regarding at-grade road crossings, all it will do is stifle new regs.

Oh, and the opposition's hyperbole is just as bad. Claiming that this EO will cancel clean water and environmental regs. Jeez.

We all need to get a grip.

Does politicians blatantly lying surprise you? Or are you surprise that nobody cares about politicians lying?

No politician ever? You sure?

Can you name someone else that had the media in full attack mode 90% of the time? I'm sort of young so I don't remember anyone in my lifetime and with that said it's pretty much impossible for another politician to have faced this type of opposition from the media before the advent of social media and 24 hour second by second stories and commentary.

Can you name someone else that had the media in full attack mode 90% of the time? I'm sort of young so I don't remember anyone in my lifetime and with that said it's pretty much impossible for another politician to have faced this type of opposition from the media before the advent of social media and 24 hour second by second stories and commentary.
Awww... boo freaking hoo. Trump brings it on himself. If he stays off of twitter/facebook (like he promised to do), and if he just lets some attacks go (like virtually everyone else who has ever held political office does), and doesn't respond to every single criticism, and gets his staff on message and sticks to it, he likely doesn't have this problem. But he cast aspersions on the media and guess what? They're not going to stand for it.

No politician ever? You sure?

There is just something off with the way he thinks. He's the most grandiose person I've every witnessed. Everything he does is "the best", "the biggest", "the greatest", etc. He described the chocolate cake he eats at Mar-a-Lago as "the most beautiful piece of chocolate cake that you've ever seen". Who thinks like that....all....the...time.

So to feed into his ideology.....he's the greatest "one-upper" ever to live.

Reactions: CommuterBob

He brought it on himself. Not only did he corral them in a pen and mock them, but also encouraged his followers to berate them, in which they did and sometimes got physically violent towards reporters.

No one will disagree with you that the media ultimately leans left but you can't treat them like cattle and expect them to just lie down and take it. The media hates Trump not only for his controversial stances but because of how the reporters were treated during the campaign. You reap what you sow.

I don't excuse his statement at all, and he should have never ever made it , but to just throw it out there alone without the rest of it is pretty misleading in that he did have a point to make about pressing forward , not giving up etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT