ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Recruiting Thread

I didn't watch G'town play last season, so I'm gonna ask you guys this. Why do you say he was terrible when his stats show him to be the same or better in most categories than when he was at UCF?

anyway I would take the best wing in the world and a mediocre point guard over the best point guard in the world and mediocre wing. the all world wing is a cheat code because more times than not they can run the team.
I didn’t study his numbers. I watched the games. He wasn’t playing much until guys started leaving team.

Just looked at the roster and I count 7 scholarship seniors this year. I know we'll leave at least a couple spots open for transfers (maybe more). But one commit seems really low right now for that number of seniors leaving. I know things are a lot more difficult this year with AAU getting interrupted and all that but I hope we're in on a handful of kids.

Just looked at the roster and I count 7 scholarship seniors this year. I know we'll leave at least a couple spots open for transfers (maybe more). But one commit seems really low right now for that number of seniors leaving. I know things are a lot more difficult this year with AAU getting interrupted and all that but I hope we're in on a handful of kids.
We will be getting more but if football is letting kids stay, basketball will as well.

I didn't watch G'town play last season, so I'm gonna ask you guys this. Why do you say he was terrible when his stats show him to be the same or better in most categories than when he was at UCF?

anyway I would take the best wing in the world and a mediocre point guard over the best point guard in the world and mediocre wing. the all world wing is a cheat code because more times than not they can run the team.
I don't think Allen was terrible at Georgetown. Someone else holds that opinion. What I said was that his transfer to Georgetown hurt UCF

It also had to suck for Allen. He went from a stable program, where he knew what was expected of him, knew the offense and defense, to a team that turned into a sh!t show less than 10 games into the season.

I didn’t study his numbers. I watched the games. He wasn’t playing much until guys started leaving team.
I went and looked at his numbers. First 8 games he was playing 15 minutes or less. Then guys started leaving and he was forced to play 30 minutes a game. His numbers were the same roughly but wouldn’t have been if Ewing had more than 8 guys he could use. I don’t think we would have been too much better with him last year. Our Guards are good. After Smith got into foul trouble or was taking a rest, didn’t seem to me our bigs were consistent enough. I thought Bol would have done something but never saw floor. Doumbia played well in spurts and so did Diggs but I think we are a big away from being a solid team.

Awesome! I was wondering if he is as good as BJ Taylor was? I wonder which of the BIGS will step up for us with Collin gone? Thoughts?
I think they're pretty similar for the most part. Johnson is a little stronger than BJ Taylor was coming out of HS.

Like Taylor, Johnson is a high scoring, strong lead guard in HS. However Johnson is doing it against tougher competition game after game. Taylor was faster end to end.

I expect Johnson to start Day 1. He, Darin Greene, Jr. and Isaiah Adams will be a really good trio for UCF. All played in the same Orlando based AAU program.

I like Tyrone. Good kid and he really improved over the summer and showed flashes of shot making ability and improved ball skills. He is a mobile, bouncy, active 4-man who runs the floor, finishes above the rim, is a capable shot blocker, and rebounds out of his area. Offensive skills still have a ways to go but he is a worker.

Having said all of that, I would redshirt him if I was the head coach at any of the schools on his list.

Baker moved from Florida to Texas where he has family so I don’t know who the trigger man is for his recruitment.

Reactions: Knightro20
I like Tyrone. Good kid and he really improved over the summer and showed flashes of shot making ability and improved ball skills. He is a mobile, bouncy, active 4-man who runs the floor, finishes above the rim, is a capable shot blocker, and rebounds out of his area. Offensive skills still have a ways to go but he is a worker.

Having said all of that, I would redshirt him if I was the head coach at any of the schools on his list.

Baker moved from Florida to Texas where he has family so I don’t know who the trigger man is for his recruitment.
Western Ky is good enough to redshirt him?

Western Ky is good enough to redshirt him?
I think so.

Three straight 20 win seasons.

Multiple neutral court wins over HM programs the past three seasons including a 30-win Purdue team, a Wisconsin team that was a No. 5 seed. They seem to own Arkansas.

Remember that season UCF went to the NCAA Tournament? UCF lost to Western Kentucky that season on a neutral court.

WKU landed this 👇🏾 guy

So, yeah, I think WKU is good enough to redshirt him.

Dayton redshirted Obi Toppin. His senior year he was the National POY & became a lottery pick last night.

Sometimes redshirting is just a good idea.

I think so.

Multiple neutral court wins over HM programs the past three seasons including a 30-win Purdue team, a Wisconsin team that was a No. 5 seed. They seem to own Arkansas.

Remember that season UCF went to the NCAA Tournament? UCF lost to Western Kentucky that season on a neutral court.

WKU landed this 👇🏾 guy

Dayton redshirted Obi Toppin. His senior year he was the National POY & became a lottery pick last night.

If Bassey returns , Baker will automatically be 2nd tallest player on roster. If not, they will have to play small ball. Baker is 6’9” , next tallest is 6’7”. 6’7” PF is tough to stop people down low. I don’t see them redshirting him unless they sign college ready bigs for next year.

I think so.

WKU landed this 👇🏾 guy

UCF beat them. https://wkusports.com/news/2018/11/...n-myrtle-beach-invitational-championship.aspx

If Bassey returns , Baker will automatically be 2nd tallest player on roster. If not, they will have to play small ball. Baker is 6’9” , next tallest is 6’7”. 6’7” PF is tough to stop people down low. I don’t see them redshirting him unless they sign college ready bigs for next year.
Admittedly I don't know much about the WKU roster or who they are recruiting or targeting on the transfer market. For all I know their 6-foot-7 PF has Draymond Green type length.

You asked if I thought WKU was good enough to redshirt him and I stand by my answer. Will they redshirt him if Baker signs with them? 🤷🏾‍♂️

Rick Stansbury will figure it out.

I think they're pretty similar for the most part. Johnson is a little stronger than BJ Taylor was coming out of HS.

Like Taylor, Johnson is a high scoring, strong lead guard in HS. However Johnson is doing it against tougher competition game after game. Taylor was faster end to end.

I expect Johnson to start Day 1. He, Darin Greene, Jr. and Isaiah Adams will be a really good trio for UCF. All played in the same Orlando based AAU program.
Johnson finally starting and looking comfortable. He looked out of sorts until last game.

When is JD going to recruit better players? Does he need a bigger budget? If so, then give it to him. My goodness, we are going to get smoked in the Big12.

Reactions: KRH55
ADVERTISEMENT