ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Recruiting Thread

He would be good but he isn't coming here.
He’s had some injury problems. Something going on at Georgetown. 5 players transferring in one year. A couple were disciplinary issues but if he played for Ewing he’d play for Dawkins. Not everyone has roster spots open thought now. Narrows down his options.

Although it’s always nice to have guys that can handle the ball in the rotation, McClung is not a huge difference-maker (imo).

Shot less than 40% from the field the last two seasons, had a relatively high usage rate without making many plays for others, and plays absolutely no defense.

He’s a big-time dunker who would bring some attention to the program, but I wouldn’t want McClung taking any minutes away from Darin Green Jr (assuming he’s coming back) or Tony Johnson Jr. He’s a 6-2 shooting guard that can’t shoot or defend...

Although it’s always nice to have guys that can handle the ball in the rotation, McClung is not a huge difference-maker (imo).

Shot less than 40% from the field the last two seasons, had a relatively high usage rate without making many plays for others, and plays absolutely no defense.

He’s a big-time dunker who would bring some attention to the program, but I wouldn’t want McClung taking any minutes away from Darin Green Jr (assuming he’s coming back) or Tony Johnson Jr. He’s a 6-2 shooting guard that can’t shoot or defend...
Green is gone no? You don’t write a letter saying you’re leaving if your plan is to come back. Top kids are skipping college altogether now. Directly to G League.

Reactions: shacket
No, I don’t know personally what Green Jr. is thinking at the moment, but I think it’s a highly likely assumption he comes back. Yes, there is international money out there; I don’t know his financial situation. If he needs it now at this moment, then sure - good for him.

But remember, players are allowed to declare for the draft multiple times now without losing eligibility. It’s important for a lot of players to get that evaluation, and go through that process for their own information/betterment down the road. And because the combine, the early entry withdrawal deadline, workouts, etc have all been pushed back by the NBA, Green Jr. hasn’t really received that real experience.

Also, these top ‘prep to pros’ prospects you mentioned are electing to go to a special G-League select program, prospects that are elite five-star kids that would likely be one and done anyway. I don’t think that’s the same situation as Green Jr.

Obviously, I could be wrong. But once the actual NBA draft process resumes, I would expect Green Jr. to return. I don’t think posting something on social media thanking UCF necessarily means he’s not coming back.

Reactions: ahabmw
He’s had some injury problems. Something going on at Georgetown. 5 players transferring in one year. A couple were disciplinary issues but if he played for Ewing he’d play for Dawkins. Not everyone has roster spots open thought now. Narrows down his options.

Maclung is probably going to be one of the most sought after transfers this year, regardless of the faults in his game, I would be shocked if we make his top 3 list.

I don't know much about Green but his goodbye post made me think if he doesn't get the feedback he wants from the NBA evaluators that he will enter the transfer portal. I don't want this to happen but that was my read on it, his comments seemed pretty final/goodbye-ish.

I haven't followed UCF basketball since we lost to Duke. How are we looking over the next 1-2 years? I saw we got some decent recruits, what if we get the USC guy? Does this put us in the tournament?
I don’t foresee greatness. He’s a combo guard which does help replace Green but we need bigs. 3 bigs didn’t play at all. 1 dismissed, Alok not sure what happened and Bol who I thought would have played. He must be raw to have not seen floor at all. Diggs is ok. High motor. Off and on. Smith was good but I believe he’s testing draft waters. Without bigs we have next to no chance to make tourney.

Reactions: ahabmw and PhDee
6’6” kid from West Palm Forest Hill class of 21 wants to play at UCF. Good team and he probably grows a bit more. Hope coaches are watching him.

Reactions: GradyII
Elijah Weaver just announced he’s transferring to Dayton (UCF was in his top-3, he’s from Central Florida).

Don't blame him for going to Dayton, they have infinitely better fan support than Arkansas or us.

Reactions: Russ Wood
6’6” kid from West Palm Forest Hill class of 21 wants to play at UCF. Good team and he probably grows a bit more. Hope coaches are watching him.

Draper is a nice player. He’s a lanky, athletic wing. A glue guy who fills up the stat sheet. I like his feel for the game. He is a capable passer who also moves well without the ball. A Coach’s son, he plays with a good basketball IQ.

Imo Draper would fit well at an A-Sun, Southland Conference, maybe Horizon League program.

Draper is a nice player. He’s a lanky, athletic wing. A glue guy who fills up the stat sheet. I like his feel for the game. He is a capable passer who also moves well without the ball. A Coach’s son, he plays with a good basketball IQ.

Imo Draper would fit well at an A-Sun, Southland Conference, maybe Horizon League program.
FAU has been getting the better kids from South Florida that don’t go to “ better” schools. I’m sure they are recruiting him hard.

FAU has been getting the better kids from South Florida that don’t go to “ better” schools. I’m sure they are recruiting him hard.
FAU is not recruiting him at this point in time.

Tbh, With the way everyone is recruiting transfers now, I wouldn't be shocked to see him slip to a good D2 either.

FAU is not recruiting him at this point in time.

Tbh, With the way everyone is recruiting transfers now, I wouldn't be shocked to see him slip to a good D2 either.
If the Direct to G League works out for top kids, I’d expect more to do it next year. I think FAU will be recruiting him next year. He’ll be a top 5 recruit in Palm Beach County. Stats will get better.

Yeah he’s good. I think better than the PG that went to Illinois.
Definitely better than Trent Frazier when Frazier was a freshman. Marvel (pronounced: MAR-vell) Allen is bigger 6-foot-4 than Frazier 6-foot-1 and Allen is a high level athlete. Frazier used his basketball IQ, feel for the game and his "we are not losing" mentality to lead his team and get his points. He showed major stones when he hit that three-pointer at the buzzer to win the state championship in 2015.

The semifinal game between Wellington and McArthur was really good too.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
I've only Tweeted 75 times this month but probably 30 of them were yesterday (6/15) and 15 of them were today (6/16). Monday June 15 was the first day that Division I MBB coaches were permitted to have direct contact with members of the 2022 class.

Several of my Tweets were about kids being contacted by UCF, I don't think I Tweeted about any UCF offers however.

Donovan Draper and Dylan Canoville are nice players but I don't see either of them being major contributors at the AAC level. They're high level D2 guys who will probably get low major D1 offers.

Canoville plays hard, is athletic but at 6-foot-5 he is limited on the perimeter. He's more power forward than small forward.

Draper is a stat stuffing athletic glue guy. He's a wing with a good feel for the game, a capable passer, who knows how to move without the ball to get open. He's a Coach's son and it shows in how he plays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT