ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 Football Schedules drop Jan. 30

Our schedule really does set up for us to have a huge year.
I agree.

UCF has seven home games and five road contests.

Seven teams posted losing records in 2023 (New Hampshire went 6-5 and Iowa State 7-6).

The combined average record of opponents is 6-6.

No opponent won so much as a share of a division in its conference.

Arizona (10-3, 7-2) lost its head coach to Washington.

@West Virginia (9-4, 6-3), Utah (8-5, 5-4), @TCU (5-7, 3-6), and @Florida (5-7, 3-5) appear to be the toughest matchups at first glance.

Only Utah (13th), Arizona (48th), Iowa State (50th) and West Virginia (66th) ranked higher in Total Defense than UCF (81st).

Only Arizona (25th), Arizona State (36th), and West Virginia (46th) have Top 25 rushing defenses.

Last edited:
After doing a deep dive into the 2024 schedule, I am changing my position on a couple of takes.

Why is UCF bringing in 9 defensive backs on this cycle?

At first I thought it was to shore up the rush defense at the second level, I no longer think that is the case. Only two 2024 opponents had rushing offenses ranked in the Top 50 (Cincinnati, 5; Utah, 33). Utah had a pig-farming, walk-on at QB; Cincinnati had Emory Jones. Both teams project to be more balanced in 2024.

Statistically speaking, the UCF run defense will improve exponentially in 2024 because teams won't attack UCF on the ground.

UCF faces five of the most productive returning quarterbacks in the Big 12 in 2024: Noah Fifita, Arizona; Rocca Becht, Iowa State; Shedeur Sanders, Colorado; Cam Rising; Utah; and Garrett Green, West Virginia.

The group doesn't even include Arizona State's Jaden Rashada, who was a consensus Top 5 QB for the Class of 2023.

Why was UCF interested in FSU's Dennis Briggs Jr.?

I now think UCF wanted Briggs to add a pass rushing inside presence at defensive tackle,much like former UCF standout and current San Francisco 49er Kalia Davis.

Are we going to get any leaks today? @Brandon what have you heard? Can we at least get the weekday games like the ACC did with their release?
Spring practice starts March 11. That's all I got.

UCF @ West Virginia — Nov. 23

UCF’s Unique Home Slate:
UCF has five home Big 12 games, and four of them are against teams in the west (BYU, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona). With just how the schedules tend to work with those teams likely not traveling to Orlando and then another location the prior or following week, don’t be shocked if UCF plays most of these teams either before or after a BYE week.

Last edited:
Reactions: B R Knightz2
I like the slot of the first 2 games to get us ready. BUT the Byes are awful, earliest and latest bye weeks

This is a great schedule, here’s why.

We get a BYE right before our 2 hardest games that are also our last 2 games, WVU and Utah.

We get arguably our 2 easiest big 12 opponents (TCU and Colorado) before facing UF. We also get a BYE between TCU and Colorado.

Colorado opens against ND State, who lost in 2OT in the FCS championship last year, they will be gunning for Colorado. Then UC has to play at Colorado State and Nebraska, then Baylor at home before flying to Orlando. There’s a chance the wheels fall off of Colorado before they arrive in Orlando.

Defeating UF this year would be huge because they have an extremely hard schedule. If we can contribute to holding them out of a bowl game it would be a major win for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: KRH55
If UCF beats UF, I believe that would be the nail in the coffin for Napier. If UF loses out to both Miami and UCF, it will be interesting to see if he lasts the entire season. UF can deal with FSU and Miami having good/great seasons but they cannot deal with all 3 schools having a good seasons as that would imply they have staggered significantly.

Things I love about the schedule

- Not a single instance of B2B road games
- We play in a good road environment (TCU) before going to the swamp so we will get to go through traveling/hotel/gameday type stuff once before going to UF.
- If we have a good season, that Utah game the last week could be a play-in type game.
- Probably our 3 best opponents, Arizona, Utah, Colorado - are at home

A lot to like here. 10-2 probably gets us right up against the playoff line

UCF football schedule 2024

August 29 (Thursday): New Hampshire
September 7 (Saturday): Sam Houston (Family Weekend)
September 14 (Saturday): at TCU
September 28 (Saturday): Colorado
October 5 (Saturday): at Florida
October 12 (Saturday): Cincinnati (Military Appreciation Day)
October 19 (Saturday): at Iowa State
October 26 (Saturday): BYU (Homecoming)
November 2 (Saturday): Arizona (Space Game)
November 9 (Saturday): at Arizona State
November 23 (Saturday): at West Virginia
November 29 (Friday): Utah (Senior Knight)

I will add that the final two games (West Virginia and Utah) on the schedule will likely determine the winner of the Big 12.

Gus got himself a new Amen Corner. Utah is playing the role of uat.

I will also add that the schedule compares favorably to Auburn's 2013 schedule.

Both schedules open with two tuneups.

Tough first road test is followed by a BYE to make corrections.

Seven straight games, including a cupcake from Florida, are sandwiched among conference opponents in seven straight weeks of football on both schedules.

Difference is UCF gets a BYE before its two toughest games whereas the 2013 Auburn team had a BYE between the ugay and uat contests in 2013.

Aug. 31 Washington State
Sept. 7 Arkansas State
Sept. 14 Mississippi State
Sept. 21 at LSU
Bye
Oct. 5 Ole Miss
Oct. 12 Western Carolina
Oct. 19 at Texas A&M
Oct. 26 Florida Atlantic
Nov. 2 at Arkansas
Nov. 9 at Tennessee
Nov. 16 Georgia
Bye
Nov. 30 Alabama
Open dates:Sept. 28, Nov. 23

Last edited:
Things I love about the schedule

- Not a single instance of B2B road games
- We play in a good road environment (TCU) before going to the swamp so we will get to go through traveling/hotel/gameday type stuff once before going to UF.
- If we have a good season, that Utah game the last week could be a play-in type game.
- Probably our 3 best opponents, Arizona, Utah, Colorado - are at home

A lot to like here. 10-2 probably gets us right up against the playoff line
playoffs!? the invitational is for SEC and BIG teams plus the contractually obligated teams. The rich dont want to share the ad $ with ACC or BIGXII or anyone else.

Reactions: major.tom.foolery
I will also add that the schedule compares favorably to Auburn's 2013 schedule.

Both schedules open with two tuneups.

Tough first road test is followed by a BYE to make corrections.

Seven straight games, including a cupcake from Florida, are sandwiched among conference opponents in seven straight weeks of football on both schedules.

Difference is UCF gets a BYE before its two toughest games whereas the 2013 Auburn team had a BYE between the ugay and uat contests in 2013.

Aug. 31 Washington State
Sept. 7 Arkansas State
Sept. 14 Mississippi State
Sept. 21 at LSU
Bye
Oct. 5 Ole Miss
Oct. 12 Western Carolina
Oct. 19 at Texas A&M
Oct. 26 Florida Atlantic
Nov. 2 at Arkansas
Nov. 9 at Tennessee
Nov. 16 Georgia
Bye
Nov. 30 Alabama
Open dates:Sept. 28, Nov. 23

You know, the first thing that came to mind was how our schedule compares to the 2013 Auburn schedule. Thanks for helping me out on that.

• Haha
Reactions: U C to the F
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT