ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Wimbush isn’t going to start.

No surprises. Mack will start, wimbush will be 2nd string and at somepoint towards the end of the year DG will take that 2nd string spot. Wumbush is an athlete but not accurate.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
How was DG, Quadry, Mack? I’m dying for insight here!!!
Quadry and Wimbush were about equal. Wimbush looked lost at times. Held onto the ball and was “sacked” a few times. Couldn’t make quick decisions

DG was pretty accurate. Quick release and a tight spiral. He has a good arm and he’s quick. He’s better than Milton was at the same time. He’s the future and it may be sooner than later

He was the victim of a few drops. One would have been a beautiful TD
I agree, that Gabriel looks like he's the future, although his stats in the game overall probably weren't too impressive. He looks the most comfortable in the pocket, with the ability to make people miss in the backfield and then make plays with his arm much like Milton.

Reactions: Yaes
Did Mack seem to be more accurate than we last saw him? I've only seen that one td throw from him to Harris.
I thought Mack looked as if he is continuously progressing. He looked like he had a pocket presence. He didn’t try to run it

I agree, that Gabriel looks like he's the future, although his stats in the game overall probably weren't too impressive. He looks the most comfortable in the pocket, with the ability to make people miss in the backfield and then make plays with his arm much like Milton.
Yes. However, wouldn’t you say he looked like a 2017 Milton more than a 2016 Milton? No sailed throws or backwards runs

Still all that of Summer and Fall camp to go but wasn’t the knock on Wimbush he wasn’t accurate at ND? Come August I may be patting my own back again.

Reactions: Yaes and Ucfmikes
Honestly this is the news I wanted to hear. I wanted DG to be the best talent we have. Who knows how fall practice will go though.
I’m no expert, but I’ve at least watched enough football to know that he was fearless. He wasn’t meek or intimidated. He went after it. Running the ball, he was quick and shifty. He ran north/south. He threw a nice ball

Was there too as always. Gabriel is the future. And the present. Hands down the most poise and confidence and upside skill. He just looks and swaggers like a winner. Great touch. And he has that subtle Milton thickness even though not big size. Agree with the poster that said he looks ahead of Milton as a true fresh. UCF has three QBs that could play for Notre Dame. And Wimbush ain’t one of them. Mack was uneven and mediocre at best. Mack and Wimbush both seem like they play a second behind the developing play. I have Gabriel starting and QJ off the bench. And Milton on crutches next. No one else is close. IMHO.

Yeah. First post. But I’ve been here almost forever muttering under my breath. Be gentle.

I think Mack has to be given more credit. He literally opened up the game with 2 quick strikes that equaled 70 yards and a TD. Beautiful throws. Quadry had one as well. Wimbush had none

I agree with the assessment of DG. You can only evaluate what you see and that’s what a few posters have seen so far. Your eyes don’t lie.

Look.., if Wimbush isn’t accurate after 3 years at Notre Dame, then he is what he is

He couldn’t throw it vs Ball State. No excuses

I think Mack has to be given more credit. He literally opened up the game with 2 quick strikes that equaled 70 yards and a TD. Beautiful throws. Quadry had one as well. Wimbush had none

I agree with the assessment of DG. You can only evaluate what you see and that’s what a few posters have seen so far. Your eyes don’t lie.

Look.., if Wimbush isn’t accurate after 3 years at Notre Dame, then he is what he is

He couldn’t throw it vs Ball State. No excuses

Yeah. Those first two plays were electric!! But bot were just Hail Marys. More statement on the receiver and DB than QB. And the TD was a wounded duck wobbler. But credit to Mack it was on target.

Gabriel is the future. He looks the part. Had poise. Never looked rattled. He dumped the ball off a few times. He’s got some speed with his feet as well. Need to see him in real games to lay the “it” factor him but he looks to be the real deal.

Wimbush reminds me of Holman. Everything is basically a 90 mph fastball. He did throw an accurate corner route for a TD, though. He has only been here for roughly three months. He has much to learn of the living force.

Hard to tell anything more about Mack. Last year his weaknesses looked like any freshman: Not throwing to checkdown, standing in the pocket as it collapses and didn’t have good accuracy with his short routes. His deep balls looked great. Because you couldn’t contact the QB it was hard to really see him handle pressure. They were also not calling much. Defenders were being held and no flag. He also had one bad pick,

Quadry had one good drive but made some poor decisions as well. A bad pick. He’s got some touch.

Nobody separated themselves. Looks like they’ll keep competing for the job until August.

Our RB depth is sick. We’re 6 deep. Trillion looks super fast and has his dads cutting ability to go with it. He was the player that impressed me the most today.

Last edited:
I counted 6 sacks on Wimbush. But they gave him credit for one throwaway while getting hugged by an admiring D lineman.

Opening day jitters. Give all the kids some time. man, you guys are way too analytical this early on.
What are we too analytical about? Should we not write anything and just say how “swell” they all were

There’s always 1 or 2 of these posts

Jitters? We weren’t exactly playing Alabama in front of 100,000.

Mack has played big games

Wimbush has played for Notre Dame

We are raving about how “not jittery” DG was

Did he play a lot of TE today?

I think so, it has been discussed at length that he has been moved to TE. I cant say for sure exactly how he lined up today though......at 6'6" with 4.5 speed he will be a freakish mismatch

I think so, it has been discussed at length that he has been moved to TE. I cant say for sure exactly how he lined up today though......at 6'6" with 4.5 speed he will be a freakish mismatch
Cool. Yeah, KZ mentioned it in an interview this week that he might play some TE. Kindve what I hoped would happen with Marlon, but Harris will work just fine.

Reactions: JAFFX2
Was there in person. It’s always hard to tell who is running with and against the first and second strings. Our consensus is that DG looks so solid. And unlike the rest of the QBs, is fast on his feet. Other guys are quick when running but not fast like DG. Beautiful touch and release. DG looks so much like KZ now that it’s scary. All of the QBs look solid. I’m the fan of an SEC team and any of the 4 would be the likely starter for it.

Reactions: Yaes
DG ran for 30 yards. Not bad when a to touch ends the play

How was DG, Quadry, Mack? I’m dying for insight here!!!

Here is my take......nobody separated them self from the pack today but based upon what I saw today Mack would probably start if a decision were made now. That said there is a long way to go and plenty of room for improvement across the board. The quick whistle sacks make it very difficult to simulate game dynamics but are necessary. Wimbush gave up entirely too many fake sacks, but given the circumstances the quick whistles did not allow him to showcase his scrambling ability. It is very difficult to compare effectiveness when you don't really know who each QB was playing with/against on the depth chart. The D seemed pretty vanilla, but appeared to be getting decent pressure. No surprise, Wimbush is not consistently accurate, he did throw a few nice ones to the RBs and had a nice touch TD to the corner of the end zone. He is a stud on designed QB runs. Quadry made a few mistakes but overall played solid and throws a very nice ball. He had a really nice 70+ yard TD on a nice route by Rasheen Lewis. I can't see how Gabriel doesn't red shirt, but there is no doubt he is dynamic and has tremendous upside potential. He is poised and already has a nice pocket presence. His scrambling ability and designed run capability is very similar to KZ. He was the only QB to not have a TD scoring drive. It would have appeared to me that early on in the game Q and Gabriel were given more time while the ones were in the game perhaps because they had the least game experience and the coaches wanted to see what they could do.

Last edited:
I’m glad that Heupel gave the reps to the guys who needed the reps. No reason to give Killins, McCrae, and Otis a bunch of reps. I expect Otis to be the #2 guy this year. Thompson will be what Taj was.

Wonder who will take Snelson’s place?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT