ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking the G5 Ceiling

CFKnight

Silver Knight
Aug 5, 2009
It feels like there is a ceiling for G5 teams. It simply doesn’t feel like a G5 team can legitimately have a resume that busts into the CFP. We will always be relegated to the NY6 G5 champion slot.

Can Luke Fickell and Cincy break into the CFP with an undefeated season with a marque win over ND?

Does Gus Malzahn have enough media love to have UCF break into the CFP? Does Gus need multiple undefeated seasons to get in or can he do it in a single season because of the respect his name commands and media clout?

Is TMo right, UCF’s currently OOC is too weak to be in the conversation? That we need something like Cincy @ ND.

I truly think the only team who’s had a shot was Houston when they beat top 10 OU and Louisville in one season.

Having good OOC opponents, having them ranked when you play them, And winning out is what it would take - and that’s a very big ask.

I truly think the only team who’s had a shot was Houston when they beat top 10 OU and Louisville in one season.

Having good OOC opponents, having them ranked when you play them, And winning out is what it would take - and that’s a very big ask.

What bugs me is UCF and Cincy can beat multiple Top25 AAC opponents and it doesn’t seem to count for squat.

It has to be a Top25 P5 or it’s not counted as a great win. Our conference can produce multiple Top25 teams just like the ACC.

What bugs me is UCF and Cincy can beat multiple Top25 AAC opponents and it doesn’t seem to count for squat.

It has to be a Top25 P5 or it’s not counted as a great win. Our conference can produce multiple Top25 teams just like the ACC.

Doesn't help when AAC goes 1-5 in bowls with only win over FAU.

Tulsa lost to one of the worst sec teams in Miss St, and some argue Tulsa would have been AAC Champs if game against Cincy at home wasn't canceled.

It feels like there is a ceiling for G5 teams. It simply doesn’t feel like a G5 team can legitimately have a resume that busts into the CFP. We will always be relegated to the NY6 G5 champion slot.

Can Luke Fickell and Cincy break into the CFP with an undefeated season with a marque win over ND?

Does Gus Malzahn have enough media love to have UCF break into the CFP? Does Gus need multiple undefeated seasons to get in or can he do it in a single season because of the respect his name commands and media clout?

Is TMo right, UCF’s currently OOC is too weak to be in the conversation? That we need something like Cincy @ ND.

Nope won't happen. We can already pencil in OSU, BAMA, Clemson almost yearly and they won't bypass another conference for the AAC no matter how good we are. Its just the system that is dealt and its not good for the game. Cincy's case would be bigger if they won the bowl game but they didn't and will be used against them even thought they say each season is different. But no way they take a seat away from a P5 conference for the AAC in that final spot. I honestly hate it but its always fun to be beating down the door.

Last edited:

We need to focus on getting back to the top of the conference first and going to a NY6 personally. We had back to back losses to Tulsa and Cincy. Gotta climb back to the top of the conference first.

It takes a need. Why does the P5 need us (UCF, Cincy, Houston)? Do they receive more revenue or round out a conference by adding any of us?

We need to focus on getting back to the top of the conference first and going to a NY6 personally. We had back to back losses to Tulsa and Cincy. Gotta climb back to the top of the conference first.

Way to Heupel the conversation, 1-0 lol. Of course we need to take care of business in the conference. Can’t lose multiple conference matchups.

Gus set the bar at Championships and knocking on the CFP door.

National media seems to support Gus at UCF in a way I haven’t seen coaching hires at UCF. He is the most beloved UCF coach in the media’s eyes. I feel like that will translate to receiving votes in the preseason polls. I think having Gus will give us an edge in the CFP committee’s eyes as well. The Gus national brand is strong and it gives UCF and perception advantage we didn’t have before.

Reactions: U C to the F
Way to Heupel the conversation, 1-0 lol. Of course we need to take care of business in the conference. Can’t lose multiple conference matchups.

Gus set the bar at Championships and knocking on the CFP door.

National media seems to support Gus at UCF in a way I haven’t seen coaching hires at UCF. He is the most beloved UCF coach in the media’s eyes. I feel like that will translate to receiving votes in the preseason polls. I think having Gus will give us an edge in the CFP committee’s eyes as well. The Gus national brand is strong and it gives UCF and perception advantage we didn’t have before.
100% agree but in year one they need to get to the championship game and from than on its game on...build momentum! I'm fully on the Gus bus and I did in fact cringe at the 1-0 comment lol. One thing is for sure we all agree the potential for UCF is real.

Reactions: U C to the F
It takes a need. Why does the P5 need us (UCF, Cincy, Houston)? Do they receive more revenue or round out a conference by adding any of us?

Didn’t mean for this to be a realignment thread but I’ll entertain the nonsense.

Florida would be a new media market for the Big12. It would help recruiting for Big12 schools to visit Florida during the season. Florida during covid has been a sports haven, pandemic or not the state government wants sports to be played with fans in the stands.

Ohio is also a good football tv market. WVU vs Cincy was a significant rivalry for the Big East, Keg of Nails trophy.

I agree Houston adds nothing the Big12 doesn’t already have.

If ESPN or Fox told the Big12 the money makes sense to add Cincy and UCF then I think the Big12 makes a move.

Reactions: Endeavor.
The AAC going 1-5 in bowls like @Gwoz said definitely doesn't help the narrative. And while I wish the G5 teams were taking more seriously I also don't want to be given a shot and then getting dominated the way ND does every time they play one of the top 5 teams.

The 2017 team was special. KZ was at his best and we had NFL level talent on both sides of the ball. But In most years we are considerably undermanned to really give Alabama, Clemson, or Ohio State a real run for their money. I'm optimistic though if the brand continues to trend in the right direction and Gus can actually put a "fence" around the central Florida area we will really put the CFP in a tough spot. Finding a way to add that marquee OOC game against one of the traditional top teams in the P5 will go a long way to proving our point. And fingers crossed we aren't far off. For now I will be happy with taking back the AAC title.

The AAC going 1-5 in bowls like @Gwoz said definitely doesn't help the narrative. And while I wish the G5 teams were taking more seriously I also don't want to be given a shot and then getting dominated the way ND does every time they play one of the top 5 teams.

The 2017 team was special. KZ was at his best and we had NFL level talent on both sides of the ball. But In most years we are considerably undermanned to really give Alabama, Clemson, or Ohio State a real run for their money. I'm optimistic though if the brand continues to trend in the right direction and Gus can actually put a "fence" around the central Florida area we will really put the CFP in a tough spot. Finding a way to add that marquee OOC game against one of the traditional top teams in the P5 will go a long way to proving our point. And fingers crossed we aren't far off. For now I will be happy with taking back the AAC title.

And the ACC went 0-6 but you can pencil Clemson into the Top4, CFP bound.

No one cares about the Non-NY6 games. These money grab bowls are dying and irrelevant. I don’t think a single voter looks at the previous bowl record for the conference and makes there preseason poll. AAC is respected as the best G5 conference. UCF has been touted this off season as the best G5 job in the country.

Why should UCF be held down by the BYU loss when that coach isn’t here anymore? That era is over. Gus is here and he brought the media with him. We were the villain of college football for awhile there and now we have Gus who appears to be the Knight in Shining Armor for the program.

And the ACC went 0-6 but you can pencil Clemson into the Top4, CFP bound.

No one cares about the Non-NY6 games. These money grab bowls are dying and irrelevant. I don’t think a single voter looks at the previous bowl record for the conference and makes there preseason poll. AAC is respected as the best G5 conference. UCF has been touted this off season as the best G5 job in the country.

Why should UCF be held down by the BYU loss when that coach isn’t here anymore? That era is over. Gus is here and he brought the media with him. We were the villain of college football for awhile there and now we have Gus who appears to be the Knight in Shining Armor for the program.

With that logic 2017-2018 also doesn't exist.

Didn’t mean for this to be a realignment thread but I’ll entertain the nonsense.

Florida would be a new media market for the Big12. It would help recruiting for Big12 schools to visit Florida during the season. Florida during covid has been a sports haven, pandemic or not the state government wants sports to be played with fans in the stands.

Ohio is also a good football tv market. WVU vs Cincy was a significant rivalry for the Big East, Keg of Nails trophy.

I agree Houston adds nothing the Big12 doesn’t already have.

If ESPN or Fox told the Big12 the money makes sense to add Cincy and UCF then I think the Big12 makes a move.

My point is, yes, there is a ceiling - a hard one - because P5 doesn't need any of us. Not for revenue and not for realignment. I hate to be all Debbie Downer but that's reality.

Its also not solely a G5 issue, its anyone who isnt a blueblood issue on top of that. Just look at the teams who make it every year. Its a rotation of 6ish teams. And teams like Mich St, Washington and the few others that have made it in just to get wiped, helped that narrative. Even Wisconsin a few years ago who was undefeated(?) at one point in the season with a weakish schedule was a topic whether they should be in the top 4.

OOC is very important to break through. Building a solid OOC would take time. Once you start beating some of the “big boys”, the big boys won’t want to play because it hurts them to lose to a G5 team.

Yeah you are right ND should keep getting the shot. It not like they didn't blow it the last 6+times. Lets keep letting ND in and keeping undefeated teams out.

FYI you are just guessing at this OOC thing. You know who decides who the 4 are? They dont have to explain a damn thing and have no rules.

UCF should do whatever it wants to do. At the end of the day this invitational is just a rigged system to rain money on the privileged 5 schools.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Doesn't help when AAC goes 1-5 in bowls with only win over FAU.

Tulsa lost to one of the worst sec teams in Miss St, and some argue Tulsa would have been AAC Champs if game against Cincy at home wasn't canceled.
Come on, everyone knows the AAC teams weren’t motivated and were playing their freshman...they won’t hold it against us.

Well, we can’t go 10-3 or 6-4 in a year let alone in consecutive years while playing what you all are saying is a weak OCS. The narrative is false, UCF has typically always scheduled 2 P5 teams every year with an FCS home game. We have scheduled more P5 than any other G5 team I know of, at least one of the tops.

The playoff will never happen in the AAC or any G5 until expanded. At the very least you will have to dominate/undefeated in the best G5 AAC league for 3-4 years while being lucky enough to have some highly ranked P5 teams scheduled. Won’t happen...

Reactions: Knight Strength
I get the argument for 2 for 1s but I have zero faith it would pay off ranking-wise. Then our AD and coaches will see why DW made the arguments he made.

The only way I'm for it is IF it makes sense financially... which I think ADTMo mentioned in an interview.

Debbie Downer article here:
Looks like he has several articles about TN, maybe a connection? If he’s a TN fan, he’s prob just butt hurt UCF got paid by TN to upgrade their coach while paying for UCFs old turd coach. Prob just watched another boring Huepel interview of coach speak and blasted off on Gus.

**Scratch that I thought this was a FanSided article, my bad. This guy clearly wanted Lebby, Elliot or the like. I was in that boat too, but I can’t help but love everything Gus has done so far with recruiting, energy and staff hires.

Last edited:
Looks like he has several articles about TN, maybe a connection? If he’s a TN fan, he’s prob just butt hurt UCF got paid by TN to upgrade their coach while paying for UCFs old turd coach. Prob just watched another boring Huepel interview of coach speak and blasted off on Gus.
never heard of banner society....

I would have been onboard with Lebby etc but no way he assembles a staff like Malzahn. But all that matters is Ws and Ls in the end

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT