ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly To UF

If Frost leaves, I'm not gonna be shedding any tears. Some lucky bastard is gonna walk into a turn-key operation with a AD that is providing all the possible support he can.

If he doesn't leave, I'm taking on the challenge of seeing how quickly I can get banned from the Husker Board.
I agree 100%, but i fully expect him back for 2018. After that, it's his loss if he wants to hand this amazing creation over to someone else

That's just it. I don't see how you walk away from a loaded team into a sh*tshow when Frost can go to Nebraska anytime he wants. They would let Riley have another year or 2 if Frost said that he is coming.

....and who knows? Maybe the idea of continuing to build at UCF is something he ends up preferring to do right now.

Emphatically, for a fact, Riley will not be back. If Frost does want to coach at NU, this is his shot. He would have to hope that the next coach fails (if he stays at UCF). I will say this, NU AD ain't Fing around this time. They will open the checkbook. So if he says "no thanks", that opportunity may not come for quite some time....especially if the next coach is successful.

It's a tough decision I am sure.

Reactions: FrostTroll
Another quirk in the schedule is this B12 championship. Oklahoma is going to have to play one of the teams it beat already in a "Big 12 championship in Dallas", most likely TCU who it just beat. If TCU beats OU on a neutral field and keeps the B12 out of the CFP, they may just make another knee-jerk reaction and grab UCF with another school.

Reactions: JAFFX2
....and who knows? Maybe the idea of continuing to build at UCF is something he ends up preferring to do right now.

Emphatically, for a fact, Riley will not be back. If Frost does want to coach at NU, this is his shot. He would have to hope that the next coach fails (if he stays at UCF). I will say this, NU AD ain't Fing around this time. They will open the checkbook. So if he says "no thanks", that opportunity may not come for quite some time....especially if the next coach is successful.

SF will always have a shot to coach Nebraska. He's like the hot girl in high school that knows that she can get any boy she wants.

I don't think its a matter of the checkbook though. I understand that Nebraska fans really believe they are dream job for any coach, not just the ones from Nebraska. Hell, even Notre Dame was striking out left and right for a few years after Lou because coaches didn't think they could win there. They finally got Kelly, who was not an established Big name P5 coach. He was a Div II guy and Big East coach at Cinci. Nebraska is a tough sell for a big name coach because of all the things we've mentioned over and over. And you're not outspending UF and Tennessee. You just aren't.

Honestly, if it's not Frost or Leach, I really have no idea what big name coach would be interested.

Reactions: clmssun

He is only 42 with 2 years of head coaching experience. Time is on his side

Look at this from a different POV. The idea that Scott attended NU, won the NC at NU and is NU born and bred is obviously a great story. Hometown kid coming back. Maybe he's an excellent coach there, but what if he's not? I find Scott to be a very methodical guy, so who knows how he processes that endeavor. Maybe he's all in, and we are all delusional here thinking he'll stay, or maybe he sees it differently and realizes he may not want to ruin the magic so to speak. It's like people who love Disney. Some move down to Florida to work there. Maybe they love it and it never goes away, but sometimes people see how the sausage is made and become sort of cynical and a bit of that magic dies off. We have no idea if that's how Scott may view this. He's a young guy, what if they don't live up to expectations and after the novelty wears off he's another coach kicked to the curb in this carousel of a business. We all love our alma mater through thick and thin, but it's probably difficult for any of us to empathize being in a position where you *work* for your alma mater, and your performance management is quite different from that of a regular employee.

Interesting note on Kelly, other than oregon, ESPN and ucf people, the only people Kelly follows on Twitter are current commits from the 2018 class for UF (Matt Corral, Amari Burney and 2-3 others). This tells me hes probably talked to these kids over DM.

Guy only follows like 30 people on twitter, yet 5 of his follows are current UF recruits???????

Icing on the cake? Follows Scott Stricklin (UF AD)

Done deal.

All of these "rich" P5 programs offering 2.7-4-5 million. What's up with that?

UCF can offer 3.0 million

bc UF is not as rich as most think . Texas A&M blows them away with rich donors.

They also are just about to finish paying off Muschamp and will owe Mac

Reactions: Mikesi
bc UF is not as rich as most think . Texas A&M blows them away with rich donors.

All this debt is nuts. Bump Frost up to 2.5 million, give him $500,000 from the excellence fund (3 million), then 1 million to the assistants.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
All this debt is nuts. Bump Frost up to 2.5 million, give him $500,000 from the excellence fund (3 million), then 1 million to the assistants.

I would say THAT is where it is harder for the non P5 schools to compete....assistant salaries. What a good coach commands for a salary now has gotten insane.

So if he says "no thanks", that opportunity may not come for quite some time....especially if the next coach is successful.
Since TO, there have been coaches with 9 wins per year getting fired for lack of success, there have been coaches successful at previous and subsequent jobs fired by Nebraska, but, yes, Riley has not worked out well at Nebraska.

Given Nebraska's definition of success (must win 10 every year, apparently), their four recent coaching tenures, and the obstacles for Nebraska of the current landscape, I would not be too worried about the next coaching being "successful" (by Nebraska definition) long-term. Nebraska now is a lot more like Washington State than like Oklahoma (formerly quite similar); many people would say Leach has been "successful" at WSU ( a hard place to win, like Riley's relative success at Oregon State, another hard place to win), but it is quite apparent that few Nebraska fans have any interest in Leach.

I have read a few rational fans speaking of "patience" and "relaxed expectations"; that could allow for (a new definition of) "success". If the bar is still "ten wins per season", there will be another vacancy at Nebraska for Frost in two or three years.

You have to keep in mind....that is a BASE salary, too. I agree, though. NU was getting EXACTLY what they were paying for under the previous administration.

You have to keep in mind....that is a BASE salary, too. I agree, though. NU was getting EXACTLY what they were paying for under the previous administration.
Nebraska’s annual budget this year is $103 million across 20-some sports I believe. From what I’ve heard from donors (my uncle- and Husker HOF’er) is that Nebraska could go up to approx $7.5-$8 mil/yr for a head coach and be financially ok with it. One would think that bringing on a Husker great and a nationally known-up and coming HC would bring in additional donor revenue, and if success followed, additional revenue from more prominent bowl games would also be a contributor.

Since TO, there have been coaches with 9 wins per year getting fired for lack of success, there have been coaches successful at previous and subsequent jobs fired by Nebraska, but, yes, Riley has not worked out well at Nebraska.

Given Nebraska's definition of success (must win 10 every year, apparently), their four recent coaching tenures, and the obstacles for Nebraska of the current landscape, I would not be too worried about the next coaching being "successful" (by Nebraska definition) long-term. Nebraska now is a lot more like Washington State than like Oklahoma (formerly quite similar); many people would say Leach has been "successful" at WSU ( a hard place to win, like Riley's relative success at Oregon State, another hard place to win), but it is quite apparent that few Nebraska fans have any interest in Leach.

I have read a few rational fans speaking of "patience" and "relaxed expectations"; that could allow for (a new definition of) "success". If the bar is still "ten wins per season", there will be another vacancy at Nebraska for Frost in two or three years.

While there are always some dilusional fans in every fanbase, I think the vast majority of NU fans don't expect a 94-2001 type run. Most of us expect to win the games we are supposed to...and be competitive in the games we may not be expected to.

Bo was fired because 1) he was an a**hole, 2) he was getting his doors blown off against good competition, and 3) recruiting wasn't very good with him as the HC.

There is absolutely no reason NU should not be competing for BIG West titles most seasons. That will get you in the BIG title game....and occasionally get you a shot at the playoff.

I would be satisfied with NU getting to the level of even Wisconsin in 3 years or so. The problem for Riley is that, under his watch, this program has gone backwards.

For the first few years, I just want to see that we are trending in the right direction.

While there are always some dilusional fans in every fanbase, I think the vast majority of NU fans don't expect a 94-2001 type run. Most of us expect to win the games we are supposed to...and be competitive in the games we may not be expected to.

Bo was fired because 1) he was an a**hole, 2) he was getting his doors blown off against good competition, and 3) recruiting wasn't very good with him as the HC.

There is absolutely no reason NU should not be competing for BIG West titles most seasons. That will get you in the BIG title game....and occasionally get you a shot at the playoff.

I would be satisfied with NU getting to the level of even Wisconsin in 3 years or so. The problem for Riley is that, under his watch, this program has gone backwards.

For the first few years, I just want to see that we are trending in the right direction.
THIS!!!!!! I don’t understand how CFB fans think we’re still stuck in the 90’s....I mean, come on- let’s be realistic, what team in America would be “satisfied” with coaching staff that repeatedly gets railroaded In games against the higher tier teams in our own conference? When was the last time you saw a team from Nebraska do that for an entire game. Compete hard for all 4 quarters- don’t get blown out, win some, lose some. I don’t think any of us fully expect to go from 5-5 to 14-0 or something crazy like that. I just want a stable program, not a head coach that says “we haven’t had many issues with this team- besides the games” (and yes, Riley literally said that on Monday.

THIS!!!!!! I don’t understand how CFB fans think we’re still stuck in the 90’s....I mean, come on- let’s be realistic, what team in America would be “satisfied” with coaching staff that repeatedly gets railroaded In games against the higher tier teams in our own conference? When was the last time you saw a team from Nebraska do that for an entire game. Compete hard for all 4 quarters- don’t get blown out, win some, lose some. I don’t think any of us fully expect to go from 5-5 to 14-0 or something crazy like that. I just want a stable program, not a head coach that says “we haven’t had many issues with this team- besides the games” (and yes, Riley literally said that on Monday.
Unfortunately to do that, you either have to play to local prospects strong suits and play a better brand of football (non spread) or find some way in hell to convince great athletes to come to you. The second one is going to be very hard because in reality, not many good athletes, most of which reside in florida or california or texas, would jump to the occasion when on the other hand you have probably very relevant offers from USC, UF, FSU etc.

Its not like in the 80s and 90s when social media had no presence and you could convince kids to go to lincoln based on the name alone. Now they actually see the school, how cold it is, and how in the middle of nowhere it is and think "i could get all this, win games, not deal with the weather and actually have things to do over in Miami/LA".

The other reason you could do that is because....well we know how 80's and 90's recruiting went....with the "gifts" and somehow players had a few hundred/thousand extra bucks in their pocket and maybe a car.....

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Unfortunately to do that, you either have to play to local prospects strong suits and play a better brand of football (non spread) or find some way in hell to convince great athletes to come to you. The second one is going to be very hard because in reality, not many good athletes, most of which reside in florida or california or texas, would jump to the occasion when on the other hand you have probably very relevant offers from USC, UF, FSU etc.

Its not like in the 80s and 90s when social media had no presence and you could convince kids to go to lincoln based on the name alone. Now they actually see the school, how cold it is, and how in the middle of nowhere it is and think "i could get all this, win games, not deal with the weather and actually have things to do over in Miami/LA".

The other reason you could do that is because....well we know how 80's and 90's recruiting went....with the "gifts" and somehow players had a few hundred/thousand extra bucks in their pocket and maybe a car.....

You mean like Pullman, Washington where Leach has taken that dumpster fire of a team to very successful? Pullman is even more secluded than Lincoln is...next example? Need another? Iowa State as of this year...another yet? Boise St with Chris Petersen from 2006-2013 (92-12 ain’t bad).....that’s what kills me, everyone thinks it’s dang near impossible for Nebraska to be successful again. No. It’s not. And history around the country proves it, people just don’t want to see the correlation.

You mean like Pullman, Washington where Leach has taken that dumpster fire of a team to very successful? Pullman is even more secluded than Lincoln is...next example? Need another? Iowa State as of this year...another yet? Boise St with Chris Petersen from 2006-2013 (92-12 ain’t bad).....that’s what kills me, everyone thinks it’s dang near impossible for Nebraska to be successful again. No. It’s not. And history around the country proves it, people just don’t want to see the correlation.
They were both succesful in leagues where the giants were having incredibly sub par years. Anyone can have a good year, maybe two.

Please never mention boise state, their conference is as good as a 1999 toyota camry.

They were both succesful in leagues where the giants were having incredibly sub par years. Anyone can have a good year, maybe two.

Please never mention boise state, their conference is as good as a 1999 toyota camry.
My point with Boise State is that they competed hard, won the games they were supposed to and when the important games (see bowl vs OU as one example) they showed up, didn’t give up, and actually won. The Big 10 West Division is weak. There’s no reason why nebraska shouldn’t be close to competing for the right to at least GO to the B1G championship yearly- not sit behind Northwestern and give up 9 yards per carry to a Minnesota team that ranks 119th in offense in the NCAA.

Nah, Chris Petersen was 8-4 during his last year at Boise.
Did you see any part of Nebraska’s last 3 games? I’m pretty sure most if not all Husker fans would take 8-4 in a heartbeat right now, we’ve regressed so much as a team in the last year It’s not even funny. Why is it so “wrong” to want a team that doesn’t get blown out in a game or 2 every year? If that makes Husker fans “crazy” then so be it.

TAM blows everyone away at $190 million a year in revenue ($90 million in donations). UF is still top 5 at $150 million ($60 million in donations). By comparison, UCF is at $60 million a year in revenue. But it's not all about revenue. It's also about expenses. A lot of the P5 universities strive to have robust athletic programs in general. Basketball brings in some money, baseball is normally break even, and track, soccer, volleyball, tennis, swimming, golf, crew, lacrosse, rugby, wrestling, gymnastics, etc suck up as much much money as the university will give them. And then you have capital expenses like stadiums, fields, etc.

great point about this generation of recruits

#tmobileunlimiteddata
#uber
#lyft
#tinder

From what I am hearing, $4.5 is the base but it is loaded with incentives for reaching certain benchmarks. Plus, he is still getting paid by San Francisco, so unless we pay him $7 million plus, he isn't actually making any more money (whatever we pay him reduces the amount San Fran has to pay him). I think they wanted to keep his contract low so the other budgeted money could go towards hiring the best assistants available.

But here's a question. If UCF can pay Frost $3 million as you say, why aren't they?

Nebraska has 5 wins on the schedule next year max.

@ Michigan
@ Iowa
@ Ohio State
@ Northwestern
@ Wisconsin
Michigan State
Minnesota
Troy
Colorado

Nebraska would be underdogs in all these games this year. They have 2 good chances at wins next year, Akron and Illinois the rest will be a challenge to impossible for any coach with the current roster.

Nebraska has 5 wins on the schedule next year max.

@ Michigan
@ Iowa
@ Ohio State
@ Northwestern
@ Wisconsin
Michigan State
Minnesota
Troy
Colorado

Nebraska would be underdogs in all these games this year. They have 2 good chances at wins next year, Akron and Illinois the rest will be a challenge to impossible for any coach with the current roster.

Ah yes, all the reason to keep a Coach Riley that’s underachieved and failed in every facet of the game and has obviously lost the team. Continue to fail and accept failure- that’ll help things. Hence the reason Nebraska has made it known that they’re interested in Frost. My guess is Frost’s initial contact offer will be approx. 7yrs/$30mil. base salary with massive incentives.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT