ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching staff

So we only need 3 more coaches?

WR
DL
OLB
I don’t know how anyone else really felt about Shane Burnham but I really liked the guy. Wish we would retain him for DL. Don’t even know if he he’s still available or followed the turd to TN? He seemed like a good recruiter too, most of our top rated recruits seemed to be on the Dline.

Ok so Beede just sent an update, Strength and Conditioning does not fall into the 3.3M football budget.

CoachSalary Pos
Travis Williams$ 600,000DC / ILB
David Gibbs$ 450,000Co-DC / DB
Tim Harris Jr$ 325,000Co-OC / RB
Herb Hand$ 300,000OL
GJ Kinme$ 300,000Co-OC / QB
Brian Blackmon$ 275,000ST / TE
Addison Williams$ 250,000CB
------------
$ 3,300,000$ 2,500,000
76%​
$ 800,000
24%​

Last edited:
I remember playing them and how good Tulsa was at the time but I didn't remember Kinne. Looked him up and he played college football at Tulsa and threw for 9,472 yards and 81 touchdowns as a three-year starter for the Golden Hurricane from 2009-2011. Kinne was named the 2010 Conference USA Offensive Player of the Year and the MVP of the inaugural 2012 NFLPA Collegiate Bowl.

That 2011 year had 6 future NFL players from UCF on it, tho 2 had very short careers (Troy Davis had a pretty bad injury, and Plummer had a year or so).

Reactions: FoxKnight
That 2011 year had 6 future NFL players from UCF on it, tho 2 had very short careers (Troy Davis had a pretty bad injury, and Plummer had a year or so).

I remember watching Plummer in his first and last NFL game with the Washington Washingtons. He let a punt get blocked by a rb and had a punt bounce off of him for a turnover.. Man, I was so excited to see him play for my Washingtons.

I know that CINN had a really good QB just graduate but their program went past us with a HC and legit balanced approach to putting together a P5ish program.

Although we will be ejecting the "run and gun" type offense, a more balanced program will quickly come out of what we already have with this staff. Love the recruiting resumes of some of these coaching hires and they will go into all the hot recruiting spots in Fl. with all they have :)

I expect for us to see some very positive results in 2 years that will make take this program up a notch. Next season could be a big surprise for us because we will catch some of the programs that were getting used to our style of play by surprise. Not to mention we will have a better defense :)

I know that CINN had a really good QB just graduate but their program went past us with a HC and legit balanced approach to putting together a P5ish program.

Although we will be ejecting the "run and gun" type offense, a more balanced program will quickly come out of what we already have with this staff. Love the recruiting resumes of some of these coaching hires and they will go into all the hot recruiting spots in Fl. with all they have :)

I expect for us to see some very positive results in 2 years that will make take this program up a notch. Next season could be a big surprise for us because we will catch some of the programs that were getting used to our style of play by surprise. Not to mention we will have a better defense :)
Cincy QB Desmond Ridder is actually coming back for another year unfortunately. He’s an average qb, nothing special but his athleticism and running ability is really good and he just kills us b/c our LBs were too slow to contain. I’m most interested how the defense shakes out this year.

Overall this staff has a lot to like about it. When the last staff got put together I was like "who are these guys?" haha. There definitely were some exceptions including RS, Lebby, Kurt Shmidt, etc.

I'm also very happy with what they're getting paid and how we're structuring the Co-coordinator positions. Leaves room for guys to gain experience and get hired away, then promote from within or raise the pay of the sole-coordinator, etc.

Makes me even feel better about the Malzhan hire reading about all the coaching staff. Makes me wonder if we would be getting 'splashy' hires if another first time coach got hired by UCF. Lebby make these kind of hires? Who knows. Just fun to speculate that since Malzhan is well connecting that he is pulling in top talent. It definitely has helped keep the off-season interesting.

Makes me even feel better about the Malzhan hire reading about all the coaching staff. Makes me wonder if we would be getting 'splashy' hires if another first time coach got hired by UCF. Lebby make these kind of hires? Who knows. Just fun to speculate that since Malzhan is well connecting that he is pulling in top talent. It definitely has helped keep the off-season interesting.
I’ll answer your rhetorical question, CFD, “No.” Lebby would not be pulling in a staff like this from top to bottom. 😎 We’re reaping the benefit of Malzahn’s decades of mentoring athletes and coaches at the HS and college level.

This is a good point. Everyone wanted Lebby but I am not sure he could have put together a staff like this in February. You can argue he is a better playcaller but his staff probably would have had more Texas guys.

Staff complete!

Welcome aboard Kenny Ingram.

Travis Williams, defensive coordinator (Auburn/Miami, linebackers coach)

David Gibbs, co-defensive coordinator (Missouri, secondary coach)

Herb Hand, offensive line coach (Charlotte/Texas, offensive line coach)

Brian Blackmon, special teams coordinator and tight ends coach (Troy, special teams coordinator)

GJ Kinne, co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach (Hawaii, offensive coordinator)

Tim Harris, co-offensive coordinator and running backs coach (FIU, co-offensive coordinator and running backs coach)

Addison Williams, cornerbacks coach (Coastal Carolina, safeties coach)

Kenny Ingram, TBA defensive assistant

Darrell Wyatt, receivers coach (UCF)

Kenny Martin, TBA defensive assistant (Western Kentucky, defensive tackles coach)

Get ready. This looks from my perspective to be ALOT more exciting with this new staff than the one that had the team at 6-4 last season. I don't blame the previous position coaches although there was some sloppiness in play going on like penalties and sliding backwards in tackling skills.
What we saw with the last HC is it seemed like he couldn't direct the team to win the big games. This new approach hopefully will correct some of those things that where missing.

Get ready. This looks from my perspective to be ALOT more exciting with this new staff than the one that had the team at 6-4 last season. I don't blame the previous position coaches although there was some sloppiness in play going on like penalties and sliding backwards in tackling skills.
What we saw with the last HC is it seemed like he couldn't direct the team to win the big games. This new approach hopefully will correct some of those things that where missing.
I totally agree. Even in the 2018 undefeated regular season, with the team skill we had, they underperformed. Several games were close and I still believe we gave away the LSU game even with Mack in at QB. Several missed opportunities in that game. The 10-3 season blowing leads to Pitt, Cincy and Tulsa was a big let down. That should have been an undefeated season, just terrible play calling and lack of adjustments. Ever heard of a 3-3-5 Huepe? Then last year was just the sloppiest play I’ve ever seen in “All 3 Phases” as the slob used to say. Our special teams play was probably the worst slide of any phase, and that’s including our 2020 defense. What happened? That used to always be our strength, now can’t kickoff in bounds, can’t kick FG outside 35 yards (even extra points I hold my breath), can’t catch a punt, etc. Don’t even get me started on the pre-snap penalties or dumb player mental errors penalties. Anybody who didn’t see the old coaching staff was a poop show was really drinking the Kool-Aide, save a few (Lebby - who got out and Wyatt - who just left lol). I liked Burnham, but oh well.

I’m just so happy Huepe and Co. are gone. They couldn’t even recruit, what good were they...

I totally agree. Even in the 2018 undefeated regular season, with the team skill we had, they underperformed. Several games were close and I still believe we gave away the LSU game even with Mack in at QB. Several missed opportunities in that game. The 10-3 season blowing leads to Pitt, Cincy and Tulsa was a big let down. That should have been an undefeated season, just terrible play calling and lack of adjustments. Ever heard of a 3-3-5 Huepe? Then last year was just the sloppiest play I’ve ever seen in “All 3 Phases” as the slob used to say. Our special teams play was probably the worst slide of any phase, and that’s including our 2020 defense. What happened? That used to always be our strength, now can’t kickoff in bounds, can’t kick FG outside 35 yards (even extra points I hold my breath), can’t catch a punt, etc. Don’t even get me started on the pre-snap penalties or dumb player mental errors penalties. Anybody who didn’t see the old coaching staff was a poop show was really drinking the Kool-Aide, save a few (Lebby - who got out and Wyatt - who just left lol). I liked Burnham, but oh well.

I’m just so happy Huepe and Co. are gone. They couldn’t even recruit, what good were they...
it was weird scoring 50 and still somehow feeling helpless

I think special teams being weak is/was a sign that our depth wasn’t great, tbh.

Definitely seemed like there were only a couple of ST plays that were exciting (in a good way) after the Hughes return for a TD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT