ADVERTISEMENT

Cure Bowl Thread

You know what's more amazing, everytime the fan base criticized the team in its history they were wrong and the team they went on to be undefeated. Every single QB went on to be a Heisman candidate afterwards.

Wow though, my take had to be the absolute worse in the history of message boards :joy:

However, in my defense, I was drunk and pissed off

Seriously, Milton proved me wrong. Good for him!
:cheers2:

A lot of us wanted Milton gone and Frost to improve or leave as fast as possible. In the end it was an over reaction and we lost both before we wanted to. I’m giving Heupel another year and DG could improve this year. May not have to wait.

Reactions: UCFBS
A lot of us wanted Milton gone and Frost to improve or leave as fast as possible. In the end it was an over reaction and we lost both before we wanted to. I’m giving Heupel another year and DG could improve this year. May not have to wait.

This is precisely where I disagree.......your statement that "I am giving Heupel another year" has the tone that his critics are putting him on the hot seat as the HC. I think he is a great HC, maybe one of the best this program has ever seen. Just because I think he is stubborn and I think he needs to tweak his scheme and play calling to better utilize our team speed doesn't mean I don't support him 100% as the HC of this team going forward......I am confident he has enough football savvy to figure things out, the frustration is it shouldn't come at the risk of flushing this season.....unfortunately that has probably already happened.....unless we are content with a second or third tier bowl.........

Just don’t bump my “Fire Dawkins” take from the middle of last year and I’m good with this...

That being said, Heupel should want to take some of the heat off his players and onto his shoulders. I’d feel better if he came out and said he didn’t call his best game.

Reactions: UCFBS and Ucfmikes
Yepper. DG is a stud. The future is bright.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
All this thread tells us that is that a freshman QB that is struggling CAN become a stud. Many were wrong about Milton. Myself included. Poolside saw it, so props to him

So.., DG CAN become great. That’s why he’s not getting a lot of criticism here. He shouldn’t

By the way MACK can still become great as well even though last year he wasn’t a TRUE freshman. So.., let’s not be hypocritical towards him either

Reactions: JAFFX2
All this thread tells us that is that a freshman QB that is struggling CAN become a stud. Many were wrong about Milton. Myself included. Poolside saw it, so props to him

So.., DG CAN become great. That’s why he’s not getting a lot of criticism here. He shouldn’t

By the way MACK can still become great as well even though last year he wasn’t a TRUE freshman. So.., let’s not be hypocritical towards him either
By numbers alone DG is not struggling. Top 30 in nation.

This board is tough on DG. He's a true freshman and learning. Games this year is going to make him a better QB. :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight_Light
I agree with the DG take. He is going to be good, however, trashing this season just to get him some experience is not a good look for us. Maybe JH sees something in him and that is why he sticks with him when the rest of us want to some adjustments. In the end JH is the HC and the blame is squarely on him. I just hate to see the seniors get hosed if if he is just playing for DG's experience and next year's success. Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: lawknight
I agree with the DG take. He is going to be good, however, trashing this season just to get him some experience is not a good look for us. Maybe JH sees something in him and that is why he sticks with him when the rest of us want to some adjustments. In the end JH is the HC and the blame is squarely on him. I just hate to see the seniors get hosed if if he is just playing for DG's experience and next year's success. Just my humble opinion.
Trashing the season? The top 2 QBs from last year started the season injured and the grad transfer didn’t pan out. DG put us in the best situation to win. No turning back now unless he really crashes and burns.

Reactions: Knight_Light
I agree with the DG take. He is going to be good, however, trashing this season just to get him some experience is not a good look for us.
Define 'trashing'?

Losing 1 out of 2 P5s, the road game, by 1 point, and then losing an in-conference game to a (now) ranked conference foe, also on the road, by 3 points is ... 'trashing'?

Also, what 'options' did Heupel have when ...

A) Mobile QB#1 (Milton): Stiill out
B) Mobile QB#2 (Mack): Out in early camp and missed first 4 games, and was still not 100% as of game 6
C) Mobile QB#3 (Wimbush): Ineffective, and admittedly so, running a system new to him
D) Pocket QB#4 (Gabriel): Not planned to see heavy activity, not effective at running existing playbook, not mobile, didn't have much time with O-line and receivers in camp, and still getting used to the game at 'college speed'

I don't know what people expect out of Heupel at this point, no Mack until recently (and not 100%), ineffective Winbush, Gabriel needing modified playbook and more time at the college level. What 'options' did Heupel have?!

Maybe JH sees something in him and that is why he sticks with him when the rest of us want to some adjustments.
You mean exactly like Frost with Milton in 2016, instead of Holman?! So, we're 9-3 or so instead of 6-6, 12-0 in the regular season was a very long shot with a true freshman that cannot run the existing playbook, especially since he wasn't even the name starter and didn't get the same time with the starting offense out of camp.

In the end JH is the HC and the blame is squarely on him. I just hate to see the seniors get hosed if if he is just playing for DG's experience and next year's success. Just my humble opinion.
How is 9-3 ... or even 8-4 be, allegedly, 'hosed'?!?!?!

It's called football, and it's so difficult to go undefeated that Boise hasn't done it all decade, not since before they joined the MWC.

Just for accuracy sake. Do we know for sure that Mack isn’t 100%?? I keep hearing this

It's the type of injury. He won't be 100% until after the season is over.
Kyle Isreal broke his leg in the spring of 2005. He was the backup that season and I recall him being pretty gimpy in the 1 game he had to play in (he played half a game against Southern Miss). Now, he played in a bunch of games in 2006 as well, and maybe this is just me wanting to believe it, but I think it was still effecting his mobility that year as well. He was fine in 2007. Anything broken in your legs generally takes a long time for you to get back to your new 100%.

I hurt my back and even though I was able to eventually get back to doing everything I love to do, it was a year before I could do them without re-tweaking it from time-to-time. I noted when Mack was in, the first two series he seemed fine but he was getting pretty gimpy as he kept playing. My guess is Gabriel is the only healthy QB we have. Mack is serviceable but it is unknown how healthy he really is. Can he handle a 100% workload??? I don't know the answer to that.

Reactions: UCFBS
Kyle Isreal broke his leg in the spring of 2005. He was the backup that season and I recall him being pretty gimpy in the 1 game he had to play in (he played half a game against Southern Miss). Now, he played in a bunch of games in 2006 as well, and maybe this is just me wanting to believe it, but I think it was still effecting his mobility that year as well. He was fine in 2007. Anything broken in your legs generally takes a long time for you to get back to your new 100%.

I hurt my back and even though I was able to eventually get back to doing everything I love to do, it was a year before I could do them without re-tweaking it from time-to-time. I noted when Mack was in, the first two series he seemed fine but he was getting pretty gimpy as he kept playing. My guess is Gabriel is the only healthy QB we have. Mack is serviceable but it is unknown how healthy he really is. Can he handle a 100% workload??? I don't know the answer to that.
This is why the coaching staff was not only rather upset with him for the injury, but that he was hiding the fact that it occurred in a non-team practice and event, not being forward. That'll put you in the dog house every time, not be in forward, honest and transparent.

In any case, we don't have any mobile QB that is 100%. Gabriel is our future, and to me, he's been the true freshman best pocket passer we've ever had at UCF. I am fine being proven wrong in 2021, but I'm really looking forward to 2020 already, and still think a 9-3 season is extremely likely too.

BTW, anyone seen the Sagarins? We've played a top 50 schedule so far, and our top teams are ranked far better than the ACC, other than Clemson. Overall the AAC West is higher than the ACC Coastal, and the AAC East and MWC Mountain aren't that far behind.

I think it’s pretty simple. Heupel knows things that we as fans don’t know

He was asked tough questions and responded that DG gives us the best chance to win. That’s not just coach talk

Additionally, he DID SAY that DG needs to play better (but it’s not all on him) and needs
to make plays with his feet. That’s my biggest issue.

His latest interview was more informative

I honestly don’t care at all who is playing QB. I just want us to win. I will never have a favorite. My favorite QB is the one who sends me home happy as a fan. A big fat W. At the end of the day, winning is all that matters OR build for future winning within a reasonable time frame

I don’t think that many UCF fans went home happy after the Cure Bowl. We needed better QB play in 2017 and we got it

Reactions: Wings0fred
I think it’s pretty simple. Heupel knows things that we as fans don’t know

He was asked tough questions and responded that DG gives us the best chance to win. That’s not just coach talk

Additionally, he DID SAY that DG needs to play better (but it’s not all on him) and needs
to make plays with his feet. That’s my biggest issue.

His latest interview was more informative

I honestly don’t care at all who is playing QB. I just want us to win. I will never have a favorite. My favorite QB is the one who sends me home happy as a fan. A big fat W. At the end of the day, winning is all that matters OR build for future winning within a reasonable time frame

I don’t think that many UCF fans went home happy after the Cure Bowl. We needed better QB play in 2017 and we got it
We need it this year as well to be undefeated but I wasn’t expecting undefeated no matter who QB was. So just need to limit losses.

I have to disagree with the Wimbush was ineffective. He played a half of football and had 168 yards and 2 TDs... did he miss some open receivers ...yes but he was making his first start and I expected some rust. I have a little issue in the fact that we haven't seen him since. Why didnt we maybe give him a series in the Pitt game or the Cincinnati game just to change it up.

At this point I'm not ready to annoint DG. I've seen some good play and good growth from him.and I've seen some regression.

At the same time I've seen a stubbornness in CJH that worries me. I said at the time and still say we extended his contract too early. I would have like to see a season or two with his players before an extension.

Have I been critical at times..yes..I'm a fan, I overreact I get emotional. It also irritates the hell out of me when we lose a close Pitt game and I have to hear dumbass Gator and Miami fans say "see that is what happens when you play a real schedule."

My biggest concern with the two losses has been the devaluation of our image and the effect it will have on marketing and ticket sales. I've already seen several story/quotes saying things like we were a fun story or see we couldn't sustain success.The close loss to Pitt while disheartening didnt hurt as much as the Cincinnati loss.

Reactions: KnightHammer
I have to disagree with the Wimbush was ineffective. He played a half of football and had 168 yards and 2 TDs... did he miss some open receivers ...yes but he was making his first start and I expected some rust. I have a little issue in the fact that we haven't seen him since. Why didnt we maybe give him a series in the Pitt game or the Cincinnati game just to change it up.

At this point I'm not ready to annoint DG. I've seen some good play and good growth from him.and I've seen some regression.

At the same time I've seen a stubbornness in CJH that worries me. I said at the time and still say we extended his contract too early. I would have like to see a season or two with his players before an extension.

Have I been critical at times..yes..I'm a fan, I overreact I get emotional. It also irritates the hell out of me when we lose a close Pitt game and I have to hear dumbass Gator and Miami fans say "see that is what happens when you play a real schedule."

My biggest concern with the two losses has been the devaluation of our image and the effect it will have on marketing and ticket sales. I've already seen several story/quotes saying things like we were a fun story or see we couldn't sustain success.The close loss to Pitt while disheartening didnt hurt as much as the Cincinnati loss.
You hated Milton too so I’m good with thinking the opposite of you.

You hated Milton too so I’m good with thinking the opposite of you.

Because as a fan you cant make a mistake on an evaluation. Did Milton look like a world bearer his first year? I'm glad I was wrong and he gave me and alot of other people inspiration as to what hard work can accomplish. Made me respect the hell out of him and become one of my favorite players of any sport....

But again with statistics --- tell me how Wimbush was ineffective in the one half we saw him play. Or are we going on rumours, innuendo and guesses about practices most,if not all, of us haven't seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ucfmikes
Because as a fan you cant make a mistake on an evaluation. Did Milton look like a world bearer his first year? I'm glad I was wrong and he gave me and alot of other people inspiration as to what hard work can accomplish. Made me respect the hell out of him and become one of my favorite players of any sport.
People guess and then they pat themselves on the back when they turn out to be correct

Milton was close to leaving the program and then all UCF would have known is 2016

His own coach pulled him and he’s not one for doing that kind of stuff.

Based on 2016, we saw glimpses, but certainly not a strong indication of what he would become
Huge transformation

That alone is giving any DG setbacks a pass

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Strength
And Wimbush's stat line from that game 12/23 168 yards 2 TDs a QBR of 81.3 (which would put him in the top 10 of QBR currently) and 8 carries for 20 yards. 188 total yards accounted for in one half of play.

And Wimbush's stat line from that game 12/23 168 yards 2 TDs a QBR of 81.3 (which would put him in the top 10 of QBR currently) and 8 carries for 20 yards. 188 total yards accounted for in one half of play.
What was DGs stat line and QBR and where would that put him?

Define 'trashing'?

As in, he's playing for next year so he's going to stick with a freshman QB who has yet to make anything happen with his feet.

Also, what 'options' did Heupel have when ...

Before the Pitt game Heupel said they had a package ready for Mack, that he would see some playing time. He Didn't. Wimbush is healthy isn't he?

So, we're 9-3 or so instead of 6-6, 12-0 in the regular season was a very long shot with a true freshman that cannot run the existing playbook, especially since he wasn't even the name starter and didn't get the same time with the starting offense out of camp.

So are you assuming we will be 9-3? Not sure by your post. 12-0 is always a long shot, regardless of who your QB and especially if he is a freshman that cannot run the existing playbook. So, should we let that freshman QB run the same few plays over and over until he is ready to the run the rest of the playbook or should we put a QB in that is a little more mature and can run the playbook?

How is 9-3 ... or even 8-4 be, allegedly, 'hosed'?!?!?!

If a coach leaves any QB in a game that counts (at this point they all count) just to get that QB reps to develop him for next year and we lose games we shouldn't, the team (especially the seniors) got hosed.

What was DGs stat line and QBR and where would that put him?
DG's QBR by opponent

Famu 92.3
FAU 57.2
Stanford 96.6
Pitt 58.3
UConn 64.2
Cincy 49

AVG 65..4

Wimbush in the only significant playing time

FAMU 2 qtrs 54.6

So why not give him a series if we get in trouble? I'm not advocating to remove DG from the line up, we've burned his redshirt at this point. I'm just saying if he is struggling let somebody else try to pull it out.

EDIT* I was wondering why it didn't have stats for FAMU as well. I looked at ESPN again and saw that it wasn't diplaying all the games DG has played in. But I found the FAMU game. game.

Last edited:
DG's QBR by opponent

FAU 57.2
Stanford 96.6
Pitt 58.3
UConn 64.2
Cincy 49

AVG 65.06

Wimbush in the only significant playing time

FAMU 2 qtrs 54.6

So why not give him a series if we get in trouble? I'm not advocating to remove DG from the line up, we've burned his redshirt at this point. I'm just saying if he is struggling let somebody else try to pull it out.
You don’t have DGs FAMU stats. Kind of odd. What do you consider struggling? 28 points?

Yet he posted Wimbush against them.

And DG came in the second when we were already up by 27.or 34. Your still ducking the question how has winbush been ineffective for us? I'm not comparing Wimbush v. DG.

Or are we.playing a double standard fans cant get mad when DG throws 3 picks but Wimbush misses a few passes in a blowout and he is ineffective.

You don’t have DGs FAMU stats. Kind of odd. What do you consider struggling? 28 points?

Did you watch the Pitt and Cincy games? I knew when he was going to throw it and who it was going to. And my 75 year old mother knew he wasn't going to scramble to keep a play alive. He makes us one dimensional. He will be a great QB, just not at this point in his career.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT