ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis and Higher Education in FL

Bob is in the politics thread in the dungeon telling us all about how much slaves benefitted from the skills they learned as slaves. They got free horseback riding lessons, singing and dancing, and they learned how to escape. So much benefit.

Is he serious, trolling, or drunk? Usually with @Bob the Citronaut, it's a nice combination of the latter two.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Bottom line is I'm not seeing a move forward with CRT training.
CRT...training??!? WTF???

CRT is nothing more than a 'PC' way to defend not teaching American History to our kids without sounding like a racist. Hell I was a college educated Midwestern in my THIRTIES before I ever heard of the Tulsa race massacre.

I'm guessing another generation of Americans will be clueless about it too because I'm sure talking about how such a thing could happen in our country would now be considered "CRT Training."

So, is this the stuff being spewed in the Dungeon?

"The intent of this particular benchmark clarification is to show that some slaves developed highly specialized trades from which they benefitted. This is factual and well documented," it added.

The statement continued, “Some examples include: blacksmiths like Ned Cobb, Henry Blair, Lewis Latimer and John Henry; shoemakers like James Forten, Paul Cuffe and Betty Washington Lewis; fishing and shipping industry workers like Jupiter Hammon, John Chavis, William Whipper and Crispus Attucks; tailors like Elizabeth Keckley, James Thomas and Marietta Carter; and teachers like Betsey Stockton and Booker T. Washington.”

"The intent of this particular benchmark clarification is to show that some slaves developed highly specialized trades from which they benefitted. This is factual and well documented," it added.

The statement continued, “Some examples include: blacksmiths like Ned Cobb, Henry Blair, Lewis Latimer and John Henry; shoemakers like James Forten, Paul Cuffe and Betty Washington Lewis; fishing and shipping industry workers like Jupiter Hammon, John Chavis, William Whipper and Crispus Attucks; tailors like Elizabeth Keckley, James Thomas and Marietta Carter; and teachers like Betsey Stockton and Booker T. Washington.”

Oh lawd Jesus.

This is the actual definition of revisionist history.

They are acting like the only way to learn things was by being a slave, but free people could learn skills too. And I don't know all of those people, but pretty sure Crispis Attucks became a sailor after escaping slavery, not because of slavery. They are trying to either justify, or at least downplay slavery, that is all this is.

I can't wait until the next black Olympic athlete thanks their ancestor's slaveholders for passing down all the skills they gave their relatives in outrunning bloodhounds through swamps, while they tried to escape the plantation. That definitely got him/her to the point they are as an elite-class sprinter today. All the training in the world wouldn't have mattered had it not been for Billy Ray and his boys sicking a pack of dogs on great great great great grandpa. Thank God they did or I really don't know where they'd be...

"They're probably going to show that some of the folks that eventually parlayed, you know, being a blacksmith into doing things later in life," DeSantis said at a press conference on Friday.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
"They're probably going to show that some of the folks that eventually parlayed, you know, being a blacksmith into doing things later in life," DeSantis said at a press conference on Friday.
his disastrous Presidential Campaign is just another long list of reasons for everyone else to mock Floridians. Ron: ‘this really worked when I said this in Ocala surrounded by handpicked sycophants’

Slaves didn't benefit from being slaves. Period, end of subject. Now if one wants to argue their decedent's benefited by being in USA vs African nations, that is a different argument.

History needs to be taught, the good, the bad, the beautiful, and the ugly. You can't learn from a past that you don't know about.

Now his campaign had to delete a video with nazi imagery. So the guy has to answer questions about what his state is teaching about slavery, and why they are using nazi imagery in videos. This guy is straight up amateur hour.

Government and education way off track...

And today's news, they are talking about wanting to arm IRS agents.

Small government...big heart campaign needed :)

Here are all of the new state social studies standards passed by the state Board of Education which significantly revised the curriculum and content of African American history:

Looking thru the document it looks like they have put together a pretty solid look at Black American History.
When I was in school in the late 60's thru mid 70's there was very little education on Black life in America, we had history of civil war, and small positive things that a few blacks did, and some inclusion of slavery, but like all history at the time it was simply this happen on this date and really doing a bad job of teaching the story behind the story. While a Frosh at BCC I finally had a history teacher who went into the story behind the story, the fights, arguments, the personalities involved. And simply the order that things happened rather than memorizing dates that meant nothing. I learned more about the history of USA in one semester than in 5 years of school.
CRT...training??!? WTF???

CRT is nothing more than a 'PC' way to defend not teaching American History to our kids without sounding like a racist. Hell I was a college educated Midwestern in my THIRTIES before I ever heard of the Tulsa race massacre.

I'm guessing another generation of Americans will be clueless about it too because I'm sure talking about how such a thing could happen in our country would now be considered "CRT Training."
Americans are already clueless. Education has never mattered when it comes to knowing anything about anything.
Hell 1/3 of Americans couldn't name the last 3 presidents, or find Washington DC on a map, or know who their Senators are or how many each state has.

Reactions: ProAttitude
Looking thru the document it looks like they have put together a pretty solid look at Black American History.
When I was in school in the late 60's thru mid 70's there was very little education on Black life in America, we had history of civil war, and small positive things that a few blacks did, and some inclusion of slavery, but like all history at the time it was simply this happen on this date and really doing a bad job of teaching the story behind the story. While a Frosh at BCC I finally had a history teacher who went into the story behind the story, the fights, arguments, the personalities involved. And simply the order that things happened rather than memorizing dates that meant nothing. I learned more about the history of USA in one semester than in 5 years of school.

Americans are already clueless. Education has never mattered when it comes to knowing anything about anything.
Hell 1/3 of Americans couldn't name the last 3 presidents, or find Washington DC on a map, or know who their Senators are or how many each state has.
Which campus and which history teacher?

National Institution of Higher Education rankings are all from elitist leftists so it's actually getting BETTER!!! Yeehaw! ;)

While a Frosh at BCC I finally had a history teacher who went into the story behind the story, the fights, arguments, the personalities involved. And simply the order that things happened rather than memorizing dates that meant nothing. I learned more about the history of USA in one semester than in 5 years of school.
I had one of those history teachers in college too, goodknightfl. He was a twentysomething Assistant Professor back then. He would later become one of the leading American war historians.

You're absolutely right about our society's disregard for history. The reason its taught is to help us avoid making the same mistakes as we've done in the past. Yet some of us who actually pride ourselves in knowing something about American History get humiliated by what we grew up NOT knowing.

How many of you knew that before the MAGAs, we had a thriving American Nazi movement prior to WWII? And how many of you became aware of the Tulsa race massacre in school?

But fortunately, we all grew up knowing ol' George Washington couldn't tell a lie, right? :)

Last edited:
I have read through a bit of this banter and my observation is on one hand DeSantis did the right thing by purging DEI from the hiring and administrative level at universities. DEI is just quotas. It does not advance anything other than making sure you have the right looking people . You hire by merit, promote by performance and fire people for not meeting those standards .

DEI is dangerous in my opinion when it comes to medical schools and admissions and even in the classroom setting. If my life is on the line I want to know that doctor met stringent merit based criteria to earn that MD degree regardless of their race or gender or who they like to have sexual relations with in bed. None of that stuff matters when life is on the line. Merit based standards are the only way to go.

The CRT stuff I don't agree with how this was handled. I am a staunch libertarian, kind of lean towards a Thomas Jefferson liberal . You don't regulate ideas, even crappy ideas like CRT. What you do is ensure liberty and free expression of ALL ideas are protected. CRT is a sociology type theory, so what you do is make sure students can debate its merits. Universities should not be in the business to tell students what to think but how to think critically and perhaps this is the most important part , how to welcome honest debate of ideas , their merits and their failings. How to peacefully interact with those who look and THINK differently than you do. News flash, people are people and think differently. You need to be able to get along in work and outside of work to have a functioning healthy society.

A debate isn't shouting down people, canceling people or turning tables over. That's anger. I would love to take a class on CRT v What ever non CRT is and debate it. We use to teach Americanism versus Communism in high school here in Florida. Imagine the fun of debating American Progressism versus Constitutional Republic Federalism ? That's what students need to be exposed too here.

Social media and college campuses are riddled with social Marxists and I get what DeSantis is wanting to do,but I don't agree with how he is doing it. WE NEED MORE IDEAS, MORE FREE SPEECH AND GENUINE DEBATE NOT LESS. He should require in the social sciences and business schools to hire more faculty who believe in the Rule of Law, the Constitution, Bill of Rights ,especially Amendments 1,2 and 4 and free markets. Give students the opportunity to learn it all and let them decide. Expose them to everything and going back to the top of my post let the MERITS of the ideas win the day.

College campuses are not about free thought or free expression. It's titled heavily left. They are not about critical thought. They are in many ways leftist indoctrination centers especially the social sciences, college of education and even in some aspects of business schools. It's time to shake things up and bring in traditional western concepts back into the classrooms. You do that by embracing the First Amendment and universities stand behind it by inviting conservative speakers and hiring conservative faculty. You don't do it by silencing the lefties. You lead by example by truly embracing free ideas, thought and speech even those things you vehemently disagree with.

I have read through a bit of this banter and my observation is on one hand DeSantis did the right thing by purging DEI from the hiring and administrative level at universities. DEI is just quotas. It does not advance anything other than making sure you have the right looking people.
Nauti, you strike me as a good guy, the type of fellow I could enjoy watching a UCF game with over a few beers. But the thoughts you routinely express here tell me you've never attempted to look at the world from another person's perspective.

There is A LOT to unpack from your post, but I'm going to focus on this DEI purge you're applauding.

I would assume the goal of a college education is to help students develop their critical thinking skills, right? Once upon a time, that was exclusively for white men like the two of us. Then women (co-eds) were allowed to join the club followed by a whole bunch of people who were (frown) 'not like us.'

How did developing critical thinking skills for a broader and more diverse college population become "just quotas"?
You hire by merit, promote by performance and fire people for not meeting those standards .

DEI is dangerous in my opinion when it comes to medical schools and admissions and even in the classroom setting.
What I find dangerous are the misguided people who actually believe women and minorities are somehow 'allowed in' into our 'clubs' based on 'an inferior' standard. Do differences between people exist in society? Sure. But are standards lowered for practicing medicine or piloting a plane based on one's race and gender? Good Lord, NO. The very notion is laughable. Trust me, if the standards are sometimes fudged, it's more likely for the kid who's Daddy is going to pay for a new wing of the medical school's hospital.

More later.

I had one of those history teachers in college too, goodknightfl. He was a twentysomething Assistant Professor back then. He would later become one of the leading American war historians.

You're absolutely right about our society's disregard for history. The reason its taught is to help us avoid making the same mistakes as we've done in the past. Yet some of us who actually pride ourselves in knowing something about American History get humiliated by what we grew up NOT knowing.

How many of you knew that before the MAGAs, we had a thriving American Nazi movement prior to WWII? And how many of you became aware of the Tulsa race massacre in school?

But fortunately, we all grew up knowing ol' George Washington couldn't tell a lie, right? :)

I learned of the Tulsa event at UCF in American History back in 1991. The New York Times celebrated the American NAZI party in the 1930s even up to the fall of 1941. The Press and American left were all into the eugenics movement and the NAZIS took the eugenics to a whole new level.

The sad TRUTH is the US Government has never and will never admit they are wrong in policy or in deed. They were wrong a lot in history from slavery, events like the Battle of Little Big Horn, to putting Americans in concentration camps to weapons of mass destruction in Iraq to If you like your doctor , you can keep your doctor, to recent events like funding gain of function research on viruses . It's the same the stuff and its repeated over and over again in different ways. The government is never wrong according to the government of course.
Nauti, you strike me as a good guy, the type of fellow I could enjoy watching a UCF game with over a few beers. But the thoughts you routinely express here tell me you've never attempted to look at the world from another person's perspective.

There is A LOT to unpack from your post, but I'm going to focus on this DEI purge you're applauding.

I would assume the goal of a college education is to help students develop their critical thinking skills, right? Once upon a time, that was exclusively for white men like the two of us. Then women (co-eds) were allowed to join the club followed by a whole bunch of people who were (frown) 'not like us.'

How did developing critical thinking skills for a broader and more diverse college population become "just quotas"?

What I find dangerous are the misguided people who actually believe women and minorities are somehow 'allowed in' into our 'clubs' based on 'an inferior' standard. Do differences between people exist in society? Sure. But are standards lowered for practicing medicine or piloting a plane based on one's race and gender? Good Lord, NO. The very notion is laughable. Trust me, if the standards are sometimes fudged, it's more likely for the kid who's Daddy is going to pay for a new wing of the medical school's hospital.

More later.
Shuck,
I am #5 of 6 kids. I was not privileged to have wealthy parents. I worked my way through college. My perspective is based on my life's experience. That experience does include working in government, working for government, working in nonprofits and owning my own business. I have 3 kiss, a daughter and two boys. Both boys have had a tough road to hoe . My oldest son is 25. He almost died when his brain bled out from a meningitis infection. He is blind and severely mentally retarded . He needs assistance to do every tasks from toileting to eating to baithing. He is really a wonderful person. My youngest at UCF has been blessed with epilepsy. He is a great young man, and Marching Knight.

I have two neices who are lesbians. Wonderful women and I have a couple of lesbian employees. So, I would say based on my experience I am quite understanding about others lives and perspectives. I can tell you from my observations the mentally and physically disabled are the least included in this world .
I don't agree with DEI. Its not that I don't like diversity. I do. I appreciate diversity when it's organic. I grew up as a Gen Xer and we saw quotas . We saw how hiring was subjective based on checking a box especially for race and gender. It didn't make sense to me because I went to fully integrated schools with all sorts of people from all walks of life. Sure some came from poverty and wealth some had no dad or mom or both at home. It was humanity. I had one advantage. I had a mom who stayed at home and my dad was not a decent guy. Stability is under rated . So we were all exposed to the sane materials in school. Some of us tried, studied hard and took that opportunity..others pissed it away . That's on them ,not me ,not my gender or race . I didn't stop a single woman or minority from achieving in school. I was 89 pounds abd barely 5 feet tall. 😆.

Fast forward. Over the last 25 years I have been a caregiver to another human being who genuinely can't. I fully know and appreciate the difference between those who can't and those who simply won't. Most of the DEI advocates I want to kick in the teeth. They have two legs, two arms, a healthy heart and a brain that fully works..They are not some victim..They are not oppressed. Shit happens In life , deal with it. You have a choice in your life. You can either sit in your failure and disappointment or you can do something about it. It's 2024 , and here in America most people who succeed are good at life abd have a vision for it and eother brains or talent. Many who fail and especially those who claim they are a victim truly don't know what its like to truly be limited . I feel for them because they often hold the keys to their prison of their own making.

Sometimes the truth is the most compassionate thing in liberating people from their plight.

Long story short. I am very compassionate. I care about the disabled abd hungry in .y community. This past Valentines Day I worked with a competitor in our community and we both donated a percentage of our sales to our local food bank.

I think DEI focuses too much on outward appearance and too little on merit. It's one guys opinion. About 98% of my staff are women and the one male employee I have is autistic . I hired the autistic guy in part because he is autistic and jobs give us purpose and selfworth. Those things create dignity and this young man does a good job. His traing is slower than i like . It is costing me some cash to bring him up to speed. Its worth it to me. I actually do put myself in others shoes a lot.

I have 4 seats with my season tickets . If you are in Orlando ever abd I don't have guests , look me up . I could have you join us.

Lmao nauti is an abject moron spreading easily disproven lies. I am still waiting on @Nautiknight to provide facts for his claim that "most mass shooters have been trans".

He is incapable of unplugging himself from the fox news BS machine. I pity anyone who reads his walls walls of idiocy.

Black people...quota hires...are just gonna kill people.

I don't agree with DEI. Its not that I don't like diversity. I do. I appreciate diversity when it's organic.
How is it "not" organic? If you have a diverse student population, doesn't it make sense to personalize their education around their cultural backgrounds and interests? Or is American higher education supposed to be "devoid of gender and culture?"
I grew up as a Gen Xer and we saw quotas . We saw how hiring was subjective based on checking a box especially for race and gender.
You know for a fact applicants were hired simply because of how they checked a box? Sorry, but I find that very hard to believe.

Affirmative action was always about creating a diverse POOL of applicants to choose a candidate from. I hired a hell of a lot of people over the course of my professional life and I never had anyone in Human Resources tell me who to hire, period. When I worked for State agencies, they only wanted to know I made an effort to diversify my applicant pool and what were the credentials of the person I ended up hiring.

Funny thing is, some women and minorities who 'pulled themselves up from poverty' (people like you and me) weren't getting the same breaks. I'm guessing that in our cases, employers saw something DEEP INSIDE US that made us stand out as special. ;) :)
Most of the DEI advocates I want to kick in the teeth. They have two legs, two arms, a healthy heart and a brain that fully works..They are not some victim..They are not oppressed.
Excuse me, but the supposed 'victims' are DeSantis and his MAGA crowd. Why is it so horrendous that major universities like UF have curriculum and support services geared for women and minorities? Why is SOME curriculum and SOME student services okay while others are not? Remind me who are the ones focused on how people check boxes on gender and race.
I am very compassionate. I care about the disabled and hungry in my community.
I have no doubt you are. And I appreciate that your concern for the welfare of the disabled community comes out of your personal experiences with your son. I'm sure you could talk at length about how disabled people have to deal with scores of ignorant and insensitive A-holes.

My point is there are other well-meaning groups of people behind the DEI banner you find so disgusting who deal with the same types of ignorant and insensitive A-holes. Your Governor's actions help explain why.

Last edited:
Anyone who us truly open minded about such things. Here is a podcast with Megyn Kelly and a California doctor discussing DEI and it harms to young physicians. You can listen to it or not.

Lmao nauti is an abject moron spreading easily disproven lies. I am still waiting on @Nautiknight to provide facts for his claim that "most mass shooters have been trans".

He is incapable of unplugging himself from the fox news BS machine. I pity anyone who reads his walls walls of idiocy.
I never said most mass shooters are trans . I said many in the past couple years have been trans. Unfortunately, most mass shooters are young messed up white males who are twisted and sick. Many don't have dads worth a shit or their homes are just chaotic. In the last couple years we have seen trans identifying people pick up a gun in rage and do their deeds . Is that better?
I rarely listen to Fox News or watch it. I do ,however, follow a number of rigt leaning and center type podcasts about events of the day.

I am not going to apologize for not drinking the leftist Kool aide. I believe in the individual over groups. I believe in the Rule of law which is truly the foundation of America's economic success. I believe in limited government, personal and economic opportunity. I believe in the Bill of Rights . I believe everyone reading this knows what is best for their lives ,not me and definitely not a big corporation or the government.

I don't trust power and I don't trust politicians or political parties who do not respect the Constitution, Bill of Rights and the Rule of Law . I believe whole heartedly you have the freedom to be you and I have the freedom to be free from you. Live and let live . That's my prism of which I see life . Your prism can and is likely different and that's fine by me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT