ADVERTISEMENT

DG is gonna be a stud

I think you guys are looking through some seriously black and gold glasses. KZ was and is a special talent. He has a vision that you cannot teach. He had the ability to think and create so quickly under pressure. All of our QBs have great physical attributes, but KZ is different. If somehow one of these guys has 80% of the same mental abilities under pressure then we struck lightning twice. But don't count on it. We have been spoiled under KZ and if he is the measuring stick by which the rest of the QBs are judged, be prepared to be disappointed.

I think you guys are looking through some seriously black and gold glasses. KZ was and is a special talent. He has a vision that you cannot teach. He had the ability to think and create so quickly under pressure. All of our QBs have great physical attributes, but KZ is different. If somehow one of these guys has 80% of the same mental abilities under pressure then we struck lightning twice. But don't count on it. We have been spoiled under KZ and if he is the measuring stick by which the rest of the QBs are judged, be prepared to be disappointed.

Meh. I'm hoping that KZ is a product of the system. He's good but so is the system.

Meh. I'm hoping that KZ is a product of the system. He's good but so is the system.
That would be nice but I think that is wishful thinking.
Very interesting debate. We will see very soon. Then again, we may not if the system was the “Frost” system

Remember, the 2017 KZ was better than the 2018 KZ.

It’s not just a coincidence that the NGEbraska QB Martinez is a stud

Frost just “happened” to recruit KZ and Martinez?? Both Heisman trophy candidates in 2 years or so

Highly doubtful. It’s most likely the system.

Very interesting debate. We will see very soon. Then again, we may not if the system was the “Frost” system

Frost just “happened” to recruit KZ and Martinez?? Both Heisman trophy candidates in 2 years or so

Here is my 2 cents......although KZ is a good fit for either coaches system, he exhibited those same skills that make him exceptional back in HS before playing in either system. The other thought that comes to mind is from the recent One Knight Stand interview.......It was stated by one of the players when KZ arrived "this kid lights it up in practice, he is a Johnny Manziel type guy"......the bottom line is that he might be a good system fit but in my opinion KZ is a generational QB who may very well be regarded as the UCF GOAT QB for a long time....

Then we are doomed!!! :weary:

While an exaggeration I think that is the concern. Everyones expectation that the offense will continue to produce the same or even improve. In reality the team is due to take a step back and whether the newer fanbase will accept it or abandon it. Right now if the team averaged 30 points a game that would be a significant step back, but is not exactly bad.

While an exaggeration I think that is the concern. Everyones expectation that the offense will continue to produce the same or even improve. In reality the team is due to take a step back and whether the newer fanbase will accept it or abandon it. Right now if the team averaged 30 points a game that would be a significant step back, but is not exactly bad.
A significant drop from the 40’s to 30 with a questionable defense would spell a few losses. Hoping Heupel can continue to develop his own “system.” Not necessarily Frost’s system, but a system where guys like Winbush and Mack flourish just as Milton did under Frost.

We must remember that a even an inexperienced Mack put up 28 on USF in a little over a half, 32 on LSU and 50 something on Memphis.

A significant drop from the 40’s to 30 with a questionable defense would spell a few losses. Hoping Heupel can continue to develop his own “system.” Not necessarily Frost’s system, but a system where guys like Winbush and Mack flourish just as Milton did under Frost.

We must remember that a even an inexperienced Mack put up 28 on USF in a little over a half, 32 on LSU and 50 something on Memphis.

So in the same KZ interview, he was asked about CJHs system. He said it was actually easier for a QB........easier to survey the field and make his reads. He said that this is accomplished with WRs lined up very wide opening up the middle of the field......

Then we are doomed!!! :weary:

Not To Worry! The comfort level of the players in year 2 of this scheme is significant. A solid QB may not go undefeated this year, but with all our weapons, tempo, an exceptional run game, we could and should still win 10 games. Look at it this way, Brady is arguably the GOAT, but when he was suspended, Garoppolo filled in, excelled in the Pats system, and went 4-0. CJH is gonna have to game plan to our strengths and fortunately we have a boat load!
:cool2:

So in the same KZ interview, he was asked about CJHs system. He said it was actually easier for a QB........easier to survey the field and make his reads. He said that this is accomplished with WRs lined up very wide opening up the middle of the field......
I’m going to listen to it later tonight. Apparently his numbers were somewhat better under Frost, but there are so many variables. I do think that when clicking, Heupel’s offense may be easier for the QB to move the ball downfield quickly and prepare a QB for the NFL, but may it not be as potent of an offense overall. Time will tell

Heupel’s offense requires a college QB to make NFL accurate deep throws and leads to a lower competition percentage and more 3 and outs. It relies less on getting playmakers one on one with the defenders in space with the short, quick passes. QB to RB completion numbers were way down last year.

Reactions: JAFFX2
Not To Worry! The comfort level of the players in year 2 of this scheme is significant. A solid QB may not go undefeated this year, but with all our weapons, tempo, an exceptional run game, we could and should still win 10 games. Look at it this way, Brady is arguably the GOAT, but when he was suspended, Garoppolo filled in, excelled in the Pats system, and went 4-0. CJH is gonna have to game plan to our strengths and fortunately we have a boat load!
When all else fails, just give it to McCrae. [cheers]

Last edited:
I’m going to listen to it later tonight. Apparently his numbers were somewhat better under Frost, but there are so many variables. I do think that when clicking, Heupel’s offense may be easier for the QB to move the ball downfield quickly and prepare a QB for the NFL, but may it not be as potent of an offense overall. Time will tell

Heupel’s offense requires a college QB to make NFL accurate deep throws and leads to a lower competition percentage and more 3 and outs. It relies less on getting playmakers one on one with the defenders in space with the short, quick passes. QB to RB completion numbers were way down last year.

It is a great interview, I might even listen to it again!

It is a great interview, I might even listen to it again!

I appreciate the take on Frost as well. If the players aren’t bitter, then why should we be as fans? If I got offered a better job close to my parents and the ability to bring along my staff and pay them double, I’d be crazy not to take it. Can’t fault anyone for securing the bag.

Do you remember the last time the Pats didn’t make playoffs? Was the year Brady got hurt first game of year. Not the system or Belichek.

I appreciate the take on Frost as well. If the players aren’t bitter, then why should we be as fans? If I got offered a better job close to my parents and the ability to bring along my staff and pay them double, I’d be crazy not to take it. Can’t fault anyone for securing the bag.
Some people like poolside and myself don’t think it’s a better job long term

We have to remember that Milton had a completion percentage around 59%. If DG can get that up above 66% that can make up for some of MM’s intangibles. Also MM was dinged up the past two years so one advantage of having four guys this year is significant depth and little drop off if the starter gets hurt

We have to remember that Milton had a completion percentage around 59%. If DG can get that up above 66% that can make up for some of MM’s intangibles. Also MM was dinged up the past two years so one advantage of having four guys this year is significant depth and little drop off if the starter gets hurt

KZ wasn't accurate early in games. It took him time to warm up.

Do you remember the last time the Pats didn’t make playoffs? Was the year Brady got hurt first game of year. Not the system or Belichek.

Because they had a totally inexperienced backup who had never started an NFL game and spent the rest of his career as a very mediocre journeyman. KZ is clearly awesome but so is our system and we can win championships without him........

Last edited:

Remember, 2017 was the 2nd year of Frost's system while 2018 was the FIRST year of Heupel's system.

Remember, KZ was practically healthy for the ENTIRE 2017 season...while in 2018, he was hurt early on (especially in the Oct 6th SMU game), didn't even practice before the Oct 13th Memphis game...and got hurt AGAIN in that game)...so its not a fair comparison to a running/escape type QB like Milton when he is fully healthy and when he is not.

Still...KZ had a solid year in just Year 1 of a new system.

NOTE: Because Frost evened up at a P5 program...he was able to sign the 7th best dual-threat QB in the Nation that had 28 scholarship offers....but Frost at a AAC school signed a kid from Hawaii that almost no one wanted.

I'm glad the kid from Hawaii worked out....but if UCF was in the SEC instead of the AAC when Frost was here...doubt he would have even looked at Milton and meanwhile, Heupel signed a QB who was WANTED by Georgia and USC (still though doesn't guarantee future collegiate success).

We have to remember that Milton had a completion percentage around 59%. If DG can get that up above 66% that can make up for some of MM’s intangibles.
Here is where I disagree. Completion percentage does not tell the story of KZ's success. Go back and watch the 2017 USF game or the 2017 AAC Champ game. Watch how KZ makes plays on the fly. KZ is actually more effective flushed out of the pocket. He just created things. He extended drives with his arm and his legs. This is what DJ was missing in the Fiesta Bowl. Granted we almost pulled that off too.

I think we have some amazing talent at QB. Certainly the best depth we have had in the 35 years I have been a fan of the program. However, in my years I have never seen a talent like KZ. That said I recall making a similar statement about Blake, so I hope that I am wrong.

Here is where I disagree. Completion percentage does not tell the story of KZ's success. Go back and watch the 2017 USF game or the 2017 AAC Champ game. Watch how KZ makes plays on the fly. KZ is actually more effective flushed out of the pocket. He just created things. He extended drives with his arm and his legs. This is what DJ was missing in the Fiesta Bowl. Granted we almost pulled that off too.

I think we have some amazing talent at QB. Certainly the best depth we have had in the 35 years I have been a fan of the program. However, in my years I have never seen a talent like KZ. That said I recall making a similar statement about Blake, so I hope that I am wrong.
I was more concerned with the games where he started 0-5, 0-6 and had three wasted drives to start the game

Reactions: Ucfmikes

Mack had very little to do with the offense in either USF and LSU game. His big game was Memphis.

USF - 5/14 81 yards 0 TD, 10 rushes for 51 yards, 0 TD.
LSU - 11/30 97 yards 1 TD 1 INT, 11 Rushes -3 yards 0 TD.

Per the recent SBnation article, Milton’s sack rate was 3%, Wimbush’s was 5.6%, and Mack’s was 9.1%.

Certainly agrees with being able to make plays when under pressure.

Agreed. I just don't get the hate he's getting from UCF fans. He was born and raised in Nebraska played for them and won a share of a national title for them. I told people when Frost was hired that if the Nebraska job ever opened up he'd likely be gone. This program is in the position it's in today because of the culture he built here.

Agreed. I just don't get the hate he's getting from UCF fans. He was born and raised in Nebraska played for them and won a share of a national title for them. I told people when Frost was hired that if the Nebraska job ever opened up he'd likely be gone. This program is in the position it's in today because of the culture he built here.
Who is this Frost guy you speak of?

You are completely missing the point.....as much as I hate to go back and rehash a topic that has long been put to bed, I will anyway because this Frosts my bawls. Most agree that we owe him a huge debt of gratitude and do not hate merely because he left. Most are pissed because of the disingenuous way he went about it, for the way he flipped a switch in less than an hour of winning the CCG and going after potential recruits that UCF had a huge investment of time, money and resources and for completely gutting the coaching staff when he left.......

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
You are completely missing the point.....as much as I hate to go back and rehash a topic that has long been put to bed, I will anyway because this Frosts my bawls. Most agree that we owe him a huge debt of gratitude and do not hate merely because he left. Most are pissed because of the disingenuous way he went about it, for the way he flipped a switch in less than an hour of winning the CCG and going after potential recruits that UCF had a huge investment of time, money and resources and for completely gutting the coaching staff when he left.......
Gutting the coaching staff? Other than Beckton, these were all guys he brought in. Heupel would've wanted to bring his own guys in anyway. Frost gave us all he had for 2 years, he got his dream job and turned the page, can't blame him for that. Considering it seems like we're just fine without him, I don't see why anyone would hold a grudge.

With the new early signing period, Frost couldn’t hold off or he would have lost out on talent. The coaching staff had a chance to stay here but chose to leave.

Yes he poached a few recruits, I think we’re fine without those recruits (I would have too, it’s a business). He’s never spoken poorly about our school (except toting the company line with the NC claim), didn’t need to coach the peach bowl but did. He’s not perfect and I’m sure there are a few things that he would have done differently if he could.

I’m grateful for what he gave us, but am indifferent to whatever his future brings. I’m excited for Heup and what we will accomplish under him. No point in wasting energy being angry about something we cannot change.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Absolutely spot on!! He deleted files, wore the red colors at the CCG, etc. Stuff only diehard fans know and realize

I’m just as annoyed with the classless
“We stole your coach you lowlife G5 cocksuckers” NGEbraska fan attitude

Gutting the coaching staff? Other than Beckton, these were all guys he brought in. Heupel would've wanted to bring his own guys in anyway. Frost gave us all he had for 2 years, he got his dream job and turned the page, can't blame him for that. Considering it seems like we're just fine without him, I don't see why anyone would hold a grudge.
I stated the reasons and willed them to 4-8. It was fun to watch the cornfumblers.
I literally pissed my pants vs Troy

I’m very evil

With the new early signing period, Frost couldn’t hold off or he would have lost out on talent. The coaching staff had a chance to stay here but chose to leave.

Yes he poached a few recruits, I think we’re fine without those recruits (I would have too, it’s a business). He’s never spoken poorly about our school (except toting the company line with the NC claim), didn’t need to coach the peach bowl but did. He’s not perfect and I’m sure there are a few things that he would have done differently if he could.

I’m grateful for what he gave us, but am indifferent to whatever his future brings. I’m excited for Heup and what we will accomplish under him. No point in wasting energy being angry about something we cannot change.
Yeah., he’ll win games, but the more time goes by, who cares. We went 12-1, so we are fine. At least one of those recruits was a bust and transferred. Vedral sucks and Trequans brother should be transferring any day now if he’s smart

Nobraska Cornfumbler fan. set to ignore.

Reactions: Ucfmikes and JAFFX2
Absolutely spot on!! He deleted files, wore the red colors at the CCG, etc. Stuff only diehard fans know and realize

I’m just as annoyed with the classless
“We stole your coach you lowlife G5 cocksuckers” NGEbraska fan attitude

Their fan base can go die in a fire... That’s a different argument all together.

Sorry Sport but Im gonna throw the bull sh!t flag, get your facts straight......he took at least 4 assistants that had prior ties to UCF......he left us high and dry with absolutely zero continuity

Most are pissed because of the disingenuous way he went about it, for the way he flipped a switch in less than an hour of winning the CCG and going after potential recruits that UCF had a huge investment of time, money and resources and for completely gutting the coaching staff when he left.......
So he held them at gun point and demanded they leave? From all reports he asked them if they wanted to come with or stay. They all chose to follow. Honestly what would be the point of them staying? Only to get fired by the new coach coming in. Very few new coaches keep old assistants. You peoples argument with this is ridiculous.
As far as recruits, all that time invested recruiting these kids was Frosts and staff. As far as deleting hard drives, why wouldn't they? Im sure all their personal information was on it. If recruits were on there, why should the new staff just walk in and get a free be of recruits. They should have to put the time and effort in, like any other coaching staff. Plus it isn't like UCF has world beater recruiting talent anyways. Face it you were butt hurt Frost left, and will never get a chance to be as good as LSU. Will sink back down to the depths of college football. PERIOD. You are making up excuses. Move on kiddies

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT