ADVERTISEMENT

DG took away UCF mentions from his social media

Does anybody think DG stays? I have doubts. He is only following two people on twitter...Jeff Lebby and Kevin Smith. I'm more disappointed at the chance of losing Titus. DG is great passer, but when he gets out of the pocket you never know what's going to happen. DG also picked up like 100 more followers today. Could be Ole Miss fans that are in his ear.
That wasn’t recent . He did that after Heup left when they did their Twitter campaign for Lebby. And Ole Miss has Corral who is a pretty talented QB

Does anybody think DG stays? I have doubts. He is only following two people on twitter...Jeff Lebby and Kevin Smith. I'm more disappointed at the chance of losing Titus. DG is great passer, but when he gets out of the pocket you never know what's going to happen. DG also picked up like 100 more followers today. Could be Ole Miss fans that are in his ear.
Neither are leaving. DG was following those 2 for the past several weeks to show his interest. He will learn to like Gus eventually

as a fan it would be a gut punch if he did bc I am
a big believer in his ceiling but his social media stunt was not a good look. Lebby was my 1 or 2
Also but you are really going to hold it against the University to pass on a guy that has only 1 year experience as OC in a major conference plus also has ‘me too’ type concerns w the Baylor past

Last edited:
Heupel seemed to let things get out of control. Just look at the lack of discipline with the ridiculous number of penalties. It doesn't matter how good DG is. We wouldn't win a championship with Heupel. We needed a change and I feel that Gus is a huge upgrade over Hype. If DG decides to leave it is at his loss as well as UCF.
Agree 100%!

Unless he goes to UT or Ole Miss he stays. If either we gave KZ too much credit for recruiting.

Reactions: KnightHammer
I think things will settle down once the two of them take time to talk to each other.

I think things will settle down once the two of them take time to talk to each other.
Yes, DG was about age-ten when Gus coordinated Cam Newton's offense to a Heisman trophy and BCS NC. Perhaps seeing the ring and pictures of Cam with his trophy will assuage DG's concerns.

Yes, DG was about age-ten when Gus coordinated Cam Newton's offense to a Heisman trophy and BCS NC. Perhaps seeing the ring and pictures of Cam with his trophy will assuage DG's concerns.

Does that matter? There is nothing similar between Cam Newton and Gabriel aside from playing the same position. Two completely different players.

Like someone saying Gabriel go play for Urban Meyer, he will make you play like Tim Tebow!

Does that matter? There is nothing similar between Cam Newton and Gabriel aside from playing the same position. Two completely different players.

Like someone saying Gabriel go play for Urban Meyer, he will make you play like Tim Tebow!
Stidham got drafted under Gus and he isn’t a true dual threat

A) yes, I stated my concerns previously that DG is not the type of QB that yielded highest success for Malzahn. (Newton, Marshall)
B) it is oft-repeated that "winning" and "trophies" are major attractions in the recruitment of 18-21 year-olds. (So ironically we should praise DG if he is not impressed...but I'd like to keep him!)
C) Tebow's development was more due to Dan Mullen than Urban Meyer, I believe.

With Stidham passing was not used as a prime weapon. Stidham had 36 TDs in 27 games. Gabriel had 32 tds in 10 games last year.
He got drafted in the 4th round ...

you are also ignoring the ranked defenses played ,easier to run up stats vs East Carolina

Last edited:
Where is he "proven"? He's been fired from 50% of the college HC jobs he's had. This is a bad hire. New AD has just killed all the momentum we built over the last decade. Someone else said it best...the giant is going back to sleep now.
its not a bad hire as long as he moves on withen 3-4 years what gus needs to do is treat every opp like he does with the razorbacks and bama if he does that u will have some 12-0 teams

Reactions: Black_Knight07
Lots of defensive players , current WRs, former WRs like Marlon showing Gus love on SM but crickets so far from DG....

should we head to Tally to beg KZ to come back?:oops:

Last edited:
He will play him, but I can guarantee you he will be recruiting someone that has a different skillset than Gabriel. He did that for the last decade, or was Auburn not good enough to recruit skilled passing QBs?

And if that QB fits his offense better, he will look to get that guy in there sooner than later. Its not at all uncommon.
I think that is true.

Earliest Gus can recruit and get his own QB on campus is spring 2022, barring a transfer. DG will be a 3 year starter with insane stats and experience. So Gus sits him for the freshman? Don’t see it happening.
Gabriel started as a Freshman. That being said, we may already have other QBs on board that may work out better for GMs offense should Gabriel decide to leave, or doesn't work out. I was big Gabriel fan but, unfortunately, his recent attitude is not positive and not healthy for the team. At the same time, he has every right to do what he thinks is best for him.

He may be very sorry if he transfers to Tenn. I believe that place will be a mess for quite a while.

Don' know about this. Corral is OK, I guess? Really built for a shootout, though.
They have Corral and another highly recruited QB. DG is a great QB but if he transfers to another school, especially a P5, he’s walking into a situation where he’s not the top dog going into spring and will absolutely have to outshine a higher quality of competition to reach the same level he’s at now, and trying to do it in a brand new system without any knowledge of your teammates. No amount of promises will make that a reality in the SEC. He’s in a great position now with a great new coach that sees him as the man. Is it worth rolling the dice, with the realization you might not win the starting job and maybe becoming a backup for the remainder of your career? Hard questions.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
some of you are talking like DG is a statue with cement in his feet, he will have plenty of opportunities to throw his beautiful deep ball under GM and he uses the middle of the field more similar to Scott Frost at UCF

the complaint that he didn't extend plays with his feet enough under Heupel could get answered

Gabriel isn't going anywhere. He is just upset we didn't get Lebby, the guy that recruited him to UCF afterall.

Lots of defensive players , current WRs, former WRs like Marlon showing Gus love on SM but crickets so far from DG....

should we head to Tally to beg KZ to come back?[laughing]
DG will come around. He probably wanted to help Lebby into UCF as Lebby helped DG into UCF

Remember when Otis Anderson was gone because people tried to analyze his Twitter. DG is just riling you guys up man. Yeah he might have preferred the familiarity with Lebby. But there is nothing to not like about his situation here with Malzahn.

Reactions: Yaes
A bunch of grown men following a 20 yr old college kid’s Twitter feed thinking every little thing means he’s going to now transfer. Give it a rest. The dudes solid, holding the team together while the team was in transition, even finalizing the recruiting of Titus without a HC (sure as shit wasn’t RS). He’s not transferring, he’s our QB and team leader and a damn good one at both.

On a side note, I had no idea GM was the OC of Tulsa back when they were actually an offensive force and not just defensively oriented like the most recent past. I remember as a student being at our first CCG in the Citrus bowl against them, we got smoked. Then returning the favor first year of the Bounce House (when it REALLY bounced). It was the start of a sorta CUSA rivalry if you will, along with ECU. They lit it up offensively for quite a few years, throwing and running the ball all over the place. I was also wanting Lebby, disappointed when GM was announced b/c I didn’t want a “retread”. But after all the pub, the pressers, the DC hire (which I love the hire) and realizing what he actually accomplished at AU in THAT division in THAT conference, more specifically against THAT team....I’m jumping on this Gus Bus or whatever I keep hearing about and I think this was THE best hire. He’s everything we have been wanting: 1) charismatic (unlike the shacket wearing turd who chewed the worst gum known to man) 2) enthusiastic about recruiting and recruiting FL 3) will actually help the AD solicit more donors (see #1) 4) hallelujah he cares about complimentary football.

Reactions: Lurky and MBAKnight
Remember when Otis Anderson was gone because people tried to analyze his Twitter. DG is just riling you guys up man. Yeah he might have preferred the familiarity with Lebby. But there is nothing to not like about his situation here with Malzahn.
to be fair DG went a little farther than Otis by deleting every ucf pic when the news started to break, that is what started this .

A bunch of grown men following a 20 yr old college kid’s Twitter feed thinking every little thing means he’s going to now transfer. Give it a rest. The dudes solid, holding the team together while the team was in transition, even finalizing the recruiting of Titus without a HC (sure as shit wasn’t RS). He’s not transferring, he’s our QB and team leader and a damn good one at both.

On a side note, I had no idea GM was the OC of Tulsa back when they were actually an offensive force and not just defensively oriented like the most recent past. I remember as a student being at our first CCG in the Citrus bowl against them, we got smoked. Then returning the favor first year of the Bounce House (when it REALLY bounced). It was the start of a sorta CUSA rivalry if you will, along with ECU. They lit it up offensively for quite a few years, throwing and running the ball all over the place. I was also wanting Lebby, disappointed when GM was announced b/c I didn’t want a “retread”. But after all the pub, the pressers, the DC hire (which I love the hire) and realizing what he actually accomplished at AU in THAT division in THAT conference, more specifically against THAT team....I’m jumping on this Gus Bus or whatever I keep hearing about and I think this was THE best hire. He’s everything we have been wanting: 1) charismatic (unlike the shacket wearing turd who chewed the worst gum known to man) 2) enthusiastic about recruiting and recruiting FL 3) will actually help the AD solicit more donors (see #1) 4) hallelujah he cares about complimentary football.
When he was at Tulsa we were 2-1 against him. 2007 beat them twice abd in 08 we weren’t good.

When he was at Tulsa we were 2-1 against him. 2007 beat them twice abd in 08 we weren’t good.

Well, he was their OC so the 2-1 goes against their HC at the time. Just a blip on his coaching timeline but regardless he put up offensive production. Point is, I like the hire and DG will do just fine in this offense, see below....

TulsaEdit
During the 2007 season, Malzahn emerged as one of the premier offensive coordinators in the nation, as Tulsa ranked first in the nation in total yards per game, ahead of Texas Tech and Hawaii, and with a more balanced attack than both teams.[8] The Golden Hurricane also ranked 3rd in the nation in passing[9] and led their conference in scoring. Tulsa became the first team in NCAA history to have a 5,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard rusher and three 1,000-yard receivers in a single season.[10][11]

After the regular season, Malzahn interviewed for the open position at Arkansas once Nutt resigned in November 2007.[12]

In 2008, Tulsa was once again the nation's most prolific attack, leading with nearly 7,980 total yards of offense averaging 570 yards per game.[13] The Golden Hurricane were ranked second in the nation in scoring behind Oklahoma, scoring over 47 points per game.[14] Tulsa not only ranked second in the nation in scoring that year, but finished with the second highest scoring offense in the history of major college football. The offense was also the nation's most balanced attack, ranking fifth in the nation in rushing[15] and 9th in passing.[16] The Tulsa quarterbacks finished third in the nation in passing efficiency, behind only Oklahoma and Texas.[17]

Well, he was their OC so the 2-1 goes against their HC at the time. Just a blip on his coaching timeline but regardless he put up offensive production. Point is, I like the hire and DG will do just fine in this offense, see below....

TulsaEdit
During the 2007 season, Malzahn emerged as one of the premier offensive coordinators in the nation, as Tulsa ranked first in the nation in total yards per game, ahead of Texas Tech and Hawaii, and with a more balanced attack than both teams.[8] The Golden Hurricane also ranked 3rd in the nation in passing[9] and led their conference in scoring. Tulsa became the first team in NCAA history to have a 5,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard rusher and three 1,000-yard receivers in a single season.[10][11]

After the regular season, Malzahn interviewed for the open position at Arkansas once Nutt resigned in November 2007.[12]

In 2008, Tulsa was once again the nation's most prolific attack, leading with nearly 7,980 total yards of offense averaging 570 yards per game.[13] The Golden Hurricane were ranked second in the nation in scoring behind Oklahoma, scoring over 47 points per game.[14] Tulsa not only ranked second in the nation in scoring that year, but finished with the second highest scoring offense in the history of major college football. The offense was also the nation's most balanced attack, ranking fifth in the nation in rushing[15] and 9th in passing.[16] The Tulsa quarterbacks finished third in the nation in passing efficiency, behind only Oklahoma and Texas.[17]
3-1 when he’s part of staff.

A bunch of grown men following a 20 yr old college kid’s Twitter feed thinking every little thing means he’s going to now transfer. Give it a rest.
If you don't think he was weighing his options and thinking about his next steps you're delusional. College football is a business. Glad he made the decision to stay. I have to agree though that his options were limited. Tennessee is shat show, Ole Miss doesn't need a QB and he ain't about to sit behind anybody. Glad he made the right and best choice!

A bunch of grown men following anyone’s Twitter feed . . . smh.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT