ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Projection for 2017

Thanks. Interesting read. There are about 5-6 games that will determine if
our season is average, good or great.

I wouldn't be so quick to pencil in Memphis as a lost and at SMU, Cincinnati, and Temple as all wins. There could always be a slip up on the road.

I see almost no way that we aren't destroying Maine, FiU and Uconn. Also, I just don't see us losing to ECU

That should be an easy 4 wins.

ESPN? Looks like it is ucf247 projections. But, good read. The George O'leary bowl? geezus, are they trolling this forum? LOL....

I can guarantee that there won't be anyone embarrassing themselves and calling for Frosts head at the end of the season if we won 9 or more games.

So according to ESPN FPI simulations

Safe wins (won > 80%) - FIU, Maine, ECU, UConn
Safe losses (lost > 80%) - none
Likely wins (won > 60%) - Cincy
Likely losses (lost > 60%) - Georgia Tech
Toss ups (within 10% of 50/50) - Memphis, Maryland, Navy, SMU, Temple, USF

So 7 or 8 wins plus a bowl

Reactions: Mikesi
Thanks. Interesting read. There are about 5-6 games that will determine if
our season is average, good or great.

I wouldn't be so quick to pencil in Memphis as a lost and at SMU, Cincinnati, and Temple as all wins. There could always be a slip up on the road.

I see almost no way that we aren't destroying Maine, FiU and Uconn. Also, I just don't see us losing to ECU

That should be an easy 4 wins.
Yes, I worry about how the AAC may be sliding in competitive quality. Metrics will be poor again this year because P5 refuses to schedule AAC schools (who want home-and-away deals).

So according to ESPN FPI simulations

Safe wins (won > 80%) - FIU, Maine, ECU, UConn
Safe losses (lost > 80%) - none
Likely wins (won > 60%) - Cincy
Likely losses (lost > 60%) - Georgia Tech
Toss ups (within 10% of 50/50) - Memphis, Maryland, Navy, SMU, Temple, USF

So 7 or 8 wins plus a bowl
I don't necessarily believe that Georgia Tech is our toughest game. I think that Navy away is tougher. Maybe Maryland.

Reactions: Knight_Light
The games are based on ESPN FPI which with absolutely no games played is pretty much garbage. We will see how things shake out once the games start.

You guys have high expectations. I'm thinking this is a down year. We lost the entire Defensive backfield and I haven't seen any drastic Qb improvements or oline. Its difficult for me as a long time UCF fan to think we will be good. Especially after the disappointing cure bowl. Yes, UCF should be better than last year, however, every other team should be improved also. I'm going with 5 wins, maybe 6 to make a bowl. I think next year we get back into being a really good team. Usually takes 3 years for a new coach to make a dent. but, of course, here is the usual disclaimer and hoping I'm wrong. Go Knights!

Reactions: Knight In TN
You guys have high expectations. I'm thinking this is a down year. We lost the entire Defensive backfield and I haven't seen any drastic Qb improvements or oline. Its difficult for me as a long time UCF fan to think we will be good. Especially after the disappointing cure bowl. Yes, UCF should be better than last year, however, every other team should be improved also. I'm going with 5 wins, maybe 6 to make a bowl. I think next year we get back into being a really good team. Usually takes 3 years for a new coach to make a dent. but, of course, here is the usual disclaimer and hoping I'm wrong. Go Knights!
You saw 1 game, a held back game at that and say you havent seen "drastic" improvements in either QB or Line???
Thats like judging an investments 5 year return on 1 day of bad trading...not enough evidence to make a true judgement. I agree, we have alot of work i want to see before i give us a true judgement, i want to see how we fare against memphis, but honestly, 8 wins isnt an astronomical projection, in fact very realistic.

If we can win 6 games, and then lose all but 2 by a TD or less to very good teams, all in a very down year at that with a super young team, 8 games with a slightly better team especially on O, and our defensive secondary is AS talented if not more talented by miles on paper. Hopefully the talent translates, if it does, our secondary has i think 4, 4 stars in it who were ESPN 300 players....they could wreak havoc on people.

I don't see any way the 2017 team (in overall play and record) is worse than 2016 unless everyone gets injured.

Reactions: Miltonian
I don't see any way the 2017 team (in overall play and record) is worse than 2016 unless everyone gets injured.
Exactly, injuries are the only real thing that can fully derail anyone. Other than that, unless we just massively suck it up on one side of the ball, no reason we dont get 7-8

, however, every other team should be improved also.
Temple is better? They lost a ton of talent.

USF is better with a new coach and losing Mack and Adams?

Cincinnati is better with a new coach?

FIU is a dumpster fire.

UConn lost talent and has a new coach

Reactions: UCFProf
Temple is better? They lost a ton of talent.

USF is better with a new coach and losing Mack and Adams?

Cincinnati is better with a new coach?

FIU is a dumpster fire.

UConn lost talent and has a new coach
UCONN has a new QB who knows he had no shot at playing here though. They should be better???

Reactions: Mikesi
UCF was better last year with a new coach. New coaches inject energy in a program. Also, unknown strategies that could surprise some teams. Sorry, I still have a sour taste after the cure bowl. It wasn't too long ago. Like I said hopefully I'm wrong. 6 wins would be good. More would be icing on cake. I do think we will be better, at least hoping! Long time UCF fan here. Been going to games since 1985. I never expect us to be any good in the Spring/Summer. We have a great head coach that can keep us in an upward trajectory. But, as I see it we are still mediocre. Gotta prove on the field and not on a ESPN computer simulation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT