ADVERTISEMENT

UCF to the NIT?

If there was ever a game to say “so and so” was outcoached, this was it. The beginning of that game was all about USF’s dynamic defenses utterly perplexing the entire team. That’s what got them in a huge hole early. Things were figured out in the second half but then it was about the individual players, with our missed free throws and their 3 point prowess
Last week someone mentioned that USF plays best at a fast pace. When we started out slowing the game and going down low to our big guys and easily scoring that appeared to be a great approach. But then we missed a couple and instead of keeping it up and crashing the boards, we changed our approach to speed up the game and gave the game to them. Their 49 points in the first half, many on fast breaks or open 3's on the run, was the ballgame. So, I agree, we got outcoached in the first half and it cost us the game.

I'm glad the season's over so I don't hafta hear about your ****ing "Keys to Success" anymore.
FAU goes to the Final 4 playing in a garage , Donnie Jones leads Stetson to the tournament and we act like Johnny is coaching at some desolate dump that is hard to recruit to . He was coaching here pre NIL too

Houston lost to TCU mid season, announcers bring up that Houston walked into the game wanting revenge. It took 8 minutes for TCU to score a single point.

USF swept UCF last season with a lame duck coach. USF had a meltdown over the weekend, resulting instead of playing in tournament to traveling for NIT.

No reason for UCF to be the team that comes out flat, no confidence in Dawkins to have a team fired up for any situation. There won't be any rivalry in B12, because Dawkins has no interest in that aspect of game.

we are a good defensive team…but get murdered by the 3 (see BYU twice, Stetson, etc). usf is a 3 point shooting team, we had no chance. Continue to recruit…practice free throws and 3-point shots b/c god we suck at them both. Unbelievably suck at them both.

Reactions: mattropolis
we are a good defensive team…but get murdered by the 3 (see BYU twice, Stetson, etc). usf is a 3 point shooting team, we had no chance. Continue to recruit…practice free throws and 3-point shots b/c god we suck at them both. Unbelievably suck at them both.
Dawkins is a bad coach, that is why the Knights lost.

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
Let me preface this post by saying I do not care, I do not have a dog in the fight, and I have not watched one clip of UCF basketball.

That being said, the talk of retaining and extending Johnny Hawkins is laughable. Why? He has done nothing to deserve to be the coach at UCF.

He averages an NCAA Tournament appearance once every 8 years. He has made six NIT appearances. That is the football equivalent of reaching the Boca Raton or Gasparilla Bowls in good years.

Angry Harrison Ford GIF

He is .500 in conference play in eight seasons at UCF and that is marked improvement over his .458 mark in league play at Stanford. How much better will that 60-year-old be in Years 9 or 10 in Orlando?

If the guy's contract is running out and UCF opts to renew it, it speaks volumes about the expectations and standards of UCF athletics for years to come.

Did y'all really hang a banner for winning a game in the NIT?

Again, dude is 60. How many years does he really have left? Put him out to pasture.

In the old days, a school would fire the women's basketball coach and make a coach like Dawkins take over that program. Average to below average would be an improvement for women's basketball at UCF.

But again, I do not care. That cat will never amount to anything and will never outshine Gus.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattropolis
Let me preface this post by saying I do not care, I do not have a dog in the fight, and I have not watched one clip of UCF basketball.

That being said, the talk of retaining and extending Johnny Hawkins is laughable. Why? He has done nothing to deserve to be the coach at UCF.

He averages an NCAA Tournament appearance once every 8 years. He has made six NIT appearances. That is the football equivalent of reaching the Boca Raton or Gasparilla Bowls in good years.

Angry Harrison Ford GIF

He is .500 in conference play in eight seasons at UCF and that is an improvement over his .458 at Stanford. How much better will he be in Years 9 or 10 in Orlando?

If the guy's contract is running out and UCF opts to renew it, it speaks volumes about the expectations and standards of UCF athletics for years to come.

Did y'all really hang a banner for winning a game in the NIT?

But again, I do not care. That cat will never amount to anything and will never outshine Gus.
Lol. Finally something that I agree with this lunatic on. Dawkins single handed destroyed a thriving Stanford baskeball program…the man is a terrible coach. Get rid of him now.

Johnny has the support of the press covering UCF sports (a very small but influential group)…including the owner of this site. Why? Simple…he’s a genuinely nice guy and his kind to the press.

However, Dawkins has minimal support from boosters or the people who finance NIL…Malzon has a monopoly on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poolside Knight
Of course Johnny gets another year because they “exceeded expectations” in the first season in the big 12. But this loss should be considered damaging to his resume. Same thing for Gus getting blown out in the bowl game with just about all of his players sticking around. I think that Gus and Johnny are on similar planes for this upcoming season. Both get a “pass” for mediocre seasons because of the first season in a new conference. But there needs to be a bump in performance in order to justify keeping them around. For Gus, it’s at least an 8-4 season. For Johnny, the expectations can be slightly lower, so I think it’s at least getting to .500 in conference play.

duh*bulls get to host a game:

VCU advances to play at South Florida on Sunday at 7:30 p.m. in the second round. The Bulls (25-7) won at UCF 83-77 in the first round on Tuesday night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT