ADVERTISEMENT

FALL Camp has begun!! ⚔️🖤💛

I have a really good feeling about this years defense. We saw the improvement late in the season last year....NOW with the new additions I think they are going to give teams fits. You win championships with defense. That was GOL strength for many years as he excelled on defense, and ran a balanced offense with ball control. Not saying GUS will run a ball control offense just a flashback to how GOL won Division Titles

Reactions: tjb74
I have a really good feeling about this years defense. We saw the improvement late in the season last year....NOW with the new additions I think they are going to give teams fits. You win championships with defense. That was GOL strength for many years as he excelled on defense, and ran a balanced offense with ball control. Not saying GUS will run a ball control offense just a flashback to how GOL won Division Titles
hard to win that way in college football the last 5+
years. That used to be the Saban formula but he has adjusted

Reactions: Yaes
Gus announced to world they were going to run mostly. That was dumb. LBs knew they could follow ball and not have to worry about TEs or anyone else going out on routes. Didnt make sense to tell defense that.
UCF knew Georgia Tech was going to run the ball last year.

Seventy-six rushes for 348 yards later, UCF knew it couldn't stop the run.

Can’t forget about Landon Woodson at DE. The DL talent and depth is looking really good. The talent coming in through recruiting only to strengthen, haven’t seen this kind of talent depth here in a while (if ever? 😬).

I’ve heard it said in a few press conferences that Landon Woodson and Quade Mosier are the only 2 being held out of practice because of injury. I know Mosier had shoulder surgery but has anyone heard anything about Landon’s injury??

I’ve heard it said in a few press conferences that Landon Woodson and Quade Mosier are the only 2 being held out of practice because of injury. I know Mosier had shoulder surgery but has anyone heard anything about Landon’s injury??
Wasn't Bowser held out of something?

Beginning at 3:15 you can see that Landon Woodson has a cast on his right hand. Hopefully he can be ready before Louisville.

Why does it often seem that the QB competition is tight?
It seems like we get to this point often in camps where it looks like the QB competition is tight. However, in a game it boils down to whether the playmaking ability or lack of playmaking ability of the QB makes the difference.

In non-contact situations for QB it is difficult if not impossible to judge who is going to be your best game QB. If you are only looking at fieldmanship or running the offense factor of the QB position it ignores the reality of the truth that during a game there are always non-scripted plays made by the QB which keep the chains moving.

If these 2 QBs play is the same you have to consider two things: 1) Last season the defense bailed out the offense ran by Keene in many of our games because if the called play wasn't there he couldn't do much to change the outcome; 2) Plumlee tape shows what he can do when a play isn't there. I just hope we don't see a replay of the past like we did with GOL where we had to lose multiple games before he relented and gave into the fact that fieldmanship alone shouldn't determine who your starter QB should be.

If all we had was the freshmen Castellanos right now I'd probably be making my case for him to be the QB starter. I watched almost a full season of Keene last year and didn't see glimmers of a talented Dual QB. You don't achieve a championship season without a QB who is both a good field general and playmaker (usually with their legs and running ability). And if you remember I said the same thing about the QB situation last season with Dillon, great arm but liked to fall down on the ground if (?) he made it past the line of scrimmage.

Why does it often seem that the QB competition is tight?
It seems like we get to this point often in camps where it looks like the QB competition is tight. However, in a game it boils down to whether the playmaking ability or lack of playmaking ability of the QB makes the difference.

In non-contact situations for QB it is difficult if not impossible to judge who is going to be your best game QB. If you are only looking at fieldmanship or running the offense factor of the QB position it ignores the reality of the truth that during a game there are always non-scripted plays made by the QB which keep the chains moving.

If these 2 QBs play is the same you have to consider two things: 1) Last season the defense bailed out the offense ran by Keene in many of our games because if the called play wasn't there he couldn't do much to change the outcome; 2) Plumlee tape shows what he can do when a play isn't there. I just hope we don't see a replay of the past like we did with GOL where we had to lose multiple games before he relented and gave into the fact that fieldmanship alone shouldn't determine who your starter QB should be.

If all we had was the freshmen Castellanos right now I'd probably be making my case for him to be the QB starter. I watched almost a full season of Keene last year and didn't see glimmers of a talented Dual QB. You don't achieve a championship season without a QB who is both a good field general and playmaker (usually with their legs and running ability).
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face! -Mike Tyson

You are spot on, Keene can be a good qb if protections don’t break down and his first read gets open. Under pressure there are 2 outcomes for him: deep ball to coach malzahn or a 9 yd loss from a sack.

JRP can take a possible sack into a 70yd td. We dont know his throwing ability yet but if he can complete 60% of his passes and pickup crucial first downs with his legs, our offense will wear out teams

If Plumlee is doing everything Keene is doing, there wouldn't be a competition at this point. I don't think the players and staff is blind to the fact that one QB is significantly more athletic and has a better chance to improvise. On top of that Plumlee was recruited by Malzahn, fits his style of offense more.

More likely the reason why players/coaches feel its close, Plumlee isn't running the offense as well because of various reasons (rust, knowledge of playbook, accuracy, ect.) so its not a cut and dry decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wings0fred
If Plumlee is doing everything Keene is doing, there wouldn't be a competition at this point. I don't think the players and staff is blind to the fact that one QB is significantly more athletic and has a better chance to improvise. On top of that Plumlee was recruited by Malzahn, fits his style of offense more.

More likely the reason why players/coaches feel its close, Plumlee isn't running the offense as well because of various reasons (rust, knowledge of playbook, accuracy, ect.) so its not a cut and dry decision.
Or they were told to not give opinions on the position and not to release who will be starting. Even if one of them is clear starter, you want them to keep competing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT