ADVERTISEMENT

First potential draft pick Lakers took a look at: Tacko Fall

UCFProf

Golden Knight
Nov 13, 2011
usa_today_9978327.0.jpg

"Workout season is officially underway and just as everyone predicted, the first potential draft pick the Los Angeles Lakers took a look at is Tacko Fall."
Also:
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000208-sports-and-racing-nba/75313277

You guys realize there was a story that the Falcons loved Holman too? A picture with Tacko and Magic doesn't mean much. I would think the Orlando Magic in late first round would be more realistic.

This makes the NBA draft lottery that much more interesting.

Lakes currently have #3 (depends on the lottery) #28 and #33. They will only keep 2 of the three. If they fall outside of the top 3 the Sixers will get the lottery pick this year and Magic will get a #1 in 2019. If they get one of the top 3 the magic get the #33 pick this year (and another next year) to go along with #5 (depends on lottery), #25 & #35.

You have to think that if anyone would be the one to pick Tacko it would be the Magic.....right?

What is possible is below the radar race to trade up that pushes Tacko's stock up. L.A.'s a great place for Tacko, with his winning personality and spectacular plays, but even they may have to give up some players or draft picks to move up in the draft. Right now, there's only 3 pseudo-centers (6-10 and 7-0) projected to go in the first 23 picks, Lakers' second pick is at #28.

Several GM's are under big-time pressure to strike it rich in the draft. The one thing GMs are remembered for is passing on a critical building block to a future championship. A bidding war could push Fall up a dozen or more places into decent money. Bortles was nowhere in the mock draft rankings when he declared for the NFL. A lot depends on how Tacko's workouts go and who thinks they know how to develop his potential.

Reactions: UCFhonors
This makes the NBA draft lottery that much more interesting.

Lakes currently have #3 (depends on the lottery) #28 and #33. They will only keep 2 of the three. If they fall outside of the top 3 the Sixers will get the lottery pick this year and Magic will get a #1 in 2019. If they get one of the top 3 the magic get the #33 pick this year (and another next year) to go along with #5 (depends on lottery), #25 & #35.

You have to think that if anyone would be the one to pick Tacko it would be the Magic.....right?

What's the logic for the Magic being more likely to take him? I hope you not thinking of a hometown player because he is from a different country.

Nobody's ready and most college top players never will. The NBA develops it's players.

those are a lot of words that are meaningless for Tacko....his decision has nothing to do with "the NBA develops its players"....it's all about the Benjamins...if he's guaranteed $$ he leaves....if not he returns

accepting a non-guaranteed contract this year makes no sense... he has too much to gain by returning to school and earning a guaranteed contract next year....if he leaves for a non-guaranteed contract this year he's stupid....and Tacko's not stupid.....

btw, there may be an outside chance that some team takes a flyer on Tacko at the end of the first round (ex. the Lakers)...I think it depends on keeping their top 3 pick or not...in any case, if it happened it would be an amazing year for Tacko, especially remembering where his game was at the end of his frosh year.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Stormthecourt?
those are a lot of words that are meaningless for Tacko....his decision has nothing to do with "the NBA develops its players"....it's all about the Benjamins...if he's guaranteed $$ he leaves....if not he returns

accepting a non-guaranteed contract this year makes no sense... he has too much to gain by returning to school and earning a guaranteed contract next year....if he leaves for a non-guaranteed contract this year he's stupid....and Tacko's not stupid.....

btw, there may be an outside chance that some team takes a flyer on Tacko at the end of the first round (ex. the Lakers)...I think it depends on keeping their top 3 pick or not...in any case, if it happened it would be an amazing year for Tacko, especially remembering where his game was at the end of his frosh year.....
I've totally agreed with your first 2 paragraphs. But Tacko's game dramatically improved the last 10 games of his frosh year (while the rest of the team gave up). All it takes are a handful of NBA teams to want him for him to get big bucks. But just one guarantee to get him to leave.

19 of last year's players drafted weren't invited to the combine
26 of those invited to the combine were not draft
Suck on them stats!
Of the 26 how many went back to school? I see a good amount that attended went back. That opens the door for others. Also how many of the 19 that didn't attend but got drafted were in first round? Please don't confuse not being invited with not attending like Simmons and Sabonis.

Tick.. tick. tick. Soon enough some of us are going to look really smart and some of us aren't. At this point it's pretty much up in the air. Got to give him credit, Prof definitely is laying it all out there.

Of the 26 how many went back to school? I see a good amount that attended went back. That opens the door for others. Also how many of the 19 that didn't attend but got drafted were in first round? Please don't confuse not being invited with not attending like Simmons and Sabonis.
I didn't include the ones invited who didn't attend (such as the number 1 and 2 picks in 2016).
Virtually half (9 of the 19) were in the first round.
Yes, I noticed a few who returned to school (notably Hart of Villanova). But some who returned (like Lawson of Memphis) are returning for their senior year in 2017, which shows how imperfect the draft combine invitation selection process is. Many others didn't return because they were already seniors (or had hired agents) and decided to take their chances on the draft on latching on as an undrafted free agent.

Which brings us to the Combine invitation process itself. This year, perhaps because so many invited weren't drafted (or were told they wouldn't be), they invited ten fewer. However, that doesn't address (and even worsens) the flaw in the system that doesn't invite players only a handful of teams show interest in, especially "true" NBA centers -- not the 6-10, 230 lb. invited this year. They are listed as centers (or F/C), but are really either shot-blocking power forwards invited this year or those who prefer shooting 3's or they drive to the basket more than score with their back to the basket. Of course, most NBA clubs aren't interested because they aren't interested in drafting any true center. Most coaches have been wedded to small-ball types of offense, the style that's been dominating the playoffs. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and no physical specimens have been out there to challenge that paradigm!

I didn't include the ones invited who didn't attend (such as the number 1 and 2 picks in 2016).
Virtually half (9 of the 19) were in the first round.
Yes, I noticed a few who returned to school (notably Hart of Villanova). But some who returned (like Lawson of Memphis) are returning for their senior year in 2017, which shows how imperfect the draft combine invitation selection process is. Many others didn't return because they were already seniors (or had hired agents) and decided to take their chances on the draft on latching on as an undrafted free agent.

Which brings us to the Combine invitation process itself. This year, perhaps because so many invited weren't drafted (or were told they wouldn't be), they invited ten fewer. However, that doesn't address (and even worsens) the flaw in the system that doesn't invite players only a handful of teams show interest in, especially "true" NBA centers -- not the 6-10, 230 lb. invited this year. They are listed as centers (or F/C), but are really either shot-blocking power forwards invited this year or those who prefer shooting 3's or they drive to the basket more than score with their back to the basket. Of course, most NBA clubs aren't interested because they aren't interested in drafting any true center. Most coaches have been wedded to small-ball types of offense, the style that's been dominating the playoffs. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and no physical specimens have been out there to challenge that paradigm!
How many of the 9 were foreign players? Seems like they don't get invited or don't show up.

How many of the 9 were foreign players? Seems like they don't get invited or don't show up.
Took you long enough to discover my lying-with-statistics ruse.
All but 2 of the 19 never played a day at an American college! And 8 others were foreign nationals who played at U.S. colleges. So nearly half weren't U.S. citizens. The reality of the NBA for quite a while is that it is an international game. It used to be the NBA had to have token white players to boost attendance in many of their cities. Abroad, teams aren't allowed to have too many American players. We are already doing that here in a more subtle way, because lack of U.S. players depress attendance and cable ratings, not to mention merchandise sales. Ask the Magic.

The fact is that college is no longer a feeder to the NBA. Without the age rule, the NBA would go back to drafting freshman as prospects and just expand their developmental league operations a bit more. College playing experience is just not relevant enough and develops too many bad habits because of their rules.

Took you long enough to discover my lying-with-statistics ruse.
All but 2 of the 19 never played a day at an American college! And 8 others were foreign nationals who played at U.S. colleges. So nearly half weren't U.S. citizens. The reality of the NBA for quite a while is that it is an international game. It used to be the NBA had to have token white players to boost attendance in many of their cities. Abroad, teams aren't allowed to have too many American players. We are already doing that here in a more subtle way, because lack of U.S. players depress attendance and cable ratings, not to mention merchandise sales. Ask the Magic.

The fact is that college is no longer a feeder to the NBA. Without the age rule, the NBA would go back to drafting freshman as prospects and just expand their developmental league operations a bit more. College playing experience is just not relevant enough and develops too many bad habits because of their rules.

you,... a ruse? IMHO, I'll bet that reading your posts are only a small taste of your ability to deceive:)....but I agree with Mikesi, you're willing to put it all out there with your prediction about Tacko....you know that we come from the same era (and i know quite a few bs'ers like you) so, to quote the boys in the locker room "you've got some balls Prof" .....

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikesi
you,... a ruse? IMHO, I'll bet that reading your posts are only a small taste of your ability to deceive:)....but I agree with Mikesi, you're willing to put it all out there with your prediction about Tacko....you know that we come from the same era (and i know quite a few bs'ers like you) so, to quote the boys in the locker room "you've got some balls Prof" .....
But notice, unlike them, they are always sure about outcomes that can't be known until they happen in the future. when I was the only one here to say Marcus was likely to leave or that Tacko was, too, or that the best hire was Dawkins and his team would likely do a lot better this past season, or that Wilson was our best back, or that Godfrey needed to start, or Blake should replace Godfrey, I was just relying on that experience to argue that posters shouldn't rush to judgement. Just like anybody, I've sometimes let my hopes get the better of objectiveness, but not too often, I hope.

Looking back, we probably would be better off if Godfrey never started. You thought Marcus was going to leave for NBA?

Looking back, we probably would be better off if Godfrey never started. You thought Marcus was going to leave for NBA?
GOL should have replaced Godfrey earlier in 2011. He was very good in 2010. Once his style was figured out, he was done. GOL picked up on it, but a little too late IMO.

But notice, unlike them, they are always sure about outcomes that can't be known until they happen in the future. when I was the only one here to say Marcus was likely to leave or that Tacko was, too, or that the best hire was Dawkins and his team would likely do a lot better this past season, or that Wilson was our best back, or that Godfrey needed to start, or Blake should replace Godfrey, I was just relying on that experience to argue that posters shouldn't rush to judgement. Just like anybody, I've sometimes let my hopes get the better of objectiveness, but not too often, I hope.
Prof, it looks like you throw a bunch of toilet paper on the wall and see what sticks. Eventually you'll hit a bullseye. Honestly, most of your predictions aren't based on any facts and are way out there. Your observations as well. It's just my observation and opinion.

No worries though, when you are wrong we all will gladly call you out on it.

Reactions: Nyght Shadow
No, that Marcus would not return for his senior year. I also thought it classless how posters seldom gave him the love he deserved for selflessly doing everything demanded of him, and more.
Do you remember the QB that GOL started Godfrey's freshman the season with? Hint: he was couldn't complete a pass. He was later switched to our Wild Knight offense, where defenses knew he offered no threat as a passer (or runner).

Prof, it looks like you throw a bunch of toilet paper on the wall and see what sticks. Eventually you'll hit a bullseye. Honestly, most of your predictions aren't based on any facts and are way out there. Your observations as well. It's just my observation and opinion.

No worries though, when you are wrong we all will gladly call you out on it.
More hyperbole. Why not say sometimes? Or give at least an example. You seem knowledgeable but always quick to give up on UCF or its players and coaches. Don't rush to judgment or use absolutes in most every sentence of every post.

Reactions: BigXIIOrBust
More hyperbole. Why not say sometimes? Or give at least an example. You seem knowledgeable but always quick to give up on UCF or its players and coaches. Don't rush to judgment or use absolutes in most every sentence of every post.
"Most" was not an absolute last time I took a Philosophy and English class.

Which UCF coach am I giving up on?

Which UCF player have I given up on? I've been critical of Milton, but I haven't given up on him. Not at all

hy·per·bo·le
hīˈpərbəlē/
noun
  1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
    synonyms: exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, embroidery, embellishment, excess, overkill, rhetoric; More
I somewhat have to disagree with this assessment of me.

"Most" was not an absolute last time I took a Philosophy and English class.
it looks like you throw a bunch of toilet paper on the wall and see what sticks. Eventually you'll hit a bullseye.
That's as close to absolute as one could get! That any hits are pure dumb luck at random. Equivalent to saying even a stopped clock is right twice a day. And the other difference is most of my (or those of others posters) are observations, analysis, news, etc. and not predictions at all.

Reactions: UCFhonors
That's as close to absolute as one could get! That any hits are pure dumb luck at random. Equivalent to saying even a stopped clock is right twice a day. And the other difference is most of my (or those of others posters) are observations, analysis, news, etc. and not predictions at all.
most
[mohst]
adjective, superl. of muchor many with more as compar.
  1. in the greatest quantity, amount, measure, degree, or number: to win the most votes.

2. in the majority of instances: Most operations are successful.
Most is not close to absolute. I'm disappointed in you

A lot of your sources are based on fake news, and your analysis are an inaccurate interpretation of the facts, or not based on facts at all; with a few biased opinions and way out there statements thrown around

Just saying.

Last edited:
Have the Lakers officially announced that they will be drafting Tacko???

No

Have the Lakers told CBSsports.com that they will be drafting Tacko??

Highly doubtful

Fake news!

Like all UCF fans, I want Tacko to stay. I'm shocked if everyone doesn't realize it's great for UCF in the long run if Tacko gets drafted this year.

Really there is no debating either point.

Reactions: Mikesi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT