ADVERTISEMENT

First potential draft pick Lakers took a look at: Tacko Fall

I've come to realize that with this much depth who are suppose to be really good - Tacko could hinder the development of this team.

We play a special brand of basketball with Tacko. When he is on the bench, its a different game. I know Tacko can win us lots of games. I rather have him than not. But we are good with just having one scholly sr. Without him, this year will be a gelling year and next year we will be stacked.

I wish UCF would devote all of its reasources into basketball right now. We have way more potential in basketball being in a major conference in a sport that has a legit NC than football. Football has already peaked especially with this BS playoff and postseason. The sky is the limit for basketball.

Real talk, one of the biggest things that I've learned from going to tons of practices is how much assistant coaches matter. HCs get all the credit and criticism. If I was a betting man, my number one factor on bets would be on assistant coaches (coordinators for football). I never liked the assistant coaches under Donnie.

Robbie, Jemill, and Kevin all seem legit. I like Kevin the most. Robbie has the most experience- probably the Xs and Os guy. Jemill seems like the recruiter - which is our biggest opportunity, and IMHO is Johnny's biggest weakness.

The biggest thing for UCF sports to do is make a championship run. I think basketball is the best setup to do just that.

Last edited:
I've come to realize that with this much depth who are suppose to be really good - Tacko could hinder the development of this team.

We play a special brand of basketball with Tacko. When he is on the bench, its a different game. I know Tacko can when us lots of games. I rather have him than not. But we are good with just having one scholly sr. Without him, this year will be a gelling year and next year we will be stacked.

I wish UCF would devote all of its reasources into basketball right now. We have way for potential in basketball being in a major conference in a sport that has a legit NC than football. Football has already peaked especially with this BS playoff and postseason. The sky is the limit for basketball.

Real talk, one of the biggest things that I've learned from going to tons of practices is how much assistant coaches matter. HCs get all the credit and criticism. If I was a betting man, my number one factor on bets would be assistant coaches (coordinators for football). I never liked the assistant coaches under Donnie.

Robbie, Jemill, and Kevin all seem legit. I like Kevin the most. Robbie has the most experience- probably the Xs and Os guy. Jemill seems like the recruiter - which is our biggest opportunity, and IMHO is Johnny's biggest weakness.

The biggest thing for UCF sports to do is make a championship run. I think basketball is the best setup to do just that.
I think our best chance is softball

Really? Why is that?

We have had to the same coach for years. Successful, yes. But not super excited about them.
I was just thinking that would be the easiest sport to recruit two stud pitchers and ride them to a national title.

I was just thinking that would be the easiest sport to recruit two stud pitchers and ride them to a national title.

Guess I don't know that much about softball. I get a softball pitcher can be one of the most dominating players in all sports.

I suspect there are just far fewer really good softball players. If the pool is smaller and the limited scholarships means there is probably no margin of error with recruiting.

Only positive things can happen from him coming back. Chances are that he won't get injured. He needs to improve his game and "convince" or "fool" a team into drafting him high and paying him the big bucks. No NBA exec is convinced yet.

Only positive things can happen from him coming back. Chances are that he won't get injured. He needs to improve his game and "convince" or "fool" a team into drafting him high and paying him the big bucks. No NBA exec is convinced yet.
If any of them were they need to step down.

we'd love to have him back...he makes UCF a team to watch next year and the media knows it...I really think that if Tacko continues to improve in the areas mentioned in the article, there will be an NBA exec who places a bet on him in the future....meanwhile, keep working and improve your game Tacko....and know that we're happy to have you playing for UCF

• No need to speculate. We'll know in a few days when Tacko must decide if he withdraws name.
  • Crucial factor: if at least one NBA team informs him he'll be drafted high enough.
  • If he commits to draft, we won't know details about those factors til late June draft (if then).
  • It's win-win for UCF: if he returns, he's a commodity for ticket sales, TV coverage, winning record.
  • If leaves, will be our highest draft pick, helps Dawkins' big-man recruiting, lots of PR for school.
  • I've considered pros/cons and concluded his leaving helps UCF the most (and best for Tacko).

• No need to speculate. We'll know in a few days when Tacko must decide if he withdraws name.
  • Crucial factor: if at least one NBA team informs him he'll be drafted high enough.
  • If he commits to draft, we won't know details about those factors til late June draft (if then).
  • It's win-win for UCF: if he returns, he's a commodity for ticket sales, TV coverage, winning record.
  • If leaves, will be our highest draft pick, helps Dawkins' big-man recruiting, lots of PR for school.
  • I've considered pros/cons and concluded his leaving helps UCF the most (and best for Tacko).
You know there's a lose-lose where a team lies to him and he doesn't get drafted at all

Now for the specifics about the Sentinel article, the same paper that once conducted a poll whose results made Shaq so upset that he left for the Lakers, taking away the Magic's future forever:

"The Orlando Sentinel posed that question to NBA talent evaluators and agents during the NBA Draft Combine, and their response was unanimous"
Sentinel has an interest in keeping Tacko here, had its top columnist write to that effect. How many agents/evaluators did they ask (3, 10, 24)? How did they select them? Why would slimy agents be honest if they hope to sign Tacko? they'd say, "nothing to see here, move along."
"He needs to work on his game"
Which he won't be able to here. The college game, with its close 3-pt arc, longer clock, lack of athleticism, zone defenses, and no decent centers (top AAC centers graduated) offer little relevant experience -- and teach lots of bad habits -- for NBA prospects. Evidence: NBA draft choices play 1 (or at most 2) year of college ball or got their experience internationally. The NBA drafts purely for potential and physical ability.
"Most of the league’s teams have embraced small ball and are using smaller, quicker players who can shoot from long range and spread out opposing defenses...So there’s still a place, but he has to be ready when he makes that jump. But he’s moving in the right direction.”
Nobody in this year's draft is "ready" for the NBA yet Tacko needs to be? But speaking out of the other side of their mouths, there never will be a place for guys like him (even though there are no others like him). Perhaps the pro game has changed because there are so few (or any) players like Tacko? All it takes is one team to see that to have a goldmine.

Now for the specifics about the Sentinel article, the same paper that once conducted a poll whose results made Shaq so upset that he left for the Lakers, taking away the Magic's future forever:

"The Orlando Sentinel posed that question to NBA talent evaluators and agents during the NBA Draft Combine, and their response was unanimous"
Sentinel has an interest in keeping Tacko here, had its top columnist write to that effect. How many agents/evaluators did they ask (3, 10, 24)? How did they select them? Why would slimy agents be honest if they hope to sign Tacko? they'd say, "nothing to see here, move along."
Which he won't be able to here. The college game, with its close 3-pt arc, longer clock, lack of athleticism, zone defenses, and no decent centers (top AAC centers graduated) offer little relevant experience -- and teach lots of bad habits -- for NBA prospects. Evidence: NBA draft choices play 1 (or at most 2) year of college ball or got their experience internationally. The NBA drafts purely for potential and physical ability.
"Most of the league’s teams have embraced small ball and are using smaller, quicker players who can shoot from long range and spread out opposing defenses...So there’s still a place, but he has to be ready when he makes that jump. But he’s moving in the right direction.”
Nobody in this year's draft is "ready" for the NBA yet Tacko needs to be? But speaking out of the other side of their mouths, there never will be a place for guys like him (even though there are no others like him). Perhaps the pro game has changed because there are so few (or any) players like Tacko? All it takes is one team to see that to have a goldmine.
Some of what you say is true. Only 4 or 5 rookies a year are "ready" for NBA. But the others are ready to be drafted. Tacko isn't. Buddy Hield played 4 years of college and he was decent this past year.

This SI Article also shows that very little difference in amount of years you go to college if you are good enough.
https://www.si.com/nba/point-forwar...mott-nba-draft-college-four-year-one-and-done

It's all about fooling the NBA Execs into thinking you're good enough and paying you the money whether you're the real deal or not. Especially for a project/unknown like Tacko. If you are good, then you have a long NBA career. If not, you got the one large first contract.

You can fool them somewhat while you're still playing in college. You can't fool them after you get drafted in the second round and flop in the D-league or in training camp.

It's all about fooling the NBA Execs into thinking you're good enough and paying you the money whether you're the real deal or not. Especially for a project/unknown like Tacko. If you are good, then you have a long NBA career. If not, you got the one large first contract.

You can fool them somewhat while you're still playing in college. You can't fool them after you get drafted in the second round and flop in the D-league or in training camp.
You're actually largely correct in a way. As in Hollywood, there's an awful lot of luck involved. There's so much talent out there and so many players to choose from. A team must take a chance on you, and then nurture that investment with top coaching that melds players into a winning squad. That's so evident when we watch the best NBA clubs sweep through the playoffs. Opponents often have just as much talent, but don't have the team chemistry or coaching to take advantage of it.

You're actually largely correct in a way. As in Hollywood, there's an awful lot of luck involved. There's so much talent out there and so many players to choose from. A team must take a chance on you, and then nurture that investment with top coaching that melds players into a winning squad. That's so evident when we watch the best NBA clubs sweep through the playoffs. Opponents often have just as much talent, but don't have the team chemistry or coaching to take advantage of it.
That's also not true. Lebron and a few others have mentioned there are too many teams and not enough talent to supply them. He wants retraction so they don't have to play bad teams. There are also 3 or so guys per team that never play. They shouldn't be in league but the rosters have to be filled. It's not coaching or chemistry that mostly wins in NBA but talent. That's why a guy like Mike Brown can be forced out of Cleveland by Lebron and then picked up by Golden State and they still have a legit shot at winning it all. I can coach Cleveland and GS and they'd be in same position.

Come back to reality Prof....you tend to exaggerate a lot and pick snippets to comment on, not the entire article.....Tacko will work on his game at UCF and, in fact, if you comprehend the article you'd know the NBA experts are very complimentary about the improvements he's already made...and he made those improvements at UCF....so what next? He needs to work on his defensive mobility and offensive game....this is why he declared (without an agent), so that he can learn exactly what he needs to work on...and I'm sure Johnny will put a plan in place for Tacko to work hard on those things this offseason...but it's really up to Tacko to improve in these areas...if he wants it badly enough he'll execute the plan, do the work and earn an opportunity to play in the NBA in the near future....a great year (or two if necessary) at UCF followed by a first round draft choice would be an amazing finish to his UCF career....

So., basically his luck and a team taking a chance will be better next year. That's what it's all about. The NBA money. If you agree this to be true, then we agree.

Look at Tebow, Vince Young, all the NBA lottery busts, NFL combine stars.
They tricked some dumbass executive into thinking they were good and got paid.

After the first few stars, like a Lebron, it's largely a guessing game

Come back to reality Prof....you tend to exaggerate a lot and pick snippets to comment on, not the entire article.....Tacko will work on his game at UCF and, in fact, if you comprehend the article you'd know the NBA experts are very complimentary about the improvements he's already made...and he made those improvements at UCF....so what next? He needs to work on his defensive mobility and offensive game....this is why he declared (without an agent), so that he can learn exactly what he needs to work on...and I'm sure Johnny will put a plan in place for Tacko to work hard on those things this offseason...but it's really up to Tacko to improve in these areas...if he wants it badly enough he'll execute the plan, do the work and earn an opportunity to play in the NBA in the near future....a great year (or two if necessary) at UCF followed by a first round draft choice would be an amazing finish to his UCF career....

The Sentinel article is the one that is is being inconsistent with reality -- can't simultaneously say there's no place for a big center in the NBA and yet he'd benefit by working on his game -- when? where? Certainly not in college games with packed zone defenses that collapse on him. Several players invited last year to the combine (like Villanova's Hart and the Memphis forward) were told how they could benefit by staying in school and what to work on. Now, many/most are projecting Hart as mid-2nd round and the Memphis brothers decided to transfer (after regressing last year). I think of how Keith's game went to pot in his senior year because defenses were zones specifically designed to deny him touches.

The Sentinel article is the one that is is being inconsistent with reality -- can't simultaneously say there's no place for a big center in the NBA and yet he'd benefit by working on his game -- when? where? Certainly not in college games with packed zone defenses that collapse on him. Several players invited last year to the combine (like Villanova's Hart and the Memphis forward) were told how they could benefit by staying in school and what to work on. Now, many/most are projecting Hart as mid-2nd round and the Memphis brothers decided to transfer (after regressing last year). I think of how Keith's game went to pot in his senior year because defenses were zones specifically designed to deny him touches.

This conjecture is ridiculous....you disagree with experts who get paid to evaluate talent for a living and that's your prerogative....but Tacko has been told what to do, now it's up to him to improve in these areas....I do take issue with your suggesting that Tacko can't improve his game at UCF now that he knows what to work on....I believe that Tacko has the ability and fortitude to work on his game and continue to improve significantly so your comment is very impertinent.....

This conjecture is ridiculous....you disagree with experts who get paid to evaluate talent for a living and that's your prerogative
What! The lowest life forms. The guys who brought us 2 decades of losers. Have you ever seen how HR and search committees work. Most of the best selling new authors were rejected by all the publishing companies. It's a crap shoot and they know it. Anyway, they aren't going to be truthful to some newspaper if they want to get Tacko late in the first round. And as far as a non-skinny, 7-6 player, scouts have no experience because there haven't been any lately.

As far as improving his game, he has and much faster and farther than expected. But you believe he can benefit more by staying. Perhaps if he were at Kentucky or UNC (and only perhaps). This year and every year, the lottery is college frosh and 18-20 year old internationals.Most of the rest of the first round are frosh, sophomores, and extremely young internationals. So how does a 22 year old junior get lottery or near-lottery money next year? Huh?

He's already improved his game at UCF. Why would that all of a sudden stop??

I can't believe I have to state such obvious things

Reactions: Nyght Shadow
What! The lowest life forms. The guys who brought us 2 decades of losers. Have you ever seen how HR and search committees work. Most of the best selling new authors were rejected by all the publishing companies. It's a crap shoot and they know it. Anyway, they aren't going to be truthful to some newspaper if they want to get Tacko late in the first round. And as far as a non-skinny, 7-6 player, scouts have no experience because there haven't been any lately.

As far as improving his game, he has and much faster and farther than expected. But you believe he can benefit more by staying. Perhaps if he were at Kentucky or UNC (and only perhaps). This year and every year, the lottery is college frosh and 18-20 year old internationals.Most of the rest of the first round are frosh, sophomores, and extremely young internationals. So how does a 22 year old junior get lottery or near-lottery money next year? Huh?

dog_huh.jpg

dog-confused-huh-150x150.jpg

Reactions: Nyght Shadow
This conjecture is ridiculous....you disagree with experts who get paid to evaluate talent for a living and that's your prerogative....but Tacko has been told what to do, now it's up to him to improve in these areas....I do take issue with your suggesting that Tacko can't improve his game at UCF now that he knows what to work on....I believe that Tacko has the ability and fortitude to work on his game and continue to improve significantly so your comment is very impertinent.....
I can tell him what he needs to work on. He didn't need to declare for that. They are just going through the process because they can.

You can't compare any of these past players and their college development to the development of Tacko.
All of those players that you mentioned had to or have to fine tune their skills at a very detailed level. Tacko needs to improve on his very basic skills, which can be taught at the college level and while playing in actual full college games. There is a much broader range of improvement
in skills that is seen with a raw 7'6" player vs say a shooting guard who has played basketball his whole life

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/prospect-rankings/centers/
Ranked as 3rd best center available in the draft and project 24th pick.
Most GMs won't be looking for a true center because none have been available. So it all depends on how many teams are tired enough of losing TV ratings, attendance, and games.
That last sentence makes it sound like he would just get picked up for the flash of him being an out of the ordinary player physically. The hype for that would fade pretty fast if he didn't produce on the court, which I don't think he could do right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT