ADVERTISEMENT

First question to any bball recruit:

Can you hit free throws?

The one thing I've learned from going to practices for years is that some players are just gamers and some are not. Yes they all can make FTs in practice. It's different in a game.

The one thing I've learned from going to practices for years is that some players are just gamers and some are not. Yes they all can make FTs in practice. It's different in a game.
Pressure is a funny thing. From experience, i could go 20/20 in practice all day, but come game time, not so simple.

Reactions: UCFhonors
I think it's more about focus and concentration rather than skill. I hit 50% in the game no matter what. The louder it got, the better, because it drowns everything out.

The whole point in practicing is so there's nothing mechanical to remember. Just a mind game.

Reactions: Miltonian
Can you hit free throws?

At a game pace.

Odds are...UCF players can easily hit free throws on their own...before practice...while their heart beat is basically at rest.

They obviously have struggled of late to hit free throws in the middle of games...when they are tired...when their heart beat is obviously elevated...as that is hard to duplicate in practice.

At a game pace.

Odds are...UCF players can easily hit free throws on their own...before practice...while their heart beat is basically at rest.

They obviously have struggled of late to hit free throws in the middle of games...when they are tired...when their heart beat is obviously elevated...as that is hard to duplicate in practice.

My old coach would beg to differ. Run about 20 suicides, then free throw time lol

Reactions: muckdawg24
My old coach would beg to differ. Run about 20 suicides, then free throw time lol

I did reference BEFORE PRACTICE...as almost no one is doing suicides before practice.

Any repetition is good (even on your own in the practice facility), but in-game performance of late has been disastrous...which wasn't the case for many of our earlier Nov/Dec/early Jan games.

It has to improve and hopefully it will tonight.

UCF is now 2nd to last (10th place) in AAC Conf Game FT: 65.2% and what makes that stat even worse...UCF has easily attempted the most FT's in the conf (342 in 15 games), so that equates to 119 missed FT's...which could have been the difference in some of our close conf loses.

Reactions: muckdawg24
I did reference BEFORE PRACTICE...as almost no one is doing suicides before practice.

Any repetition is good (even on your own in the practice facility), but in-game performance of late has been disastrous...which wasn't the case for many of our earlier Nov/Dec/early Jan games.

It has to improve and hopefully it will tonight.

UCF is now 2nd to last (10th place) in AAC Conf Game FT: 65.2% and what makes that stat even worse...UCF has easily attempted the most FT's in the conf (342 in 15 games), so that equates to 119 missed FT's...which could have been the difference in some of our close conf loses.
I do agree with you on the bottom half, but...who in the hell shoots free throws before practice??

I do agree with you on the bottom half, but...who in the hell shoots free throws before practice??

Most players do, before and after...especially at their 24/7 access practice facility. Dawkins & Asst Coaches (and before him Jones) talked about it all the time.

Reactions: UCFhonors
Most players do, before and after...especially at their 24/7 access practice facility. Dawkins & Asst Coaches (and before him Jones) talked about it all the time.
Joke went just over the head. But in reality, nobody does any amount of shooting for practice, whether free throws or layups, until warmed up. Semantics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT